ADVERTISEMENT

Jay wright on UK

Mar 6, 2024
Former Villanova coach Jay Wright:

"The era of taking these young freshmen and trying to play against older players is over. I think he did a phenomenal job with these guys all year. You can see, they're playing against grown men. The guys on Kentucky will be far better pros than any of these guys on Oakland or any of these guys in the tournament. But they're not as good college basketball players. At this point in their careers, they're not as disciplined yet as the guys for Oakland. It's not Cal's fault. It's they're 18 years old and they're in this era where everyone is telling them how great they are. Just show up in college and you're going to win. It doesn't happen that way. And the more guys stay in college because of NIL, it's going to be tougher for young teams like this to be successful."

Damn…

"The era of taking these young freshmen and trying to play against older players is over. I think he did a phenomenal job with these guys all year. You can see, they're playing against grown men. The guys on Kentucky will be far better pros than any of these guys on Oakland or any of these guys in the tournament. But they're not as good college basketball players. At this point in their careers, they're not as disciplined yet as the guys for Oakland. It's not Cal's fault. It's they're 18 years old and they're in this era where everyone is telling them how great they are. Just show up in college and you're going to win. It doesn't happen that way. And the more guys stay in college because of NIL, it's going to be tougher for young teams like this to be successful."

Damn…
Jay Wright is full of shit. Of course it is Cal’s fault. He builds the roster. Coaches just slurp on each other.

Damn…
So it’s Cals fault for continuing to recruit young freshmen…. Cal even said he will continue to recruit young freshmen.

Damn…
Oh eff off Jay.

"Did a great job?" On a ten loss season.

This is Kentucky Jay. Not Nova.

Listen Jay, I have a lot of respect for you, but f*ck you, honestly. For you to say it isn’t Cal’s fault when he’s been relying on freshmen for YEARS after it was apparent that freshmen weren’t winning shit… that’s just an idiotic statement from you. It absolutely is Cal’s fault. This is his philosophy, his style, his culture. And it IS and HAS BEEN an epic failure.

I said early in the season, don't let Wright leave the building. Call him now. What do you expect he is going to say Cal sucks? But, he can out coach Cal any given day. Plus, he clearly would have a different philosophy on recruiting simply by what he just said.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Cal had a more experienced team last year and an even worse record. The problem is Cal. He's washed up and the game has passed him by. Needed an NBA lockout, a senior like Miller, Jones and a great shooter like Lamb returning, someone with a lot of heart like MKG and a once in a generation player like Anthony Davis to win his only National Championship.

Damn…
Wright is trying to cover for his buddy. It ain't just the freshman. Leading scorers tonight were seniors.

It's Cal. It's his ego. It's his lack of motivation. It's poor coaching

You guys are all being too literal with Wright's "it's not Cal's fault" comment. He's simply saying the players aren't as good college players as their NBA draft stock suggests, because being a lottery pick means you're projected to be elite in a few years, not that you're elite now. He's not absolving Cal of all blame, just saying a team full of freshmen isn't composed and mature enough to win in modern college basketball.

So it’s Cals fault for continuing to recruit young freshmen…. Cal even said he will continue to recruit young freshmen.
Of course he will. Cal has said he has helped so many families. His along with his players. He had made it clear that UK is not his priority.

Reactions: NociHTTP
You guys are all being too literal with Wright's "it's not Cal's fault" comment. He's simply saying the players aren't as good college players as their NBA draft stock suggests, because being a lottery pick means you're projected to be elite in a few years, not that you're elite now. He's not absolving Cal of all blame, just saying a team full of freshmen isn't composed and mature enough to win in modern college basketball.
Tell me when a coach/former coach is ever critical of a coach? Jay Wright is just providing cover for Cal.

What if I told you I don't give two shits and a popsicle? Cal's out of time.

I don’t see this as Jay Wright defending him I see it more as him saying Cal should change his recruiting .

Realistically an 18 year old guard isn’t going to shutdown a 23 or 24 year old man . The worst part about it is our guards physically look 18 too .

Need guards like the Thompson twins for it to work defensively

I don't think he is. I think he's just making a comment on the type of team that wins in today's college basketball and this board is running with it as a massive defense of Cal.
Have you ever heard a coach say that another coach did a poor job? Jay Wright knows damn well that UK should have crushed Oakland.

Reactions: KMKAT

Damn…

I get what Jay is saying, but Jay wouldn't have been bringing 2 of his best players off the bench, and he certainly would have been looking at advanced metrics with his line-ups. Cal is absolutely clueless.

The next Coach has to find a way to keep the players here for more than one year. Cal continues to push them out if they have even a whif of pro on them. He'll push Edwards, Dillingham, Wagner, Shep, and others out the door just to get to next years group of frosh, transfer kids, etc... NIL and the transfer portal is killing college sports and Kentucky basketball is taking a huge hit because of it and Cal's style.

That’s good and dandy but what about last year ?
As they say, two things can be true at once though, right? UK needs a new coach AND a new roster building approach. I think, and have thought for a long time, that what Wright said is spot on. Yes, Calipari has brought in a few upperclassmen lately. Not really the top transfers, and not guys that he intends to compete with freshmen for starting spots. But those transfers have nevertheless generally been our best players over the freshmen. Who was able to make the plays in the tough Tournament environment this year? Reeves and Mitchell.

I just believe that whatever coach takes over (hopefully) at UK in the current environment will not succeed at a high level if he continues Calipari’s approach of relying on a bunch of OAD freshmen. Unless that changes, recruiting titles are going to be the only championships for UK. But make no mistake, I’m with you that a coaching change is desperately needed. I’ve felt that way for years now.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
As they say, two things can be true at once though, right? UK needs a new coach AND a new roster building approach. I think, and have thought for a long time, that what Wright said is spot on. Yes, Calipari has brought in a few upperclassmen lately. Not really the top transfers, and not guys that he intends to compete with freshmen for starting spots. But those transfers have nevertheless generally been our best players over the freshmen. Who was able to make the plays in the tough Tournament environment this year? Reeves and Mitchell.

I just believe that whatever coach takes over (hopefully) at UK in the current environment will not succeed at a high level if he continues Calipari’s approach of relying on a bunch of OAD freshmen. Unless that changes, recruiting titles are going to be the only championships for UK. But make no mistake, I’m with you that a coaching change is desperately needed. I’ve felt that way for years now.
Oh I agree 100% with Wright. I was just saying for Cal it doesn’t seem to matter about build right now . He’s losing with vets and young teams . I do agree though building young is definitely not the answer

Reactions: G-PIP
Three years too long. The only program in the country that putting players in the pro's as fast as possible is the number one priority. It just can't go on. The best all time program being used? Winning every game and championships should be #1, just like every program in America. We have to have older guys that are super talented. We have to have a coach that we don't have to worry about being out coached. Hearing Cal after the game, the fans and the program are on the back burner. Some of Tubby's last words was that our fans are just too serious about a 'game.' Cal also does not like it meaning so much to us. A shame there isn't a very top coach from Kentucky that has the heart like we do for the program. Read that we was the only program in the tournament that has 7 top draft picks. Even with that, still gets outcoached. And on his call in show he said it really didn't matter who started. But again, like many times before, we start slow against Oakland and just hang with them. That could have made a difference. And knowing the three's they shoot, we still can't do anything about it and obviously did not prepare for long rebounds. Cal should be embarrassed with that much talent discrepancy and still can't get it done. Just not a good coach.

Have you ever heard a coach say that another coach did a poor job? Jay Wright knows damn well that UK should have crushed Oakland.
Coaches don't criticize each other. They criticize everything around it. Would you be surprised to hear Wright say our expectations are too high every year?

I wouldn't.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
I like Jay and he's one heck of a coach. If he's interested in a move to Lexington I know a couple of good realtors. But if it's not Cal's fault then who? Who built the roster and 'coached' the team allegedly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT