ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

Beard at TT has done a great job. I don't follow other schools and don't know much about him, but Beard has done a wonderful job at TT.

Forgot about Drew...he’s certainly worth a look. He’s built Baylor into a pretty formidable program.
Forget about Beard as well. He'll never be in Lexington. He's already the third highest paid coach in College Basketball and has it made in Lubbock.

I find it odd how Cal is always compared to Nick Saban. Saban is RELENTLESS in reinventing himself, his program, moving people out who aren't as hungry as he is and obsessed with the task of going after championships. Recruiting is year around and he never lets up. Does he win every year? Of course not, but it's not from exhausting every avenue/opportunity to do so and studying the trends in the sport to stay ahead of competition. Even little things that people don't care about but matter like the "Turnover Belt" which Saban's program started--the tents on the sidelines for injured players, he started all of that. FB wise-he is innovative, creative, and demands domination. He doesn't accept winning, he demands it and wants to dominate everyone who opposes him. Someone as accomplished as him at his age (he's 68 or 69) usually softens and if anything I think he's more competitive to prove everyone wrong. All he loves/cares about is what he does. Cal has a lot of other interests and now he's at UK he doesn't have to work as hard to get good enough players to keep people happy. Good enough seasons where he can spew things that many will buy (like last year's team was going to win the NC) and just when you want to light him up-something happens to keep you buying in.

He's a great coach who is settling for being very good. He's not demanding recruiting improves. He's taking guys who want to come to UK because they think they can help them in NBA--not because they are elite NBA Lottery Prospects and want to win at UK. Some of these guys wouldn't even be on UK's list if it was the same Cal/Staff who took over the program prior to the '10 season. He talks in manner of this what happens and we'll just figure it out-well he forgot the work and draining times these guys put on him along way and it's a lot more draining when you are dealing with very good to good prospects and not great. I point to '16 when Golden Boy came on board and he's protected like a sacred cow by media (usually that is a sign you leak team stuff to them) but he's done what exactly? Almost got this guy....would've gotten this guy IF.....BUT---and at some point you need to go get an elite surefire lottery talent and get it done. The guy has hurt the program with most of his signees and wasted numerous time with guys who aren't fit for UK. At some point the light needs to be shined--and it's not like media can't talk with him-he does any/every media hit possible. Just want him gone and think things will improve dramatically but realize it's heresy by some to talk in these terms of Golden Boy.

All of this is true

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
I find it odd how Cal is always compared to Nick Saban. Saban is RELENTLESS in reinventing himself, his program, moving people out who aren't as hungry as he is and obsessed with the task of going after championships. Recruiting is year around and he never lets up. Does he win every year? Of course not, but it's not from exhausting every avenue/opportunity to do so and studying the trends in the sport to stay ahead of competition. Even little things that people don't care about but matter like the "Turnover Belt" which Saban's program started--the tents on the sidelines for injured players, he started all of that. FB wise-he is innovative, creative, and demands domination. He doesn't accept winning, he demands it and wants to dominate everyone who opposes him. Someone as accomplished as him at his age (he's 68 or 69) usually softens and if anything I think he's more competitive to prove everyone wrong. All he loves/cares about is what he does. Cal has a lot of other interests and now he's at UK he doesn't have to work as hard to get good enough players to keep people happy. Good enough seasons where he can spew things that many will buy (like last year's team was going to win the NC) and just when you want to light him up-something happens to keep you buying in.

He's a great coach who is settling for being very good. He's not demanding recruiting improves. He's taking guys who want to come to UK because they think they can help them in NBA--not because they are elite NBA Lottery Prospects and want to win at UK. Some of these guys wouldn't even be on UK's list if it was the same Cal/Staff who took over the program prior to the '10 season. He talks in manner of this what happens and we'll just figure it out-well he forgot the work and draining times these guys put on him along way and it's a lot more draining when you are dealing with very good to good prospects and not great. I point to '16 when Golden Boy came on board and he's protected like a sacred cow by media (usually that is a sign you leak team stuff to them) but he's done what exactly? Almost got this guy....would've gotten this guy IF.....BUT---and at some point you need to go get an elite surefire lottery talent and get it done. The guy has hurt the program with most of his signees and wasted numerous time with guys who aren't fit for UK. At some point the light needs to be shined--and it's not like media can't talk with him-he does any/every media hit possible. Just want him gone and think things will improve dramatically but realize it's heresy by some to talk in these terms of Golden Boy.

Why don’t you come clean and tell us what’s the real reason you’re dumping on Justus?

1. I don’t think Few, Bennet, or Wright will ever leave their respective schools. They are essentially legends there.
2. I don’t know if Beard’s model of developing transfer could work at UK. He doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter.
3. Brad Underwood is overrated by Illinois fans.
4. Holtmann is not a great coach, has not been able to win many big games and gets overrated here because he’s a KY native.
5. My five realistic hires would be: Mark Pope, BYU (UK alum, built a solid program out in Provo), Travis Ford, SLU (also a UK alum, building something special in STL), Leonard Hamilton, FSU (Former UK assistant, FSU always seems to be Top 25), Scott Drew, Baylor (Built some fantastic teams at Baylor), Matt Painter, Purdue (always has Purdue in the tourney)

Wow. Talk about confused.

Why don’t you come clean and tell us what’s the real reason you’re dumping on Justus?

Laid it out pretty detailed in the post above. The guys who tend to get protected by media often are those who share inside information to help them provide content. If you do this, be really good at what you do and not be Mr. Almost....... This job is not for guys to cut their teeth at some point it's time to show you can go into any recruitment and beat people for recruits. It's a brutal industry but some are cut out for it and others talk about why they almost got it done.

Reactions: john19
Outside the box. His unoffical record is 2-0. He has been an assistant Coach for 10 years at a major University. Knows how to press and zone. Might not get this job but would think his name might come up. Anyone?

This...the Cal haters just want him gone, think these guys are options and run with it.

Brad Stevens is coaching the Celtics and has great players. He ain't leaving to come to KY.
Donovan ain't leaving the NBA to come to KY...already passed it up twice, yet our delusional fans think third time is the charm.
Jay Wright - he's winning more than Cal at a small school that fans could care less about basketball. Why would he trade that to deal with crappy fans like part of our fanbase?
Mark Few ain't leaving Gonzaga...he is Gonzaga.

Matter of time before these same fans that would go non-stop with their hatred of Pitino, will begin to rationalize a way to justify asking Pitino to come back.
i will have a party

Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.
why would he do that?

Brad Stevens would be the guy.
Few wouldn’t come, and he wouldn’t be happy or successful if he did. Frankly, he doesn’t have to work that hard at Zaga and he doesn’t want to.
Would Stevens come, maybe not, but anyone else would be a bad hire after Cal.
in the minds of recruits Cal is synonymous with UK. If Cal leaves, the cupboard will be bare, and top 20 guys aren’t going to be coming.
Ultimately, Tubby got run off because his recruiting sucked. Billy G wasn’t really better. Call’s problem is that he recruits too damn well. Maybe Cal should hire Tubby as an assistant to recruit a couple of Chuck Haye’s and Gerald Fitch’s every year.
no cal does not recruit too good he can't touch top 5 any more.
and UK got top 20 kids before cal was ever heard of

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
This...the Cal haters just want him gone, think these guys are options and run with it.

Brad Stevens is coaching the Celtics and has great players. He ain't leaving to come to KY.
Donovan ain't leaving the NBA to come to KY...already passed it up twice, yet our delusional fans think third time is the charm.
Jay Wright - he's winning more than Cal at a small school that fans could care less about basketball. Why would he trade that to deal with crappy fans like part of our fanbase?
Mark Few ain't leaving Gonzaga...he is Gonzaga.

Matter of time before these same fans that would go non-stop with their hatred of Pitino, will begin to rationalize a way to justify asking Pitino to come back.

1. Brad Stevens
2. Billy Donovan
3. Jay Wright
4. Mark Few

All of those guys probably say no...but you have odds that at least 1 will take a bite.

I don't know who #5 is....but you start at top and work your way down...and usually UK gets a bite even if it felt un-realistic.

Andy Katz’ face is the best part of that picture.
tenor.gif

Reactions: RunninRichie
I just don't believe that.

For one, other coaches would love to coach at UK. It's a dream job, a chance to say you made it to the top. They don't usually turn it down. The ones that do are looking to the pros.

Fans won't be the ones running Cal off, his horrid record will. I think when coaches see that Cal has a Joe B Hall record, gets his clock cleaned by many rivals, overvalues things outside of winning, and still gets a lifetime contract, they'll actually see it as an opportunity. This is all about how you choose to look at it.

The fans are craving it too, even if they don't realize it.

I think once again many are selling the program short and not realizing how many options we actually have.
This is just my opinion. I believe many of not most of the recruits under Cal have come here because of him anddon't care and or know little about KY. tradition.
I don't buy into the dream of playing at UK as much as I did 20-40 years ago.
So, I won't be shocked if there's a downturn in recruiting after Cal leaves.
I'd like to respectfully know who the other coaches are who'd love to coach at KY.
BCG came here because there wasn't a long list of coaches lined up for the job.
Cal bailed us out as much as Pitino bailed us out.

Reactions: Zissou87
This is just my opinion. I believe many of not most of the recruits under Cal have come here because of him anddon't care and or know little about KY. tradition.
I don't buy into the dream of playing at UK as much as I did 20-40 years ago.
So, I won't be shocked if there's a downturn in recruiting after Cal leaves.
I'd like to respectfully know who the other coaches are who'd love to coach at KY.
BCG came here because there wasn't a long list of coaches lined up for the job.
Cal bailed us out as much as Pitino bailed us out.

This.

I mean Cousins was going to Memphis no? He came to UK not because of the rich tradition but rather cause Cal was here.

It's not the same as it was in the old days.

Kids want to play for certain coaches.

This is why when Cal hangs it up, when Izzo, Self and K hang it up.........these schools could find themselves hurting more than some will like to admit.

Scott Drew or Beard is who Cals replacement should be if all things remain the same on their end and Cal leaves in the next 5 years.

I could maybe see Pope if it’s 4-5 years from now and he keeps BYU as a hot team.
I don’t understand the Scott Drew love. I think he’s a decent coach, but he’s been at Baylor 18 years and been to the Elite Eight twice

If Mitch is still AD at UK when the position needs to be filled, his #1 target will be Tony Bennett. Why? Because MB has had to basically take a hands-off approach with Cal. He wasn't a big part of the hiring process to get Cal here and I think he has had to play second fiddle since Cal was hired. That's a uncomfortable position for a AD to be in.
The other reason is that like Barnhart, Tony Bennett is a devout Christian. MB identifies with that and he knows he wouldn't have to worry about Bennett bending or breaking any rules (not that Cal has either).

You can forget Few, Wright and Brad Stevens.
Few and Wright have it made where they are and Brad Stevens is a NBA-lifer now. IMO, the list (if MB has to make the hire) is pretty much...

1. Bennett
2. Donovan
3. Beard

BTW, I don't dislike Tony Bennett. He's a fantastic coach. His offense gets trashed but, I think he's the kind of coach that would change or adapt to a system that would put more points on the board. He's trying to do that this year but, he needs some players at key positions.

Reactions: Kybluedude
If Mark Few doesn’t win it this year I wonder if the pitch”How would you like to win it all” would play. He WOULD have a better chance of doing that here, and frankly I’m not sure he will ever do it in that horrible conference he is in. He plays anybody he can pre conference and then is forced to play about 20 games a year against inferior opponents that do nothing to prepare his team for the meat grinder of the NCAA tournament. IF he really wants to win it all, and can’t do it by the time a UK job comes open, IF we open the check book enough, IF we pitch it right, who knows we might get him and he is a marvelous coach with a temperament that would blend well here, who knows, it would be my first target if I was AD trying to replace Cal.

You make 3 calls, and you won't have to go any further than that to find your next coach.

1st Call: Billy Donovan

2nd: Brad Stevens

Make them say no. You just have to.

3rd: Chris Beard.

He would crawl to Lexington for this gig. My fear is Duke, UNC, or KU will scoop him up before Cal leaves or retires, then we're stuck with someone like Holtmann.

Reactions: RunninRichie
oh hell lets have some fun and make this place go crazy BRUCE PEARL now that will liven up the place and make a few have heart attacks I can see our AD now

Take a good long hard look at Indiana because after Cal leaves (especially if the ungrateful jack^&%&^ run him off) then you're looking at YEARS of mediocrity and a parade of Creans and Sampsons.

Cal did the impossible. He made me forget Rick Pitino and I didn't think that was possible. A rude awakening is at hand and you guys better understand that. The threads in here calling for Cal's job are the DUMBEST stuff of all time and that is saying something.

Reactions: Will Bithers
Chris Beard is 98-45 in 4 years at Tech. He is 40 - 32 in the BIG12 .

18-14
27-10
31-7
18-13

These are his end of year records the last 4 years. He has never even won the Big12 tournament. If anyone is stupid enough to hire this guy to replace Cal, they deserve to be shot point blank.

Also, Few has been at Gonzaga 22 years now and has 3 elites 8's and 1 final four to show for it. That is while being a #1 seed a bunch of times. So no thanks on him too!

If these are seriously some of your guys top suggestions, UK is now a mediocre program at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trumpling
Nothing to do with basketball, it is the Trumpeteers trying to run him off because of BLM.
This could not be more correct. No matter how Cal did/does this season, the anti-Cal group was always going to look for reasons to oust him because he didn't support their political beliefs and opinions in a very heated election cycle they ultimately lost.

oh hell lets have some fun and make this place go crazy BRUCE PEARL now that will liven up the place and make a few have heart attacks I can see our AD now
In all honesty, I don't really want the guy, but if Cal left now and Donovan and Stevens said no, he is one of the better options available. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

In all honesty, I don't really want the guy, but if Cal left now and Donovan and Stevens said no, he is one of the better options available. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
There is exactly no chance on earth either Donovan or Stevens try to follow Cal and a decade of #1 recruiting classes, multiple Final Fours, and "only" 1 National Championship. Talk about shaking their heads at UK fans... the threads on here about Cal are just beyond human understanding unless a person realizes its all political.

Not one person knows who would or wouldn't come here if offered. Few would be my choice. First, the new transfer rule is about to pass. Few utilizes transfers as well as anyone. Secondly, he's starting to land highly rated players as well. He's done this all at a mid-major. His success would only increase at a Blue Blood like UK.

Not one person knows who would or wouldn't come here if offered. Few would be my choice. First, the new transfer rule is about to pass. Few utilizes transfers as well as anyone. Secondly, he's starting to land highly rated players as well. He's done this all at a mid-major. His success would only increase at a Blue Blood like UK.
He would get ran out of here in 5 years tops. His teams have solid records and get seeded well because he coaches in one of the weakest conferences in America. He has underachieved more than any coach in the country to be honest. Particularly when you consider where they are usually seeded. 1 F4 in 22 seasons and 3 total E8 appearances. You got people ready to run Cal out of town after 4 final fours, 7 E8's, a national championship and a runner-up finish all in 11 years.

Nobody on this board, or their kids, or their kids' kids, will ever see a run like Cal had at UK with all the above (4 final fours, 7 E8's, a national championship and a runner-up ) plus the avalanche of top recruiting classes and lottery picks. It boggles the mind that this could be a topic on the largest UK fan site on earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT