ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom offense just went to #1...

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
Defense dropped to 71.

Crazy year, but a lot of fun.

This is why I completely stopped paying attention to Kenpom and the rest. I sued to get all into it, but it's just eh......

there is no way there are 70 teams with better defense than UK. So I just gave up caring. College basketball stats are so overrated.

This is why I completely stopped paying attention to Kenpom and the rest. I sued to get all into it, but it's just eh......

there is no way there are 70 teams with better defense than UK. So I just gave up caring. College basketball stats are so overrated.

We just give up a lot of points per possession. But we usually get the job done.

Hopefully we will tighten it up next week, but good luck trying to guard us.

Reactions: Riverslynn010
We give up too many offensive rebounds to have a good defensive score. Today it seemed like the Dogs scored on every one they pulled away from us.

We just give up a lot of points per possession. But we usually get the job done.

Hopefully we will tighten it up next week, but good luck trying to guard us.

But I just never understood how Kenpom and these rating services can be so wrong. Like SDSU being number 1. There's probably 20 teams with better defense aren't there? I've watched them a few times and I never thought defensive juggernaut. Considering the conference I just don't get it.

We had the #1-2 defense last year and lost to Wisconsin. Duke had a pretty average defense up until the tourney. Point being, I'll take an explosive offense in the NCAAs and a serviceable defense to go with it. Would I take a top 20 defense, though? Of course.

I've said this is Cal's best team offensively

And the numbers are what they are. I mean it's not some made up metric. It's simply points per game on a possession basis weighed for SOS.

I don't know if there's 70 better defensive teams but the numbers are what they are because it's what we actually gave up on defense.

But I just never understood how Kenpom and these rating services can be so wrong. Like SDSU being number 1. There's probably 20 teams with better defense aren't there? I've watched them a few times and I never thought defensive juggernaut. Considering the conference I just don't get it.

It's not really "wrong". I mean we give up alot of points. It's not some off the wall metric. It's points per game but factoring in pace and SOS. I mean when people say Team A gives up 90 points per game, that's what happened. This is the same thing.

I think the reason people feel we aren't that bad defensively is because we play very good FG% defense. I mean really good. We hold teams to 44% eff FG%. That's 13th in the NCAA.

The problem is the other factors.....we are merely average at turning teams over, and we suck at rebounding and our opponents take a ton of free throws.

Hence why our def efficiency isn't great.

We had the #1-2 defense last year and lost to Wisconsin. Duke had a pretty average defense up until the tourney. Point being, I'll take an explosive offense in the NCAAs and a serviceable defense to go with it. Would I take a top 20 defense, though? Of course.

Your right. Ideally you'd want both of course but if you have to have one, take offense in the NCAA tournament all the time. Kinda flies in the face of the old adage of defense wins titles.

SDSU has been one of the best defensive teams in the country for a few years now. They are all defense and no offense. They are always long and athletic.

It's not really "wrong". I mean we give up alot of points. It's not some off the wall metric. It's points per game but factoring in pace and SOS. I mean when people say Team A gives up 90 points per game, that's what happened. This is the same thing.

I think the reason people feel we aren't that bad defensively is because we play very good FG% defense. I mean really good. We hold teams to 44% eff FG%. That's 13th in the NCAA.

The problem is the other factors.....we are merely average at turning teams over, and we suck at rebounding and our opponents take a ton of free throws.

Hence why our def efficiency isn't great.

SDSU is nowhere near a top defense. I understand what you're saying, but basketball stats are meaningless. theres too many conferences with different styles and strength of difficulty.

SDSU is nowhere near a top defense. I understand what you're saying, but basketball stats are meaningless. theres too many conferences with different styles and strength of difficulty.

Well the numbers are supposed to account for strength of schedule.

Whether it's accurate tho I have no idea....I actually wonder about that at times.

SDSU has been one of the best defensive teams in the country for a few years now. They are all defense and no offense. They are always long and athletic.

I don't mean to say they suck defensively and I know they plan that way, but when I watch them, eh........it's ok. number 1? I just don't see how.

So Murray and Ulis are the nations #1 offense basically...

lol other guys do things too.

We have a very good offensive rebounding team.........that's more on Poy, Willis and Lee than anything.

And our team doesn't turn it over.....that's on everyone.

So it's a total team effort but yeah Ulis and Murray are obviously the keys

Reactions: Premo__
I'd bet the past x amount of teams had pom d ratings low,like 30 being the cut off. Dook last year might be one of the Lower

I don't think they get SOS quite right.

You see the numbers sharpen up during the tournament when all the best teams are playing at their highest level.

Cream rises.

I've said this is Cal's best team offensively

And the numbers are what they are. I mean it's not some made up metric. It's simply points per game on a possession basis weighed for SOS.

I don't know if there's 70 better defensive teams but the numbers are what they are because it's what we actually gave up on defense.
And you pointed out its failure. SOS is arbitrary and biased. They use it far too much.

Duke's defense actually started improving over the second half of the ACC schedule. It's not like it just all of a sudden got good in the tourney

I think the disconnect is people equating efficient with effectiveness. We are effective without being very efficient.

How is it arbitrary and biased?

Because the notion that Kentucky isn't among the best in something is so offensive.

Georgia is a bad offensive team that scored well above its average conference points per possession. We won today and yesterday because our offense was transcendent.

The good news is that teams with improving offenses will tend to slack a tad on defense because it's not as necessary to win. That could explain some of our defensive depression.

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT