ADVERTISEMENT

What if the NCAA went to 4/5 regional super-conferences?

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
That would be really cool I think. Much better than the current get-up. Though I doubt UK makes it out of this STACKED conference. CFB would be really fun though lol.

Big 12/plains conference
Kansas
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma state
Kansas state
Colorado
Boise state
Wyoming

The Big ten/Midwest conference
Indiana
Ohio state
Iowa
Iowa state
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan state
Michigan
Purdue

The SEC/Southern conference
Kentucky
Louisville
Tenneesee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Auburn
Virignia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Florida
Florida state
Miami
Georgia
Arkansas
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Ole miss
Miss state
Georgia tech
Wake Forrest
NC state

The pac12/Western conference
Oregon
Oregon state
Washington
Washingon state
USC
UCLA
SDSU
Stanford
Cal
Utah

Then a conference centered on the east coast and new england/mid atlantic
Syracuse
Maryland
Pitt
Boston College

Shift everything west of Mississippi and east of Wyoming to the plains. Include Arkansas in that.

Kentucky, W. Virginia, and lil brother should probably be in the "big 10" region since we are in the Ohio Valley.

I like your idea and think that is eventually where we end up. But no way will one conference have 25 members and another has 10. I think the total number will be much smaller. I doubt the small schools like Wake will be there, instead they will end up being a very good team in the division just under the top group.

I think we have 4 divisions thatlook somet
hing like this

North East
1. Pitt
2.PSU
3. VT
4. WVU
5. OSU
6. MICH ST.
7. MICH
8. WIS
9. ND
10. Illy
11. UV
12. UK
13. LOUIS
14. Purdue
15. RUT
16. SYRACUSE

SOUTHEAST
1. MIAM
2. FSU
3. UF
4. GT
5. UGA
6. SOCAR
7. CU
8. UNC
9. NCST
10. UT
11. BAMA
12. AU
13. OM
14. MSST
15. LSU
16. UCF

PLAINS
1. OU
2. OKST
3. TEXAS
4. A&M
5. TCU
6. SMU
7. Baylor
8. Houston
9. Arky
10. Missouri
11. Kansas
12. Kansas St
13. Iowa
14. Iowa St.
15. Nebraska
16. Texas Tech

WESTERN

1. ARIZONA
2. ASU
3. COLORADO
4. USC
5. UCLA
6. CAL
7. STANFORD
8. UTAH
9. BYU
10. OREGON
11. OREGON ST
12. WASH
13. WASH ST
14. Utah St.
15. Minn
16. Boise

That's just done in areas and you have to start somewhere. But all are 16 teams and have equal voting power.

Shift everything west of Mississippi and east of Wyoming to the plains. Include Arkansas in that.

Kentucky, W. Virginia, and lil brother should probably be in the "big 10" region since we are in the Ohio Valley.
Lol what? Below the ohio river and east of the Mississippi=Southeast.

Horse is way, Way, WAY out of the barn. wishing the ncaa has any say on organizing sports, especially now as it is in full retreat on everything. Not sure this proposal would have worked even 60 yrs ago.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I like your idea and think that is eventually where we end up. But no way will one conference have 25 members and another has 10. I think the total number will be much smaller. I doubt the small schools like Wake will be there, instead they will end up being a very good team in the division just under the top group.

I think we have 4 divisions thatlook somet
hing like this

North East
1. Pitt
2.PSU
3. VT
4. WVU
5. OSU
6. MICH ST.
7. MICH
8. WIS
9. ND
10. Illy
11. UV
12. UK
13. LOUIS
14. Purdue
15. RUT
16. SYRACUSE

SOUTHEAST
1. MIAM
2. FSU
3. UF
4. GT
5. UGA
6. SOCAR
7. CU
8. UNC
9. NCST
10. UT
11. BAMA
12. AU
13. OM
14. MSST
15. LSU
16. UCF

PLAINS
1. OU
2. OKST
3. TEXAS
4. A&M
5. TCU
6. SMU
7. Baylor
8. Houston
9. Arky
10. Missouri
11. Kansas
12. Kansas St
13. Iowa
14. Iowa St.
15. Nebraska
16. Texas Tech

WESTERN

1. ARIZONA
2. ASU
3. COLORADO
4. USC
5. UCLA
6. CAL
7. STANFORD
8. UTAH
9. BYU
10. OREGON
11. OREGON ST
12. WASH
13. WASH ST
14. Utah St.
15. Minn
16. Boise

That's just done in areas and you have to start somewhere. But all are 16 teams and have equal voting power.
Virgina and Kentucky schools in the northeast conference? Weird.

NCAA doesn’t have the power to “go to” anything as it relates to CFB. They’re a flea riding a big dog to wherever the dog wants to go.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yeah true. That's the issue I ran into as well. There's so many damn southern schools that it's hard not to glob them all together.

Several northern stats don't have a D1 team in state, and some only have 1 while you have Florida with 4 teams that would likely be in the mega conference and Texas with even more, Cal too. Heck even NC has 4, but I don't think all make it to the mega conferences, Wake and Duke would be borderline at best. They might even join an Ivy league for football, just speculating with that comment.

Several northern stats don't have a D1 team in state, and some only have 1 while you have Florida with 4 teams that would likely be in the mega conference and Texas with even more, Cal too. Heck even NC has 4, but I don't think all make it to the mega conferences, Wake and Duke would be borderline at best. They might even join an Ivy league for football, just speculating with that comment.
I've often thought it would be interesting to pool a group like Cal, Stanford, Air Force, Northwestern, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Rice, Tulane, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Army, Navy. But good luck getting it together, and good luck keeping it together financially.

Add Notre Dame? That would create a barometer for the rest of the conference's strength, since Notre Dame would play some mammoth OOC games if playing this conference schedule... much as they do now.

It would have a (smallish) national audience that would look past geography to a different basis for association.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT