ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z is our best center

At this point, it's just matchup-dependent. Ugo is still a dude that averages 4ppg and 5rpg. Not great. And he, too, has had a very limited number of good games. He has grabbed more than 6 rebounds exactly THREE times and scored in double figures exactly ONE time. He does block shots.

When Mitchell returns, I'd run him out there with Reed, Dilly, Reeves, and Thiero. What we'll see from our brilliant coach though - Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Mitchell, Ugo.
I mean if a team wants to run with us I think that’s where ivisic can thrive. If it’s a defensive dependent game you go with ugo.

Z is the best offensively and the most skilled, but he is by far the worst defender out of any of the options. He still needs mins but the bigs situation is going to be dependent on matchups
People say that, but I've watched him get pulled out for getting scored on and then Ugo getting dunked on 2 plays in a row right afterwards. Ugo who wasn't ready to start the season has played probably 6 times as many mins if not more so far. Has hands if stone and has had trouble rebounding and been outrebounded by guards in many games. He has had some really good games, but more stinkers than good especially for the mins he has seen.

Take out the possibility of Edwards and I agree. You need a good defender who can help down low and block some shots. That's Adou. Edwards should come off the bench, keep shooting the three, and if he isn't hitting, go back to the bench. Adou is a dog. Edwards is a guy who has gone 7/8 from deep over the last two games. That's exciting, but he's not consistent. He may very well go 1/8 over the next two games.
Well, while I was elated about Edwards' performance against 'bama I'm not the one you need to convince that Thiero is better; I'm already a Thiero believer. We really don't know about Edwards until we find out which is the real shooter, the Edwards of the last few games or the one of our first 20+ games. My point is that the only way we'll see Shep, Dilly, and Reeves together is with either Edwards or Thiero at the 4.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
The match-ups made the difference against Bama, a poor defensive team. We've seen Z get worked by bigger, stronger centers on defensive minded teams. That said, Z can definitely get better still, and his natural offensive ability is a major positive.

. Most of our other guys have gotten much more of an opportunity to play thru that stuff. Cal was ready to yank him a Couple mins into the game against Bama. Glad he changed his mind.
I noticed that; Ugo went back and sat down after Z made a nice play.

People say that, but I've watched him get pulled out for getting scored on and then Ugo getting dunked on 2 plays in a row right afterwards. Ugo who wasn't ready to start the season has played probably 6 times as many mins if not more so far. Has hands if stone and has had trouble rebounding and been outrebounded by guards in many games. He has had some really good games, but more stinkers than good especially for the mins he has seen.
The truth is that we don't have a single player on the team that can guard a strong big one on one in the post. That's where coaching come in and the post must be doubled. And I don't mean to ALWAYS double the post no matter who the other team has in the post(like Tubby), just when it's necessary.

Last edited:
Given all the Lineups threads that litter the board every day, I'm surprised to see so many people say in this thread that match-ups are important. They of course are - along with foul trouble, who just happens to be playing better, momentum, etc. This is exactly why there's no point in spending a bunch of time coming up with the perfect lineup as the chance that lineup is played together for any length of time in any given game is minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats192
.The line up that the coaching staff that sees them everyday choses is the proper one. Then they adjust on the fly depending on matchups and foul trouble. What they are not doing is polling RR.

College vs Pro. College your best center gets lost on D one play, you yank him and limit his minutes, because I'm the King ego. Pro, A.D gets turned around on a play and gets scored on. You don't pull your best center. I'm not saying Z is A.D. but he is our best center.

LOL, AD can guard 1-5 on the floor, block shots with the best of them, active hands, AND averages 25 & 11 on the offensive end, one of the 10 best players in the WORLD. Yeah, you do not bench those guys for making a bad play,

College v/s Pro
Your best scoring guard gets lost on running around in circles and then tried to make two AND1 passes, and gets yanked and his minutes limited.
I am not saying Dillingham is Steph Curry, but Steph got lost on defense and got beat by his man twice in a row, you do not take out your scorer in the NBA.

LOL, AD can guard 1-5 on the floor, block shots with the best of them, active hands, AND averages 25 & 11 on the offensive end, one of the 10 best players in the WORLD. Yeah, you do not bench those guys for making a bad play,

College v/s Pro
Your best scoring guard gets lost on running around in circles and then tried to make two AND1 passes, and gets yanked and his minutes limited.
I am not saying Dillingham is Steph Curry, but Steph got lost on defense and got beat by his man twice in a row, you do not take out your scorer in the NBA.
You missed the point. I wasn't comparing Z to A.D. as stated. I'm comparing our best 5 on Kentucky, by far to how they are coached. You still should put your best on the floor to give your team a chance to win. Z is as good as A.D. compared tou Ugo, and Bradshaw.

I would much rather have someone who is a threat offensively and is just as good defensively. Z makes us much more dangerous offensively which makes the other teammates more dangerous.
Yeah but except for a few games our defense has been lacking, I need to see more from Z than that Alabama game. But he does need to get minutes, this not hardly playing him in some games is bull.

I did love Cal’s postgame comments about the 7 footer who plays the most physical will play.
Skill is not the issue, even for Bradshaw. But who will fight like hell on D and play tough.
Love Z’s play. That drop bounce pass to Thiero cutting (even though he missed the dunk) was very Arvydas Sabonis-ish.
I am anxious to see him against Bell and Smith tonight inside. He just needs to hold his own and keep those 2 from having breakout games, mainly Smith.
He has the skill set to cause them issues if he gets enough playing time without Cow yanking him or foul trouble.

I disagree. He is a good shot blocker but his timing and feel of the game still hold him back. I feel like he feast against bad teams but teams with skilled bigs give him problems. Sometimes guys will get a shot off over Ugo with little to not contest because he doesn't sense when the shot is about to go up. I think he can still be a somewhat effective player but there have been moments when he looks completely lost.
That should be obvious at this point . Yeah he’s tall and can block some shots .. but zero hoops IQ . Plays like a robot .

The Z Move I liked the best came in the 2nd half when he spun to his right for the lay in. The standard back-to-the-basket move at that point is to go left.

I am anxious to see him against Bell and Smith tonight inside. He just needs to hold his own and keep those 2 from having breakout games, mainly Smith.
He has the skill set to cause them issues if he gets enough playing time without Cow yanking him or foul trouble.
Z has NOT showed the ability to guard elite bigs in the SEC. "Keep those 2 from having a breakout game "? Tolu Smith has been a very good player for 4 years now. He had his "breakout game" 4 years ago. This is not the type of game that Z will excel in. If he plays significant minutes, you will not have to worry about CAL (not cow), yanking him. Him being out of position and reaching and fouling will yank him.

LOL, "breakout game" for Smith. His 4 years (not counting his 5th year as a freshman)
23-24 - 17 pts. 8 rebounds per game
22-23 - 16 pts. 8.5 rebounds per game
21-22 - 14 pts. 6.5 rebounds per game
20-21 - 13 pts. 8.5 rebounds per game

Z has NOT showed the ability to guard elite bigs in the SEC. "Keep those 2 from having a breakout game "? Tolu Smith has been a very good player for 4 years now. He had his "breakout game" 4 years ago. This is not the type of game that Z will excel in. If he plays significant minutes, you will not have to worry about CAL (not cow), yanking him. Him being out of position and reaching and fouling will yank him.

LOL, "breakout game" for Smith. His 4 years (not counting his 5th year as a freshman)
23-24 - 17 pts. 8 rebounds per game
22-23 - 16 pts. 8.5 rebounds per game
21-22 - 14 pts. 6.5 rebounds per game
20-21 - 13 pts. 8.5 rebounds per game
The entire front court has been outmatched by Smith.

He’s clearly been our best center since the day the dude became eligible.. Ray Charles could see it , entire state of Kentucky sees it ( minus a few douche bags on here ) but our 9 mil a year Bennie can’t quite get it figured out

He’s clearly been our best center since the day the dude became eligible.. Ray Charles could see it , entire state of Kentucky sees it ( minus a few douche bags on here ) but our 9 mil a year Bennie can’t quite get it figured out
A couple that like Ugo aren’t douchebags. They just overvalue the 10 block game. Ugo has had as many decent games at Z - three. But if Z had the opportunities that the other bigs had have, it wouldn’t be close.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Onyenso is so comically bad it's mind numbing we continue to spot the other team 8-10 points every game by starting him. All because of that one fluke performance.

Way to be level headed and mature with your decision making, Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT