ADVERTISEMENT

Craft Jet On the Move

There's a lot of important people in NYC all the time. No telling what they're doing

If you have to fly to NYC to make a face to face with a coach’s agent, I suspect there are any number of basketball contacts you may want to see before flying back. Heck, even touching base with Pitino is not crazy, if you have a relationship. Pick the man’s brain. It knows basketball.

Enough time has passed since the “source” leaked to CBS that you’d think you’d have an official press release by now. The longer it goes without an official press release, the more you start to wonder if it’s to keep the natives at bay until the celebration and parade is over.

It’s highly unlikely still but it’s been 2 hours since CBS said it was over…. Why the wait on UConn/Hurley’s side of an official statement
I'm not usually overly optimistic and am willing to just accept a no when I hear it.

But there has been NOTHING except that one tweet from Norlander. And it wasn't a direct quote from an agent or Hurley - but some "source". And when you read it, it sounds more like a buddy saying "hell no, my pal won't ever take that, he's UCONN through and through...not even $20m would do it, trust me".

It is quite strange that with all the publicity around UK literally being in NYC talking to Hurley's agent around a $100m offer hasn't been followed up quickly with a statement from anyone - Hurley, his agent, or even UCONN - that he is in fact staying and thanks for the offer, UK.

And the plane...it's still there...I know there are a lot of rational reasons, but these two things combined - no actual statement from anyone at UCONN or in Hurley's circle about officially declining such a huge offer, and plane still on the ground at LGA at 6 pm at night.

No telling why they are still there... but really lets be honest. It's NYC lots of contacts things to do.

Maybe they are sick of flying around the last two days and are staying overnight.

This is my being a realistic party pooper

I'm not usually overly optimistic and am willing to just accept a no when I hear it.

But there has been NOTHING except that one tweet from Norlander. And it wasn't a direct quote from an agent or Hurley - but some "source". And when you read it, it sounds more like a buddy saying "hell no, my pal won't ever take that, he's UCONN through and through...not even $20m would do it, trust me".

It is quite strange that with all the publicity around UK literally being in NYC talking to Hurley's agent around a $100m offer hasn't been followed up quickly with a statement from anyone - Hurley, his agent, or even UCONN - that he is in fact staying and thanks for the offer, UK.

And the plane...it's still there...I know there are a lot of rational reasons, but these two things combined - no actual statement from anyone at UCONN or in Hurley's circle about officially declining such a huge offer, and plane still on the ground at LGA at 6 pm at night.
Um...did you miss Hurley saying no on the Jim Rome show today?

• Sad
Reactions: catben

But there has been NOTHING except that one tweet from Norlander. And it wasn't a direct quote from an agent or Hurley - but some "source". And when you read it, it sounds more like a buddy our guy saying "hell no, my pal won't ever take that, he's UCONN through and through...not even $20m would do it, trust me".

And the plane...it's still there...I know there are a lot of rational reasons, but these two things combined - no actual statement from anyone at UCONN or in Hurley's about officially declining such a huge offer, and plane still on the ground at LGA at 6 pm at night.
Kinda where I am too.

I’ve assumed he would say no all along but the CBS statement seemed odd to me and Zagoria trying to spin the negative “embarrassing” narrative from an “anonymous coach” right at the same time……and then radio silence since.

It’s just weird that an official press release hasn’t dropped yet bc this isn’t a verbal “I’m removing my name from consideration”. A meeting w agents and offer is almost always met with something official on the other end either way once it’s decided.

Kinda where I am too.

I’ve assumed he would say no all along but the CBS statement seemed odd to me and Zagoria trying to spin the negative “embarrassing” narrative from an “anonymous coach” right at the same time……and then radio silence since.

It’s just weird that an official press release hasn’t dropped yet bc this isn’t a verbal “I’m removing my name from consideration”. A meeting w agents and offer is almost always met with something official on the other end either way once it’s decided.
I guess one guy here thinks him going on the Jim Rome show today and saying no is enough. Of course, I have no idea what time that show was, and if it was specifically discussing TODAY's offer and UK being in NYC.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Um...did you miss Hurley saying no on the Jim Rome show today?
Did you miss Cal saying he was staying at Memphis? Or Saban Staying at LSU and also again staying as the Dolphins coach adamantly? Words w a mic in your face on the spot are meaningless. Official meetings and offers are countered with official statements.

It’s still unlikely but there will be an official statement made eventually

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Did you miss Cal saying he was staying at Memphis? Or Saban Staying at LSU and also again staying as the Dolphins coach adamantly? Words w a mic in your face on the spot are meaningless. Official meetings and offers are countered with official statements.

It’s still unlikely but there will be an official statement made eventually
When was there an official meeting? If you think an official meeting confirmation and statement are coming you are going to have quite the wait.

If Pitino were up in NY at the moment (I have no idea where he is), think it would be worthwhile to get a feel for him. Nothing close to an offer, but just some dudes talking hypotheticals.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Jet is about to leave LGA - started a new thread. Why not.

Will be interesting to see where it's heading. Back to LEX?
Looks like they were waiting on weather. The northern part of the convective sigmet just downgraded so they can shoot over to Cleveland instead up to Buffalo and down now to avoid the rest of the convective area.

Strapped? Alabama makes $60 million more than Kentucky annually. So in three years, Alabama pulls in $180 million more than Kentucky. Think about that for a second. That is before the new SEC contract starts next year for both schools. Kentucky is not a peer with Alabama when it comes to money. Alabama competes with Ohio State and Texas for revenue. Alabama can afford to pay whatever they want. The question is never about "can" for schools like Alabama and Texas etc., it's "will they" and we can't answer that.

They wouldn't

I don't think Kentucky would pay more than $8 million for Nate Oats. He has been to 1 Final 4 and has no national titles. Alabama is already paying him on average $7.5 million now which was signed before his Final 4 this year. One true thing, $8 million is way more money for Kentucky than it is for Alabama. There comes a point when you have to ask how much a coach is worth.

Total Athletic Department Revenue National Rank - March 14, 2024
#3 Alabama Total Athletic Department Revenue: $214,365,357
#16 Kentucky Total Athletic Department Revenue: $159,079,024

NCAA Finances: Revenue and Expenses by School

Total Men's Basketball Revenue - National Rank
#12 Kentucky Men's Basketball Revenue: $22,667,255
#17 Alabama Men's Basketball Revenue: $19,047,972

Schools That Make the Most Money Off College Basketball

Reactions: sambowieshin
I don't think Kentucky would pay more than $8 million for Nate Oats. He has been to 1 Final 4 and has no national titles. Alabama is already paying him on average $7.5 million now which was signed before his Final 4 this year. One true thing, $8 million is way more money for Kentucky than it is for Alabama.

Total Athletic Department Revenue National Rank - March 14, 2024
#3 Alabama Total Athletic Department Revenue: $214,365,357
#16 Kentucky Total Athletic Department Revenue: $159,079,024

NCAA Finances: Revenue and Expenses by School

Total Men's Basketball Revenue - National Rank
#12 Kentucky Men's Basketball Revenue: $22,667,255
#17 Alabama Men's Basketball Revenue: $19,047,972

Schools That Make the Most Money Off College Basketball
Can you please go back to the alabama board? If the boosters want Oats they'll buy him out. Just relax. You can't stop it. Kyle Tucker already said Oats is highly interested. But the AD didn't want to haggle the buyout down. If Donovan says no you bet your ass the boosters will buy that out. We just offered Hurley 100 million dollars. 18m is chump change.

Can you please go back to the alabama board? If the boosters want Oats they'll buy him out. Just relax. You can't stop it. Kyle Tucker already said Oats is highly interested. But the AD didn't want to haggle the buyout down. If Donovan says no you bet your ass the boosters will buy that out. We just offered Hurley 100 million dollars. 18m is chump change.
Wait, you think Kentucky can outbid Alabama? Kentucky isn't one of the big dogs when it comes to money. That $100 million you're referring to would be made up in less than 2 years at Alabama just based on the $65 million revenue gap between Kentucky and Alabama annually.

• Haha
Reactions: MbergCat
Wait, you think Kentucky can outbid Alabama? Kentucky isn't one of the big dogs when it comes to money. That $100 million you're referring to would be made up in less than 2 years at Alabama just based on the $65 million revenue gap between Kentucky and Alabama annually.
Lol, it's not about outbidding. Oats wants to be at UK. Alabama is not UK. Like I said, if they want it, they'll buy it out.

Lol, it's not about outbidding. Oats wants to be at UK. Alabama is not UK. Like I said, if they want it, they'll buy it out.
So why did he say that he did not want to be anywhere other than Alabama? Do you know who else was the guy on this board over the last 24 hours? Scott Drew and where is he?

So why did he say that he did not want to be anywhere other than Alabama? Do you know who else was the guy on this board over the last 24 hours? Scott Drew and where is he?
Being an Alabama fan I'm sure you know what coach speak is. Drew accepted but his family did not.

But they had Saban then! The SEC is revenue sharing outside of bowl games. Yes, the last few years have been GREAT for Bama but the next ones are not as certain. In a way, we're spending Bama money in out search for a coach for our Bball team. I bet that hurts just a little! And, it could be used to hire your coach! Ouch!

Your post to like ratio is .0047.

4 one thousands of a percent of your posters have been liked. LOL

But they had Saban then! The SEC is revenue sharing outside of bowl games. Yes, the last few years have been GREAT for Bama but the next ones are not as certain. In a way, we're spending Bama money in out search for a coach for our Bball team. I bet that hurts just a little! And, it could be used to hire your coach! Ouch!
I could pull athletic department revenue from 2005-2007 for you. Alabama has always led the SEC in revenue even before Saban. I think Alabama pulled in $137 million way back in 2006.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I could pull athletic department revenue from 2005-2007 for you. Alabama has always led the SEC in revenue even before Saban. I think Alabama pulled in $137 million way back in 2006.
I stand by what I said as it doesn't dispute you in any way except you read more into it. Their football program has been their major money maker for ages and with the sec being a revenue sharing conference, Bama's money can be used by us to hire their coach. That's all. Not splitting hairs but yeah, they had another hayday with Saban and the future is unknown, as is ours.

Why don't you guys pay your BB coach as much as we do?
We pay our basketball coach what he is worth. Nate Oats made 2 sweet 16’s and won the conference twice with 2 more tournament wins prior to his recent contract. We gave him a raise to an average of $7.5 million over the entirety of his new contract before the SEC tournament started this year. That was also before he made an elite 8 and Final 4. Would Kentucky have paid him that with those accomplishments?

If anything, we actually do pay our basketball coach better than Kentucky based on results.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, the driving reason I'd want Hurley at this point is to just STFU every person out there that is saying "I've known Hurley since he got off his momma's titty and he ain't coming to Kentucky!"

I want America to know that when Kentucky calls, you answer the phone.

my concern is the guy is going to turn into Bobby Knight at UK

Way to go dude, now even more people are laughing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT