ADVERTISEMENT

UK not on list of 7 for Dybantsa

Pretty embarrassing not to even make the final 7 on a kid were legitimately after. But hey, at least we can overpay to keep Jasper home!
Lol, too funny 😁 😂, take a wild guess why byu is a finalist and UK is not? Brilliant idea to just spend all our NIL on a couple of top recruits and maybe we can fill the rest with juco players or walkons. This actually speaks to what is most important to this kid, the bag. Great player, priority is the name on the back. This is actually the rumor on jasper, which I hope is not true. Another rumor is that acaden Lewis does not want to play with jasper. So pope has his hands full navigating this.

Lol, too funny 😁 😂, take a wild guess why byu is a finalist and UK is not? Brilliant idea to just spend all our NIL on a couple of top recruits and maybe we can fill the rest with juco players or walkons. This actually speaks to what is most important to this kid, the bag. Great player, priority is the name on the back. This is actually the rumor on jasper, which I hope is not true. Another rumor is that acaden Lewis does not want to play with jasper. So pope has his hands full navigating this.
I'm glad we have a coach that can see this, and not one that wasn't concerned about player character or the makeup of the roster. If they're not here to bust their butts and WIN TITLES, then they shouldn't be here to make money, either.

UI am just glad several in this post are not managing a budget. Geez. Why would you shoot 60% or more of your nil budget on an 18 year old college kid. You don’t. Pretty simple

I'm glad we have a coach that can see this, and not one that wasn't concerned about player character or the makeup of the roster. If they're not here to bust their butts and WIN TITLES, then they shouldn't be here to make money, either.
Ha ha. If you're going to be my mistress, you're going to have to display more moral fibre than that. I would kick you out of bed.

You obviously do not get the reasoning behind it. He is saying "All UK students / players are welcome. We have ONE spot left, not like he is trying to build a team with walk ons or student tryouts. LOL, you are so blind with negativity, you let a good PR move smack you right in the face. We have TEN players who will contribute, season is about to start, the last spot is just filler. He said the last spot could go several different directions, a reclass, project, or a multi year, developmental type player. The try out is simply a chance to include the fanbase. It is not because he NEEDS another player. If he could have got a reclass or remaining guy from the portal who fit, he would have taken him, but he didn't, so he is using the last spot for PR. SIMPLE AS THAT.
He’s not going to give a scholarship to any walk on unless he doesn’t plan to add another player. Then maybe give a kid or kids some help,

These tryouts are for walkons who can help in practice. Not on scholarship. Football uses a ton of them.

Please no more exclusive one and done mercenaries biding their 8 months here with their agents and posse with their hands out who don’t really care about the results for UK.

Get guys who care.

I have never in my life been so delusional I suggested for a second something as absurd as the reason a player of this caliber dropped Kentucky from his list is because WE told HIM, "No, thanks." That's actually an accomplishment, buddy. If you have nothing else to be proud of you can at least claim credit for that.
Personally, glad Pope told him thanks but no thanks. Paying this guy 2 to 3 million is crazy. Maybe Pope can land 2 for 3 very good players for that amount. This nil crap is ruining college sports. It's all about $. College is now the nba's minor league and the nba isn't basketball. Just watch the Olympics and that lousy display. I hope at least Pope's team shows fundamentals, screens, running plays and defensive schemes

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Jasper is another case of just $. He doesn't care about uk, just himself

I’ve still yet to see anything that makes me think Pope gets a second contract at UK. Guy just ain’t cutting it in recruiting (to win at the level UK requires) and it won’t matter how good he coaches or what his system is when the roster is what you’d see at a mid to upper mid level SEC school. Feels like we’ve gone from one extreme to the other. From a coach that could recruiting but was the worst coach in the country to a guy that can coach but isn’t a good recruiter. Looking at all the “top guys” that UK is recruiting, I don’t know that we will get any. The one that might possibly come is mainly due to family ties.

When it’s a player like AJ, who is basically can’t miss, I’d much rather spend 2M there than using it to bring in 4-5 transfers from Poop State University.

• Haha
Reactions: dlh331
To not have us in the top7.. now maybe Pope said "thanks, but no thanks", but I think that notion is a little conceited for a 1st year coach here. If I was Pope and UK, I would be shelling out some NIL to land what could be one of the elite talents of the last 5 to 10 years. Idk, doesn't seem like something you turn down.

And if not this guy because of character issues, that's totally fine.. but then it needs to be someone else.

Because say this team falls short this year.. and say it's not an in-game coaching problem.. the most logical reason will be not having any real elite talent at the college level. If we lose in the 1st weekend, my guess will be that these players are good, but maybe not great.. and we run into a team that can match us very well in size and speed (something we got used to almost never happening under Cal).

So yeah, while I don't want to go back to 1AD teams, I do think we need to keep 1 or 2 top25ish guys on the team, if we can. Kentucky still needs to be a big NIL player.

This. Im glad cal u is gone but you cant suddenly be ok recruiting like a mid major.

Maybe things will change after we hopefully see a good product and some people put in the league, but lack of recruiting foundation was my exact reason for concern with the hire way back when it was made. I thought ab3 would cure the ailment, and im sure he helps, but apparently it will take more.

I remember this common complaint was addressed by media people by saying "oh he had limitations on him at byu". Funny it doesn't seem to be limiting the new guy. So who was limiting whom in recruiting?

Disagree, Zion and AD definitely would be worth that if not more. But those guys are extreme rarities. AJ is good but he doesn’t get the same attention as someone like Cooper Flagg, so can’t blame other programs for backing out if the asking price is close to 3M.

But did we know AD and Zion were going to be AD and Zion when they came out of HS? It's too hard to predict at this point so I say work with the bag you get and if you feel you can get 2-3 high level proven transfers that fill a specific need vs tie up a lot of NIL on a "can't miss..hopefully" FR, I'm not mad at you.

I didn’t expect to land generational talent until the basketball world sees what Pope can/can’t do on the court
This would be far more concerning 2 years from now
While we do have more NIL money than previously, it still isn’t where it should be, and I don’t think it will be until there’s a product on the floor that will warrant it.
I believe CMP knows this and is right now budgeting NIL funds. He starts winning and going deep in March…I think that’ll change
It’s far too early to say CMP can or cannot recruit. The portal and NIL has really leveled the playing field
I personally am going to enjoy it unless and until there is reason not to

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’ve still yet to see anything that makes me think Pope gets a second contract at UK. Guy just ain’t cutting it in recruiting (to win at the level UK requires) and it won’t matter how good he coaches or what his system is when the roster is what you’d see at a mid to upper mid level SEC school. Feels like we’ve gone from one extreme to the other. From a coach that could recruiting but was the worst coach in the country to a guy that can coach but isn’t a good recruiter. Looking at all the “top guys” that UK is recruiting, I don’t know that we will get any. The one that might possibly come is mainly due to family ties.

When it’s a player like AJ, who is basically can’t miss, I’d much rather spend 2M there than using it to bring in 4-5 transfers from Poop State University.
He’s in on a ton of good players and will get his share. It just won’t be 5 or 6 HS guys. Will be about 3 per year.
I think he will kill it at UK. Just has “it”

I’ve still yet to see anything that makes me think Pope gets a second contract at UK. Guy just ain’t cutting it in recruiting (to win at the level UK requires) and it won’t matter how good he coaches or what his system is when the roster is what you’d see at a mid to upper mid level SEC school.
I agree, I'm equally outraged and concerned. His 0-0 record and 0 star recruits committed for next year speaks to this. Facts are facts. Plus, I think the max time to gauge pope is 6 months. No way we give him a few years, that is laughable.

• Haha
Reactions: ORCAT and NociHTTP
Wagner I believe was ranked as the top Frosh and Soph in the nation and was still top 5 when he was a Junior and Senior. Like most said I remember Edwards was ranked #1 and was on most boards as being the #1 pick for months in his Senior year. We watched them all year and they should not have started as we watched much lower ranked players and upperclassmen out play them every game. Pope system is not like Cal system. I'm sure Pope would like to have 9 or 10 really good players on every roster instead of having to pay one really good player and take leftovers for 4 or 5 spots. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see AJ here at UK but I'm sure Pope can produce a great team w/o him. It's the xfer portal area it we miss on one just get another close to what you want for team needs.
I agree somewhat but in their defense not all coaches are equal. Some are better at helping freshman that struggle. I say all that to say it wasn’t all just the player. There has to be some responsibility on the coaching staff for underachieving or not developing star freshman properly.

I didn’t expect to land generational talent until the basketball world sees what Pope can/can’t do on the court
While we do have more NIL money than previously, it still isn’t where it should be, and I don’t think it will be until there’s a product on the floor that will warrant it.
I believe CMP knows this and is right now budgeting NIL funds. He starts winning and going deep in March…I think that’ll change
It’s far too early to say CMP can or cannot recruit. The portal and NIL has really leveled the playing field
Don't think UK will ever have a great nil fund. Not unless former athletes donate. Just not enough large profitable industries in the state.

It's way to early for anyone to say Pope can or can't recruit at a high level. Cal has had the #1 or #2 class what 15 years in a row. We have one title with 5 straight first round exits. Pope did a hell of a job in the xfer portal in a very short amount of time and his 3 recruits are probably gonna be 3 or 4 year players to build a foundation for years to come. Pope is not going to just recruit the best 4 or 5 five star recruits and then figure it out like our previous coach. Pope is going to target recruits he thinks that we need frosh or xfer portal to fill a need we have on the roster. I don't think he will rely solely on a couple of 5 star frosh to win. He's gonna get players back, xfer portal players and probably target certain frosh he needs or would excel in his system whether they are 4 or 5 stars it matters not. It's all about team success and fit.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Don't think UK will ever have a great nil fund. Not unless former athletes donate. Just not enough large profitable industries in the state.
And if that's the case (I think you're right unfortunately), then I HOPE that people will not think Pope can't recruit, when it was just a matter of players wanting better money elsewhere.

And things could be WAY different in two years than they are now. There might even be a better solution than players just going to the teams with the most NIL. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bkocats
Personally, glad Pope told him thanks but no thanks. Paying this guy 2 to 3 million is crazy. Maybe Pope can land 2 for 3 very good players for that amount. This nil crap is ruining college sports. It's all about $. College is now the nba's minor league and the nba isn't basketball. Just watch the Olympics and that lousy display. I hope at least Pope's team shows fundamentals, screens, running plays and defensive schemes
You are not getting it. No one tells talent like this "no, thanks". You have to be so daft to convince yourself of that. It's really quite amazing. If some booster was willing to fork over the cash, your tune would be far different. You act like it's your f'ng money. GTFO

But did we know AD and Zion were going to be AD and Zion when they came out of HS? It's too hard to predict at this point so I say work with the bag you get and if you feel you can get 2-3 high level proven transfers that fill a specific need vs tie up a lot of NIL on a "can't miss..hopefully" FR, I'm not mad at you.

Yes. Especially zion. Zion was the most cant miss prospect in forever.

Again im glad we're no long cal u but we cant go to the other end of the spectrum where we're just completely irrelevant in recruiting.

Yes. Especially zion. Zion was the most cant miss prospect in forever.

Again im glad we're no long cal u but we cant go to the other end of the spectrum where we're just completely irrelevant in recruiting.

Ya but Zion was packaged with the number 1 and 3 recruits (yes - you read that right, the top THREE recruits!) and they lost in the elite eight and frankly it was a miracle they even made it that far. So, like, what are we even arguing?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Ya but Zion was packaged with the number 1 and 3 recruits (yes - you read that right, the top THREE recruits!) and they lost in the elite eight and frankly it was a miracle they even made it that far. So, like, what are we even arguing?

I agree. In fact back then i used to post semi rants about how duke and k were cheating with details. That said, the results are separate from the performance. Zion was a force of nature in college. I hate it but its true. Its incredible they lost but indeed they did.

All that said, in fine with being transfer kings with the occasional talented freshman. We just cant be irrelevant yet that feels like where we are.

Nice troll post. Pathetic attempt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT