ADVERTISEMENT

If Cyril and Reeves are here …

We need both.

We have just 3 guys at the 4 and 5 spots (Burks is more of a 3 despite being around 6’10). We need another 4/5 or stretch 4.

I would take Brown and Cyril. Cyril is still raw and a bit of a project. He is prone to foul trouble. Onyenso is also unproven and still a project. Get Brown, who is proven at the D-1 level.

Bradshaw, Brown, Onyenso, and Cyril.

PF Bradshaw(25)/Brown(15)
C Brown(10)/Onyenso(15)/Cyril(15)

And whichever is better between Cyril and Onyenso, give them more minutes as the season wears on.

Cal always likes to rotate 4 guys at the 4 and 5. I have heard him say before he feels short handed if his fourth big man is weak or he doesn’t really have one.
For sure...we need more than 3 bodies that can play PF and C.

The thought of going into season with Bradshaw, Ugonna and maybe Cyril...not near enough

….I think we have solid inside / outside potential and a team with an extremely high ceiling . We’ll lose our usual early games , but I think this team would be less likely to fade and will get measurably better. There has to be a reason that teams wanted UGO bad in the portal , and Reeves as well . think it’s a potential roster most teams would swap for . We say it every year, but if a couple of these guys come back ..and I think that Cyril, Thiero and Burks are good candidates ..they can be a good nucleus going forward to then add portal pieces to ( and maybe more successfully with these reported NIL changes ) and some top 20 recruits . I’m not even mentioning the shooter from Indiana ( that’s no doubt a multi-year player) that may come …but if Reeves comes back , he may pass .
You realize we won’t be a top 15-20 team? I don’t think our fans have checked out other rosters. There are some stacked teams with talent and returning experience. And losing early is what kills us late.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
You realize we won’t be a top 15-20 team? I don’t think our fans have checked out other rosters. There are some stacked teams with talent and returning experience. And losing early is what kills us late.
Looking around the only rosters I am really impressed with are Duke and Kansas.Every other team has holes.

Reactions: track42
For sure...we need more than 3 bodies that can play PF and C.

The thought of going into season with Bradshaw, Ugonna and maybe Cyril...not near enough
If Cal only adds one more big, it’s probably because he thinks Burks can play some at the 4.

Reactions: K_TIME
Oh indeed! (Omar voice)

Our ceiling is 2nd to no one, IMO. Since the season ended, we keep talking about guys like Wagner and Edwards and Bradshaw and Dilly being over-rated, not as good, potential busts.

But what if one of them plays to their ranking? What if Wagner players BEYOND his ranking? Or, what if, TWO of them play to their ranking or beyond? These ARE the type of recruits who, like a Wall or AD, can take over the game.

Who knows if it will happen. I still would like 1 more contributing piece (I personally don't care if we don't have a 12th or 13th man), and I'd still prefer some more experience. But this is an ELITE class, where it appears all of them will play. We haven't had both since.. the Fox/Monk season? Get Reeves back and there's a LOT to be excited about.
You make a good point, we haven't had a player lately that has played up to or exceeded his ranking(talking true frosh here) Oscar lived up to his billing. We are overdue to have a breakout player. Honestly today's Cal hinders the likelihood of that happening but it is possible with this group particularly if we add Cyril.

We have multiple candidates who could break out(you can add our 2 returnees to that list) None of this may come to pass but if Reeves returns and we add the PG from Rutgers we have a good roster that has come out of thin air.

My confidence in Cal remains low but even he is overdue to do something right.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Looking around the only rosters I am really impressed with are Duke and Kansas.Every other team has holes.
Well UCOnn will be strong again. Fla Atlantic lost no one from their run. MSU and Purdue will be much improved. Texas will be strong. Sure is there a hole here and there? Yea but not like our team without any men

Such a foolish comment about a coach who has won a national championship, been to two other Final games and a total of six Final Fours.

I guess that's Calipari's ceiling. Not sure many coaching today have a higher one.
It’d be cool if he could make it to the sweet sixteen every 8 years or so……

Reactions: bigbluedon
I'm fine with Cyril or Jordan Brown. Need some experience back with Reeves and Brown would give the roster much needed experience if he were to commit.

I don't care what anybody says. If we get Cyril, Hart and Reeves comes back, we will be one of the most talented teams in the country.

I don't care what anybody says. If we get Cyril, Hart and Reeves comes back, we will be one of the most talented teams in the country.
We always are...that's not the issue.

2021 - Preseason #10 - Went 9-16
2022 - Preseason #10 - Lost to #15 seed
2023 - Preseason #4 - Finished unranked and couldn't advance past the first weekend.
2024 - ??? - Not sure but the best case roster you mentioned will still be 10-15 losses IMO. Might have to win the SEC tourney to make the NCAA. I'm just not confident in this #1 ranked class's ability to be great as Frosh.

Regards

I know that the workout vids posted to IG are made to make these guys look incredible, but I was so impressed with Cyril. No idea he had a decent stroke, and it goes without saying he’s chiseled in the model of Jalen Duren. Do you think we get him by the end of next week?

MD you are arguing with idiots that will not let facts get in the way of their witch hunt. They are really going to pissed now with LaFamilia. Guys they bitched about and hated for leaving early and hating Cal for his loyalty to them, will actually be the ones helping with NIL. It will be their way of repaying Cal for his loyalty to them. Cal haters really gonna be salty.
And guess what ? All NIL supporters will all be people Cal knows,,, and trust. No kissing booster asses , going to weddings, parties etc of theirs to keep them happy and donating. Just his friends and former players giving back.
I’ll put my knowledge of the game up against yours any day mr Einstein. Glory Hallelujah cal has finally gotten off his ass to try and do something to stop the program from spiraling out of control. Maybe he can buy a coaching for dummies book next and learn some out of bounds plays, teach an effective use of zone, and scratch his deer in the headlights antics on the sidelines during games. Not holding my breath on that though. Will still be out coached and lose games that matter. At the top of his game cal lost a final four game with 8 players who went on to the league (2 bona fide superstars, and 3 others who produced) to a team that had 3 total players who went and 1 that produced.

You mean >I don't hate the coach. How in the hell has Cal allowed the program to take a backseat when we have the #1 recruiting class in the country? Some analysts are now saying UK may end up with the #1 NIL program in college basketball. Does that sound like a coach that is letting a program decline?
They are saying they are the number 1 class but they have not played a game yet. The pundits are saying we MIGHT end up with the #1 NIL program but it hasn’t happened yet. See what I am doing here? You are relying on what if’s and mights. None of this crap means a thing at this point. Cal needs to get things turned around for this season and do it now. By the way why didn’t we get Kaluma if Cal is such a great recruiter?

We always are...that's not the issue.

2021 - Preseason #10 - Went 9-16
2022 - Preseason #10 - Lost to #15 seed
2023 - Preseason #4 - Finished unranked and couldn't advance past the first weekend.
2024 - ??? - Not sure but the best case roster you mentioned will still be 10-15 losses IMO. Might have to win the SEC tourney to make the NCAA. I'm just not confident in this #1 ranked class's ability to be great as Frosh.

Regards
That 2021 team was overrated and was affected by Covid. The 2022 team was seriously hurt by injuries. Last year's team was vastly overrated.

If Cal only adds one more big, it’s probably because he thinks Burks can play some at the 4.
And you're probably right....Cal probably scoops up Cyril (if he can) and calls it a day.

1. I just don't see Burks as a guy that can play college level PF in 2023 year......so Bradshaw is going to play 38 minutes a game if he can (which is a huge mistake IMO). To not have better options at PF is just kids first and not UK first...and the Tennessee transfer has been out there dangling for months and we never tried.

2. Cyril (if we get him) and Ugonna will fight out for Center. And I can get my head around those two bodies as enough for Center minutes and enough talent to be a good team inside.

Just feels like we centered our team around showcasing Bradshaw at a brand new PF spot vs. put our best foot forward for Ky in 2023.

They are saying they are the number 1 class but they have not played a game yet. The pundits are saying we MIGHT end up with the #1 NIL program but it hasn’t happened yet. See what I am doing here? You are relying on what if’s and mights. None of this crap means a thing at this point. Cal needs to get things turned around for this season and do it now. By the way why didn’t we get Kaluma if Cal is such a great recruiter?
Kaluma didn't want to compete for minutes with a Mcdonald's All-American.

I’ll put my knowledge of the game up against yours any day mr Einstein. Glory Hallelujah cal has finally gotten off his ass to try and do something to stop the program from spiraling out of control. Maybe he can buy a coaching for dummies book next and learn some out of bounds plays, teach an effective use of zone, and scratch his deer in the headlights antics on the sidelines during games. Not holding my breath on that though. Will still be out coached and lose games that matter. At the top of his game cal lost a final four game with 8 players who went on to the league (2 bona fide superstars, and 3 others who produced) to a team that had 3 total players who went and 1 that produced.
When is your "coaching for dummies" book coming out?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT