ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

Nbacats

Sophomore
Dec 1, 2020
Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.

• Sad
Reactions: awf
Beard I think Donovan would be in play even though you think not. Jay Wright at least make a run at him. Brad stevens could be a possibility, Mark pope get rid of Barney and maybe Bruce pearl. There are lots of possibilities

Let's say something happens with Calipari and he retires at the end of this season, what would be your realistic top five for whom to offer the job to? And I do mean realistic, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for Kentucky, for example. I'd like to see realistic discussion, not dream scenarios.

Tom Crean
Richard William pitino

These coaches would really excite the fan base! Lol

Calipari is a great coach. UK has best program of all time. Quit being babies

Tom Crean
Richard William pitino

These coaches would really excite the fan base! Lol

Calipari is a great coach. UK has best program of all time. Quit being babies

I'm not wanting him to be fired. Shit happens sometimes. See Matthew Mitchell and the women's basketball team.

How about you start reading first before insulting people?

We’ve gone after Donovan twice. If he didn’t want to follow Tubby, why would he want to follow the coach of the decade? We’ve gone after Wright, he said no. Few said no to his own alma mater and has repeatedly said he’s not leaving Spokane.

Much like conversations comparing players and focusing exclusively on the offensive end of the court, these hypotheticals only consider half of the job. Surely we know by now it takes more than a great coach to succeed at Kentucky. Yeah, you have to be a great coach. You also have to have the personality. You have to be willing to live with the crazy expectations (to wit, Calipari last year was picked the coach of the decade by The Sporting News, and some people say it’s not enough). You have to be willing to live with the scrutiny. You have to be willing to live in the fishbowl. You going to the grocery? Be ready for autograph and pic requests in the checkout line. It’s not enough for someone to say “for that job, I’ll put up with all of that”. That kind of person gets cannibalized. You need someone who wants all that, thrives in it. The only coach I’d describe that way off the cuff is Bruce Pearl, and I can’t imagine too many want him.

Last edited:
I'd throw the cash at Beard. He'd say yes, and we'd probably be better off for the future, and enjoy basketball for more than a few hours in March,

It's not hard.

Other than that, try Few, and do some research and make some calls. See who fits.

I really hate to break this to some of you, but Cal is trending down. He's getting older, he doesn't win as much, and he admittedly has priorities outside of Kentucky. He is replaceable.

I don't have the answer to should he be replaced right now, but it's getting closer. Personally, I'd be careful but I'd be gearing up over the next 18 months to see where everything stands.

Chris Beard

Tony Bennett(I’m not sure if this is realistic. Once a coach has won a title somewhere Ive always assumed they’re less likely to leave for another college job but Bennet has no other reasons to be loyal to Virginia over a more prestigious job) I know people hate his style but he wins.

Chris Holtman. Look, there isn’t anyone out there that’s guaranteed to do even AS good as Cal let alone better. With that given, I wouldn’t mind giving the Nicholasville native a few years to prove himself. Our ceiling under Cal right now is 30 wins and an E8. That’s solid as hell but as the top program in the sport you expect your ceiling to be a national title. holtman has done solid at Ohio state. Maybe he does better at a better program. If he were to succeed here he’d be less likely to leave for the nba. I doubt he does much worse than Cal at the very least.

Billy Donovan. I read your initial post. And I agree it’s unlikely he’s coming back to college basketball. But you gotta try. He’s only 55 years old. He had a hall of fame career at Florida. And he has ties to Kentucky. He’d be 100% the best hire you can make. He’s proven he can recruit. He’s proven he can win. The ncaa loves him. The media loves him. Kentucky fans love him.

Mark Pope. Again, you’re moving on from Calipari, not because he was bad. But because his ceiling wasn’t what you want it to be. Since there’s not a sure thing out there you gotta take a chance. Might as well take a chance on one of your own.

Yep.

If the minority portion of BBN braying donkeys run Cal off the new guy has to win a title in year 2-3 or he’s toast.

I just don't believe that.

For one, other coaches would love to coach at UK. It's a dream job, a chance to say you made it to the top. They don't usually turn it down. The ones that do are looking to the pros.

Fans won't be the ones running Cal off, his horrid record will. I think when coaches see that Cal has a Joe B Hall record, gets his clock cleaned by many rivals, overvalues things outside of winning, and still gets a lifetime contract, they'll actually see it as an opportunity. This is all about how you choose to look at it.

The fans are craving it too, even if they don't realize it.

I think once again many are selling the program short and not realizing how many options we actually have.

When Cal leaves, his replacement will be a short term coach. No one is going to want to follow Cal. Particularly not if fans run Cal off.

You highly underestimate the ability that $ matters and in this industry what UK brings to hungry coaches who want to see what life is like in the high stakes room instead of playing nickel slots. I'm not a guy who wants Cal to go either--but I do want more changes to his Assistants starting with the removal of Golden Boy (Justus). Want to see him hungry and relentless again. The guy who took this job.....that is the guy that most of Cal's loyal friends recognize and he did what he said he'd do. The guy lately is doing what most do as they age...soften up and talk in "big picture" perspective. Sports is not kind to those who get soft.....you better find guys who are hard and hungry when you get fat and happy because the recruiting at the level UK is involved eats up the people who aren't willing to get into the mud and fight.

Easy! Just look for a Div 1 coach with more NCAA tournament wins over the last 10 years than Cal has. Then hire that guy.

If we can still say that, we won't be saying it long. Cal's numbers are all trending down.

What will some of you say when there's nothing left to claim? Not even March runs? Because those are running dry too.

You highly underestimate the ability that $ matters and in this industry what UK brings to hungry coaches who want to see what life is like in the high stakes room instead of playing nickel slots.

This board for some reason is the worst at understanding the coaching situation with regard to programs like UK. I've never understood it, but most here undersell the money and status that the coaching spot at UK offers.

Cal - "I'd crawl over broken glass to get to Lexington". / 2006

Whenever that day comes, I pray that the decision on his replacement is not left up to Barney.

You highly underestimate the ability that $ matters and in this industry what UK brings to hungry coaches who want to see what life is like in the high stakes room instead of playing nickel slots. I'm not a guy who wants Cal to go either--but I do want more changes to his Assistants starting with the removal of Golden Boy (Justus). Want to see him hungry and relentless again. The guy who took this job.....that is the guy that most of Cal's loyal friends recognize and he did what he said he'd do. The guy lately is doing what most do as they age...soften up and talk in "big picture" perspective. Sports is not kind to those who get soft.....you better find guys who are hard and hungry when you get fat and happy because the recruiting at the level UK is involved eats up the people who aren't willing to get into the mud and fight.
Lol, so who are these “hungry” coaches just lining up to be here? What are the resumes?

Bill how in the world is that funny? It's as accurate as my aim (which is fantastic)

I think the point is you can make the call and talk to him. You never know when it comes to a program like UK. We all know it might be a long shot, but we just don't know.

Beard would take UK tomorrow and win. And I think it would be much more enjoyable than Cal at this point.
Lol, Beard isn’t even winning all that much at TT, he just suddenly going to change here? He is 95-44 at TT.

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckinden
Beard has been to a final four and is an up and comer. He's at a doormat man.
Lol, the coach at Loyola Chicago meets that requirement. Let’s just hire him and the old nun too! 😂

Beard barely has a winning conference record in the big 12. He’s had 1 good season and you are ready to give him the most demanding job in college basketball? He is nothing more than Billy G 2.0 at this point.

Lol, the coach at Loyola Chicago meets that requirement. Let’s just hire him and the old nun too! 😂

Beard barely has a winning conference record in the big 12. He’s had 1 good season and you are ready to give him the most demanding job in college basketball? He is nothing more than Billy G 2.0 at this point.

I think you need to take a look at him closer.

• Haha
Reactions: Will Bithers
ADVERTISEMENT