ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

This board for some reason is the worst at understanding the coaching situation with regard to programs like UK. I've never understood it, but most here undersell the money and status that the coaching spot at UK offers.

Cal - "I'd crawl over broken glass to get to Lexington". / 2006

I find it odd how Cal is always compared to Nick Saban. Saban is RELENTLESS in reinventing himself, his program, moving people out who aren't as hungry as he is and obsessed with the task of going after championships. Recruiting is year around and he never lets up. Does he win every year? Of course not, but it's not from exhausting every avenue/opportunity to do so and studying the trends in the sport to stay ahead of competition. Even little things that people don't care about but matter like the "Turnover Belt" which Saban's program started--the tents on the sidelines for injured players, he started all of that. FB wise-he is innovative, creative, and demands domination. He doesn't accept winning, he demands it and wants to dominate everyone who opposes him. Someone as accomplished as him at his age (he's 68 or 69) usually softens and if anything I think he's more competitive to prove everyone wrong. All he loves/cares about is what he does. Cal has a lot of other interests and now he's at UK he doesn't have to work as hard to get good enough players to keep people happy. Good enough seasons where he can spew things that many will buy (like last year's team was going to win the NC) and just when you want to light him up-something happens to keep you buying in.

He's a great coach who is settling for being very good. He's not demanding recruiting improves. He's taking guys who want to come to UK because they think they can help them in NBA--not because they are elite NBA Lottery Prospects and want to win at UK. Some of these guys wouldn't even be on UK's list if it was the same Cal/Staff who took over the program prior to the '10 season. He talks in manner of this what happens and we'll just figure it out-well he forgot the work and draining times these guys put on him along way and it's a lot more draining when you are dealing with very good to good prospects and not great. I point to '16 when Golden Boy came on board and he's protected like a sacred cow by media (usually that is a sign you leak team stuff to them) but he's done what exactly? Almost got this guy....would've gotten this guy IF.....BUT---and at some point you need to go get an elite surefire lottery talent and get it done. The guy has hurt the program with most of his signees and wasted numerous time with guys who aren't fit for UK. At some point the light needs to be shined--and it's not like media can't talk with him-he does any/every media hit possible. Just want him gone and think things will improve dramatically but realize it's heresy by some to talk in these terms of Golden Boy.

Lol, so who are these “hungry” coaches just lining up to be here? What are the resumes?

Same type of guys that Cal once was. I think Cal is fantastic and as I've said, he's not going anywhere with $ he's making, but my issue isn't him as much as staff turnover that is necessary to stay with or be ahead of times.

But to say that Kentucky won't attract elite coaching candidates with what they offer is absurd. This is the #1 job in CBB due to the fact several coaches have won National Championships and established themselves as contenders yearly. Facilities, support, fan support, etc....it's unmatched. Cal's in the time where he spoiled all of us from 2010-'15 but hit a lull a bit from '18-20-hell last year's team was 25-6 and fans were not embracing the team like you'd expect. That team wasn't getting a lot of sellouts, they weren't connected to fans and can't speak to why many felt that separation but it exists. Could it be style of play? Not sure.

But when you are a brand that offers what Kentucky does, the best of best will line up to want the job--now what they do with it and if they can handle all the scrutiny....that is entirely different story. But to think Cal would be a reason someone wouldn't want this job....disagree.

Don't ever say NEVER, as far as coaches, and that includes Donovan and Stevens. Everyone said Saban would not leave Miami to come to Alabama, but my friend, and wingman in the USAF, who graduated from Alabama, said, "Vic, Saban is coming to Alabama. We will stack the money so high he can't refuse." Well, we know the rest of the story. If we want either one we mentioned, we WILL get them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Don't ever say NEVER, as far as coaches, and that includes Donovan and Stevens. Everyone said Saban would not leave Miami to come to Alabama, but my friend, and wingman in the USAF, who graduated from Alabama, said, "Vic, Saban is coming to Alabama. We will stack the money so high he can't refuse." Well, we know the rest of the story. If we want either one we mentioned, we WILL get them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Well, if they had signed Drew Brees instead of trading for Daunte Culpepper he might still be the coach of the Dolphins.

Same type of guys that Cal once was. I think Cal is fantastic and as I've said, he's not going anywhere with $ he's making, but my issue isn't him as much as staff turnover that is necessary to stay with or be ahead of times.

But to say that Kentucky won't attract elite coaching candidates with what they offer is absurd. This is the #1 job in CBB due to the fact several coaches have won National Championships and established themselves as contenders yearly. Facilities, support, fan support, etc....it's unmatched. Cal's in the time where he spoiled all of us from 2010-'15 but hit a lull a bit from '18-20-hell last year's team was 25-6 and fans were not embracing the team like you'd expect. That team wasn't getting a lot of sellouts, they weren't connected to fans and can't speak to why many felt that separation but it exists. Could it be style of play? Not sure.

But when you are a brand that offers what Kentucky does, the best of best will line up to want the job--now what they do with it and if they can handle all the scrutiny....that is entirely different story. But to think Cal would be a reason someone wouldn't want this job....disagree.
But, like, who specifically can you name now? Someone that is a big name, big recruiter and likely has success early enough to build the fan support necessary to last here? The only names I come up with aren’t very realistic options. If Chris Beard, Mark Pope, Mark Few are seriously the best name we have right now, it’s not promising at this point.

I think Cal is getting tired and bored. I would say 2 -3 years here is all we should expect.

We didn’t attract big names in 2007, and it sure didn’t appear there was a lot of interest until Cal in 2009. Our fans expectations have only grown and patience has decreased. Not many people are cut out for this level and the ones who are realize they can build similar at other programs with less stress. It’s similar to top recruits opting for smaller programs knowing they will still get drafted high. Things just aren’t what they used to be.

Decline in attendance is happening everywhere, as is overall fan involvement and interest. We are still very high comparatively. It’s only going to continue to decline. Younger generations just don’t have the interest as much in sports.

It wouldn’t be Cal specifically as the reason, but rather the expectations he has built. Not many are able or willing to live up to that. Let me know when you find someone who is.

We already had a bad experience with one drunk don’t need another.
Wait, you mean you wouldn’t want to see this going batsh*t crazy in Rupp? 😂😂😂

Screen_Shot_2017_03_19_at_4.38.10_PM.0.png

I wonder why were even talking about this. Cal isn't going anywhere after this year, and he shouldn't. I've probably been as hard as anyone on here about him, but I'm not interested in seeing him gone? Absolutely not! I would like to see him NOT rely fully on the "Dribble Drive." I did see a "Give and GO," last night, and it was beautiful. We had 8 assists, and 15 TOs. Your not going to win many games playing like that. We may have shooters on our team, but they haven't showed it. Until we can hit from the outside, the DD is not going to work. I don't think our players ever heard of teamwork. I guarantee they didn't play it in AAU. Their attitude seems to be, "Give me the ball and let me show you what I can do. I need to impress the NBA so I can get the big contract." National Champion, what's that?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

You’re delusional if you think Brad Stevens or Donovan would come here. Same goes for Jay Wright.
Donovan is possible, but it’s all about timing. We need him to not have success in Chicago and Cal to retire in about 3 years. He would be a great fit here.

I dunno he lead us on twice. Then said no. It was like a punch to the belly. I say hard pass.
He knew he wanted to coach in the NBA first. I can respect that. At least he didn’t come coach us a few years then bounce for the league. Now he can get that out of his system and come coach us until he retires.

But, like, who specifically can you name now? Someone that is a big name, big recruiter and likely has success early enough to build the fan support necessary to last here? The only names I come up with aren’t very realistic options. If Chris Beard, Mark Pope, Mark Few are seriously the best name we have right now, it’s not promising at this point.

I think Cal is getting tired and bored. I would say 2 -3 years here is all we should expect.

We didn’t attract big names in 2007, and it sure didn’t appear there was a lot of interest until Cal in 2009. Our fans expectations have only grown and patience has decreased. Not many people are cut out for this level and the ones who are realize they can build similar at other programs with less stress. It’s similar to top recruits opting for smaller programs knowing they will still get drafted high. Things just aren’t what they used to be.

Decline in attendance is happening everywhere, as is overall fan involvement and interest. We are still very high comparatively. It’s only going to continue to decline. Younger generations just don’t have the interest as much in sports.

It wouldn’t be Cal specifically as the reason, but rather the expectations he has built. Not many are able or willing to live up to that. Let me know when you find someone who is.

What are his expectations? Is it to get one year players to the NBA? Is it to get the most players to the NBA? Is it to make them and their families rich? Is it to be the highest paid coach in college basketball? Is it to get his players at the end of the year on TV, and say, "Whose is passing up next year to go to the NBA." I guess the expectation I, and a lot of other fans want, is to Hang another National Championship Banner. I really don't give a $hit about any of the other. Cal is paid a lot of money by UK, to WIN, not the NBA, to get players for them.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.

The Cal haters don't have a plan, they just want him gone. CDS is VERY real. (Cal derangement syndrome).

Blue man bad.

I honestly think now with internet, social media and among other things I don’t see how Cal has lasted this long. 12-15 years is a long time to be the Coach here at Kentucky or any other program that wants to win. With that said I grew up like many on this board to bleed blue and I love my Cats beyond and above. I love the fire Coach Cal brought to the program in so many ways, but to say Coach Cal has done the job he was hired to do he has not. Coach Cal underachieved.

Last edited:
I'd throw the cash at Beard. He'd say yes, and we'd probably be better off for the future, and enjoy basketball for more than a few hours in March,

It's not hard.

Other than that, try Few, and do some research and make some calls. See who fits.

I really hate to break this to some of you, but Cal is trending down. He's getting older, he doesn't win as much, and he admittedly has priorities outside of Kentucky. He is replaceable.

I don't have the answer to should he be replaced right now, but it's getting closer. Personally, I'd be careful but I'd be gearing up over the next 18 months to see where everything stands.
Cal also said 10 years when he came. It’s been 12 and his frustrations w the fan base are showing w more snarky comments instead of playful jabs.

I honestly think he’s only hung on this long because he wanted a s done title and expected the ball to bounce right eventually. But as the landscape is changing in college basketball and amateurism, I expect him to leave in the next 3 years for the league or retire.

I don't Cal to leave. I just want him to adapt.
Exactly.I've seen very few people here who want him fired but more who simply want him to update his style of play .I don't think that is asking too much as all the best coaches in every sport adapt to changes in the game.

Reactions: UK19 and Nbacats
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT