ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Gatewood to UK!

Below is the only thing I can find re Gatewood eligibility from Rowland:

"UK will work to get him eligible next year per what I and @Trav_Graf have both heard. Whether he can or can't, QB room's future got a lot better today."
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/3/21/18274416/tate-martell-eligibility-waiver-miami
Great article on how Martell got a waiver to play at Miami this year. Explains the criteria for getting a waiver. Long story short, Auburn needs to go along with it (which prob won't happen).

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/3/21/18274416/tate-martell-eligibility-waiver-miami
Great article on how Martell got a waiver to play at Miami this year. Explains the criteria for getting a waiver. Long story short, Auburn needs to go along with it (which prob won't happen).
Thanks for posting. I've suspected the support of Ohio State was a factor in Martell's waiver. Also suspect UK supported Quade's BB transfer waiver, Neither made sense based on the guidelines as I understood them.

If this is correct, agree why would Auburn support a waiver? .

The scoop on Gatewood is that Nix won the job because he was better in film room, but also politics played a major role as his old man QB'd Auburn in the 90s

Lots of Auburn fans wanted Gatewood to get a shot, but he correctly saw the writing on the wall.

As for Auburn supporting a waiver, no way, that will happen, with UK playing at Auburn next year.

The scoop on Gatewood is that Nix won the job because he was better in film room, but also politics played a major role as his old man QB'd Auburn in the 90s

Lots of Auburn fans wanted Gatewood to get a shot, but he correctly saw the writing on the wall.

As for Auburn supporting a waiver, no way, that will happen, with UK playing at Auburn next year.
Plus the elder Nix is HC at a HS that produces high end college talent. Malzahn didn't want to disrupt that pipeline.

As an aside, that HS was where UK's Allen Dailey played. He was a prime Nix target.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Gatewood may know where the bodies are buried.
Lol, obviously Ohio St. didn't care if Martell left because they knew they were getting Fields. From the quotes it didn't sound as if Malzahn was mad he left, I mean Nix is the QB there for 3 more years and it is unlikely Gatewood starts against Auburn anyway so why not go along with it.

Lots of confusion on this board about how many years Gatewood will have at UK. It’s actually pretty simple:
He red shirted this year which means he had 4 years of eligibility left (if he’s granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season).

If he is not granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season he will have 3 years of eligibility left.

For those folks saying he would only have 2 years left that would mean that neither this years redshirt year wouldn’t count which is not how it works.
Actually he redshirted in 2018....he was a red shirt freshman this 2019 season, so if he sits out 2020 he will have two years of eligibility left, actually pretty simple

Plus the elder Nix is HC at a HS that produces high end college talent. Malzahn didn't want to disrupt that pipeline.

As an aside, that HS was where UK's Allen Dailey played. He was a prime Nix target.
Agree 100% will both of these takes. But could it also be where Nix fits better with Malzahn's type of offense? More of a traditional drop back passer? Don't really know...just wondering.

Agree 100% will both of these takes. But could it also be where Nix fits better with Malzahn's type of offense? More of a traditional drop back passer? Don't really know...just wondering.
Malzahn had Nick Marshall at QB a few years ago who was a RPO guy. Then I guess Stidham who was a drop back so he's been all over the map. Actually Malzahn has done a poor job developing QBs as a whole.

Interesting....I'm not sure Bo Nix is all that and a bag of chips. He's OK, but seems like a low ceiling type guy. Could be wrong.

Is this a dream? Great player falling out of the sky onto UK lap.
Have we ever had a player of this caliper transfer in?
This usually the type of thing that happens to the Bama, Florida, FB bluebloods.

Stoops and staff changing the perception of UK FB.

Got this player a few months ago. Actually higher ranked than Gatewood.

PEF8SYC.jpg

As we saw with Cam Johnson at UNC, public opinion doesn't favor the prior school blocking immediate eligibility. I have a feeling he'll be eligible. I'm not a fan of transferring without sitting out a year but when a kid has already used his redshirt, it's not good for their career. Particularly so if they are likely to make the NFL.

How does he only have two years of eligibility left? He was a redshirt freshman this year.

If he was a redshirt freshman, that's two years in college. If he sets out next year, that's three years in college. I believe he only has 5 years to play 4, unless it's an injury, or maybe a hardship. I'm not sure about hardship.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Post Sawyer and Terry, this pickup makes perfect sense to fill out the QB room. Allen will be a RS frosh, Scalzo and Gilmore will be RS sophs and Joey will be a RS junior when they compete for the starting job. That’s a nice room for Sawyer and Wilson to leave behind. Heck, Sawyer may be the GA for that room.

Ex
If he was a redshirt freshman, that's two years in college. If he sets out next year, that's three years in college. I believe he only has 5 years to play 4, unless it's an injury, or maybe a hardship. I'm not sure about hardship.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Yep. He enrolled at Auburn Jan 8, 2018 per Rivals. So he redshirted the 2018 season then was eligible this year but Bo Nix got the nod. So now hed have to sit the transfer year this season, which sucks, but also makes senze for him.

This is why the staff is trying to get him eligible this year folks. Terry or no Terry, it would be a wasted year for Joey regardless. What if Terry reinjures? Im quite certain Id rather have Joey eligible to go out there than Sawyer. And Lynn wont be here to bail us out. Its just common sense. Joey obviously knows its not a guarantee he'll be able to play this year, but itll be his show for 2 yrs after.

That gives the staff time to RS Beau Allen and create class separation for him and bring him along in the QB room. Hell end up being the guy for 2 yrs also.

This is flippin awesome yall!

Ex
Yep. He enrolled at Auburn Jan 8, 2018 per Rivals. So he redshirted the 2018 season then was eligible this year but Bo Nix got the nod. So now hed have to sit the transfer year this season, which sucks, but also makes senze for him.

This is why the staff is trying to get him eligible this year folks. Terry or no Terry, it would be a wasted year for Joey regardless. What if Terry reinjures? Im quite certain Id rather have Joey eligible to go out there than Sawyer. And Lynn wont be here to bail us out. Its just common sense. Joey obviously knows its not a guarantee he'll be able to play this year, but itll be his show for 2 yrs after.

That gives the staff time to RS Beau Allen and create class separation for him and bring him along in the QB room. Hell end up being the guy for 2 yrs also.

This is flippin awesome yall!
Very exciting time. I can't wait for the bowl game.

Since he’s essentially used this year going through the recruiting process instead of playing, wouldn’t this year be considered the year he sits out?

Since he’s essentially used this year going through the recruiting process instead of playing, wouldn’t this year be considered the year he sits out?
No. The transfer rule requires a player to spend a year at the new school before becoming eligible.

I’m hoping auburn still sees us as the bottom of the barrel with no threat so they are happy to release him next year :)

We beat Auburn on the Plains with Will Fidler under center. I dont think theyre going to take JG lightly lol

In my opinion, if you already sat out the year before transferring, you shouldn't have to sit another year. I'd be fine with that rule changing. It wouldn't help Gatewood in this situation since he played in 7 games this year.

The whole sitting out a year in theory makes a bit of sense but in fairness Jimbo Fisher didnt sit out a year when he took a new job. Neither does any coach when they up and leave a program for another school.

It should probably be the same for the players.
This argument is downright silly. Should coaches be held to 4 years eligibility then? It seems like similar reasoning since the players are subjected to such restriction. There is just no logic in pretending coaches and players should somehow have all the same rules and standards.

Reactions: shutzhund
This argument is downright silly. Should coaches be held to 4 years eligibility then? It seems like similar reasoning since the players are subjected to such restriction. There is just no logic in pretending coaches and players should somehow have all the same rules and standards.

No it isn't. It isn't realistic, but it isn't silly. Many players sign with a program based off of the coach of the program. If a coach quits he can just trot over to another school, no questions asked and the player is left at the school to see if the new coach has a role for him/her. If they don't the player then has to transfer and sit out in most instances....sorry that is asinine.

Also, re-read my post, I talked out of both sides. It is just a tough situation is my point. Yes, coaches should be held to some sort of standard....they are one's making all the money to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT