ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

You’re delusional if you think Brad Stevens or Donovan would come here. Same goes for Jay Wright.

This...the Cal haters just want him gone, think these guys are options and run with it.

Brad Stevens is coaching the Celtics and has great players. He ain't leaving to come to KY.
Donovan ain't leaving the NBA to come to KY...already passed it up twice, yet our delusional fans think third time is the charm.
Jay Wright - he's winning more than Cal at a small school that fans could care less about basketball. Why would he trade that to deal with crappy fans like part of our fanbase?
Mark Few ain't leaving Gonzaga...he is Gonzaga.

Matter of time before these same fans that would go non-stop with their hatred of Pitino, will begin to rationalize a way to justify asking Pitino to come back.

Reactions: jace2012 and Blueaz
Do some of you realize how many people said Calipari had it MADE at Memphis and would never leave M-town for Kentucky because he doesn't "have to"?

Actually, the VAST majority of personalities and fans thought we had no shot once he pulled his 2009 recruiting class to UM.

Coaches make changes. Coaches want different. Coaches want Kentucky.

You all have absolutely no f'n idea what Stevens, or Donovan, or Few would do. You don't know them and some of you sure as sht can't judge a situation worth a damn.

Not directed at everyone.

Brad Stevens would be the guy.
Few wouldn’t come, and he wouldn’t be happy or successful if he did. Frankly, he doesn’t have to work that hard at Zaga and he doesn’t want to.
Would Stevens come, maybe not, but anyone else would be a bad hire after Cal.
in the minds of recruits Cal is synonymous with UK. If Cal leaves, the cupboard will be bare, and top 20 guys aren’t going to be coming.
Ultimately, Tubby got run off because his recruiting sucked. Billy G wasn’t really better. Call’s problem is that he recruits too damn well. Maybe Cal should hire Tubby as an assistant to recruit a couple of Chuck Haye’s and Gerald Fitch’s every year.

I just don't believe that.

For one, other coaches would love to coach at UK. It's a dream job, a chance to say you made it to the top. They don't usually turn it down. The ones that do are looking to the pros.

Fans won't be the ones running Cal off, his horrid record will. I think when coaches see that Cal has a Joe B Hall record, gets his clock cleaned by many rivals, overvalues things outside of winning, and still gets a lifetime contract, they'll actually see it as an opportunity. This is all about how you choose to look at it.

The fans are craving it too, even if they don't realize it.

I think once again many are selling the program short and not realizing how many options we actually have.
Horrid record of most wins, most tournament wins, multiple conference championships, conference tournament championships, multiple final fours, and a national title since he took the job? Come on, man

Horrid record of most wins, most tournament wins, multiple conference championships, conference tournament championships, multiple final fours, and a national title since he took the job? Come on, man

I completely agree Cal was fantastic and a necessary hire. I wanted him badly.

All of those things you cite are gone. He is no longer any of that, and if you go by his back 5 only, it's pretty bad. He keeps losing this year alone and he'll host a losing record to the top 25 by years end. Probably won't happen, but within 24 months it is actually, maybe, likely to happen at this rate.

I just don't think it's okay.

• Haha
Reactions: Will Bithers
I completely agree Cal was fantastic and a necessary hire. I wanted him badly.

All of those things you cite are gone. He is no longer any of that, and if you go by his back 5 only, it's pretty bad. He keeps losing this year alone and he'll host a losing record to the top 25 by years end. Probably won't happen, but within 24 months it is actually, maybe, likely to happen at this rate.

I just don't think it's okay.

I don't disagree that adjustments need to be made. I do think we would have to have a couple of seasons even worse than the last couple before any real pressure would be on. We've still been winning 25ish games and making decent runs in the tournament. I think it would take a 20 win season or a couple of early flame outs in the tourney before the majority started getting restless. And I think it's probably fair to say that he's bought himself some time to figure it out. Our "down" years are years that every program outside of us, Duke, UNC, and Kansas are thrilled with

I don't disagree that adjustments need to be made. I do think we would have to have a couple of seasons even worse than the last couple before any real pressure would be on. We've still been winning 25ish games and making decent runs in the tournament. I think it would take a 20 win season or a couple of early flame outs in the tourney before the majority started getting restless. And I think it's probably fair to say that he's bought himself some time to figure it out. Our "down" years are years that every program outside of us, Duke, UNC, and Kansas are thrilled with

Cal is never going to make adjustments.

Guys, it's year 11. Come on.

I think Cal has bought himself some time too. If it were me I'd be applying pressure, but in reality he's bought time.

But if we see more of the same through this season and next season, I just couldn't imagine people being okay with this.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think Cal has bought himself some time too. If it were me I'd be applying pressure, but in reality he's bought time.

But if we see more of the same through this season and next season, I just couldn't imagine people being okay with this.
I don't think he could go through a season like UNC had last year without the pitchforks coming out, so I still don't think he's invincible.

And you're right about his stubbornness probably limiting adjustments. I'm not asking for a complete overhaul of how the program is run. I just want him to stop watching the mid 90s Knicks and Heat playoff games for offensive inspiration.

I don't think he could go through a season like UNC had last year without the pitchforks coming out, so I still don't think he's invincible.

And you're right about his stubbornness probably limiting adjustments. I'm not asking for a complete overhaul of how the program is run. I just want him to stop watching the mid 90s Knicks and Heat playoff games for offensive inspiration.

Also, give me a minute. I really, really can't handle losing 4 of 5 to Kansas. I would seriously fire Cal right now on that alone.

Cal is never going to make adjustments.

Guys, it's year 11. Come on.
I don’t know what people mean by adjustments but he needs to put together better rosters. As I said earlier, if you see him reaching in order to find a guy who will play major minutes, we are in trouble.

Reactions: morgousky
Also, give me a minute. I really, really can't handle losing 4 of 5 to Kansas. I would seriously fire Cal right now on that alone.
That’s fair lol. I hate Kansas more than anyone not named Duke

Lol, the coach at Loyola Chicago meets that requirement. Let’s just hire him and the old nun too! 😂

Beard barely has a winning conference record in the big 12. He’s had 1 good season and you are ready to give him the most demanding job in college basketball? He is nothing more than Billy G 2.0 at this point.

Beard also lost to Cal. At home. In the biggest game in their regular season history. As a 3.5 point favorite.

Beard also lost to Cal. At home. In the biggest game in their regular season history. As a 3.5 point favorite.

Again, doesn't make sense mega. Cal was beaten by Walter McCarty. And as UK fans have explained, it was a regular season game. Didn't mean anything. In MARCH, what Cal and Cal fans say matters, he went further.

Seriously though, it really doesn't matter. He's at TT. He can't recruit there the way he could here, and he still has been more impressive. That game doesn't mean anymore than Richmond did last week. It's an attempt to land one that really doesn't make sense.

Beard might be the best young coach in America. He's been exceptionally impressive at TT. Anyone denying that doesn't understand college basketball at all.

Dont think like a quitter and a loser. CM Newton went after Knicks Coach Pitino even though people said there was no chance. He went back with more money 3 times before there was a yes.

even if it takes 12 million or so a year, you go after Donovan, Stevens, Vogul, it would be hard for Few to turn down 10 million a year.. and you ask them many times increasing money.

Hell some of you wouldnt even try. if you just go straight for tier C and settle......... UK is doomed anyways with that attitude.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I find it odd how Cal is always compared to Nick Saban. Saban is RELENTLESS in reinventing himself, his program, moving people out who aren't as hungry as he is and obsessed with the task of going after championships. Recruiting is year around and he never lets up. Does he win every year? Of course not, but it's not from exhausting every avenue/opportunity to do so and studying the trends in the sport to stay ahead of competition. Even little things that people don't care about but matter like the "Turnover Belt" which Saban's program started--the tents on the sidelines for injured players, he started all of that. FB wise-he is innovative, creative, and demands domination. He doesn't accept winning, he demands it and wants to dominate everyone who opposes him. Someone as accomplished as him at his age (he's 68 or 69) usually softens and if anything I think he's more competitive to prove everyone wrong. All he loves/cares about is what he does. Cal has a lot of other interests and now he's at UK he doesn't have to work as hard to get good enough players to keep people happy. Good enough seasons where he can spew things that many will buy (like last year's team was going to win the NC) and just when you want to light him up-something happens to keep you buying in.

He's a great coach who is settling for being very good. He's not demanding recruiting improves. He's taking guys who want to come to UK because they think they can help them in NBA--not because they are elite NBA Lottery Prospects and want to win at UK. Some of these guys wouldn't even be on UK's list if it was the same Cal/Staff who took over the program prior to the '10 season. He talks in manner of this what happens and we'll just figure it out-well he forgot the work and draining times these guys put on him along way and it's a lot more draining when you are dealing with very good to good prospects and not great. I point to '16 when Golden Boy came on board and he's protected like a sacred cow by media (usually that is a sign you leak team stuff to them) but he's done what exactly? Almost got this guy....would've gotten this guy IF.....BUT---and at some point you need to go get an elite surefire lottery talent and get it done. The guy has hurt the program with most of his signees and wasted numerous time with guys who aren't fit for UK. At some point the light needs to be shined--and it's not like media can't talk with him-he does any/every media hit possible. Just want him gone and think things will improve dramatically but realize it's heresy by some to talk in these terms of Golden Boy.
i’d be ok with a Justice for Antigua trade. Orlando was the major differential between 2010-15 to now. Talk about a ace talent evaluator. You see what hes doing at illinois.

Who TF would want to coach for our unappreciative fan base?

A lot of coaches. In fact, most of them. People said this same thing when tubby left.

I guarantee there are way more coaches thinking to themselves “man I would be great with all the resources of Kentucky basketball” than there are thinking “I’d sure hate to coach for that fan base”.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Chris Beard

Tony Bennett(I’m not sure if this is realistic. Once a coach has won a title somewhere Ive always assumed they’re less likely to leave for another college job but Bennet has no other reasons to be loyal to Virginia over a more prestigious job) I know people hate his style but he wins.

Chris Holtman. Look, there isn’t anyone out there that’s guaranteed to do even AS good as Cal let alone better. With that given, I wouldn’t mind giving the Nicholasville native a few years to prove himself. Our ceiling under Cal right now is 30 wins and an E8. That’s solid as hell but as the top program in the sport you expect your ceiling to be a national title. holtman has done solid at Ohio state. Maybe he does better at a better program. If he were to succeed here he’d be less likely to leave for the nba. I doubt he does much worse than Cal at the very least.

Billy Donovan. I read your initial post. And I agree it’s unlikely he’s coming back to college basketball. But you gotta try. He’s only 55 years old. He had a hall of fame career at Florida. And he has ties to Kentucky. He’d be 100% the best hire you can make. He’s proven he can recruit. He’s proven he can win. The ncaa loves him. The media loves him. Kentucky fans love him.

Mark Pope. Again, you’re moving on from Calipari, not because he was bad. But because his ceiling wasn’t what you want it to be. Since there’s not a sure thing out there you gotta take a chance. Might as well take a chance on one of your own.

excellent list . I think Holtman is good . Beard is a possibility . Our job comes open who knows might want away from the egos of the NBA players and actually want to coach a little .

You highly underestimate the ability that $ matters and in this industry what UK brings to hungry coaches who want to see what life is like in the high stakes room instead of playing nickel slots. I'm not a guy who wants Cal to go either--but I do want more changes to his Assistants starting with the removal of Golden Boy (Justus). Want to see him hungry and relentless again. The guy who took this job.....that is the guy that most of Cal's loyal friends recognize and he did what he said he'd do. The guy lately is doing what most do as they age...soften up and talk in "big picture" perspective. Sports is not kind to those who get soft.....you better find guys who are hard and hungry when you get fat and happy because the recruiting at the level UK is involved eats up the people who aren't willing to get into the mud and fight.

DOBA .... dead on balls accurate .

He knew he wanted to coach in the NBA first. I can respect that. At least he didn’t come coach us a few years then bounce for the league. Now he can get that out of his system and come coach us until he retires.
Maybe. I think I'd go for a younger guy.

Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.

AW Hamilton

No really I’d say:

Donovan
Beard
Holtman
Mussleman
Pearl

I’d personally take any of these over Calipari any day. I’m sorry if it makes some of you upset but they would build their program with UK>NBAin mind.

• Haha
You're absolutely correct. 10 million a year and zero chance of losing your job? Please no!!!!!!!
Why would any coach even give us a look?

Seems to me that plenty of people told us no the last time we searched and we had to settle for Billy G.

Seems to me that plenty of people told us no the last time we searched and we had to settle for Billy G.
You answered your own question: Billy G, Cal just to name two.

Cal has it made and let's don't be silly and think he doesn't. He has zero pressure from UK administration. All he has to do is ignore social media and these message boards where lifelong fans come to vent and speculate on their beloved program. I'll go out on a limb and say there's plenty of people on this board who face more daily pressure in their careers than Cal. And they don't even make a fraction of the money. If you want an example try being an EMT. Making 10 bucks an hour and working 24-36 hours straight. With lives on the line. Lives. Not basketball.

I know we all have our opinions and we want to make our point. That's just crazy saying a basketball coach has it so tough.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
You answered your own question: Billy G, Cal just to name two.

Cal has it made and let's don't be silly and think he doesn't. He has zero pressure from UK administration. All he has to do is ignore social media and these message boards where lifelong fans come to vent and speculate on their beloved program. I'll go out on a limb and say there's plenty of people on this board who face more daily pressure in their careers than Cal. And they don't even make a fraction of the money. If you want an example try being an EMT. Making 10 bucks an hour and working 24-36 hours straight. With lives on the line. Lives. Not basketball.

I know we all have our opinions and we want to make our point. That's just crazy saying a basketball coach has it so tough.

I am not saying Cal has it tough. I am saying that we all want to feel appreciated, and I think after what Cal has done here in his entire tenure deserves more than what our fans are showing. I get wanting him to change, but the personal attacks, the calling for him to be replaced, etc. is enough for many coaches to not consider us. Compared to other jobs, the pressure is not the same. I agree. However, the pressure to win, and win big, is more at UK than any other school out there.

I am not saying Cal has it tough. I am saying that we all want to feel appreciated, and I think after what Cal has done here in his entire tenure deserves more than what our fans are showing. I get wanting him to change, but the personal attacks, the calling for him to be replaced, etc. is enough for many coaches to not consider us. Compared to other jobs, the pressure is not the same. I agree. However, the pressure to win, and win big, is more at UK than any other school out there.
Now that is a much more reasonable statement.

I would say any coach that passes on the job because of the fan base isn't suited for this program anyway. But that's just me.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Now that is a much more reasonable statement.

I would say any coach that passes on the job because of the fan base isn't suited for this program anyway. But that's just me.

You are probably right. I honestly think that is why Donovan turned us down, twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT