ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll say it

Whatever you think about the hire, Mitch is tethering himself to Pope. If a pope fails, then Mitch is gone too. Pope is an alumni who understands and loves UK basketball. He has a reputation as a hard worker and great person. He plays a fun style and his players love him. What’s done is done. Mitch isn’t setting him up for failure, the fans are. Our entitlement and crying & whining. I’ll give him a shot and support him until he proves he can’t do it. No sense in cutting the man’s throat before he even starts.
You’re exactly right except for one thing. I don’t think worries one bit about his legacy or his job, he’s close to retirement. I think he’s very proud already of his accomplishments

You’re exactly right except for one thing. I don’t think worries one bit about his legacy or his job, he’s close to retirement. I think he’s very proud already of his accomplishments
I agree but I also don’t think he wants to retire or be fired with a failure here.

Whatever you think about the hire, Mitch is tethering himself to Pope. If a pope fails, then Mitch is gone too. Pope is an alumni who understands and loves UK basketball. He has a reputation as a hard worker and great person. He plays a fun style and his players love him. What’s done is done. Mitch isn’t setting him up for failure, the fans are. Our entitlement and crying & whining. I’ll give him a shot and support him until he proves he can’t do it. No sense in cutting the man’s throat before he even starts.
I will support him as a person and former Cat. Just feels like Kenny Payne 2.0.

I disagree. Mitch is going to hang it up in a few years anyway after his extension he received.

According to Matt Norlander, MB never aggressively pursued Donovan & he basically knew 3 days ago that Pope was his guy. And, MJ says he made the decision on his own. If that’s true, he has to go. He neglected his job & didn’t do everything he could to make the best hire possible.

And, that’s nothing against Pope. I’ve always liked him & I hope he does great here. But, in no world is it ok to hire him at this point in his career without at least making an effort to land the very best candidates, first. This was just lazy & negligent. Totally unacceptable.

Unbelievable how absolutely shitty our so called fans are being towards him already. I completely understand having reservations about the hire, or not agreeing with it completey. But the out right bashing he's getting before even coaching his first game is just bizarre. He's our coach, and one of ours. Get behind him and give him a college chance. If he fails, I'll be right there with everyone when it's time to move on. But until then, I'm supporting him 100% and can't wait to see what he can do!

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
I'll cheer for Mark because I still really like him as a person but I'm mainly worried about our recruiting.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Sure hope you are right. Just think a Pearl or similar coach could have gotten us off to a hot start.
Pope is a nobody to recruits outside of the UK fanbase.
I agree. I liked Pearl and hoped he would have gotten a call. I don’t know if name power is as strong as money and exposure in this NIL era. At least I hope not.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I’m not mad at Pope. I’m mad at Mitch for going solo on this hire. He’s setting up Pope for Career suicide and UK a tailspin.
The hire is growing on me the more I think about it. It's all about who he can roster. Remember that old saying from back in the day?!? Players first

According to Matt Norlander, MB never aggressively pursued Donovan & he basically knew 3 days ago that Pope was his guy. And, MJ says he made the decision on his own. If that’s true, he has to go. He neglected his job & didn’t do everything he could to make the best hire possible.

And, that’s nothing against Pope. I’ve always liked him & I hope he does great here. But, in no world is it ok to hire him at this point in his career without at least making an effort to land the very best candidates, first. This was just lazy & negligent. Totally unacceptable.
I don’t disagree with you. I’m just saying it is what it is and at this point and if Mark is the guy, then we are doing him a disservice as fans right now. We don’t do the hiring. Mitch is the one to blame but we shouldn’t blame until it doesn’t work.

To be honest I’m not sure. The way he handled this coaching search was pathetic.
It may be. I’m not sure. We don’t know who all was contacted and what was said. We just have the word of social media click baiters. It’s hard for me to trust any media this day and age. They have too much to gain from attention.

Reactions: true blue1
I'll cheer for Mark because I still really like him as a person but I'm mainly worried about our recruiting.
Recruiting is a question mark I have as well. But with NIL, I think recruiting is a different ballgame now. Money talks so as long as we can get that where it needs to be, with our facilities and Mark's style of play, I believe we will be ok. And as we've learned with Cal, it's not just about getting 5 stars. It's about getting guys who fit your system, play well together, and want to win championships.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
And can people keep saying Mark is one of our own and deserves a chance.He's not owed anything our other coaches weren't.
Exactly

‪He’s averaged 12 losses per season, never won a conference, never won an NCAAT game, has gotten one top 100 recruit in his career. In no world is he qualified to be the coach at Kentucky.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Mitch doesn’t care he’s about ready to retire. I do think he wants pope to work out. Mitch can just leave when he wants to no way he’s ever going to get fired.

Good news for BBN is that 99.7% of fans have absolutely zero idea about conversations had behind the scenes. And I fully believe Mitch wouldn’t hire a guy that the big donors are actively against, no matter what Matt Jones says on X.
This^^. 99% of the peanut gallery in here believes in one tweet by one person and takes it as truth.
Mitch did not go rogue and do this on his own. I'm sure he consulted many donors and others. Just ridiculous to think he didn't.
Is pope a slam dunk hire? NOBODY knows. No one. We have to wait and see. Could be great could be awful.

Reactions: sefus12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT