ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Gatewood to UK!

Gatewood is working to get a waiver to play next season per JRow & TGraf
I think it is a no-brained for him to file the waiver application, so he can try to save a year of eligibility. But his case does not appear very compelling from what I know, and I don’t think we should assume the waiver will be granted unless regulation of intra-conference transfers has ubiquitously become so lax now that the NCAA has given up even trying to regulate it. And that might be the case, but I am assuming nothing and won’t be surprised either way.

This doesn’t make sense either unless TW has a bad prognosis. Why waste a year with Gatewood and TW as our QBs? Bettter to play TW next year then have Gatewood for the two full years after.
If Gatewood is declared eligible he'll get 3 more years. Basically next year he either gets or doesn't...unless an injury gives him a 6th year somehow...you get 5 years to play 4. He's already red-shirted.

Terry won't be ready until late in camp. Even if he starts....you'd rather have Gatewood right now. And as hard as the coaches pursued him...yeah Gatewood will play.

Per the LHL, Gatewood will be a Junior after setting out next year, and have two years. Beau Allen will probably redshirt, and compete with him as a RS Freshmen and then as a RS Sophomore. Allen will be in line as a Junior if he doesn't beat out Gatewood. Assuming Gatewood beats out the others in line.
Thanks for all the info. For some reason I was thinking it would have more of an impact. Excited for Gatewood. Hopefully a program changer.

How does he only have two years of eligibility left? He was a redshirt freshman this year.
If they allow him to be eligible next season he will have 3. Otherwise if he has to sit out, it’s essentially a second redshirt season leaving him two years.

If Gatewood is declared eligible he'll get 3 more years. Basically next year he either gets or doesn't...unless an injury gives him a 6th year somehow...you get 5 years to play 4. He's already red-shirted.

Terry won't be ready until late in camp. Even if he starts....you'd rather have Gatewood right now. And as hard as the coaches pursued him...yeah Gatewood will play.

And, even if he doesn’t beat out TW it would still be a benefit to JG & the team if he can win the backup job & get 2nd team reps all season. If he is the heir apparent that would make the transition much smoother than running the scout team for a year & he doesn’t lose a year of eligibility. I’m not expecting it but getting him eligible this season would be huge.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Per the LHL, Gatewood will be a Junior after setting out next year, and have two years. Beau Allen will probably redshirt, and compete with him as a RS Freshmen and then as a RS Sophomore. Allen will be in line as a Junior if he doesn't beat out Gatewood. Assuming Gatewood beats out the others in line.

How will he be a Junior? Won’t he be a RS Freshman next season?

Man...that's 2018 and he had a full year to train. He'll have another to learn our system and get ready...2021 he'll already be a 4th year guy...and pretty dang good!

Just picture that in a blue jersey....faking the hand-off to Drennen/Smoke/Rodriguez.....and Tom Leach yelling!!!!
Cats in the national title hunt the next few years!! WOW

1. With the way UK runs it's QBs...Gatewood could be a Cam Newton-ish type impact if UK can develop his passing a bit and get some legit deep threats to stretch the field for him. Cam wasn't exactly a great passer at Auburn but teams had to leave gaping holes to throw to to crowd the LOS with his running and they had a big time WR that you had to respect deep.
2. Beau Allen has already stated this doesn't change him and UK and he's expecting competition wherever....

So if we keep them both, we have a great few years at QB potentially after next year's Seniors leave. I'd be very surprised if we don't see 1-2 QBs transfer this spring (or before).

Recruiting has a snowball effect. After a great season next year then 2021 will be even better. Soon we will be getting more than just 1 five star each year. I love where we are headed. This years teams has that bulldog mentality. I think that these guys would run through brick walls for coach Stoops. What coach MS may lack in X's and O's he makes up for with how he has changed and is still changing the culture here. It is only going to get better.

Joey is an outstanding young man and one hell of a talent. Most of us AU folks are pulling for him to do big things at UK (as long as they are not playing AU of course).

Yall got yourselves a great kid and player.
Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated +1

Reactions: Littlefeller
This doesn’t make sense either unless TW has a bad prognosis. Why waste a year with Gatewood and TW as our QBs? Bettter to play TW next year then have Gatewood for the two full years after.
He has 3 years of eligibility. He redshirted his first year at Auburn.

I think it is a no-brained for him to file the waiver application, so he can try to save a year of eligibility. But his case does not appear very compelling from what I know, and I don’t think we should assume the waiver will be granted unless regulation of intra-conference transfers has ubiquitously become so lax now that the NCAA has given up even trying to regulate it. And that might be the case, but I am assuming nothing and won’t be surprised either way.
I am sure the NCAA will wait on his ruling until the week of first game.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Canned Heat
With what Gran and Stoops accomplished with Bowden at QB, Gatewood saw enough to know they will utilize his talent and not force him into another role.

His waiver for immediate playing will be much harder since he transferred inter conference. The NCAA and SEC will factor that. JMHO the NCAA does whatever it wants in transfers waivers.

The LHL assumption is that he sets out next year. Which means he has to set out a year without a Redshirt since he already used that. I fully expect him to be here for the spring semester. He will be learning and bonding very soon with his new teammates. And with TW clearly not being able to go in spring, it will be invaluable to the WRs and TEs in their training.

Allen will be fine. The assumption is that he would be able to redshirt next year. Yes, he will be competing as a RS fresh and sophomore but he will possibly be the unnamed starter heading into his RS junior year.

Others, Gilmore etc May hatchet that plan, and if they do, we will only be bettter at the position.

After the current year, albeit remarkable IMO, the coaching will try to have a deep stable at QB.

We always complain about how other teams seem to have a backup QB to throw out against us a tear it up. Well getting QB depth like this is how that's done. Assuming he gets a waiver, having Terry, Sawyer, and Joey as your 3 deep next year in whatever order is a great problem to have. Even if he has to site, you'd get Terry and Sawyer next year, with Gilmore or Scalzo 3rd. Then the next year have Joey with a RS Allen, at least one of Gilmore or Sclazo still on the roster. Things look good for the next 2-4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT