ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

I think after reading this board over the last 24 hours that the greatest negative about Cal is that UK basketball winning championships is at best, his second priority. First and foremost is putting people in the NBA, I would then argue philanthropy and social justice causes, and then UK basketball winning championships. He is a hall of famer, he can recruit. You are not going to find any better, BUT, I want UK basketball winning championships with a mixture of one and done, sophomores, juniors, and seniors as top priority.

Based on those names thrown out, I think Holtman and Donovan understand UK Basketball and how important it is to them. Holtman grew up in Jessamine County. He grew up a Kentucky basketball fan. His parents are UK fans. He understands that winning championships not putting guys into the NBA is job #1. Billy coached here. One of his children was born in Lexington. He coached at Florida. He knows what UK winning championships is all about.

I always liked Mark Pope, but, even though he gets it, I don't know if he would not be overwhelmed at this point in his career. If he was knocking on the door as Gonzaga's competitor in the WCC and advancing in the NCAA at BYU, I'd give him consideration.

A Jay Wright would never consider UK. It is not that he doesn't like or respect the program, but he is an east coast Philadelphia guy. Culturally, I can't imagine him ever being totally locked into the genteel bluegrass and the SEC.

Few for the same reasons of being culturally locked into the Pacific Northwest.

Huggins...he is a WVU guy and has done a great job there.

Donovan has turned down already. Twice. I suppose you think we could get Wooden, Iba and Auerbach too.....

I don't know about your mojo, but have you ever heard that the third time is a charm. Donovan would come in a New York minute. Pitno prevented him from coming the other time.

OLD STOLL FELD GUY!

Now that is a much more reasonable statement.

I would say any coach that passes on the job because of the fan base isn't suited for this program anyway. But that's just me.
Lute Olsen, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan. Three Hall of Famers who passed on the job, and at least according to reports at the time, the expectations of the fan base played a role in that. If a Hall of Famer is going to pass because of that scrutiny, what chance does someone from the other 99% have. The point is, it's an incredibly difficult job - yet some can't or won't see it.

Reactions: Nbacats
Scott Drew or Beard is who Cals replacement should be if all things remain the same on their end and Cal leaves in the next 5 years.

I could maybe see Pope if it’s 4-5 years from now and he keeps BYU as a hot team.

I don't believe this is true at all unless Cal truly leaves on a high note. At this trajectory I don't believe another could would in the least be intimidated by Cal's results at UK. What may make them hesitant is the way in which Cal is an ideal ambassador. He does know how to handle the demands of the job. Maybe a Few or Wright or Bennett wouldn't see UK as a wonderful opportunity or feel as though they need UK to compete for a title. But guys like Chris Beard, Chris Holtman certainly would. And who knows about a guy like Billy Donovan or another NBA coach or former coach? The last thing any program wants to do is avoid change out of fear.

• Haha
Reactions: Will Bithers
Few and Bennett probably aren't realistic either, especially Few. Think those two are Gonzaga and Virginia lifers.

This is a silly, arbitrary topic because we currently have a Hall of Fame coach that has no immediate plans to leave (thankfully)

But I'll play along...

Kentucky fans don't like defense. Bennett is realistic but would get ran out of town here. Without one and done you have rebuilding years, and those rebuilding years + the emphasis on pack-line defense would spell doom for him.

Few is a Gonzaga lifer, agreed there.

Jay Wright would be my first target, but he has two titles and a legacy at Nova. He would listen but I think it would be unlikely that he leaves.

Assuming he is a no, I think the next target would be Chris Beard.

My calling order:
1. Jay Wright (unlikely)
2. Chris Beard
3. Eric Musselman
4. Thad Matta (if he would get back into coaching)
5. Chris Holtmann

Reactions: Zissou87
Lute Olsen, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan. Three Hall of Famers who passed on the job, and at least according to reports at the time, the expectations of the fan base played a role in that. If a Hall of Famer is going to pass because of that scrutiny, what chance does someone from the other 99% have. The point is, it's an incredibly difficult job - yet some can't or won't see it.
When did anyone say that absolutely no one would pass on the job? No job opening in any field can say that.

Is the job difficult? I'm sure. And he's paid accordingly. The UK job also cemented Cal's place in basketball history.

Can you see any of that or don't want to?

Forgot about Drew...he’s certainly worth a look. He’s built Baylor into a pretty formidable program.
They are always fun to watch. He had essentially a F4 team last season (they went from November to late February without a loss, longest time spent at #1 since 2015 UK) and they look to be better this season and will be in a title hunt come end of year.....at Baylor of all places.

Some think he’s dirty but the same as said about Cal. If anything has been in the grey area, it’s easier to avoid at UK bc of our resources.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
1. I don’t think Few, Bennet, or Wright will ever leave their respective schools. They are essentially legends there.
2. I don’t know if Beard’s model of developing transfer could work at UK. He doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter.
3. Brad Underwood is overrated by Illinois fans.
4. Holtmann is not a great coach, has not been able to win many big games and gets overrated here because he’s a KY native.
5. My five realistic hires would be: Mark Pope, BYU (UK alum, built a solid program out in Provo), Travis Ford, SLU (also a UK alum, building something special in STL), Leonard Hamilton, FSU (Former UK assistant, FSU always seems to be Top 25), Scott Drew, Baylor (Built some fantastic teams at Baylor), Matt Painter, Purdue (always has Purdue in the tourney)

Reactions: Nbacats
Look at it this way: how would you feel if Cal was coaching at another school? That would be weird. Not sure how I would feel. It might depend on where he went.

With Pitino going to UofL I wanted him flogged. With Tubby I couldn't have cared less what he did.

This thread speaks for itself. Many times UK fans think, we're UK - which means 1) we can get whomever we want and 2) whomever we get is going to win a title and do great most years. Even though we know 1) isn't always true (Oleson, Wright, Donovan, etc) and we know 2) isn't always true (Clyde).

You're tiring of the aspects of Calipari's "way" that wear folks out - constant roster turnover, always being young so we struggle early, offensive struggles, etc. So you want to trade that in for a different model. And we're talking about Travis Ford or Mark Pope. This is like being married to Margot Robbie, deciding her accent drives you up the wall, and leaving her for Winona Ryder.

Few
Beard
Bennett
Brad Underwood
Jay Wright( not sure if realistic)
Few is not leaving Gonzaga...

Now, think about this: Those listed are probably the best available. Now, with that being said....

Are ya still upset with the Cal era?

When Cal leaves, his replacement will be a short term coach. No one is going to want to follow Cal. Particularly not if fans run Cal off.

Cal won’t let anyone run him off. Trump would shake hands with Biden and congratulate him before Cal would get run off. If you like Cal you’re all set..... if you don’t then you’re sol.

None of those are technically “available”.
Its why I said, "probably". Anyways---point is, those listed are the most probable to be available...And none of them are close to Cal. And that is a damn good list of some really good coaches.

Its why I said, "probably". Anyways---point is, those listed are the most probable to be available...And none of them are close to Cal. And that is a damn good list of some really good coaches.
Lol there’s no probably there’s no gray area. Recruiters probably not, in game Xs and Os coaches, a few of them are wayyyy better.

Lol there’s no probably there’s no gray area. Recruiters probably not, in game Xs and Os coaches, a few of them are wayyyy better.
Meh....I mean if those guys---or others are WAAAAY better, then why haven't none of them been to 7 Elite 8's, in 10 seasons?

I agree some might be better---But none of them are on that list you provided.

Meh....I mean if those guys---or others are WAAAAY better, then why haven't none of them been to 7 Elite 8's, in 10 seasons?

I agree some might be better---But none of them are on that list you provided.
Less resources and considerably less talent? The only one close in talent has been Wright and he only has 2 titles. Few built a mid major to perennial powerhouse. The others I will grant you are “up and comers” I guess you could say.

Reactions: PsychoticGerbil
Less resources and considerably less talent? The only one close in talent has been Wright and he only has 2 titles. Few built a mid major to perennial powerhouse. The others I will grant you are “up and comers” I guess you could say.
Roy Williams, Self and K have less resources? None of them have went to 7 Elite 8's in 10 years; K did early in his career. I know those were not the names listed. BUT---that further proves/shows how impresive it is what Cal has done.

Jay Wright is wonderful...But are you aware he has only been past the SW 16, SIX times in 19 years at Nova?

I love Few. And as of now, they have the longest current consecutive SW 16 trips, at 5. BUT, even with some of the great teams he has had----still nothing close to the run of Calipari.

Beard is solid...Recruiting though not so much.

Underwood MIGHT be the best option...Tough as nails...recruits well. His style is fun.

Here is the issue: Kentucky doesn't recruit itself as it once did. No school does. With that being said, another coach is gonna be just that---Another coach.

I don’t think cal is a bad X’s and O’s Guy. Would be nice to see what he could do with a roster that was talented AND had the continuity that the other top programs are benefiting from.

It’s his doing though. He created this monster.

1. I don’t think Few, Bennet, or Wright will ever leave their respective schools. They are essentially legends there.
2. I don’t know if Beard’s model of developing transfer could work at UK. He doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter.
3. Brad Underwood is overrated by Illinois fans.
4. Holtmann is not a great coach, has not been able to win many big games and gets overrated here because he’s a KY native.
5. My five realistic hires would be: Mark Pope, BYU (UK alum, built a solid program out in Provo), Travis Ford, SLU (also a UK alum, building something special in STL), Leonard Hamilton, FSU (Former UK assistant, FSU always seems to be Top 25), Scott Drew, Baylor (Built some fantastic teams at Baylor), Matt Painter, Purdue (always has Purdue in the tourney)
DOGGONE

Chris Holtman. Look, there isn’t anyone out there that’s guaranteed to do even AS good as Cal let alone better. With that given, I wouldn’t mind giving the Nicholasville native a few years to prove himself. Our ceiling under Cal right now is 30 wins and an E8. That’s solid as hell but as the top program in the sport you expect your ceiling to be a national title. holtman has done solid at Ohio state. Maybe he does better at a better program. If he were to succeed here he’d be less likely to leave for the nba. I doubt he does much worse than Cal at the very least.

HIllarious. Didn't he lose 10 games in a row last year? You want him here? lmao. You think this board is bad now, let him come here and lose 10 in a row. They'll run him out of town.

I'll never understand the obsession with former players/assistant coaches/locals becoming the next head coach. Just because someone "understands the meaning of UK basketball" doesn't mean anything if they don't have the qualified resume.

Huggins...he is a WVU guy and has done a great job there.

Huggins is a ship that sailed many moons ago. They wouldn't have touched Huggins with a 10 foot pole when he lost the Cincy job with the DUI business. The time to go after him would have been after Gillispie was fired, but Huggins likely had his heart set on going back to Morgantown. He wouldn't come to UK now.

He knew he wanted to coach in the NBA first. I can respect that. At least he didn’t come coach us a few years then bounce for the league. Now he can get that out of his system and come coach us until he retires.
He'll be getting a little long in the tooth by the time cal hangs it up. (or gets hung up; whichever comes first)

HIllarious. Didn't he lose 10 games in a row last year? You want him here? lmao. You think this board is bad now, let him come here and lose 10 in a row. They'll run him out of town.

Yeah that didn’t happen. You must be thinking of someone else?

I'll never understand the obsession with former players/assistant coaches/locals becoming the next head coach. Just because someone "understands the meaning of UK basketball" doesn't mean anything if they don't have the qualified resume.

Because we don’t have to worry about them leaving us much if they become successful here.

Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.
There is nothing “realistic” about the premise of your thread.

UK is obligated to pay Cal around $10 million per year on a contract that runs through 2029. People don’t walk away from 70 million plus dollars.

There is ZERO chance Cal is retiring any time soon, at least not until he’s collected the lion’s share of that money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT