ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James

That’s a crazy stat that I’ve never heard. The other day I was arguing with two buddies in a group text about Lebron. I said he’s top 2. I think there IS an argument for him being the best but Jordan can have that title. But to act like people are idiots for thinking he is the best is kind of crazy.

Case and point, one buddy said “Lebron just kicked it out instead of shooting the layup. Kobe or Jordan would have never done that”. I was like, what the hell? Yeah, bad play, probably should have shot it. And yeah,that wasn’t his greatest 5 minutes in overtime, but the dude gets completely ridiculed after having a triple double. He played amazing and his stats in the opening series were incredible as well. But we judge him differently. If he misses a shot people go “oh yeah, see!?! He missed!!!!! JORDANS BETTER!” First off, the farther away we get from Jordan’s playing days the bigger the auto around him, so now people act like he never missed a shot, a game winner or lost for that matter. Jordan was a very good defender, as was Kobe, but NEITHER were as good as Lebron is. I don’t care what anyone says. He’s taller, he flops, blah blah blah, those are all excuses and terrible arguments. One buddy said “it all comes down to titles”. I said fine, Trent dilfer is better than Dan Marino then. That’s how stupid that is. It’s definitley a credible factor but it’s not the end all be all to the debate.

I’d like to see more misconceptions about Jordan disproved. He was absolutely amazing and an icon. Still is. But if he’s better than Lebron, that’s fine, but it’s at least still debatable.

Yea, that's the dumbest stat of all time. Robert Horry has 6.

Reactions: trav55
Yea, a lot of those dudes suck. Don't act like he's played with supreme talent, cause that ain't the truth. I'm not a fanboy, and virtually every analyst that talks about the Cavs talk about what a mediocre roster he's played with most of his career. As far as picking and choosing, that proves he sucks as a GM, but does nothing for your argument. He is one the best 2-3 players of all time. Period.

My argument was hes not better than Jordan. Top 3?, sure.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
An NBA championship is the greatest award in the game of basketball, and you just called it the dumbest thing for consideration of individual achievement and ability. Certainly it isn't the only thing worth considering, but you should feel wildly stupid about now.

The best thing the Lebron camp has going for them, other than Lebron - a great player, is Jordan's 2-year hiatus, which prevents history from demonstrating 8 titles in a row for Jordan. This seems a fair musing, considering all the musings used to bolster Lebron.

We will have to wait 10 - 20 years after Lebron is out of the league, and see how the comparisons go then, when both Jordan and James have completed their bodies of work. Until then, James has plenty of time to continue to succeed . . . more.

Or possibly fail.

Jordan was only out 1 full season and then was bounced out of the playoffs the next year by Orlando, I don't understand the argument that Jordan would've automatically won 8 straight.

Reactions: RipThru
Did someone really say that LeBron was a better defender than MJ? That’s a laughable statement. Sure he has chase down blocks and those things are spectacular. But possession to possession man to man defense it isn’t even close. Put it this way, MJ never would have allowed his opposite number to win Finals MVP at his expense. It’s happened to LeBron 3 times.

Did someone really say that LeBron was a better defender than MJ? That’s a laughable statement. Sure he has chase down blocks and those things are spectacular. But possession to possession man to man defense it isn’t even close. Put it this way, MJ never would have allowed his opposite number to win Finals MVP at his expense. It’s happened to LeBron 3 times.

That actually shows how great LeBron is, that whoever guards him, they win the Finals MVP. Kawhi as a pup, played with Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu and he won by "holding" LeBron to 29 points a game. Andre Iguodala won Finals MVP by "holding" LeBron to 35, 11, and 9, and many were making the case that LeBron should have won Finals MVP as a member of the losing team. Then finally, Kevin Durant won it simply because he was on the winning team. Once again, you LeBron haters never mention how Jordan got abused by an old and broken down Magic Johnson who had HIV at the time in game 1 of the NBA Finals (the only game that the Lakers won btw). Look, Jordan was a great defender, we all know this, but he didn't have to deal with guarding guys like Kevin Durant. It was a lot easier guarding guys like Hersey Hawkins and Jeff Hornacek.

For arguments sake, let’s say Durant wins like 3 or 4 more titles, and Lebron doesn’t win another. Does KD pass Lebron?

I think he’d have an argument with 5 titles. Did you watch the finals last year? Lebron couldn’t guard KD and got took him to school.

Nobody can guard KD, he's one of the best scorers the game of basketball has ever seen, what are you talking about? KD also can't guard LeBron, but LeBron could've averaged 40 points a game in that series, and it wouldn't have made a difference because KD is on the far superior team. It also makes it even tougher to guard KD when he has two of the best shooters the game has seen on the wing. Rings don't tell the whole story, if it did Bill Russell shuts everyone down.

That actually shows how great LeBron is, that whoever guards him, they win the Finals MVP. Kawhi as a pup, played with Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu and he won by "holding" LeBron to 29 points a game. Andre Iguodala won Finals MVP by "holding" LeBron to 35, 11, and 9, and many were making the case that LeBron should have won Finals MVP as a member of the losing team. Then finally, Kevin Durant won it simply because he was on the winning team. Once again, you LeBron haters never mention how Jordan got abused by an old and broken down Magic Johnson who had HIV at the time in game 1 of the NBA Finals (the only game that the Lakers won btw). Look, Jordan was a great defender, we all know this, but he didn't have to deal with guarding guys like Kevin Durant. It was a lot easier guarding guys like Hersey Hawkins and Jeff Hornacek.

Hilarious that anyone critical of LeBron is a “hater”. Equally hilarious that having the guys that you are matched up against one on one win Finals MVP on 3 separate occasions is somehow a feather in LeBron’s cap. The mental gymnastics you had to go to reach that conclusion is truly astonishing.

LeBron is a top 5 player of all time. That should be plenty good enough for most people. To reach GOAT status he would have to bypass Kareem, and i don’t think he’s gonna do that.

Hilarious that anyone critical of LeBron is a “hater”. Equally hilarious that having the guys that you are matched up against one on one win Finals MVP on 3 separate occasions is somehow a feather in LeBron’s cap. The mental gymnastics you had to go to reach that conclusion is truly astonishing.

LeBron is a top 5 player of all time. That should be plenty good enough for most people. To reach GOAT status he would have to bypass Kareem, and i don’t think he’s gonna do that.

I've never made the claim one way or another that LeBron is the GOAT because it can't be proven, it's all opinion. My problem is when people try to down other great players in order elevate the players that they belove. Every great player had their faults, yes that includes Jordan and Kareem. You pulled out a statistic with LeBron's opposite player winning Finals MVP without any context. Of course, whoever wins the series, a player from that team is going to win Finals MVP, and since Jordan never lost in the Finals, it would be impossible for anybody from the other team to win Finals MVP. Iguodala won Finals MVP by averaging 16 points and guarding a guy who averaged 35 points, but because his team won, he won the Finals MVP award, same thing with Kawhi Leonard.

So yes, it's quite obvious that if you are just marginal on offense and happen to matchup with LeBron, you're likely to win Finals MVP if your team wins. Kevin Durant is the only exception, as he is a great player, but let's not act like LeBron wasn't the 1st person in history to average a triple double in the Finals last year 33.6 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 assists, his team lost to a better team, that's it.

Last edited:
I find myself to be amused by all of the Lebron fanboys; they defend their hero harder than they would defend their own families. I don't think you can compare Jordan and Lebron; both are all-time great players. The game is completely different. The pace of play, the three-point line, and the emphasis on stats have completely changed the game. I'm reading on other boards touting Lebron stats, and some of them weren't even measured when Jordan played (Lebron hit 7 fadeaway shots, which is tied for the most in NBA playoff history......since this was measured since 2001-02). Lebron is the first 40 point/14 assist guy in playoff history (7 out of 14 assists came on made three-point shots).

Lebron is one of the greatest of all-time; unfortunately, he won't get to play with some of the other greats to truly know. I do believe that he is the most TALENTED player ever.

I find myself to be amused by all of the Lebron fanboys; they defend their hero harder than they would defend their own families. I don't think you can compare Jordan and Lebron; both are all-time great players. The game is completely different. The pace of play, the three-point line, and the emphasis on stats have completely changed the game. I'm reading on other boards touting Lebron stats, and some of them weren't even measured when Jordan played (Lebron hit 7 fadeaway shots, which is tied for the most in NBA playoff history......since this was measured since 2001-02). Lebron is the first 40 point/14 assist guy in playoff history (7 out of 14 assists came on made three-point shots).

Lebron is one of the greatest of all-time; unfortunately, he won't get to play with some of the other greats to truly know. I do believe that he is the most TALENTED player ever.

I'm sure you defended Kobe the same way LeBron fans defend him. Fact is, LeBron has more haters than Jordan and Kobe combined, and the only reason is because they're threatened by him. If people would just appreciate greatness instead of making stupid statements, there would be no reason to defend anything.

Reactions: michaeluk26
An NBA championship is the greatest award in the game of basketball, and you just called it the dumbest thing for consideration of individual achievement and ability. Certainly it isn't the only thing worth considering, but you should feel wildly stupid about now.

The best thing the Lebron camp has going for them, other than Lebron - a great player, is Jordan's 2-year hiatus, which prevents history from demonstrating 8 titles in a row for Jordan. This seems a fair musing, considering all the musings used to bolster Lebron.

We will have to wait 10 - 20 years after Lebron is out of the league, and see how the comparisons go then, when both Jordan and James have completed their bodies of work. Until then, James has plenty of time to continue to succeed . . . more.

Or possibly fail.

Measuring the number of individual championships one has is the dumbest way possible to determine who the best players of all time are. YOU are the one who should feel stupid. Bill Russell has 11. Nobody calls him the greatest of all time. As previously mentioned, Robert Horry has 7. I guess he is better than Jordan? Epic fail on your part little buddy.

I'm sure you defended Kobe the same way LeBron fans defend him. Fact is, LeBron has more haters than Jordan and Kobe combined, and the only reason is because they're threatened by him. If people would just appreciate greatness instead of making stupid statements, there would be no reason to defend anything.

Nah, If Kobe didn't play for Lakers, I would not be able to stand him. He should have retired three years before he did. Jordan had haters, but social media wasn't around like it is now. People also hate Lebron for the same reasons that they hate Duke. I don't hate Lebron, and I am certainly not threatened by him. At the end of the day, he just plays basketball, and gives us talking points when we're bored. Unless I gamble on things related to him, he, like every other NBA player gives us nothing more than some entertainment.

Jordan was protected the most of any player I have ever seen. Here is a NBA ref who was caught gambling on the games talking about the inner marketing of the NBA that goes on. I also agree here with the statement that Jordan killed team ball in the NBA and anybody who grew up watching the Lakers and Celtic team play know its true.
https://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/disgraced-nba-ref-spills-beans-about

It's really all opinion and subjective conversation. My guess would be that Labron has more assists, more rebounds, more blocked shots, and close in scoring average with overall more points.

Measuring the number of individual championships one has is the dumbest way possible to determine who the best players of all time are. YOU are the one who should feel stupid. Bill Russell has 11. Nobody calls him the greatest of all time. As previously mentioned, Robert Horry has 7. I guess he is better than Jordan? Epic fail on your part little buddy.

So this is constantly misrepresented. No one ever suggests Robert Horry is one of the greatest. Why? Because he was just a role player who happened to be on three good teams. But when you're discussing the GOAT, people use things to measure each of the subjects- talent, stats, MVPs, championships, the amount of help they had, etc.

The number of championships is always going to naturally come up as why someone is the GOAT. It's why no one says Marino is the GOAT. No one argues Bradshaw is either because you can look at stats and what not. But when someone looks at Brady and Manning, you don't think championships should be a factor in that argument?

On a semi-related note, I'm laughing at media for when they tried to overblow the Cavs struggles this year to try and create drama when i bet 90 percent of the country knew and still does know, that Lebron's Cavs are winning the East and they will lose again in the NBA Finals to the Warriors.

For arguments sake, let’s say Durant wins like 3 or 4 more titles, and Lebron doesn’t win another. Does KD pass Lebron?
Titles are accomplishments, doesnt tell you who the best player is. I think KD is an all time great and underrated but if you want to start counting rings theres a couple of role players you've never heard of from the 60's Celtics that have more than both of them combined.

??

Yeah all his teammates have been garbage over the years, especially these guys...

Dwayne Wade
Tristan Thompson
Kevin Love
Kyrie Irving
Shaq
Larry Hughes
Antawn Jamison
Chris Bosh
Mario Chalmers
James Jones
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Ray Allen
Isaiah Thomas Jr
Mo Williams
Drew Gooden
Anderson Varejao

You're really not helping your argument by naming a bunch of role players and dudes who were on the downside of their careers. There's players on that list that wouldn't even be a rotation player on any of the 16 playoff teams today if it's the version of them that LeBron played with. Also the fact that you called him Isaiah Thomas Jr shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. You really thought he was Zeke's son? LOL. And then again you go onto say that LeBron ran off Kyrie which is again false bs. Stop letting Sportscenter and Skip Bayless be your only source of basketball info.

Canadian Prime Minister just made a speech declaring that Canada will build a wall and LeBron will pay for it.

You're really not helping your argument by naming a bunch of role players and dudes who were on the downside of their careers. There's players on that list that wouldn't even be a rotation player on any of the 16 playoff teams today if it's the version of them that LeBron played with. Also the fact that you called him Isaiah Thomas Jr shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. You really thought he was Zeke's son? LOL. And then again you go onto say that LeBron ran off Kyrie which is again false bs. Stop letting Sportscenter and Skip Bayless be your only source of basketball info.

Yeah youre right about everything. Lebron is a notch above God.

Keep on worshipping a whiny flopper and ill continue rooting for players with integrity for the game.

thank you for applying your insistence so BOLDly. . . I understand you perfectly . . . so, number of technical fouls committed per season is a smarter way to determine who is the best player of all time? Number of times a player has avoided 3 second calls per season . . . a smarter way. Minutes played with only 1 foul to spare without fouling out . . . all of these things and an infinite more . . . smarter ways to determine who is the greatest player of all time than number of championships. You would bet your family farm on it. Btw, who IS the NBA player to appear in the most games with the fewest points scored?

You are clearly special.

I just noticed something about Lebron's games played. He's only played 82 games in a season once and 81 in a season once. Not that it means anything(he has played a ton of playoff games). Just something I didn't know.

Lol at ppl that hate on this dude for no reason...incredible yet again and 33 yrs old

Remember when jordan used to score 30 and 20 of them were from the line and 5-42 from the field..yeah lebron doesnt get that bc of his size

Last edited:
Lol at ppl that hate on this dude for no reason...incredible yet again and 33 yrs old

Remember when jordan used to score 30 and 20 of them were from the line...yeah lebron doesnt get that bc of his size

I dont like him because he tells us how great he is and he’s a staunch supporter of the worst President in U.S. history....when he’s not using his platform to bash the current one.

Last year remember when Cavs lost to GS in the finals everyone said Durant took the torch as the best player in the NBA. Now everyone keeps saying LeBron is the best player ? Why they saying this ? Stephen A Smith #### your the same guy who is saying LeBron is the best player on the planet today but if/when Cavs lose to GS again in the finals you will be saying how Durant is the best player in the NBA because GS has 4 all stars and the Cavs have 1 LeBron.

I dont like him because he tells us how great he is and he’s a staunch supporter of the worst President in U.S. history....when he’s not using his platform to bash the current one.

LeBron haters have to reach this much just so they can criticize. Hating a man because he supported a President that you didn't like, sad stuff right here.

LeBron haters have to reach this much just so they can criticize. Hating a man because he supported a President that you didn't like, sad stuff right here.

Sad stuff is you skipping right past him telling us how great he is. Can’t remember any of the GOATS doing that. Lots of pro wrestlers do it, lmao.

Trashy tribal politics, wow. What the hell does that have to with how good of a basketball player someone is? These Trump sheep are the dumbest people on the planet. That's not PC but they're against political correctness so I'm just gonna start calling it like it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT