ADVERTISEMENT

People who have biting dogs...

Current dog looks like an American Dingo. Sweet dog until he sees another dog on a leash then he becomes the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney Tunes cartoons. Uncontrollable.

That sounds like our dog, have to take her way up in neighbors' front yards to avoid confrontations. Strangely, there are a handful of neighbors' dogs that she ignores. Across the street, neighbor has two bird dogs in a yard with an electric fence. They bark a little bit at our dog, but she hardly notices.

OTOH, there are several other dogs that other neighbors walk which send my dog into orbit, just literally hates them and wants to start a fight as soon as she sees them round the corner.

We suspect our dog does not have all the oars in the water, but at her age, what the hell are we going to do?

That sounds like our dog, have to take her way up in neighbors' front yards to avoid confrontations. Strangely, there are a handful of neighbors' dogs that she ignores. Across the street, neighbor has two bird dogs in a yard with an electric fence. They bark a little bit at our dog, but she hardly notices.

OTOH, there are several other dogs that other neighbors walk which send my dog into orbit, just literally hates them and wants to start a fight as soon as she sees them round the corner.

We suspect our dog does not have all the oars in the water, but at her age, what the hell are we going to do?
There is a story/fable in Germany about boxers. When God made dogs, he saved boxers for last because they were the most beautiful. Boxer was vain, so he ran to see himself in a mirror, but he couldn't stop in time and smashed in his nose as the clay wasn't dry yet. God left his nose smashed in to remind boxer of his vainness. All the little dogs were nice to boxer and he was good to them. The big dogs teased boxer, so he would fight them in a minute. Though obviously, the story is fiction, there is much truth in the story.

It goes beyond just biting. Owners are responsible for their dogs in other ways. I preface this by telling a story of in my subdivision, we have a dog park. Dogs go there to play and relieve themselves (they have a couple of dog poop bag dispensers in the park.) I have a 10 year old Mastiff / Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, the other day I took him to the park and another couple brought their dog in as we was there. My dog was walking trying to find a spot to take care of his business. The other peoples dog kept running over and pestering the hell out of my dog while he was trying to take a shit. After about 10 minutes I finally spoke up to the owners "can you please get your dog so mine can use the bathroom in peace?" The park is pretty big and plenty of room for multiple dogs, but they just stood there and let their dog pester the shit out of my dog. Luckily he is a very gentle dog and is not aggressive because if he was, he is 84 pounds of solid muscle and would destroy the other dog.

Was I wrong in speaking up to the owners to contain their dog ? They just stood there watching him and never even tried to call him ? I get it is a park and the dog was playing, BUT the owners should have at least called their dog to give my dog some space.

Last edited:
Was I wrong in speaking up to the owners to contain their dog ? They just stood there watching him and never even tried to call him ? I get it is a park and the dog was playing, BUT the owners should have at least called their dog to give my dog some space.
Nope.

I was walking the monster (pictured above in my last post) this morning when a man was in his garage getting ready to ride his bike around the neighborhood. He was not paying attention when his very small dog (10lbs at best) came out from the garage and started running and barking at the monster. Anatolia (Monster's name) just stopped and looked then turned away to continue the walk unconcerned.

We have had other dogs approach us in the past while walking and she has acted the same way in every instance, unconcerned and nonchalant. The only time I have seen her in fight mode is when our half pit named Kia (daughter named her) attacked her while she was running up and down the fence barking at another dog that was outside our fence. She ended that engagement as quickly as it begun by pinning Kia down with all teeth showing. Kia put her ears back and gave up instantly.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Nope.

I was walking the monster (pictured above in my last post) this morning when a man was in his garage getting ready to ride his bike around the neighborhood. He was not paying attention when his very small dog (10lbs at best) came out from the garage and started running and barking at the monster. Anatolia (Monster's name) just stopped and looked then turned away to continue the walk unconcerned.

We have had other dogs approach us in the past while walking and she has acted the same way in every instance, unconcerned and nonchalant. The only time I have seen her in fight mode is when our half pit named Kia (daughter named her) attacked her while she was running up and down the fence barking at another dog that was outside our fence. She ended that engagement as quickly as it begun by pinning Kia down with all teeth showing. Kia put her ears back and gave up instantly.
We currently have a boxer named Auggie. Our nearest neighbors are a half mile away. Auggie was in the front yard with us and a 10 or 12 pound dog came into the yard. He continually pestered Auggie and Auggie kept ignoring him. Finally he tried to mount Auggie. Auggie then pinned him exactly as you describe, but didn't hurt him.

Nope.

Glad to hear other people agree with my thinking. It is like those people live at the park. They are there daily for hours at a time. if they are there when we get there, I simply grab a bag, and continue on walking to another spot for my dog to go. I usually take him twice a day to the park to take care of business, sniff, and play for about 15/20 minutes. Absolutely no need to be there 2/3 hours at a time. Like I stated earlier, he is 10 so he is not exactly a ball of spunk. He is very tolerable, but not exactly real playful when young dogs approach him. My middle son has a pit and a border collie and he tolerates them and plays with them regularly, he just doesn't want to have much to do with strange dogs. I mean, I haven't even heard him bark in over 5 years, he is just a big ole gentle baby. Most people get intimidated by his appearance, he wouldn't bite a flea. My 6 year old grandson will lay on top of him while watching tv or playing games on my phone, he doesn't even budge. With his age, I am really surprised by his patience with strange / unfamiliar dogs.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Private property... for an uninvited visitor... No especially if not a serious medical injury. If your dog ran across the street and did that to a neighbor... Yea.... Bye. But a cockapoo... No way that actually hurt someone right? We are talking about dogs that seriously hurt people or other animals.

I'd let this cat watch as this dog was put down.
We have a Manx (pictured below) that bowed up on a stray dog (Big male Anatolian Shepherd) running around our neighborhood a week or so ago as I was sitting outside our privacy fence trying to get the stray dog to come to me. Kato (daughter named this one too) came out from the backyard and got in between me and the dog. He arched his back and gave I guess you call it a growl (the kind cats give) and surprised the dog (surprised me too) which quickly turned and left. Afterwards, Kato turned to me and got up in my lap and laid down. Had to give him attention and props for that.

Kitty.jpg

We had a man in our parish that was former 75th special forces his wife had passed and lived the rest of his days alone. There was always a problem with stray cats and dogs in the area until they mysteriously became less and less in numbers and the animal complaints went to zero. Years later I found out at his funeral mass that he built a .177 pellet gun with a suppressor and a scope that was fitted for night vision and only a handful of the people knew he was the one eliminating the problem and he was sought out to take care of more than the difficult strays without a word ever being said. One of his beer buddies told me he always shot from the inside of his house thru the big French backdoors and always at night. And the amount of pet owners that let them run around loose never saw theirs again either.
In the end we had animal free neighborhood and people knew not to let their pets outside unless leashed or fenced in. I miss that guy 🍺🇺🇸
What was he shooting with a .177 pellet gun? Yorkies?
No way he's dropping dogs with any size shooting from distance with a .177 pellet gun.

It goes beyond just biting. Owners are responsible for their dogs in other ways. I preface this by telling a story of in my subdivision, we have a dog park. Dogs go there to play and relieve themselves (they have a couple of dog poop bag dispensers in the park.) I have a 10 year old Mastiff / Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, the other day I took him to the park and another couple brought their dog in as we was there. My dog was walking trying to find a spot to take care of his business. The other peoples dog kept running over and pestering the hell out of my dog while he was trying to take a shit. After about 10 minutes I finally spoke up to the owners "can you please get your dog so mine can use the bathroom in peace?" The park is pretty big and plenty of room for multiple dogs, but they just stood there and let their dog pester the shit out of my dog. Luckily he is a very gentle dog and is not aggressive because if he was, he is 84 pounds of solid muscle and would destroy the other dog.

Therein lies the real problem - stupid people. Stupid people dont raise dogs right.

Stupid people dont realize when they, their kids, or their pets are doing things that increase the chances of a bite.

Stupid people don't understand when their dog is unusually aggressive and needs either isolated or put down.

Dogs are dogs and one of their features is biting. Stupid people are the ones constantly increasing the chances of that happening.

Reactions: J_Dee
Google "Kentucky Trespass LRC first second third degree"
"he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises" is not the same as "entering without permission" as the previous poster quoted. One who walks onto another's property and rings their doorbell did not enter the property unlawfully, but likely did without permission.

Reactions: hmt5000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT