ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Gatewood to UK!

Ought to help with WR's more than anything. And I think that's our #1 help need.
WRs have probably been this staffs weakest link recruiting wise (besides obviously Bowden and maybe a few others). Hopefully Gatewood can get some dawgs at WR to come with him.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
3iksna.jpg

Can he pass the ball accurately?

I don't care how tall he is.....
I don't care how athletic he is....
I don't care what his 40 time is....
I don't care what he does in the weight room....

Can he pass the ball?

If not, he is just another typical QB under Stoops who cannot pass.....

Reactions: 23jumpboy

Can he pass the ball?

Stoops typical QB led us to 10 games last year, I don’t even know the last time we had 10 wins... but go on

Lots of confusion on this board about how many years Gatewood will have at UK. It’s actually pretty simple:
He red shirted this year which means he had 4 years of eligibility left (if he’s granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season).

If he is not granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season he will have 3 years of eligibility left.

For those folks saying he would only have 2 years left that would mean that neither this years redshirt year wouldn’t count which is not how it works.

Lots of confusion on this board about how many years Gatewood will have at UK. It’s actually pretty simple:
He red shirted this year which means he had 4 years of eligibility left (if he’s granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season).

If he is not granted immediate eligibility for 2020 season he will have 3 years of eligibility left.

For those folks saying he would only have 2 years left that would mean that neither this years redshirt year wouldn’t count which is not how it works.

He did not redshirt this year. He redshirted last year. You only get one redshirt. Next year is year 3, you get 5 years to play 4.

You are just adding to the mis-information. He redshirted last year, played this year.

You are just adding to the mis-information. He redshirted last year, played this year.

Yes.

Gatewood signed with Auburn in February of 2018, redshirted the 2018 season, and played sparingly for Auburn in 2019, as a RS freshman. There is a YouTube video showing his few plays at Auburn, which are pretty impressive.

He’ll enter 2020 as a RS Sophomore.

He has nothing to lose by filing the paperwork. I haven't heard of any reason for them to approve it. But, NCAA isn't known for making logical decisions.

Nope, they've made odd approvals for some including Jermarl Baker and Quade Green in bball. In Quade's case he moved further away from his home...I think Cal/UK helped get him approved.

Because it is same conference I'd assume we'd need similar support from Auburn to make this happen. Who knows?

Reactions: bballcat4
The whole sitting out a year in theory makes a bit of sense but in fairness Jimbo Fisher didnt sit out a year when he took a new job. Neither does any coach when they up and leave a program for another school.

It should probably be the same for the players.

The whole sitting out a year in theory makes a bit of sense but in fairness Jimbo Fisher didnt sit out a year when he took a new job. Neither does any coach when they up and leave a program for another school.

It should probably be the same for the players.

Unfortunately that would make college sports turn into pro sport free agency. Probably would have some back channel recruiting going on. Could you imagine if a team that's a favorite to win a championship has a key player go down with an injury in the Spring and they randomly have someone transfer in to fill that spot?

What if Wilson was injured in the Spring and Bowden decided to randomly transfer to Ohio State since he didn't like our QB situation? We would have been up the creek without a paddle. This whole season would have went down the drain. Then we would be needing a transfer to come in and save us.

That's just an example of what could happen to a team if you allow immediate eligibility for all transfers. I'd say the only way to allow it would be if you transferred after your team's season is over but before the last signing period. That would keep the current teams from getting hurt at a key moment.

To start I would LOVE to see B Allen a home grown talent be a star at UK and have a successful career in the NFL one day.
I think that would be awesome for our in state kids to look up to one day.

BUT…
Thumbs up to this couching staff for going out and getting this talented young man to transfer to UK.
If need be I do think this coaching staff can and will build a dangerous offence around Gatewood.
Shows Stoops and staff are not just building a team but a program to move forward.

Can he pass the ball?

What you need to be concerned about is your U6 D, there's something you need to care about.

It will take 3-5 very good years of recruiting just on D to get anything that looks like a P5 D

Reactions: Ky grandpa

He was in the 2018 class, not the 2019. So only 2 years left of eligibility if he isn't granted a waiver for next year. He redshirted in 2018. This year was his redshirt freshman season. Next year he will be a redshirt sophomore.

KID is a STUD! We are talking an unpolished Fields!! Soon as he gets lil more experience, practice, etc.... Dude is #3 Dual threat in his class and #5 overall QB DOME HAD HIM 5* at some point. I think he lowest ranking by one of the services was 36 overall. Yes he is a Stud and has the talent to play for OSU,BAMA,LSU, UGA, do fourth so on! We will be a preseason top 15-20 team in nation 2021. By that time our D will be stellar and the East my be ours that season. Kid makes us a national contender. THIS IS HUGE GET! POLITICS kept him from starting at AU with NIX being not just legacy player but LEGACY QB. He never had a chance with a QB named NIX on Roster.

Can he pass the ball?

Probably hard to say until we see more of him, but he looks like he throws with a whole lot of ease. Not a lot of wind up needed and throws pretty well on the run. This, at least, from his HS film. Not sure if Auburn has messed with his form and delivery, but in high school the ball seemed to zip out of his hand and with very little effort. He got the ball out quickly and threw it where his receivers could go get it.

Regardless, I ain't mad at it. Worst case scenario we have another guy in the QB room that will push the others to be better.

Can he pass the ball?

I don't give a crap how he gets it done if he can win fb games. Are you so obsessed with passing stats you couldn't even enjoy last year?

Last edited:
Like Peters, they will let us know sometime in October...
I think we should know sooner as Gatewood should be on campus next semester I hope. If so UK can get all the paperwork and appeal process stated much earlier with him than the Peters case.
But with us having to play Auburn next year I dot think there is no way he will be eligible to play next year.
But lets hope I am wrong and he cleared by the NCAA.

Great news to get up to this morning. What will be the appeal that he will use to play next year ? Does anyone know ?

Great news to get up to this morning. What will be the appeal that he will use to play next year ? Does anyone know ?
Well, I think we know what Fields claimed. I have no idea about Martell, but as far as I know there was no reason for either one to be eligible. All these top guys hire the same lawyer and he gets them cleared, look for something similar here.

This is completely false. He redshirted last year and is a redshirt freshman this year. Giving him 3 years of eligibility if he is immediately eligible. If not he will only have 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT