ADVERTISEMENT

If you earn it you get it… unless you’re Antonio Reeves.

Reeves coming in around the first tv timeout is best way to have our best scoring lineup for majority of the half.

The reality is that someone is going to get into foul trouble, plus players need short breathers.

I think Cal is trying to limit Livingston, Ware and Wheeler being on floor together at the same time. That combo happened again tonight and will probably have to happen most games. All 3 bring something to table, but they don’t need to play many mins together!

We didn’t fall behind in first 3-4 mins tonight, but we need better starts. However, I think Cal wants to have his best rotation for the most possible mins. Reeves total mins are fine.

Except that he has said he likes coming off the bench. He’s averaging 28 minutes per game the last 5 games.

People on here have gone into full idiot mode.
Full idiot mode says the guys who thinks we shouldn’t play our best lineup together as much as possible.

I agree Cal is so hard headed - Livingston is not a 3
Yes he is a 3.
Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see him at the 4 some. And I think tonight was the first time all season he’s played some 4. But I think it’s been Livingston as much as Cal on not wanting to put him at the 4.

Except that he has said he likes coming off the bench. He’s averaging 28 minutes per game the last 5 games.

People on here have gone into full idiot mode.
Yes. And starting does not mean much. What matters is minutes, as bd he’s been getting those.

I noticed Cal put him in at the 4 for Toppin for a few minutes in both halves. That's where I think he can contribute more. He is a better 3pt shooter than Toppin and he gives us another shooter out there. And he can crash the boards pretty well, also, so you don't lose much rebounding.

I will admit, I was frustrated with Livingston getting the start again when it's clear the team is better with Reeves at the 3. Reeves comes in and the entire complexion of the game changed.

He is bitching because some people can't be happy. We won by 16 and are on a roll. But some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. Let's go Cats.
He’s complaining because we got down early again, something that could cost us a tournament game. What’s wrong with wanting to get out in front early for a change?

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I think Cal is trying to limit Livingston, Ware and Wheeler being on floor together at the same time. That combo happened again tonight and will probably have to happen most games. All 3 bring something to table, but they don’t need to play many mins together!

Not sure if Cal is thinking this way, but I like the observation. Hadn't thought about how Livingston starting makes it less likely that he'd play significant minutes with Wheeler and Ware both coming off the bench.

I tend to think Livingston was likely promised a starting spot at the 3. Cal is now earning his money convincing him that it's not going to hurt his draft stock to play the 4 at times. It won't.

I honestly don't understand the problem anyway. The 3 and 4 in our offense aren't any different when you're spreading the floor around Oscar.

Toppin gets plenty of opportunities on the perimeter to shoot or drive. I'm glad he's choosing not to take those shots as much, but Livingston could be in those same situations being guarded by a 4, which would be a mismatch in our favor.

If he buys in and Cal can truly get him confident in driving to the basket, it could take this team to an entirely different level.

Reactions: bballcat4
People are getting mad at Cal for sticking with Livingston at the 3. When all along it seems it’s been Livingston who was hell bent on playing there. Do we not remember him saying he was watching film on Hami Diallo and Booker here?

Cal is trying to keep Chris happy but knows he is better suited for the 4 spot. Chris has to trust Cal knows where his players will fit in the NBA — why a player would question Cal’s thinking in this after his track record of developing for the last 30 years is beyond me.

This isn’t all on Cal like these message board Bennies claim it to be.

Reactions: baseball is life
I haven't had a chance to talk to Cal personally about this, but I think he wants to give Livingston as much experience as possible. If there are injuries or Refs Gone Wild in March the more confidence and experience Chris has the better off we are.
I agree with that, however, if Cal is using that logic, he should probably be trying to get a few minutes for Thiero as well

People are getting mad at Cal for sticking with Livingston at the 3. When all along it seems it’s been Livingston who was hell bent on playing there. Do we not remember him saying he was watching film on Hami Diallo and Booker here?

Cal is trying to keep Chris happy but knows he is better suited for the 4 spot. Chris has to trust Cal knows where his players will fit in the NBA — why a player would question Cal’s thinking in this after his track record of developing for the last 30 years is beyond me.

This isn’t all on Cal like these message board Bennies claim it to be.
It IS on Cal if he's letting yet another player hold the program hostage. Spoiler alert: If a player is refusing to do what his coach asks of him and the coach lets him get away with it, especially to the detriment of the team, then that player is holding the program hostage. You know, that thing that Cal said he'd never let happen again......

He is bitching because some people can't be happy. We won by 16 and are on a roll. But some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. Let's go Cats.
You act like it’s not a legitimate complaint. You people are unbelievable. You’re so soft legit criticisms put you into full meltdown mode.

Kentucky fans mad because other Kentucky fans want to start the obvious best lineup. What a joke you people are.

Reactions: BBNWildcat
Reeves could score 50 tonight and he still wouldn’t start. Cal’s such a jackass
Cal will never let that happen. But that quick little runner Reeves has is nearly impossible to defend. Unless you allow the grabbing and shoving.

I was waiting for the moment when CJ hit 2 shots in a row for Cal to yank him. It didn't happen, but it is so Cal to do that.

Regardless of the “it’s not who starts” stuff that I disagree with, Cal needs to find a way to find points before the first media timeout. It’s a trend. They aren’t ready from the tip. Vandy was up 8-4 about 4 mins in … UK had 0 points in 3:30 against A&M, and many other examples.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
You consider 8-4 being down early? You are a tough fan.
Well let's see, 8-4 Vandy means they were up, we were down, and it was in the first three to four minutes, so yeah he's right and you're wrong. Why are you so hostile especially since your original assertion was incorrect?

LOL at still starting Chris Livingston over Reeves. I guess he loves slow starts for the 4th game in a row.
Yeah, a sluggish start as usual. Not starting his best five will cost us soon. Makes you think, what is wrong with the man? He knows now for sure who our five most productive group is on the floor together and yet he gambles with not starting one that should? He needs to take enormous heat over that stupidity, no reason for it. Just a matter of time before it cost us a game and a worse seed in the tournament.

Not sure if Cal is thinking this way, but I like the observation. Hadn't thought about how Livingston starting makes it less likely that he'd play significant minutes with Wheeler and Ware both coming off the bench.

I tend to think Livingston was likely promised a starting spot at the 3. Cal is now earning his money convincing him that it's not going to hurt his draft stock to play the 4 at times. It won't.

I honestly don't understand the problem anyway. The 3 and 4 in our offense aren't any different when you're spreading the floor around Oscar.

Toppin gets plenty of opportunities on the perimeter to shoot or drive. I'm glad he's choosing not to take those shots as much, but Livingston could be in those same situations being guarded by a 4, which would be a mismatch in our favor.

If he buys in and Cal can truly get him confident in driving to the basket, it could take this team to an entirely different level.
Ironically, I thought Cal recruited CL on being a small ball 4, which is what he’ll probably be at the next level. I do NOT have inside info, but that was mentioned by the talking heads before he committed.

I agree with you that those 2 positions seem to be similar (positionless) on offense. I’m guessing Cal’s greatest concern is rebounding and defense. To Toppin’s credit he learned his minutes were going to be earned by rebounding and defense. His offense is inconsistent.

If Toppin is getting 35 mins a game, then we’re talking about Livingston’s getting those other 5 mins at the 4.

I still think we’ll eventually see Toppin get some of Ware’s mins to back up Oscar against smaller teams. Ware brings energy and rebounding, but it really bogs down the offense. Ware is usually in the game with other subs (mainly Wheeler) and it severely limits the offense. Toppin sliding over to the 5 for a few mins would give Chris more time at the 4.

Ironically, I thought Cal recruited CL on being a small ball 4, which is what he’ll probably be at the next level. I do NOT have inside info, but that was mentioned by the talking heads before he committed.

I agree with you that those 2 positions seem to be similar (positionless) on offense. I’m guessing Cal’s greatest concern is rebounding and defense. To Toppin’s credit he learned his minutes were going to be earned by rebounding and defense. His offense is inconsistent.

If Toppin is getting 35 mins a game, then we’re talking about Livingston’s getting those other 5 mins at the 4.

I still think we’ll eventually see Toppin get some of Ware’s mins to back up Oscar against smaller teams. Ware brings energy and rebounding, but it really bogs down the offense. Ware is usually in the game with other subs (mainly Wheeler) and it severely limits the offense. Toppin sliding over to the 5 for a few mins would give Chris more time at the 4.
I agree. Should work in short stints to give Tshiebwe a break. Keep the best players on the floor. Toppin is big enough to defend the 5 spot for a couple of minutes each half.

Play Wallace/Fredrick/Reeves/Toppin/Tshiebwe as the main lineup and bring Wheeler in when Wallace or Fredrick need a break and Livingston in when Reeves, Toppin, or Tshiebwe need to go to the bench. Play Ware or Onyenso when Tshiebwe is out for extended minutes (like in foul trouble).

I would try to find some minutes for Thiero as well, when possible.

Reactions: bballcat4
He doesn’t start Reeves. He doesn’t start our best lineup. It’s just dumb and something a clown like Billy Gillispie would do. It’s like when he started Kahlil Whitney over Immanuel Quickley, it’s just dumb and pointless. Setting the tone and getting off to a good start is important.
Thanks coach. You are so intelligent

I bet Chris would give his starting spot to have the success that Reeves is having.

I forgot more basketball than you will ever know.
You’re clueless and clearly know nothing about basketball. That’s why you defend starting inferior players. You’re just a sheep blindly defending bad decisions.

Everyone knows Oscar, Toppin, Reeves, Fredrick and Wallace is our best lineup. You’re don’t, that’s how clueless you are. Something as obvious and basic as that and you still don’t get it. Bless your simple heart.

You’re clueless and clearly know nothing about basketball. That’s why you defend starting inferior players. You’re just a sheep blindly defending bad decisions.

Everyone knows Oscar, Toppin, Reeves, Fredrick and Wallace is our best lineup. You’re don’t, that’s how clueless you are. Something as obvious and basic as that and you still don’t get it. Bless your simple heart.
So you think that 5 can play the entire game? Shows how much you know. It is not who starts but who finishes the game that is more important. It is obvious you know very little about basketball.

The last 4 games with Livingston starting
Tennessee UK had 0 points at the 1st TV timeout
Georgia UK had 2 points at the 1st TV timeout
Texas A&M UK had 3 points at the first TV TO
Vanderbilt UK had 4 points at the first tv timeout

Apparently it’s unreasonable to be concerned with slow starts due to starting a bad lineup. My apologies to fans whose feeling get hurt over legitimate criticisms.
Cal finally said he wants to play Livingston at the 4 last night. That’s good if he actually does it.

Looks like he has been working on it, so I'm hoping he can become a Master of the Float Game to compliment his 3-ball stroke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT