ADVERTISEMENT

Lanning out of the running for AL job

People in Bama land are worried if they don't get a coach soon that half their roster could hit the portal.
Bama put a 72 hour goal on naming the successor. I fully believe they will have a new coach named over the weekend.

Kiffin should be the guy but, who knows what the dynamics between he and the booster class around Bama are?
Norvell wouldn't be a bad hire IMO. Has a lot of connections in the South and has revived a FSU program that was languishing in obscurity.
Dabo needs to get his head out of his butt and join the rest of college football in 2024.
Kirby Smart doesn't need Bama at this point.
Meyer would be a surprise pick. But, he has some sketchy ego baggage that might not fit well in Tuscaloosa.
Super darkhorse would be convincing Pederson to come out of retirement.
NONE of these names can approach the success that Saban brought to Bama. He built a dynasty that will likely never be equaled.
Not sure about that, Kirby Smart is doing his level best to create a dynasty at UGA and he's only 48 years old. He's got a Looooooong time left in Athens.

Vince Dooley started his career St AU and was an assistant there for 7 years. Well college career, coached a couple years of HS.
My point was if Auburn had named him head coach while he was there, do you think he would have ever left that job for UGA?

Nobody with an IQ is gonna want to follow Saban. Whoever it is, will just be short timer. The one after that guy will likely be the right one.

Not talking about the past. This thread is about the current Alabama job, and right now they are peers. There is no way Sark will leave what he has going on at Texas for an unknown Bama job. Texas is also stupid rich.
Did you forget the offensive coordinator job at Bama got Sark his job at Bama? If you use your logic for peers then you move the goalposts to fit your narrative.

Bama set a 72 Hour deadline, but I have to think much of this was in the works before Saban announced. I'm sure the Admin wasn't really blindsided by his announcement.

I don't believe it was a blindside. He announced at 5 the afternoon on the fist day of class. All the EE are stuck there unless they burn their transfer. Maybe all of them didn't commit because of Saban, but it is a dirty deal to the ones who did.

My point was if Auburn had named him head coach while he was there, do you think he would have ever left that job for UGA?

Probably not, but AU did come after him one time pre Herschel, can't remember who they ended up hiring, could have been Dye.

After missing their top 3, maybe 4 I think many of their fans feel 20m is a bargain.
Lanning was considered the top choice by the media. I doubt that was the case. And, I doubt Bama was going to pay $20 million for a buyout. Lanning knew that and he got out in front of it, IMO.

After missing their top 3, maybe 4 I think many of their fans feel 20m is a bargain.
Actually we don't really know who was offered the job. The way it generally works nowadays is guys aren't offered until it's known they'll accept. That's where backstories, agents, etc come in.

Not sure about that, Kirby Smart is doing his level best to create a dynasty at UGA and he's only 48 years old. He's got a Looooooong time left in Athens.
That's why I said Kirby doesn't need Bama to get to the top. He's already there.
But, I seriously doubt you'll ever see the kind of success Saban achieved at Bama duplicated anywhere else, including Georgia. The portal and NIL have changed things that much.

I am highly skeptical of DeBoer's ability to make his system work at Bama. He has no recruiting connections in the South and several Tide players have already entered the portal. I could be totally wrong though. He is apparently a offensive guru. Not sure if that will be enough to win at the SEC's flagship program.

Actually we don't really know who was offered the job. The way it generally works nowadays is guys aren't offered until it's known they'll accept. That's where backstories, agents, etc come in.

Schools aways do the same BS games with offered or not offered so the school can ultimately say we got our first offered. It's a wording game when the AD ask the agent would your client be interested for x about of years at x amount. Technically not offered, but knew what the answer would be if offed

Reactions: mrschwump
I'm inclined to think he's known for weeks.
I agree, the timing was to trap the EE at Bama because it's a lot harder to get out of an LOI if you attend class. Saban's announcement became public about 5 on first day of class for this semester. Anyone think that was coincidence with how detailed Saban is? I believe it was done to trap those kids who signed there because of Saban or force them to use a transfer.

Reactions: hmt5000
I agree, the timing was to trap the EE at Bama because it's a lot harder to get out of an LOI if you attend class. Saban's announcement became public about 5 on first day of class for this semester. Anyone think that was coincidence with how detailed Saban is? I believe it was done to trap those kids who signed there because of Saban or force them to use a transfer.
And people are saying it wasn't his wife's health either. He just was done with recruiting and NIL made him have to recruit his team every year all over again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT