ADVERTISEMENT

Dropped from 16th to 17th on Kenpom

If UK is who we want them to be, and worthy of #1 seed discussion, they'll win both road games this week. February is a TOUGH road with Gonzaga mixed into a tough SEC.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Went back and watched again. Up 28 with about 8 minutes to go and we came out of a time out and you could tell CAL called it off, thinking we would win by 20 plus. Problem was (like always), UGA licked their chops and mike white told them play hard and make it interesting. If we would have kept playing like we did up till that point, UGA would have still scored 96 or over 100 but UK would have had 130. Cal hates us blowing teams out in January or even early february. He will do the same thing in the SEC tourney and we will probably bow out to UGA or LSU someone like that.

I wish we had the mindset of our Pitino teams, step on their necks when we have them down. Then at about 3 minute mark put in the cigar boys.

Went back and watched again. Up 28 with about 8 minutes to go and we came out of a time out and you could tell CAL called it off, thinking we would win by 20 plus. Problem was (like always), UGA licked their chops and mike white told them play hard and make it interesting. If we would have kept playing like we did up till that point, UGA would have still scored 96 or over 100 but UK would have had 130. Cal hates us blowing teams out in January or even early february. He will do the same thing in the SEC tourney and we will probably bow out to UGA or LSU someone like that.

I wish we had the mindset of our Pitino teams, step on their necks when we have them down. Then at about 3 minute mark put in the cigar boys.
Pitino would have our loaded/deep bench pressing until the final minute, then the walk-ons would play.

Does Auburn even have a Quad 1 win? Let’s wait until Bama game before we get too carried away with them. Bama also has issues beating good teams.
Have found myself watching Auburn's last 3 games (televised). I'm not focused on the metrics or quadrants. They look pretty damn impressive. Their frontline is a load and you just know those guards will play the game of their lives when UK comes to town.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

This.

I'm annoyed but hopeful. We had them destroyed and guys basically quit trying because they knew they couldn't lose. It's similar to when an NFL team is up 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter. They go to the Prevent defense and guys aren't all the way dialed in. The losing team scores a touchdown or 2 to make it closer.

In the 1st half, we held them to 35 points. In that final 8 minutes, we let them go nuts. I'm sure Cal is going to emphasize defense in practice. I think we're capable of being a lot better than where we are today.

statements like this make no sense, If you wait until march to worry about Kenpom, its literally to late. The rankings are determined by what you did DURING the season. Like yesterdays game and the one before that and the after that. Waiting until march is like waiting until march to start conditioning for games. Makes ZERO sense.
Ken Pom is not going to win UK a championship, match ups in the tournament will, Cal has had highly ranked teams drop out in the second round of the tournament because of match ups and no offense poor coaching. This team on offense is almost bullet proof, but the wrong match up and who knows.

Went from 17th to 16th again overnight. See how easily his numbers change this early in the season?
Great point.

If our defense can drop 14 points after 1 bad game, how many spots can it move up after 1 really good game?

Reactions: $Z71$
Great point.

If our defense can drop 14 points after 1 bad game, how many spots can it move up after 1 really good game?
This is why I've said time and time again in this thread. Wait until before the SEC tournament before worrying any about the metrics and where we rank. They are a non factor only 17 games in. 15 more before the regular season ends and once conference play is over the metrics are much more accurate.

Reactions: Cats192
You dont know that literally nothing matters anymore but Kenpom? Like if you don't have a certain Kenpom number you shouldn't even enter the NCAAT. You have no chance.

Kenpom kenpom kenpom kenpom KENPOMMMMM
What it is - this little pod of miserable UK fans unhappy that Cal actually has something decent going spends a lot of time searching for “rankings” that align with their agendas. This is the problem with so many ranking services, none can really be trusted until March 1, but until then every one of them can be used to support an agenda.

After watching a. Lot of SEC basketball, here’s what I see. Auburn is untested at this time but may be really good or merely good. They’re quick at most positions. I think our guard play is equal to or better than Auburn, and our inside presence will give them trouble. Winner- Kentucky. Alabama has played a lot of good or really good teams and have been beaten by most. They lack the inside depth to beat UK. The only player that can beat you is their point guard. If we have someone to keep him going right with help from bigs inside and bad whistles are at a minimum we should be fine. They don’t have that dominate player like last year. Winner- Kentucky. Tennessee don’t have the number of bigs we have and we should be able to get theirs in foul trouble. Their scorer is good but our problem with them will be the defensive pressure that their 1 though 3 players put tremendous pressure on the ball around the perimeter that will cause problems. And they are experienced. I don’t worry about Knecht as much as the pressure their1-3 put on the ball. I see these games as toss ups-one win, one loss, and I won’t say the win is a home.in fact I feel better about the game in Knoxville after we’ve matured a bit more. The tournament game should be a great one.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
I’ll have to wait until we play a legit good defensive team to determine if we can get by with playing defense 1/2 of the game.
The wait is over! We already played a team that was KenPom #9 in defense when we played them. We scored 90.

Please let us know your determination oh enlightened one.

Lol so Kenpom is wrong?

But only when it fits your narrative. Got it.....
Wow, I've never seen anyone get bodied as hard as @ukjenning44 is in this thread. That Cal Derangement Syndrom is strong.

Cites Kenpom to attack UK. Then discounts Kenpom when it says that we have played 2 top defenses already.

Then repeatedly ignores facts from others and says Miss State and UNC just didn't want to win as much as TN and Auburn do.....

Trolliest behavior of the year. This is art.

Does Auburn even have a Quad 1 win? Let’s wait until Bama game before we get too carried away with them. Bama also has issues beating good teams.
0-2 Q1. Lost opening game on a neutral to Baylor and lost December game @App State. App is floating between a Q1 and 2.

Reactions: gharding07
Kenpompom is the phoniest of phony numbers.

He doesn’t count offensive rebounds as a possession.

So a guy can tip a ball and a controlled tip is a rebound and a shot. But it’s not even a possession according to Kenpompom.

How does a player shoot without possession?

Only in the world of Kenpompom is that possible.

Phony nerd numbers.
Fwiw

You might wonder why offensive rebounds are treated as continuing a possesion, rather than starting a new one. I’ve seen two good reasons. First, by including them each team’s possesions can reasonably be assumed to come out equal for each game. Second, getting and preventing offensive rebounds are skills. So if some teams do those skills better than others, it makes sense to attach those skills to a team’s offensive or defensive ability.

I think it is a real issue that these computer models have become so important. Apparently some teams are very good at figuring out how to benefit from them. I do not think we do at all. We play far too many teams that sub-150 and it hurts us.

I think it is a real issue that these computer models have become so important. Apparently some teams are very good at figuring out how to benefit from them. I do not think we do at all. We play far too many teams that sub-150 and it hurts us.
They are literally 80 percent or more on what the committee looks at. Numbers, numbers, and who did you play, and who did you beat. And a little bit of the eye test.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT