ADVERTISEMENT

If Bradshaw or big z do play soon what exactly do they add

The best version of this team should (will?) be 2 bigs and 3 guards attacking. like 2019/20. I am not optimistic about Edwards use and role. FR SFs that are not perimeter threats can disappear as we saw last year with Livingston. Compare that to what Dick and Miller did for their teams.

Last week cal said Bradshaw is 1-2 weeks away in a pre game presser or post game one I forgot which one, he has been saying that the past couple of weeks
That's not exactly what Cal said. He said 1-2 weeks away from being able to start practicing with the team. Regardless of whether he has been doing conditioning, he won't be in basketball condition. I would expect once he starts practicing with the team it will take another couple of weeks, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: bevcat
That's not exactly what Cal said. He said 1-2 weeks away from being able to start practicing with the team. Regardless of whether he has been doing conditioning, he won't be in basketball condition. I would expect once he starts practicing with the team it will take another couple of weeks, but that's just a guess.
Jebus Cripes, Cal, he's seven feet tall. Just throw him in there, he can at least just park himself under the basket for a few minutes a game, maybe he'll discourage the layup line we've been giving up.

Reactions: NociHTTP and bevcat
Jebus Cripes, Cal, he's seven feet tall. Just throw him in there, he can at least just park himself under the basket for a few minutes a game, maybe he'll discourage the layup line we've been giving up.
Maybe he will do that. Who knows? I just don't think he will play significant minutes to start with because he won't have the conditioning to do it.

Mitchell doesn’t stand around dude. He was battling with Dickerson for rebounds. He is a natural 4 Thiero is kinda of a tweener. He’s gonna be a defensive/physical spark plug for us. I think Thiero will get a lot of minutes and I like his fight but Mitchell at the 4 creates mismatches and will help us play an open style on offense.
Usually I’m with you. But strongly disagree here. Mitchell gives you a couple threes per game at best. Not as much toughness. Less rebounding than Thiero (Adou with 6 at the offensive end alone). No momentum put back dunks like Thiero. Can’t take his man off the dribble like Thiero.

Or, to put it much more simply: Thiero will play in the NBA and Mitchell will not. And what will get Thiero to the NBA is not potential, but rather what he currently exhibits.

Reactions: NociHTTP and bevcat
Why do you think? He has shown us multiple times he wants to play here. This isn’t a sharpe situation
It isn't about Sharpe, it is about UK and Cal's culture + Bradshaw's agency. I will believe he plays when I see him on the court in a game. Until that happens I don't expect to see him play here.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Besides size and potential rim protection what do they add
What do you want them to add?

We're missing size and rim protection. Seems like that's what they're supposed to bring.

Last night we didn't have anyone that could stop Hunter Dickinson. Either 7 footer probably gives him more trouble than 6'8 Mitchell--who I think did a good job battling--he just was undersized.

What do you want them to add?

We're missing size and rim protection. Seems like that's what they're supposed to bring.

Last night we didn't have anyone that could stop Hunter Dickinson. Either 7 footer probably gives him more trouble than 6'8 Mitchell--who I think did a good job battling--he just was undersized.
I was asking, not what I want them to add, I was asking what they would add

I think rim protection and size is what we're lacking, and what they'll add.

I doubt either is as good of a passer as Mitchell. Based on highlight videos, both guys are capable of stretching the floor and hitting the 3. Maybe not as good as Mitchell, but better than previous Calipari bigs. I think in that sense, they're similar to Mitchell at the 5.

But they would be better equipped to bang with HD and challenge shots at the rim.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I think rim protection and size is what we're lacking, and what they'll add.

I doubt either is as good of a passer as Mitchell. Based on highlight videos, both guys are capable of stretching the floor and hitting the 3. Maybe not as good as Mitchell, but better than previous Calipari bigs. I think in that sense, they're similar to Mitchell at the 5.

But they would be better equipped to bang with HD and challenge shots at the rim.
Thank you, I wasn’t trying to be a smartass and say oh that’s all they’re adding, I was genuinely wanting to know.

Reactions: Cats192
They add an excuse for Cal to play stall ball in the last four minutes and losing by trying to force it into the post.

Honestly, I’m hoping this is all they bring and we continue to play the fast gusts oriented style of basketball. We need rebounding and a post defender….we don’t need a 7 footer being a major part of the offense.

But if Bradshaw plays Cal will do everything to appease Klutch and feature him in the offense taking midrange Js. We just have to pray that he is in fact the next coming of Kevin Durant or else we get worse offensively when he comes back….at minimum an Anthony Davis. Ya know…bc those guys grow on trees everyday

Honestly, I’m hoping this is all they bring and we continue to play the fast gusts oriented style of basketball. We need rebounding and a post defender….we don’t need a 7 footer being a major part of the offense.

But if Bradshaw plays Cal will do everything to appease Klutch and feature him in the offense taking midrange Js. We just have to pray that he is in fact the next coming of Kevin Durant or else we get worse offensively when he comes back….at minimum an Anthony Davis. Ya know…bc those guys grow on trees everyday
I wouldn’t mind if they could give a couple of post up buckets, but I agree I like the style and tempo they are playing right now

That’s not a far fetch!
Guarantee Ugonna will never see much time either and Big Z will be ruled ineligible.
That’s a little far fetched on my part but who the heck knows. Why is it so hard for us to have something go our way?

Well, that's because Cal is disliked throughout the industry. And, to a lesser extent, because we're Kentucky.

Maybe he will do that. Who knows? I just don't think he will play significant minutes to start with because he won't have the conditioning to do it.
How much conditioning does he need to just stand under the basket and throw his hands in the air for 10 minutes a game?

Why do you think? He has shown us multiple times he wants to play here. This isn’t a sharpe situation

Does he want to play here or does he want to eat, sleep and work out here? Now I'm not at all saying he won't play, but one does have to wonder. Wasn't he a longshot for us at one time?

In 8 fewer minutes tonight, Thiero outrebounded Mitchell 13-6. He was all over the court, making hustle play after hustle play. I'll take hustle over talent
I've been saying for months, that Theiro is likely our best rebounder, after Onyenso. Also our best all-around defender, and our best guy to attack the basket. His outside shooting isn't bad, but yeah Mitchell is better at that.

Does he want to play here or does he want to eat, sleep and work out here? Now I'm not at all saying he won't play, but one does have to wonder. Wasn't he a longshot for us at one time?
I think he wants to play he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he doesn’t want to play

1. It buys Mitchell doesn't have to play 39 minutes and Tre won't be dog tired of banging on Dickinson. I'd wager a distribution of Mitchell 28 minutes and 12 for Bradshaw at C would have garnered more than 6 rebounds...which probably dents Dickinson 20 rebounds on the other end.
2. I'd imagine Burks will not even play at all ...so those 10 minutes that he didn't score a basket but did get 4 rebounds....would be likely an extra bucket or two, maybe more rebounds and likely more shot blocks or altered shots.
3. Dickinson was basically money once he got it on the blocks/boards. Mitchell got a few shots but he was collapsing our interior defense. Bradshaw probably isn't any stronger but he's a good shot blocker and he comes from weakside...so I'd argue 27 pts for Dickinson would be less likely.

So while shooting threat or passing might not (or maybe he will) be as good as Mitchell. Having a fresher Mitchell to rest and absorb all of Burks minutes is a plus for UK and maybe a 5 pt swing...which would be a win most likely.

There have been a lot of answers in this thread but I think they’ll both offer the ability to stretch the floor. Adou(though one luckily rolled in last night) and Burks are both guys you don’t have to really guard, especially on the perimeter. I think teams will have to respect Z and Bradshaw(wrongly attributed to be the best shooter on the team by Cal but still a capable one)

In 8 fewer minutes tonight, Thiero outrebounded Mitchell 13-6. He was all over the court, making hustle play after hustle play. I'll take hustle over talent
Yea, you can’t hold much against Mitchell last night. The guy spent 39 minutes guarding guys who are quite a bit bigger than him. I think it’s more than fair that he didn’t light up the points or rebounds columns.

Usually I’m with you. But strongly disagree here. Mitchell gives you a couple threes per game at best. Not as much toughness. Less rebounding than Thiero (Adou with 6 at the offensive end alone). No momentum put back dunks like Thiero. Can’t take his man off the dribble like Thiero.

Or, to put it much more simply: Thiero will play in the NBA and Mitchell will not. And what will get Thiero to the NBA is not potential, but rather what he currently exhibits.
Thiero plays smash-mouth basketball, and I love it! We need alphas, guys who just elevate everyone around them. Both he and Reed do that.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
I think he wants to play, but in a "don't expose me" kind of way.

You show that you want to play here by getting into a game. Even if it's for a minute. Takes ZERO conditioning to do that. If he tells Cal he wants to be in the game, he's going in.

Well, that's because Cal is disliked throughout the industry. And, to a lesser extent, because we're Kentucky.
Definitely is man!
I think it’s where Cal is always trying to take the Alpha out of the pack. In all things of life literally he demands to be in charge. I can go on and on. Even his hand shake the elbow squeeze he gives these coaches are funny to me lol.

You show that you want to play here by getting into a game. Even if it's for a minute. Takes ZERO conditioning to do that. If he tells Cal he wants to be in the game, he's going in.
So....his first game should've been last night? Even not playing full contact yet. That's....that's insane. Zero conditioning? What are you freaking talking about? Did you see the way HD was back riding our guys? Tre and Audo were EXHAUSTED. That's not the game Bradshaw shoud just "hop in"

That goes completely against every timeline we have been given. The timeline we have been given suggest he should play Friday or Monday
Timeline?

You really believe a word Cal says about timelines? Really? After all the Sharpe, Clarke, Wheeler, and Vanderbilt bullshizznile that was slung our way?

At the very least they’ll add some rebounding and depth. Let us hope we get them on the court asap.

What do big guys bring to teams? Why ever have a big guy? Interior defense, first and foremost. Rebounding. Strength which is the biggest single physical asset in basketball. Higher percentage at the rim. The list goes on and is very long….

1. It buys Mitchell doesn't have to play 39 minutes and Tre won't be dog tired of banging on Dickinson. I'd wager a distribution of Mitchell 28 minutes and 12 for Bradshaw at C would have garnered more than 6 rebounds...which probably dents Dickinson 20 rebounds on the other end.
2. I'd imagine Burks will not even play at all ...so those 10 minutes that he didn't score a basket but did get 4 rebounds....would be likely an extra bucket or two, maybe more rebounds and likely more shot blocks or altered shots.
3. Dickinson was basically money once he got it on the blocks/boards. Mitchell got a few shots but he was collapsing our interior defense. Bradshaw probably isn't any stronger but he's a good shot blocker and he comes from weakside...so I'd argue 27 pts for Dickinson would be less likely.

So while shooting threat or passing might not (or maybe he will) be as good as Mitchell. Having a fresher Mitchell to rest and absorb all of Burks minutes is a plus for UK and maybe a 5 pt swing...which would be a win most likely.
Maybe Mitchell and Bradshaw at the same time to give the other team some match-up problems in a high/low set of some sort

Reactions: K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT