ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the lineup when Tre returns...

BlueBomb

All-American
Apr 3, 2009
When (if) Tre Mitchell returns, I love the offensive potential of this lineup:

Dillingham at the point.
Reeves at the two.
Edwards at the three.
Mitchell at the four.
Big Z in the middle.

Other thoughts:
-- Despite the offensive ability of that group, how the heck can you keep Thiero off the floor? You can't.
-- Other than Z, the lineup above can also hold their own defensively. If the opponent has a beefier front line, Ugo will have to get more minutes, of course.
-- I'm probably in the minority, but I believe Wagner should continue to start with Dillingham and Shep obviously getting more minutes.
-- Bradshaw becomes the odd man out when the rotation tightens in March. Heck, I think Burks brings more to the table than Bradshaw.

If there's a minute to go, and we absolutely MUST get a couple stops, I'd go with: DJ, Reeves, Thiero, Ugo and...Burks.

What say you?

Too many bigs in that lineup for me. But I’m sure Cal will love it.
I like any lineup that has Sheppard, Reeves, and Dillingham on the court together.
I would add Z in at the 5 and alternate Edwards, Theiro, and Mitchell at the four.
Use DJ for spot minutes and breathers for our 3 other guards.

I like the small ball lineup when Mitchell returns. Not all the time, but enough to make other teams think about it.

I want to see:

G Sheppard
G Dillingham
G Reeves
F Thiero or Edwards
F Mitchell

At least 10 minutes a game of that lineup.

That lineup is hard to guard.

The main thing to me is to keep three guards out there at all times. Reeves at the 3 spot makes us much better offensively.

I just don’t know where he fits in at this point. Thiero brings so much more physicality, spacing, and play making ability. Mitchell hasn’t been a threat from deep since December and he is atrocious defensively. I want the rotation to tighten up and play Shep, Reeves, Dilly, Edwards, Thiero, Z, and Ugo as much as possible. Bradshaw, Wagner, and Mitchell have become the odd men out.

Any lineup conversation should have 3 guards in it. Sheppard dillingham and reeves should be included In any lineup combo. After that any combination of theiro edwards ugo Mitchell and Ivisic is fine depending on the matchup. Sheppard dilly reeves Edwards and ugo would be fine with me

Mitchell’s reinsertion into the lineup at this point is gonna kill the good thing we have going, IMO. I agree with TT… spot minutes backing up Thiero in case of foul trouble but that’s it.

Reed
Rob
Reeves
Edwards/ Thiero/ Mitchell (no particular order)
Z

Whoever doesn’t start between Edwards, Thiero, Mitchell…
Wagner
Ugo
Burks
Bradshaw

The 3 R’s need 30 minutes+ on the court at the same time, and 2/3 should be on the court at all times, with Wagner, Thiero, Edwards filling the void for rest or fouls. Two of the 7 ft.’rs should never be used together, and no more than 2 subs on the court together at the same time.

That’s UK’s best opportunity going forward to make a deep run, aka, a FF.

When you don't have a real backup for you, you play soft defensively. For most of the season, there was no backup for Mitchell. You can eyeball a player and know what his physical/tempermental limit is and what his instructions from the coaching staff were?

He can backup thiero & play 15 or so mins as long as he’s hitting 3s. But I’d be surprised if he plays before the SEC tourney, never been in a sling on the bench but free to wave that towel and bounce around during TOs. We need toughness down low, not seen alot out of him in that area.
Really ? He played hurt in SEVERAL games. And you do NOT know the severity of his injury. He was / is our leading rebounder, but yeah he is not tough enough. He came back before he was fully healed, and got hurt again.

Just keep Bradshaw on the bench or for mop up minutes. Shep has to start at PG, Dillingham at SG at start of game.

Reactions: KFuqua
I have said this repeatedly, and have been blasted for it...

But Tre should never be playing more then 10-15 min a game. He is incredibly slow and lazy defensively, shies away from physicality, and if he isn't hitting from deep on pick and pops (which he hasn't been doing at all recently), the guy can't be out there.

Too many fans are getting hung up in Tre's leadership, or his ability to communicate...

The answer to the OP is Reed, Dilly, Reeves. Adou, and Z should see the majority of the minutes...with Edwards, Ugo, Tre, and DJ seeing the remaining minutes, in that order.

Really ? He played hurt in SEVERAL games. And you do NOT know the severity of his injury. He was / is our leading rebounder, but yeah he is not tough enough. He came back before he was fully healed, and got hurt again.
I like thiero’s athleticism and physicality down low, my opinion and seems to me if he can wave a towel around then he could give us 10 mins or so the last few games. We need him to make a run but I just don’t expect him back before SEC tourney. Once again…..my opinion and what a message board is about.

Reactions: westerncat
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Trey
Ugo

Is what we are putting on the floor to start the games once Trey returns.
You know, I don't think that's a bad lineup per se. It's just that I don't think that's the best lineup UK can and should start, finish or mostly play.

Wagner is a big disappointment so far for me. I know he had an ankle injury and should be over that by now but the kid is just not a good shooter.

Reactions: Big Foot 275
Reed
Dillingham
Reeves
Edwards or Thiero - split minutes
Ugonna or Z - depends on matchup
DJ and Mitchell get 10-15 minutes a game
Reed is clearly the best all around player on the team and he doesn't need to ever come off the floor unless he asks to rest. You play your best players the most minutes. I can assure you the other coaches are.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob_47
When (if) Tre Mitchell returns, I love the offensive potential of this lineup:

Dillingham at the point.
Reeves at the two.
Edwards at the three.
Mitchell at the four.
Big Z in the middle.

Other thoughts:
-- Despite the offensive ability of that group, how the heck can you keep Thiero off the floor? You can't.
-- Other than Z, the lineup above can also hold their own defensively. If the opponent has a beefier front line, Ugo will have to get more minutes, of course.
-- I'm probably in the minority, but I believe Wagner should continue to start with Dillingham and Shep obviously getting more minutes.
-- Bradshaw becomes the odd man out when the rotation tightens in March. Heck, I think Burks brings more to the table than Bradshaw.

If there's a minute to go, and we absolutely MUST get a couple stops, I'd go with: DJ, Reeves, Thiero, Ugo and...Burks.

What say you?
Wagner is our point guard no matter the rest of the lineup.

I like thiero’s athleticism and physicality down low, my opinion and seems to me if he can wave a towel around then he could give us 10 mins or so the last few games. We need him to make a run but I just don’t expect him back before SEC tourney. Once again…..my opinion and what a message board is about.
Waving a towel around and banging with big bodies, setting picks, diving on the floor, the ability to launch 3's or even shoot the ball are two different situations. And yes you are entitled to your opinion, that is what message boards are all about, if everyone had the same view point it would be boring. But to question a players toughness when he has shown he is a gamer, played hurt, and actually leads us in rebounds (rebounding shows toughness),I think is not a very good opinion. If you think he is not the right players v/s such and such, that player should play over him, fine, but to say he has not shown toughness I think is a bit off. If he was only getting 2 rebounds a game, didn't get on the floor after loose balls, not setting picks, then you would maybe have a point. But he was forced to play center because of our centers being out, he was undersized, constantly giving up 2/3 inches in height and 20 lbs. And still is our leading rebounder.

In his last 4 games (playing hurt) he had :
2/13 Ole Miss - 6 rebounds in only 21 minutes. Was having a very good game before reinjuring his back.
2/03 Tenn. - 5 rebounds in only 23 minutes. you could he was struggling and UT is very physical.
1/31 Florida - 9 rebounds
1/27 Arkansas - 11 rebounds

He may not be the best defender of the bigs (other than Onyenso who is great ?), but toughness ? I can't say that is a weakness with him. In my opinion, Z is probably the least tough of the bigs. BOTH Mitchell and Thiero have had back issues, maybe split the time at the 4 between the two, depending on who is playing better, Edwards has to be in there some. Have him split time at the 3/ maybe some 4 in a small ball situation. Playing the 3 when one of the guards goes out.

I thik he can play decent minutes at the 5. We were running that small ball game very well before the 7 footers came back.

PG: Reed (30) Wagner (10)
SG: Reeves (33) Rob (7)
SF: Edwards: (15), Rob (20), Adou (5)
PF: Mitchell (15), Edwards (10), Adou (15)
C: Mitchell (15), Z (15), Ugo/Bradshaw (5)

Tremendous question....and I know Cal is going to insert him as starter. That is a given. But....

1. Mitchell has serious defensive issues.....he simply doesn't defend like his hair is on fire in addition to he's probably limited a bit athletically. But I don't see him fighting/contesting like Thiero does. Thiero 21 blocks to Mitchell 25 blocks in nearly half the minutes.
2. The ugly fact that nobody wants to admit...Mitchell is an average 3pt shooter. He has been slumping on his shot and is down to 33% 3pt land. Not bad....but nothing great. Thiero (35%) and Edwards (35%) both shoot a bit better than Mitchell. Nobody would think it...but the stats are the stats.
3. Rebounding...Mitchell is also an average rebounder. 7.5 boards when he plays 33 minutes a game. Thiero and Edwards while not better....they're not far off.

In the end, I suspect Mitchell walks back into 32 minutes (Cal needs never play more minutes...but it's Cal we're talking about). But Edwards at the PF may disappear, Thiero gets less minutes...maybe the only good thing is Bradshaw minutes might completely disappear. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I just don’t know where he fits in at this point. Thiero brings so much more physicality, spacing, and play making ability. Mitchell hasn’t been a threat from deep since December and he is atrocious defensively. I want the rotation to tighten up and play Shep, Reeves, Dilly, Edwards, Thiero, Z, and Ugo as much as possible. Bradshaw, Wagner, and Mitchell have become the odd men out.
January he was 9-24 from deep so not bad at 37.5% but he is 0-February in 9 attempts. I definitely like Mitchell, just not at 32 plus a game. We have too many options at the 4 and 5 spots for him to play that many minutes. 20/game should be about right for him though. Wagner will continue playing as zero chance cal sits him. Although he isn’t playing Bradshaw much he’s still sneaking him in there for 5 minutes a game which makes zero sense. Just don’t play him at all unless absolutely necessary. Enough bodies and minutes to go around to ensure all stay as fresh as needed. Cal just needs to avoid some of the horrendous lineups he tends to put on the floor together. Ugo/edwards/theiro/wagner/reeves type lineups.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT