ADVERTISEMENT

What I've noticed missing from Cal

CatsFanIL

Freshman
May 29, 2019
Obviously we have countless threads about last night's game, firing Cal, etc. But from watching a sh*t ton of basketball games the last 2 weeks, here's something I've noticed from OTHER coaches and not from Cal, and I think this could be very, very indicative of our team's lack of success recently...

You probably noticed last night, with just a couple minutes left, in a stoppage of play the teams went to their sidelines. All of the Oakland players had their arms around their coach, huddled together, and their coach had his arms around them. Unity, togetherness

You probably noticed Bruce Pearl embracing his players in the SEC-T, tears in his eyes as he's telling Broom he loves him with his arm around him on the sideline.

I know they've also had some early exits, but watch the Purdue players interaction with Painter. You can tell they're on the same page, they're together

Kelvin Sampson at Houston is like this too. He's hard on his guys, but his guys are glued-in to every word he says, eye contact, utmost respect with that group

Outside of some Xs and Os, it's what was the best about Brad Stevens and Jay Wright - their personal connections and chemistry with their players

I could go on, but you get the point. It just seems like, and I don't know if it's a one-and-done thing, but just seems like there's a missing piece in Cal's connection with his guys. Maybe he handles college kids like too much of a business man? Maybe he has too many irons in the fire - writing books, launching podcasts, running foundations, etc.

My battery life is at 2% with Cal. The only reason it isn’t at 0% is because he recruited Anthony Davis and brought us a title.

That being said, I think Cal genuinely loves his players. It’s morphed into something odd though. We are an NBA factory, plain and simple. Grind them through the process, move them out, and on to the next one. That’s what Cal has created so I can’t feel sorry for him. I think that bond can’t be the same as a bond with a guy like Eddy at Purdue. These players aren’t here long enough. It’s a tiresome process. Frankly, it’s one that I’m done with.

Something is missing - Fire in John Calipari’s belly.

Obviously we have countless threads about last night's game, firing Cal, etc. But from watching a sh*t ton of basketball games the last 2 weeks, here's something I've noticed from OTHER coaches and not from Cal, and I think this could be very, very indicative of our team's lack of success recently...

You probably noticed last night, with just a couple minutes left, in a stoppage of play the teams went to their sidelines. All of the Oakland players had their arms around their coach, huddled together, and their coach had his arms around them. Unity, togetherness

You probably noticed Bruce Pearl embracing his players in the SEC-T, tears in his eyes as he's telling Broom he loves him with his arm around him on the sideline.

I know they've also had some early exits, but watch the Purdue players interaction with Painter. You can tell they're on the same page, they're together

Kelvin Sampson at Houston is like this too. He's hard on his guys, but his guys are glued-in to every word he says, eye contact, utmost respect with that group

Outside of some Xs and Os, it's what was the best about Brad Stevens and Jay Wright - their personal connections and chemistry with their players

I could go on, but you get the point. It just seems like, and I don't know if it's a one-and-done thing, but just seems like there's a missing piece in Cal's connection with his guys. Maybe he handles college kids like too much of a business man? Maybe he has too many irons in the fire - writing books, launching podcasts, running foundations, etc.
Wrong.

If there is one thing that Cal has done better than any coach in UK history is bring togetherness between himself, current, and former players. Just go listen to the interviews with past players and their affections for Cal. Heck, even look at his relationship with players like Marcus Camby, Dejaun Wagner, Derrick Rose, etc. None of the other UK coaches have had former players a part of the program the way that Cal has. There's a laundry list of things we can chide Cal for, but this is not one of them. His players love him.

Cal is their boss. Employees and employer. How are most employees with their bosses? That's why it looks that way. It's a day at work.

My battery life is at 2% with Cal. The only reason it isn’t at 0% is because he recruited Anthony Davis and brought us a title.

That being said, I think Cal genuinely loves his players. It’s morphed into something odd though. We are an NBA factory, plain and simple. Grind them through the process, move them out, and on to the next one. That’s what Cal has created so I can’t feel sorry for him. I think that bond can’t be the same as a bond with a guy like Eddy at Purdue. These players aren’t here long enough. It’s a tiresome process. Frankly, it’s one that I’m done with.

Absolutely. The lack of continuity with the players can't be understated. It worked for a while, when other teams were also trying to win with one-and-done. But now with the "covid players" sticking around, and with NIL keeping some older players in college longer, Cal's system is undoubtedly broken.

But my point is, even if players stay multiple years, I still don't see it in Cal's demeanor and personality to frame these relationships into winning ones. The screaming, berating, ignoring when they come to the bench, etc. It just seems so contrary to what the really good coaches in college are doing right now

Reactions: ala_kat2
I don’t think he has a connection to the players like he once did. He use to be a master of it, but somewhere he lost touch. I really don’t think he even enjoys coaching anymore, but his ego and the money keep him around. Its the point of the relationship where everyone knows it needs to end.

Wrong.

If there is one thing that Cal has done better than any coach in UK history is bring togetherness between himself, current, and former players. Just go listen to the interviews with past players and their affections for Cal. Heck, even look at his relationship with players like Marcus Camby, Dejaun Wagner, Derrick Rose, etc. None of the other UK coaches have had former players a part of the program the way that Cal has. There's a laundry list of things we can chide Cal for, but this is not one of them. His players love him.
Wrong. His relationship with former players doesn't have anything to do with winning games right now. Not a single thing. I'm not saying he's incapable of making long-lasting relationships, I'm saying he's currently out of touch with how to do that on these recent teams

Lots and lots and lots of rumblings these last few years with how bad the lockerroom has been. Cal is pretty good at keeping the drama away from the media, but lots of rumblings about it. If you're not aware of it, then you're not aware.

Again, I never said his teams weren't "together", that doesn't have anything to do with my post. But the winning programs right now are the ones with positive demeanors from their coach to players. I've seen dozens if instance in which Rob, Justin, DJ, Trey, Adou have had pretty negative reactions to Cal DURING the games. And if you haven't seent that and noticed that, I can't help ya...

Reactions: Jont0805
Good observation, but I have one additional, glaring thing other coaches do that he doesn't.

During those halftime or timeout interviews, other coaches actually answer questions politely and sensibly. Cal, right from the get go acts like they're annoying, the questions are petty and stupid, and then his answers usually aren't even on topic. Last night, "we're fine" was said two or three times but he never answered the question.

I don't watch his pre- or post-game interviews, but I imagine they're the same, while other coaches are respectful and take time to answer the question with complete sentences and don't sound annoyed or put off.

I don’t think he has a connection to the players like he once did. He use to be a master of it, but somewhere he lost touch. I really don’t think he even enjoys coaching anymore, but his ego and the money keep him around. Its the point of the relationship where everyone knows it needs to end.
I think Cal is burned out. I also think he's gotten lazy since that big contract, at least lazy from a coaching perspective. We all know he's not lazy when it comes to recruiting and working back channels/connections to get kids drafted, but that's not all that he's paid to do at Kentucky.

But this biggest piece of this entire puzzle is $$$$$$$$$. and it ain't missing anywhere .. Thats the bottom line big picture .. Big Benny is getting paid , the recruits that visit Lex for 9 months are getting paid big time .. The assistants are getting paid .. All smiles on the way to the bank .. while BBN is left saying or more appropriately Boo Hoo'ing " WHERE IS THE TITLES" What a group of fools we are . QUIT ATTENDING ANY UK Basketbasll related event .. I know it will be a huge struggle but Jr doesnt need to stand in line to get Edwards or Reeves ( worthless) autograph , for a mere 20 bucks . We dont go to BB Madness , we dont buy tickets to home games against Eastern North West St U ... STOP GOING . It's the only thing that might work .
Screaming the obvious doesnt seem to matter , even though its so very true -- John Calipari would rather lose than play a lineup suggested by BBN , esp those talked about , at length , with metrics and common sense here on Rafters . No way he's gonna play Rob Reed Reeves Z and Thiero any time at all together . Or the three G's with Tre and Z . Not gonna happen . He would rather lose ridin' Wag and Edwards . Would you like to have about 8 possessions Back that those 2 gave away ?? #firecalipari trend it

Reactions: ala_kat2
Good post, we haven't seen a Deandre Liggins sideline moment from him in a long time.
We also haven't seen a guy who could/would play defense like Liggins in a long time. People have cried for 2 or 3 years that we needed to move our offense into the modern style of basketball because we couldn't win with that outdated offense. I have been saying it doesn't matter what kind of offense we play if we can't stop the other team we still will be average at best. You can't always just try to outscore everyone and that is all we could do this year because we didn't have one defensive stopper on this team and haven't had for about 4 years. Until Cal starts recruiting guys who want to play defense like Liggins, Davis, MKG, WKS, Tyler Ulis, etc we are in for the same results.

Reactions: AGEE11

Oh it's obvious to anyone who has participated in highly competitive full contact sports. There's no fire, no rage at losing, no evidence of training and preparing for a fight. Just a satisfaction that comes with seeing them all leave every year and bbn dissatisfied. Yes you read that correct he enjoys disappointing us stupid Benny Hicks. Scum coach

Wrong.

The 3 players you mentioned didn't play here, have you have talked to Charles Mattews, Quade Green, Johnny Juzang, Sahvir Wheeler, Lance Ware, C J Fredrick, Bryce Hopkins, Dontaie Allen, Devin Askew, Cam'Ron Fletcher, just to mention a few, among a host of others that left this program, do they share their affections for him. There is a long list of players who left this program who didn't feel the togetherness you speak of. There is also a list of former players from the past that don't particularly like the direction the program is going now. I doubt Cals players love him any more than Rupp's, Halls, Pitinos or Tubby's players loves them.

Coach Cal gets criticized about everything: too fat, not wearing suit and tie any more, too loyal to players, not embracing players in huddle, not playing player A enough, playing player B too much, can't teach defense, can't teach offense, can't win with one and done, can't recruit the top high schoolers, yadda, yadda. UK won 20+ games this year and certain know-it-all fans want him fired. If I were Coach Calipari, UK would have to pay me every penny owed me and not one cent less.

Great observation. I think this is a likely by-product of this program's foundation. It certainly is difficult for young kids, like Cason Wallace who says before he plays a minute at UK that he wants out as soon as possible, to know and appreciate the history and tradition. That makes a difference. That is a huge difference-maker when it comes to the fight, and the attention to detail, and the willingness to sacrifice. How invested can Rob be when he knows on Day One that he's leaving after his last game of his first year. He won't even be here a calendar year. He wouldn't know Joe Hall from Adolph Rupp. I love the kid but there are huge limits to the minds of an 18-year old when the coach doesn't emphasize winning over changing generational poverty. I think when many come in with the prevailing philosophy that we're an NBA stepping stone and not necessarily the greatest winning program in college basketball, it takes away your resolve and tends to diminish your effort when the chips are down. This program's (Calipari's) philosophy is causing our kids to not mind losing and to lack the true heart necessary to be the "gold standard."

Reactions: CatsFanIL

... Cal likes to try "talking" some connection into existence but maybe the players just don't feel it ... at which time it becomes fraudulent and disingenuous. He does work "too hard" trying to convince anyone who listens about how much he cares. Likely bullshit ... non-organic load of crap. This guy is toast in Lexington.

Great observation. I think this is a likely by-product of this program's foundation. It certainly is difficult for young kids, like Cason Wallace who says before he plays a minute at UK that he wants out as soon as possible, to know and appreciate the history and tradition. That makes a difference. That is a huge difference-maker when it comes to the fight, and the attention to detail, and the willingness to sacrifice. How invested can Rob be when he knows on Day One that he's leaving after his last game of his first year. He won't even be here a calendar year. He wouldn't know Joe Hall from Adolph Rupp. I love the kid but there are huge limits to the minds of an 18-year old when the coach doesn't emphasize winning over changing generational poverty. I think when many come in with the prevailing philosophy that we're an NBA stepping stone and not necessarily the greatest winning program in college basketball, it takes away your resolve and tends to diminish your effort when the chips are down. This program's (Calipari's) philosophy is causing our kids to not mind losing and to lack the true heart necessary to be the "gold standard."
I agree with pretty much everything you said. However, i DO think he wants to win, and I DO think he tries to put his guys in the best position to do so. But with that said, you're right - how much player "buy in" is there really? When you come in already signed with agents, already with shoe deals, already declared for the NBA, etc - how committed can you really be to the grind that is playing college basketball at UK?

All good points ... and is exactly WHY Cal's system is flawed at its core. He caught lightning in a bottle in 2012 and 2015 but those years were "exceptions" and not the rule. Honestly, I would prefer college basketball to be filled with 3 or 4 star players that stay 2 or 4 years in college and let the 5 stars declare straight out of HS and see how that works out for them. I would bet the NBA wouldn't like that idea at all.

I’m going to disagree, I don’t believe he cares about anyone but himself and maybe his immediate family. His players are a means to an end. I don’t believe he dislikes them, but I don’t buy the things many believe about him caring so deeply for his players. I don’t think his personality would even allow that.

Cronin was talking about something with Cowherd recently that caught my attention. He said before the portal, coaches had relationships with players and those players still contact him to this day, years down the road. He was explaining that coaches in this climate are not with their players long enough to forge those kinds of relationships and he misses that.

Cronin only recently has experienced the one year phenomena that is college basketball today because of the portal. Calipari has been doing it for a very long time because of his OAD system.

These players are not with Calipari long enough to forge the types of relationships where you grow to love someone. His infatuation with his players is about something else, as I said in another thread, potentially to open a professional sports agency down the line. There is a reason he constantly promotes his former players and the money they’ve amassed.

I’m going to disagree, I don’t believe he cares about anyone but himself and maybe his immediate family. His players are a means to an end. I don’t believe he dislikes them, but I don’t buy the things many believe about him caring so deeply for his players. I don’t think his personality would even allow that.

Cronin was talking about something with Cowherd recently that caught my attention. He said before the portal, coaches had relationships with players and those players still contact him to this day, years down the road. He was explaining that coaches in this climate are not with their players long enough to forge those kinds of relationships and he misses that.

Cronin only recently has experienced the one year phenomena that is college basketball today because of the portal. Calipari has been doing it for a very long time because of his OAD system.

These players are not with Calipari long enough to forge the types of relationships where you grow to love someone. His infatuation with his players is about something else, as I said in another thread, potentially to open a professional sports agency down the line. There is a reason he constantly promotes his former players and the money they’ve amassed.
Interesting. I've been saying for some time that Cal's motives are more about HIM rather than his "players", as he claims, which is a story that's much easier to sell and keep the critics on their heels.

Reactions: UKGrad24
Why in the hell are we still coming up with theories on this. He does not care. That is what is missing. I too notice that our players don't look connected or unified. Hard to accomplish that when they are together 6 months. It is a program all about the individual. Nothing else to understand or analyze. It comes directly form the coach. I cannot believe Barnhart brought him back. Barnhart will stew in it all season next year. We are going to be awful next year. ANd at the end of the year what will Barnhart say.....what?

Bruce Pearl had some tears in his eyes after the Yale game too 😂

To have the most high school all Americans since he took over, he has underachieved as far as post season results and losing to teams he shouldn't be losing to. It's gotten worse as time goes on while still getting those high school all Americans. this is glaring, what's it going to take to go farther in the SEC and NCAA tournaments. A team full of all Americans and he's a hall of fame coach making 9 million a year losing to Saint Peters and Oakland in consecutive years. Also having a favorable path in the last several NCAA tournaments. Having major roster changes every year, this formula is NOT working, we are competitive during the season but can't beat anybody in the post season. Something could have been done a couple of weeks ago, but our leadership looks to be content with the status quo.

To have the most high school all Americans since he took over, he has underachieved as far as post season results and losing to teams he shouldn't be losing to. It's gotten worse as time goes on while still getting those high school all Americans. this is glaring, what's it going to take to go farther in the SEC and NCAA tournaments. A team full of all Americans and he's a hall of fame coach making 9 million a year losing to Saint Peters and Oakland in consecutive years. Also having a favorable path in the last several NCAA tournaments. Having major roster changes every year, this formula is NOT working, we are competitive during the season but can't beat anybody in the post season. Something could have been done a couple of weeks ago, but our leadership looks to be content with the status quo.
Cal's current approach to go into the portal to get experience to combine with talented OADs is still flawed, IMO, because both groups are looking to stay for the requisite one-year and on then to the draft. IMO, you need multi-year players. That's the formula that's proven but, that will require coaching and again, that's Cal's biggest problem ... either can't or won't.

Reactions: cathouse
Bruce Pearl had some tears in his eyes after the Yale game too 😂
At least he CARED that his TEAM lost.
Our coach seemed relieved that the season was over so he could get back to recruiting and jetsetting with the stars.

Cal was more concerned about which new suit he was going to wear on draft night than he was about losing to Oakland.

Cal is one of the few coaches that maintains long relationships with his players. This is not the issue. It's simply he's lost the fire & motivation he once had to win.

At least he CARED that his TEAM lost.
Our coach seemed relieved that the season was over so he could get back to recruiting and jetsetting with the stars.

Cal was more concerned about which new suit he was going to wear on draft night than he was about losing to Oakland.
So am I not allowed to talk about anyone else getting beat and upset? I mean I hurt too, I live UK as much as the next guy and thought this was the year for the deep run, I just don't want to not to be able to get on other underachievers

He is basically the cast of the wizard of oz these days….no courage, no brains, no heart

I think when Kentucky underperforms there are many valid criticisms. Also, people tend to throw out wild accusations that don't add up and some fans tend to agree because it makes Calipari look bad.

But if you asked the players if Calipari cares for them...What would they say?

Only question I have pertaining to OP's criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT