ADVERTISEMENT

KU/Adidas paid players; FBI files more charges

Whether the players themselves actually received the money is irrelevant.

Giving funds to a student athlete’s family or friends is also a violation and considered an extra benefit that impacts the student athlete’s eligibility.
Yep.

Catphight is the Marcel Marceau of Rupps Rafter (look it up young fellas)

More like...

cpac.jpg

Reactions: Montana81
Wasn’t KU who paid it was Adidas. In most of the cases the schools didn’t know it was he shoe company steering the kids to the school that they are under contract with
How does the shoe company know a school even wants a kid? Maybe the school showed interest but backed off for
one of myriad reasons. To think there wasn't some communication is terribly naive.

Without reading any of this thread, lemme guess: anything Cal has done has been ignored/downplayed/rejected. "That's different" has been stated at least 36 times.

Amirite? What do I win?

Without reading any of this thread, lemme guess: anything Cal has done has been ignored/downplayed/rejected. "That's different" has been stated at least 36 times.

Amirite? What do I win?

Whenever a poster doesn't bother to read the board and then responds, he or she always just looks stupid. Case in point. Thanks for playing. I was a bit bored today! [roll]

Reactions: Ugoff
How does the shoe company know a school even wants a kid? Maybe the school showed interest but backed off for
one of myriad reasons. To think there wasn't some communication is terribly naive.

Yes, it’s quite a stretch to believe that there was no collaboration between the school and the shoe company on who the school wanted and some understanding on the school’s part of what the shoe company would be doing to secure the commitment of those players. If you’re a KU fan you just have to hope they covered their tracks better than Louisville did.

Shoe companies have a vested interest in maximizing their brand. To do that they steer players to the top programs. You don't need school involvement to do so.

1. Sponsor a kid's AAU team.
2. Find out which schools the kid is interested in.
3. If none of the schools are of their brand (Nike, UA, Adidas), suggest geographical alternatives which have a sponsorship contract with your brand. If none, stop sponsoring that AAU team and move to the next. If one is an alternative, pay handler to direct the kid to one of the potential schools.

It's not that complicated. Does everyone believe college football recruiting is on the up and up too?

Just how exactly does Adidas know what a program needs without some interaction from said program? Answer: They don't! There is someone on staff that is relaying the needs of the program and it makes its way to the shoe companies. They are not shelling out thousands of dollars to all of these recruits in hopes of them committing to the school that wears their brand. That's way too big a risk. It's much easier and profitable to have the school tell you what they need or what kid they want and have the shoe company leaches go after them to sponsor them and convince them they should go to an Adidas school like Kansas.

adidas isn’t the only shoe company steering players to schools, if you don’t think Nike has been doing the same thing you’re nuts. Bagley’s parents went from homeless to a mansion pretty quick.

Do you have proof of this or is this purely speculation? If the mansion thing is true, how do you know the money came from Nike and not Duke, an agent, or someone didn’t give him a loan based on future earnings?

So anyway, did I nail it?

Not even close. Basically a bunch of KU fans claiming that since they are listed as a “victim” in the probe that KU and the rug doctor knew nothing and the rational posters pointing out the obvious that they absolutely did know.

Tell RC high for us!

Reactions: preacherfan
Shoe companies have a vested interest in maximizing their brand. To do that they steer players to the top programs. You don't need school involvement to do so.

1. Sponsor a kid's AAU team.
2. Find out which schools the kid is interested in.
3. If none of the schools are of their brand (Nike, UA, Adidas), suggest geographical alternatives which have a sponsorship contract with your brand. If none, stop sponsoring that AAU team and move to the next. If one is an alternative, pay handler to direct the kid to one of the potential schools.

It's not that complicated. Does everyone believe college football recruiting is on the up and up too?
KU has been successful or lucky at explaining away issues that would have brought down 95% of other college programs,they may not be either this time or they might yet again.It doesn't change the fact that KU is probably second only to UNC when it comes to being corrupt dating back to the early 2000's

It comes down to whether the NCAA finds it more valuable to save KU or save face and not be a laughing stock as an organization.The answer to that question is the only thing that stands between KU skating and being held somewhat accountable for what they have done

Why come to a UK board to defend this stuff,go to the main board,it gets old and is like talking to a wall,folks like you and R C Texas can't really believe the stuff you post here, do you only do it for argument purposes.

Reactions: Schwagg
Hey Bagley wouldn’t have gotten into any school but Dook with his high school track record !! If he tried to go to Kentucky they would still be investigating him , but the rat got him cleared in less than two weeks !! Tell me that’s happened before !!

Not even close. Basically a bunch of KU fans claiming that since they are listed as a “victim” in the probe that KU and the rug doctor knew nothing and the rational posters pointing out the obvious that they absolutely did know.
us!

So I was way off thinking you defended every move Cal has ever made in his career?

That's very surprising. Honestly, I had expected the old trusty "That's different" rebuttal from y'all.

So I was way off thinking you defended every move Cal has ever made in his career?

That's very surprising. Honestly, I had expected the old trusty "That's different" rebuttal from y'all.

Cal really hasn’t been brought up in this thread since the topic of discussion is the latest FBI releases naming numerous KU players being paid. If Cal was mentioned, I must have missed it.

Does Self know or not know about what goes on at KU? Does he assist in the cover-ups or is he clueless about what goes on there? Does he run the show at KU or is he like Wooden at UCLA in the 60's? Self has been there thru more problems that Cal has has at UMass,Memphis and UK combined.Has he learned nothing about how to run an above board program or does he just not feel the need to do so?

Reactions: CatfanMike47

This is fascinating. You’re arguing against rebuttals that no one is making.

What’s even more entertaining, is that you seem to think this is winning a debate.

Does Self know or not know about what goes on at KU? Does he assist in the cover-ups or is he clueless about what goes on there? Does he run the show at KU or is he like Wooden at UCLA in the 60's? Self has been there thru more problems that Cal has has at UMass,Memphis and UK combined.Has he learned nothing about how to run an above board program or does he just not feel the need to do so?

^^^^^^^

aCh.gif

Do we know that for sure? Apparently ku was screwed by the car accident but we don't know what happened just like pj Hairston at unc.

They took it seriously enough that the length of the investigation prompted Preston to make the unprecedented move of leaving the team mid year to join a pro team.

If they weren’t taking it seriously, I would’ve expected a much swifter resolution.

out of Cal and Self...who has had vacated seasons?

out of Cal and Self...who has had vacated seasons?

Engaging in middle school debate team level apologetics on a rival school’s message board does nothing to help save KU from potential NCAA ramifications.

Might want to find more constructive ways to deal with your nervousness about KU’s future.

Engaging in middle school debate team level apologetics on a rival school’s message board does nothing to help save KU from potential NCAA ramifications.

Might want to find more constructive ways to deal with your nervousness about KU’s future.
Yeah and whatever happened in Cals past hasn't diminished or hindered his success here ONE BIT. Its basically the only fodder envious fans of other teams have. And they go back to time and time and time again.

This is fascinating. You’re arguing against rebuttals that no one is making.

What’s even more entertaining, is that you seem to think this is winning a debate.

If I remember correctly, he once told all UK fans to burn in hell and that he'd never post here again.

Just how exactly does Adidas know what a program needs without some interaction from said program? Answer: They don't! There is someone on staff that is relaying the needs of the program and it makes its way to the shoe companies. They are not shelling out thousands of dollars to all of these recruits in hopes of them committing to the school that wears their brand. That's way too big a risk. It's much easier and profitable to have the school tell you what they need or what kid they want and have the shoe company leaches go after them to sponsor them and convince them they should go to an Adidas school like Kansas.

You know that the big schools call the top players and gauge interest in being recruited. Kid says yes or no. Agents for the shoe companies ask the kid/handlers which school they are interested in voila ... easy peasy.

Look recruiting is corrupt. That's common knowledge. Some schools are complicit (Arizona/Louisville), some schools are not. This thread is great with all the meme's poking fun at KU and is a fun read. I am just reading the allegations at face value. They say KU was not involved. I outlined how easy that is to believe. But I do enjoy the twisting of the allegations to make KU and Self look guilty as sin. That's part of the fun of being rivals.

You know that the big schools call the top players and gauge interest in being recruited. Kid says yes or no. Agents for the shoe companies ask the kid/handlers which school they are interested in voila ... easy peasy.

Look recruiting is corrupt. That's common knowledge. Some schools are complicit (Arizona/Louisville), some schools are not. This thread is great with all the meme's poking fun at KU and is a fun read. I am just reading the allegations at face value. They say KU was not involved. I outlined how easy that is to believe. But I do enjoy the twisting of the allegations to make KU and Self look guilty as sin. That's part of the fun of being rivals.

If Self didn’t know, why did he hold Preston out all year? Surely it wasn’t because of a shitty car....he held him out in fear because that is right when all the FBI shit came to light and he knew the party was over.

To your first point, if a school calls a kid and the kid is interested, why would they need to pay him? That makes zero sense. Oh let me guess, because there is a Nike school offering him money and he is going to go there if Adidas doesn’t pony something up right?

If Self didn’t know, why did he hold Preston out all year? Surely it wasn’t because of a shitty car....he held him out in fear because that is right when all the FBI shit came to light and he knew the party was over.

To your first point, if a school calls a kid and the kid is interested, why would they need to pay him? That makes zero sense. Oh let me guess, because there is a Nike school offering him money and he is going to go there if Adidas doesn’t pony something up right?

He didn't know about Preston until the car incident, then the compliance went digging on how he came to have that car. The mom probably stonewalled and the kid was held out. That's not too complicated.

Coaches call kids to gauge interest in being recruited - ALL coaches do. Kid is then courted by MANY coaches who coach at programs with different shoe affiliations.

He didn't know about Preston until the car incident, then the compliance went digging on how he came to have that car. The mom probably stonewalled and the kid was held out. That's not too complicated.

Coaches call kids to gauge interest in being recruited - ALL coaches do. Kid is then courted by MANY coaches who coach at programs with different shoe affiliations.

That doesn’t answer the question on how money gets involved without the schools knowing though. If it came out that our recruits were getting paid by Nike, I would have to imagine that Cal would at least have knowledge of it. There is no way that Self didn’t know. There just isn’t, but then again, you root for a team that pretends to have 5 championships as well so you would probably believe anything.

That doesn’t answer the question on how money gets involved without the schools knowing though. If it came out that our recruits were getting paid by Nike, I would have to imagine that Cal would at least have knowledge of it. There is no way that Self didn’t know. There just isn’t, but then again, you root for a team that pretends to have 5 championships as well so you would probably believe anything.

Seriously? You aren't reading anything I've written.

Did you watch the 30 for 30 on Calipari? Calipari said he didn't know about Camby getting paid until Camby TOLD HIM. Believe it or not, it isn't that hard to hide from the coaching staffs of any university even with the best compliance programs.

I am just reading the allegations at face value.

Denial is a part of being a fan, I guess. PSU fans still say Paterno didn't know and didn't cover up. UNC fans still say that Roy wasn't involved and UNC wasn't running a diploma mill Arizona fans are saying that Miller didn't do anything wrong and KU fans are making dumb assertions.

Denial is a part of being a fan, I guess. PSU fans still say Paterno didn't know and didn't cover up. UNC fans still say that Roy wasn't involved and UNC wasn't running a diploma mill Arizona fans are saying that Miller didn't do anything wrong and KU fans are making dumb assertions.

I'm saying that the FBI allegations say the University is not involved. I think I have also said that I have no idea what the NCAA will do - they are the most inconsistent organization in how they dole out punishments. Also,

1. Preston never played at KU.
2. De Sousa's guardian says he never took any money. All the allegation says is that the FBI was told by those being directly accused that he did.

Who knows at this point.

Reactions: Lonestar2018
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT