ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky's W/L Record of Thurs/Sat vs Fri/Sun Games

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
I can't find any specific place where I can find this information. I wonder what this record is under Cal's tenure?

For some reason I feel better about the Thurs/Sat games than the Fri/Sun ones.

Anyone know this info?

I can't think of a single reason to worry about how a team or coach has performed on a specific NCAAT schedule. Even if the historic record for UK is better on one vs. the other, there is no correlation to each year because each team is different, the opponents are different, the facilities are different, the game times are different, and even the way the games are played and the landscape that teams are built from (NIL, trade portal, etc.) are different.

I'm sure you're just trying to find anything at all to make you feel more confident going into the tourney, but this is one of those stats that has literally no impact on the outcome of a game.

I don't know the numbers on this, but I will say, for me personally, I like the Thursday/Saturday games better, but that's just because I'm impatient and want to see the Cats play sooner. I would say, if you're looking for numbers, maybe a better thing to look up is how well UK has done in particular NCAA sites and cities. I'd be curious to know how well UK has done in Pittsburgh, for example. I'd think we've done pretty well there, given its relative proximity to Kentucky compared to other potential sites.

Reactions: Farsight
The 2 most crushing losses over the last 30+ years I remember were the 92 Duke loss was on Saturday night and the 2005 Mich ST loss was on a Sunday. Those 2 REALLY hurt!!!

The big 2 during the Cal era were the 2010 and 2017 Elite 8 losses, but it's crazy that this Old Man can't remember what days those were on but can the ones from over 20 years ago!!

I went through our records in the NCAA tournament since Cal arrived and ran the numbers. I only included the first two weekends since after that it is Final Four scheduling. I did not separate out first weekend vs second. This data is combined. Here are the results.

Thursday: 9-2
Friday: 8-0
Saturday: 6-3
Sunday: 4-3

Honestly, by far the biggest difference is before and after 2015. Up to 2015 we were a combined 19-1 in the first two weekends. Since 2015 we are a combined 8-7 in the first two weekends. Post 2015 the numbers look like:

Thursday: 3-2
Friday: 4-0
Saturday: 1-2
Sunday: 0-3

If anything, what I would suggest is after the first game, don't expect us to win much. We have only tallied 2 total wins in the second weekend in the last 6 NCAA tournaments we have played in. We have never made it beyond the Sweet 16 since then, and have lost in the opening weekend 3 of 6 times.

• Sad
Reactions: catben and Farsight
I sometimes think it’s better to play on Friday because there would more than likely be an upset or two on Thursday where a coach can say “ this could happen to us”. More of a focus point. Hit the floor focused and poised in order to not be that next upset.

I would think Friday would be the best starting day because you can tell your team you will lose like team X on Thursday just did if you don't come out ready to play. I've got nothing for the Sunday record. Maybe the tougher opponents with better coaching is the difference there.

Friday/Sunday is best as a fan because you are guaranteed basically two days of enjoying the tournament in case UK exits early.

• Sad
Reactions: IbnSaran
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT