ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Mr. Basketball - Cam Justice

Friedas_Boss

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Has anybody watched him play?

Will his game translate to the next level at Vandy?

Thanks in advance.

I think his game translates well to the type of guard Stallings always seems to have at Vandy. Excellent 3 point shooter, ball handler, and FT shooter. Great basketball IQ. I have watched him play periodically since the 7th grade and I think he will be a solid guard for Vandy.

Will be pulling for his team. I'd love to see a team/ any team other than the ones for the lexington, l-ville, nothern Ky regions win the tournament.

The 1st Kentucky Mr. Basketball was "King" Kelly Coleman (1956), who holds the record Today for the most points scored in the Sweet 16, 185.
That's a WoW!

This post was edited on 3/18 8:49 AM by UKvisitor

Reactions: BlueSince92
I'm really excited about this team over the next few years and from what I've heard, Justice may be the best shooter we will have. He's apparently pretty special.

Freida, you will love him as a kid anymore. He is a great young man and will be a fine representative for Vanderbilt.

He is a great shooter from anywhere on the court. Can create his own shot in HS but probably won't be a strength for him in SEC; very high basketball IQ, excellent passer. Athletic but not a super athlete. I think he will do well at Vandy and can see him being a starter no later than his junior year.

I can tell you that Vandy just became everyone's second favorite team in Knott County. Just glad he didn't stick with his Tennessee commitment. Not sure I could ever root for them even if it was my son playing. 😎
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Vanderbilt has taken quite a few Kentuckians over the past 15 or so years, right? Rick Jones, Scott Hundley, Dan Langhi, Cam Justice, Ross Neltner...anyone else I'm forgetting?

Great kid. Great HS player. Will be really solid for Vandy. Just not UK caliber, which isn't a knock at all.

Still think Evan Hall is the better collegiate prospect.

I don't know the names, Vandy is probably #1 at taking KY Mr. basketball over the years. That's not a bad deal education wise for those players..

Originally posted by Friedas_Boss:
I haven't seen him play, but I will say "Cam Justice" is the most awesome name I've heard in a long time. I mean it's dadgum super-hero-esque.

PLAYING IN THEATERS EVERYWHERE: CAM JUSTICE and his side-kick SHAFT TRUTH starring in THE AMERICAN WAY.

Hope he succeeds at Vandy, but recent history sure leaves plenty of room for skepticism. Nowadays these rural Kentucky hotshots nearly always seem to look overwhelmed and in over their head when they move up to big boy ball. But maybe Justice will be the exception.

I have zero doubt he'll have a couple games against us where he'll hit six or seven threes...probably at Rupp Arena.

UK90, I understand your skepticism and there is definitely a reason for it. But Cam is a product of the AAU system too. He's played for one of KY's top summer teams in AAU and Nike's EYDBL league the last few summers too.

And Cam didn't put up those numbers just against other mountain schools. He put up same or bigger numbers in tournaments in Lexington, Louisville and Myrtle Beach where they played outstanding teams from Lexington, Louisville, Cincinatti, AZ state champs and AR state champs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Phil Cox and Scott Draud went to Vandy from Ky. I think I got their names correct.

Correct on Draud and Cox. Both great players. Draud was my favorite player as a kid and I pretty much modeled my shot after him (he had a perfect stroke).

Originally posted by Friedas_Boss:

Will his game translate to the next level at Vandy?

Thanks in advance.
I would say based on some clips I seen of him...yes, but maybe not his first year. Any idea what his national ranking is?

He gave somebody (the name escapes me) 63 in the Lexington Catholic tournament.

Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
Vanderbilt has taken quite a few Kentuckians over the past 15 or so years, right? Rick Jones, Scott Hundley, Dan Langhi, Cam Justice, Ross Neltner...anyone else I'm forgetting?
It seems there was a kid from Fort Thomas, KY (Scott Droud or Drowd?). Does that ring any bells with anyone.

LOL...looks like JimBR beat me to it. At least I named his hometown and first name (assuming I got that correct that is).
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/18 2:57 PM by SLONER67

It'll translate okay because a shooter is a shooter at virtually any level of basketball. I do think he'll struggle getting clean looks because he went side to side instead of attacking off the bounce the few times I've seen him, so teams will play underneath him and make him drive it. At the SEC level, I don't think he can do that consistently, but if you can shoot, you can play.

He has a nice (although it's probably mechanically flawed even though he's lights out) lean back on his jumper that will help him negate the lack of size against SEC wings, and it seems like the kid loves the game. Stallings has had players like him before, so he'll be utilized about as well as he can hope to be, and I think as he gets older and stronger and learns to put defenders on his hip and drive them to midrange for a floater/runner, he'll be a steady offensive contributor.

He's already built pretty strongly for a kid his age, so it isn't like he's someone that doesn't belong physically. He isn't that long, and isn't that fast or a great leaper, but he's heady and sturdy and can shoot it, and those guys have been finding a way to put it in the bucket for about a hundred years now.

Heisman, how about Barry Goheen and Dan Hall, both from North Marshall, as was Langhi? No one at Vandy made mre buzzer beater three pointers than Goheen.

Not sec level talent, but a good solid guard. Mid major talent, wont be able to create his own shot. Cameron mills type.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTJm_HZLvM

He had 39 in his last game in the Sweet 16 at Rupp. Looks like he can score the ball.

He can handle the ball and with better guards around him (and with big men setting the screens) he will become lethal.

Don't forget Kentuckian Brian Milburn, who accidentally slid into Rodney Dent's knee, tore Dent's ACL, and put a dagger into our already mediocre 1993-94 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT