ADVERTISEMENT

If Cyril and Reeves are here …

Jjohnb5393

Freshman
Mar 25, 2022
….I think we have solid inside / outside potential and a team with an extremely high ceiling . We’ll lose our usual early games , but I think this team would be less likely to fade and will get measurably better. There has to be a reason that teams wanted UGO bad in the portal , and Reeves as well . think it’s a potential roster most teams would swap for . We say it every year, but if a couple of these guys come back ..and I think that Cyril, Thiero and Burks are good candidates ..they can be a good nucleus going forward to then add portal pieces to ( and maybe more successfully with these reported NIL changes ) and some top 20 recruits . I’m not even mentioning the shooter from Indiana ( that’s no doubt a multi-year player) that may come …but if Reeves comes back , he may pass .

I just hope he doesn't wait til the end of the year to find the lineups that work the best. I don't care if that's more shooters or what. Still wish we could add another portal combo guard and/or portal stretch 4.
Not a ton of lineup flexibility to be had after almost every player on the team gets their roles and playing time promised by the coach

Not a ton of lineup flexibility to be had after almost every player on the team gets their roles and playing time promised by the coach
Give it a rest bru snd Go Cincinnati Reds!
See you boys in the World Series!
Bwah ha ha ha ha!!!!

But, but, but … Matt Jones said the entire program was in disarray …let’s see the finished roster but you know what I’m saying

But, but, but … Matt Jones said the entire program was in disarray …let’s see the finished roster but you know what I’m saying
Cal is finally scrambling to catch up with every other major program after a disastrous off-season. He might salvage it in the bottom of the 9th inning but the program has been a shit show for some time now

Cal is finally scrambling to catch up with every other major program after a disastrous off-season. He might salvage it in the bottom of the 9th inning but the program has been a shit show for some time now
He isn't salvaging shit. The roster he has put together is unproven in college basketball and will likely get educated early and often. The best hope is that they learn on the go and form chemistry to be better by March.
If the next coming of Jordan (Reeves) according to some on here, decides to stay and end his drama show, it will be interesting to see how he acclimates to the freshmen and if he takes the role of leader.
These freshmen will have to grow up fast but since Calipari just rolls the ball out there expect nothing but an AAU type of team.

If he wants to roll with youngsters let him …judge after he’s finished …I’ll join you if it continues …Jones went to far …many people now pulling for Cal to bring his successes back …will be interesting …Jones trashed the entire program …not just Cal …threw the entire program and admin under the bus

Reactions: catlogic15
If he wants to roll with youngsters let him …judge after he’s finished …I’ll join you if it continues …Jones went to far …many people now pulling for Cal to bring his successes back …will be interesting …Jones trashed the entire program …not just Cal …threw the entire program and admin under the bus
Give it up man.Get mad at the guy in Cal who is really hurting the program.

He spoke the truth about people who are paid handsomely to be able to stomach critique.

How is that a bad thing?

As he should have. What has happened to this program is inexcusable and SOMEONE should have to answer for it

….I think we have solid inside / outside potential and a team with an extremely high ceiling . We’ll lose our usual early games , but I think this team would be less likely to fade and will get measurably better. There has to be a reason that teams wanted UGO bad in the portal , and Reeves as well . think it’s a potential roster most teams would swap for . We say it every year, but if a couple of these guys come back ..and I think that Cyril, Thiero and Burks are good candidates ..they can be a good nucleus going forward to then add portal pieces to ( and maybe more successfully with these reported NIL changes ) and some top 20 recruits . I’m not even mentioning the shooter from Indiana ( that’s no doubt a multi-year player) that may come …but if Reeves comes back , he may pass .
What makes you think Cyril will contribute? He’s a barely inside the top 100 4 star that’s re-classing. Sooooo, basically a poor man’s Ugo. I mean, that’s some seriously unproven post presence/rim protection. If Cyril commits and is counted on for minutes, this team won’t be very good at all.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Time will tell …looking forward to watching …he wants to roll with young guys let’s see what he can do …I do think this is his last stand

What makes you think Cyril will contribute? He’s a barely inside the top 100 4 star that’s re-classing. Sooooo, basically a poor man’s Ugo. I mean, that’s some seriously unproven post presence/rim protection. If Cyril commits and is counted on for minutes, this team won’t be very good at all.

Again, it's not fair to judge a guy by their worst ranking. In the composite for 2024, Cyril is #41. Onyenso finished at #36 in 2022 and was at #22 in the 2023 class.

While it's fair to say he's about what Onyenso is, that's not a bad player, by any means, to have as a sidekick/backup to Onyenso.

Again, it's not fair to judge a guy by their worst ranking. In the composite for 2024, Cyril is #41. Onyenso finished at #36 in 2022 and was at #22 in the 2023 class.

While it's fair to say he's about what Onyenso is, that's not a bad player, by any means, to have as a sidekick/backup to Onyenso.
I’d like one to be a late 90’s Nazr and blossom , tho these days those types are gone ( pros ) as soon as they flash that potential . Both can affect a game on defense , probably Cyril on the boards as well .

I’d like one to be a late 90’s Nazr and blossom , tho these days those types are gone ( pros ) as soon as they flash that potential . Both can affect a game on defense , probably Cyril on the boards as well .

Mohammed would've probably left after 96/97. That is a good comparison though maybe for a Cyril/Onyenso tandem. Mohammed (So) and Magloire (Fr) played the 5 in 96/97 despite having played very little college bball before.

I didn’t say he was a bad player. But as a re-classes frosh, it’s a pretty big stretch to think he can contribute much at all to a really good team. How much did Ugo, Lance, or Collins contribute? Does anyone really think Ugo is going to be anything more than a dunker and athletic (and very slender) rim protector? Literally nobody currently on the roster is even an above average shooter. It’s unreal what the accepted has become. And what the excitement level has become around extremely average. It’s kind of sad.

MD you are arguing with idiots that will not let facts get in the way of their witch hunt. They are really going to pissed now with LaFamilia. Guys they bitched about and hated for leaving early and hating Cal for his loyalty to them, will actually be the ones helping with NIL. It will be their way of repaying Cal for his loyalty to them. Cal haters really gonna be salty.
And guess what ? All NIL supporters will all be people Cal knows,,, and trust. No kissing booster asses , going to weddings, parties etc of theirs to keep them happy and donating. Just his friends and former players giving back.

He isn't salvaging shit. The roster he has put together is unproven in college basketball and will likely get educated early and often. The best hope is that they learn on the go and form chemistry to be better by March.
If the next coming of Jordan (Reeves) according to some on here, decides to stay and end his drama show, it will be interesting to see how he acclimates to the freshmen and if he takes the role of leader.
These freshmen will have to grow up fast but since Calipari just rolls the ball out there expect nothing but an AAU type of team.
It's really great when Kentucky "fans" have this type of reaction to the #1 recruiting class in the country. I suspect that this "fan" , like so many Cal haters, wants our team to fail.

It's really great when Kentucky "fans" have this type of reaction to the #1 recruiting class in the country. I suspect that this "fan" , like so many Cal haters, wants our team to fail.
No I don't want UK to fail but your boy Calturd has allowed the PROGRAM to take a backseat and that's unacceptable.
Difference between you and I....I'm a UK program fan, your a Calipari fan.

Who is your GOLD STANDARD? Coach K? He won one championship between 1992 and 2010 -- when he was about the age Calipari is now, and went to FEWER Final Fours during those years of his life than Cal.

Coach K went NINE YEARS from 2001 until 2010 with ONE Elite Eight appearance. Even in this tough stretch, Calipari has been to the Elite Eight -- and lost very, very close games - twice in the past six tournaments, and had a team in 2020 very capable of a Final Four.

I could make comparisons with other Elite coaches.

In any case, the point was made about Cal's ceiling. Since he's won a championship and been to six Final Fours he has proven his ceiling to be high.
How high is his ceiling the last five years? Do you honestly have the same confidence in him you did 7-10 years ago? If you do, cool. You’re in the minority, both with the fan base and the so-called experts. It’s kind of like pro sports contracts. It’s a really bad idea to pay based on past performances. A much better idea to use past performances and recent trends to predict future value. If you were doing that with Cal, it’s super hard for me to believe anyone with half a brain has even an inkling of the same belief in him now they did 7 yrs ago.

No I don't want UK to fail but your boy Calturd has allowed the PROGRAM to take a backseat and that's unacceptable.
Difference between you and I....I'm a UK program fan, your a Calipari fan.
You mean >I don't hate the coach. How in the hell has Cal allowed the program to take a backseat when we have the #1 recruiting class in the country? Some analysts are now saying UK may end up with the #1 NIL program in college basketball. Does that sound like a coach that is letting a program decline?

You mean >I don't hate the coach. How in the hell has Cal allowed the program to take a backseat when we have the #1 recruiting class in the country? Some analysts are now saying UK may end up with the #1 NIL program in college basketball. Does that sound like a coach that is letting a program decline?
Your putting way to much faith on that number 1 recruiting class buddy.
However I am glad to hear about using former players as a means to improve our NIL. That's a positive development

Mohammed would've probably left after 96/97. That is a good comparison though maybe for a Cyril/Onyenso tandem. Mohammed (So) and Magloire (Fr) played the 5 in 96/97 despite having played very little college bball before.
True. I mean Nazr pretty much just played JV as a FR. And Mags wasn't a "high recruit", probably equivalent to Cyril.
But that 97 team had 2 All-American's for 2/3 of the season.

I don't think our 23-24 season results will be decided at the 5/C spot. And even though I think Bradshaw may be the weak-link in our starting 5, I think how good we will be will be decided (in order) by the 2/SG, 1/PG, 3/SF spots.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Oh indeed! (Omar voice)

Our ceiling is 2nd to no one, IMO. Since the season ended, we keep talking about guys like Wagner and Edwards and Bradshaw and Dilly being over-rated, not as good, potential busts.

But what if one of them plays to their ranking? What if Wagner players BEYOND his ranking? Or, what if, TWO of them play to their ranking or beyond? These ARE the type of recruits who, like a Wall or AD, can take over the game.

Who knows if it will happen. I still would like 1 more contributing piece (I personally don't care if we don't have a 12th or 13th man), and I'd still prefer some more experience. But this is an ELITE class, where it appears all of them will play. We haven't had both since.. the Fox/Monk season? Get Reeves back and there's a LOT to be excited about.

Oh indeed! (Omar voice)

Our ceiling is 2nd to no one, IMO. Since the season ended, we keep talking about guys like Wagner and Edwards and Bradshaw and Dilly being over-rated, not as good, potential busts.

But what if one of them plays to their ranking? What if Wagner players BEYOND his ranking? Or, what if, TWO of them play to their ranking or beyond? These ARE the type of recruits who, like a Wall or AD, can take over the game.

Who knows if it will happen. I still would like 1 more contributing piece (I personally don't care if we don't have a 12th or 13th man), and I'd still prefer some more experience. But this is an ELITE class, where it appears all of them will play. We haven't had both since.. the Fox/Monk season? Get Reeves back and there's a LOT to be excited about.
San Diego State and FIU weren’t highly thought of in the summer & had guys break out a little bit …and good things happened . What if Thiero is a guy that takes a big step? He’s a guy not mentioned enough …big work ethic . Lots of things could happen .

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
San Diego State and FIU weren’t highly thought of in the summer & had guys break out a little bit …and good things happened . What if Thiero is a guy that takes a big step? He’s a guy not mentioned enough …big work ethic . Lots of things could happen .

Exactly. Sure, there are ways that this can fail, many of them. I think we're all being very cautious based on the last few years

But the potential is there.. and sometimes all you need is that one elite guy who begins to draw out the talent and production in others. Does Monk drop nearly 50pts on UNC if the PG is Wheeler instead of Fox?

Would much rather that they somehow land Jordan Brown over Cyril. The team needs another guy that’s got tons of experience, has played in big games in front of big crowds, and knows a thing or two because they’ve seen a thing or two.
We need both.

We have just 3 guys at the 4 and 5 spots (Burks is more of a 3 despite being around 6’10). We need another 4/5 or stretch 4.

I would take Brown and Cyril. Cyril is still raw and a bit of a project. He is prone to foul trouble. Onyenso is also unproven and still a project. Get Brown, who is proven at the D-1 level.

Bradshaw, Brown, Onyenso, and Cyril.

PF Bradshaw(25)/Brown(15)
C Brown(10)/Onyenso(15)/Cyril(15)

And whichever is better between Cyril and Onyenso, give them more minutes as the season wears on.

Cal always likes to rotate 4 guys at the 4 and 5. I have heard him say before he feels short handed if his fourth big man is weak or he doesn’t really have one.

Reactions: K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT