ADVERTISEMENT

What I've noticed missing from Cal

Cal is one of the few coaches that maintains long relationships with his players. This is not the issue. It's simply he's lost the fire & motivation he once had to win.
I'm not sure that's correct. He still seems pretty fired up to me. Again, if you listen to the "insiders", they'll tell you that the lockerroom has been a disaster the last couple years. That sure, maybe the players talk about how close they are as a group, but you don't hear them speak about the coaches that highly, or at least Cal. You don't see the connections and relationships evident on the sidelines.

You see A LOT of frustration by the players when Cal berates them during games. If you watched closely, Tre Mitchell was really good at trying to console/re-direct players after Cal berated them from the sidelines after a mistake.

I'm not sure that's correct. He still seems pretty fired up to me. Again, if you listen to the "insiders", they'll tell you that the lockerroom has been a disaster the last couple years. That sure, maybe the players talk about how close they are as a group, but you don't hear them speak about the coaches that highly, or at least Cal. You don't see the connections and relationships evident on the sidelines.

You see A LOT of frustration by the players when Cal berates them during games. If you watched closely, Tre Mitchell was really good at trying to console/re-direct players after Cal berated them from the sidelines after a mistake.
I think that is where Payne really excelled for the team. He’d be the guy to come over after Cal going crazy and calmly explain what they did wrong, need to fix. Not saying I want him back, but I don’t think we’ve had the good cop to Cal’s bad cop routine since him.

Reactions: CatsFanIL

Ok. Listen to former players from 20 yrs & from UK talk about Cal stays in touch with them & he's real. You can accuse Cal of much but your just 100% wrong about Cals relationship with his players.

You're basing your opinion off of a shallow observance of a coach yelling at players? I don't think I ever had a coach not yell at me & yet I knew they cared for me.

Stop forming false opinions & just listen to his players:

Listen to all of it but especially about 5:15 on.

Dude, even Kyle Wiltjer is still a UK fan even after transferring to Gonzaga because he & Cal have maintained a really good relationship.

Last edited:
The lack of success has not been assistants. Cal has made changes the last few years & recruiting did take a bump up, but early exit remains. It's a combination of:
-bad luck (injuries etc)
-bad play at the wrong time
-player loyalties over winning
-lack of preparation
-a decline in Cal's coaching

The last 2 are the most significant. I love Cal, but he has to get back to doing the game prep, detailed coaching, & desire to win that he used to have. BUT IT HAS ZERO to do with Cal not caring about his players. If anything that has taken the front seat while winning at UK has taken the backseat in Cal's coaching.

The lack of success has not been assistants. Cal has made changes the last few years & recruiting did take a bump up, but early exit remains. It's a combination of:
-bad luck (injuries etc)
-bad play at the wrong time
-player loyalties over winning
-lack of preparation
-a decline in Cal's coaching

The last 2 are the most significant. I love Cal, but he has to get back to doing the game prep, detailed coaching, & desire to win that he used to have. BUT IT HAS ZERO to do with Cal not caring about his players. If anything that has taken the front seat while winning at UK has taken the backseat in Cal's coaching.
Sorry to say ... he's not changing.

Last edited:
I think that is where Payne really excelled for the team. He’d be the guy to come over after Cal going crazy and calmly explain what they did wrong, need to fix. Not saying I want him back, but I don’t think we’ve had the good cop to Cal’s bad cop routine since him.
I agree, Payne was widely regarded for his relationships with players.

Also of note, the calm demeanor of John Robic is also missing. I know he was pretty pivotal in game-planning and scouting, but his calm demeanor and long-lasting relationship with Cal was pretty vital as well

This
Animated GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT