ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky has ‘home-run hire’ lurking.

He’s been out of college long enough that today’s players don’t remember his Florida teams , and he’s never dealt with the portal. He’d need to hire staff to hit the ground fast with that stuff
Also, his primary success was tied to one single recruiting class. Combine that with the fact he's been away from college for so long, I don't think he's the slam dunk hire others seem to think. If we land him, would love to be wrong of course.

Rick Pitino coached Iona was the last team to lead UConn at halftime during the NCAA Tournament

Reactions: plumdog69
The incoming freshmen of next year weren’t even in first grade the last time we won a title with Anthony Davis

Yep. Squandered every bit of momentum we once had 10 years ago. Cal wrung us dry of just about everything and will continue when his players and recruits follow him.

Time to drain another program

Reactions: TM2013
I don't want Donovan. I think he is a good coach and would eventually win. But it would probably take more time with him. He has been away too long from college.
Hurley is who they need. That's the only HR hire

Reactions: TM2013
Why do we have to wait? If Donovan wants the job, he's going to leave. The Bulls will carry on.
that's kind of what I am thinking, I mean everyone believes he's pretty much going to be let go next year barring a miracle run

They have virtually no shot. Why strikeout at the UK job to just get bludgeoned in the first round and then get fired anyway from Chicago?
Because it's the NBA playoffs. It's also kind of bush league to just leave your team that's still in it.

He's got to look the Chicago Bulls in the face and tell them he's abandoning ship during the season." I would lose some respect for a coach that leaves in that situation. Those guys committed to giving it their all to win. He owes them the same.

“Hahaha, Donovan isn’t coming to UK! He’s already turned them down twice! How silly of an idea to try again…”

Signed,
The dudes who thought they were only good enough for the fat chicks.

• Love
Reactions: JimboBBN
He’s been out of college long enough that today’s players don’t remember his Florida teams , and he’s never dealt with the portal. He’d need to hire staff to hit the ground fast with that stuff
You're right today's players won't remember his Florida teams. But they will remember a fairly successful NBA coach. That will get their attention.
And NOBODY dealt with the Portal stuff just 3 years ago. It ain't that hard to figure out. One assistant could catch him up on it quickly.

Yes, waiting until April 17th (possibly longer) would put us behind the 8-ball. But he could reach an agreement before then, get an assistant in place who starts identifying portal targets, and contacts them.
He could even tell the Bulls (no conflict of interest) and say I'll coach however far you want me to this last bit of this season, or I'll step aside for an interim coach if you want.

Also, his primary success was tied to one single recruiting class. Combine that with the fact he's been away from college for so long, I don't think he's the slam dunk hire others seem to think. If we land him, would love to be wrong of course.

He went to the FF twice without that "one single recruiting class." 4 FFs with 2 titles at FLORIDA is remarkable success.

Reactions: plumdog69
Much more success and consistent record than Dan Hurley. Has Uk roots. You Might need a clue.
And how long has he been out of the college game? Have any of the kids we're recruiting heard of him? Hasn't he turned us down before? Has he set the pro game on fire? Check out the above and get back to us with what you've learned.

i haven't kept up with Billy D's record in the pros but he turned out to be a helluva coach and I'm assuming if he came he would be hungry. Would probably be a homerun. You can hire staff to bring recruits initially. Recruiting is something I wouldn't worry about with Donovan.

Reactions: cathead64
Omg omg we might not get those high school seniors that we have been doing so well with. You know, the top tier guys that are ready to leave before their first college game. Whatever will we do, Donovan doesn’t have any connections to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT