ADVERTISEMENT

I don't think Edwards has good hops

He’s just looks lazy to me, lazy passes, lazy finishes at the rim. Something has to change, I’m all for him coming off the bench until he can improve on these things. Maybe he would be better as a role player, I’m sure he will continue to start though…..

I think part of it is that he pretty much dribbles with his left hand. Everyone's defending him from there.

He’ll cost us in the post season. Lousy shooter, no rebounds, and gassed after 5 minutes. But Calipari will let him “play through it” when the writing is on the wall. That’s what frustrates me about Cal.

When you think about it is absolutely amazing that he starts. He is maybe the 9th best player on the team.
I think Cal keeps giving him a chance to try and get him going. His minutes are trending downward for the most part so he’s not riding him to the ground luckily.

Edwards has potential we just have seen it sadly. I think some of it is mental and he’s in his own head. Maybe he’s fighting anxiety or has some other mental issue atm. Who knows? His skills just aren’t translating to the college game right now.

I think he’d benefit from another year as well.

The good news is that even WITH Adou being out, Edwards only got 16 minutes last night. He may still be starting (not sure why), but he's sure not getting starter minutes.

He had the least amount of points of anyone who played yesterday.. and he was our HIGHEST rated recruit.. and our highest rated one in some time.

TBH, I'm low key glad he had another poor showing last night. We either need him to come alive, or prove to Cal why others should take his minutes. What we don't need is him scoring 10pts on 8 shots, making staff believe "maybe he's got it" as they continue to play a guy who just doesn't help us at the moment.

I was watching him on tv last night just jogging up and down court and standing around watching everone else like he was afraid to go inside and play

I think there's a chance you could see a player like Edwards shut it down for the season. Not likely as of now, but if this continues towards the end of SEC play, and if his minutes get reduced to below 10.. He might figure "screw it, and start training/prepping to salvage any draft stock he has left".

I think this is a bigger possibility than we realize, and it honestly is a win/win for all parties. Jalen Johnson did this with Duke a few years back, more or less.

His lack of game has been the biggest surprise to me this season.
I think that’s the case with nearly all of us.

But, fortunately, it’s been offset by the happy surprise of Reed and Dillingham being even better than expected. Our top five recruits have performed in about the exact reverse order of how they were ranked …did anyone see that coming?

I think Cal keeps giving him a chance to try and get him going. His minutes are trending downward for the most part so he’s not riding him to the ground luckily.

Edwards has potential we just have seen it sadly. I think some of it is mental and he’s in his own head. Maybe he’s fighting anxiety or has some other mental issue atm. Who knows? His skills just aren’t translating to the college game right now.

I think he’d benefit from another year as well.
Not really. Yes he played more early, then his lowest minutes of the year were 14 and 13 against Penn and UNC. But last 6 games he's averaging 20 minutes. I think it WOULD be lower if Thiero were healthy but who knows if/when that will be.

Wow...2 threads on the board just on Edwards...calling him all kinds of names and picking on the kid.

You picked on Savhir Wheeler, he's gone, now Justin Edwards.

THESE ARE TEENAGERS\YOUNG ADULTS - AND THEY ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN!

STOP BEING BULLIES!!

Here's some quotes from you adults (I use that term lightly) who like to bully kids and hide behind a keyboard. You wouldn't have the balls to say it to his face.

"he was afraid to go inside and play"

"Maybe he’s fighting anxiety or has some other mental issue atm."

"Lousy shooter"

"He's failing just fine on his own."

"he will be a liability in March if he starts"

"He's a stiff. A tomato can."

"He’s just looks lazy to me"

"No motor"

"Makes me wonder if he is in shape"

Last edited:
The biggest issues I see are bad/weak hands and bad core strength. If he were a multi year player, these are all fixable with the right amount of work and some maturation.

His shot mechanics look ok and he's plenty quick when he has the ball. But it is hard to slash when you lose your handle after any contact at all. He just doesn't finish or play strong at all on offense.

On defense, he plays flat footed and gets caught ball watching too often. He shouldn't be losing track of his man on cuts that frequently.

Edwards has potential, but he needs a few more years here to actually realize it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Not really. Yes he played more early, then his lowest minutes of the year were 14 and 13 against Penn and UNC. But last 6 games he's averaging 20 minutes. I think it WOULD be lower if Thiero were healthy but who knows if/when that will be.
Yeah Adou being out is giving us little choice. It’s both good and bad. Bad because we need him. Good because it gives Edwards a chance to keep trying. But luckily we have other options at offense as well.

Dude has moments. He hit that three early in the first half. Then had a couple of other good plays. Just needs to get some consistency going to help with his confidence. You can see he has the tool set. He’s just got to get better at using them.

He’s not a teenager. He’s a 20-year-old de facto professional being paid well to do this. And I’m sure he never looks at this board or gives a shit what we here think anyways. So just chill out on the drama queen scolding routine.
How much is he getting paid chief? Does the University pay him weekly or bi-weekly?

Yeah Adou being out is giving us little choice. It’s both good and bad. Bad because we need him. Good because it gives Edwards a chance to keep trying. But luckily we have other options at offense as well.

Dude has moments. He hit that three early in the first half. Then had a couple of other good plays. Just needs to get some consistency going to help with his confidence. You can see he has the tool set. He’s just got to get better at using them.
Yeah his shooting has gone from bad to average but I don't trust him dribbling, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't defend... the tools are definitely there but he needs a LOT of work on using them, and needs to get a LOT tougher.

hold on GIF

These aren't the game threads...these are two threads about him. I'm just defending him. I'm sure you all criticizing a 20 year old have ALWAYS been soooo perfect! Your life has been a bed of roses, your perfect in every possible way.
Maybe you should defend that 20 year old teenager in the game thread. You got stock in his college basketball card?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
How much is he getting paid chief? Does the University pay him weekly or bi-weekly?
Oh spare me, we all know they're making a nice bundle in NIL money, and money is partly why they're here. So let's not pretend this is still about the rah rah school spirt stuff. Those days have passed.

I think it's funny how some infantilize these players. We have no problem sending 18-year-olds off to boot camp and then overseas to fight our wars. Oh, but an adult in his early 20s paid to play a game? Why, he's just a fragile child too delicate for harsh words! LOL

I agree that personal insults should be off limits. But critique related solely to basketball game is entirely fair game ...hell, that's what this place is largely for. If a player can't handle being critiqued by a few fans on a message board, then he should not choose UK. It's something that just naturally comes with the territory when you choose the school known for having the nation's largest, craziest and most avid fan base.

He's a kid who could have a really big year 2. IF he realizes he needs it. I could see him having a PJ Washington type of turn around.

How and why do you exactly see that? What has the kid shown in 16 games to make you think he would have a really big year if he stayed till he was a senior?

Nobody wants him to fail, but an honest and pretty factual critique of his game would say the following:
1. Not as skilled as expected.
2. Not as strong as expected.
3. Not in shape as expected.
4. Not mentally strong as expected.
5. Not very good hands.
5. Has zero dog in him.
6. Has been blocked by the rim at least 3 times this season.

So the kid was a great high school player, I guess. Doesn't mean he is going to amount to anything at UK. And so far, he's only getting minutes because he's one of Calipari's boys and Adou has some mysterious injury that is keeping him out of games. I think Edwards is what he is, and I think there is a better chance he turns into Whitney than he does PJ. Would not be surprised if he gets an injury very soon.

He’ll cost us in the post season. Lousy shooter, no rebounds, and gassed after 5 minutes. But Calipari will let him “play through it” when the writing is on the wall. That’s what frustrates me about Cal.
I would agree with you if your story had even one ounce of truth to it. But since it doesn't there is nothing to agree about.

Your frustrations are over imaginary beliefs.

Justin Edwards is the exact same age as Chris Livingston and Cason Wallace, fwiw. Livingston born October 2003, Wallace born in November 2003, Edwards December 2003.

He's 6 months older than Adou Thiero.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT