ADVERTISEMENT

I don't think Edwards has good hops

How and why do you exactly see that? What has the kid shown in 16 games to make you think he would have a really big year if he stayed till he was a senior?

Nobody wants him to fail, but an honest and pretty factual critique of his game would say the following:
1. Not as skilled as expected.
2. Not as strong as expected.
3. Not in shape as expected.
4. Not mentally strong as expected.

5. Not very good hands.
5. Has zero dog in him.
6. Has been blocked by the rim at least 3 times this season.

So the kid was a great high school player, I guess. Doesn't mean he is going to amount to anything at UK. And so far, he's only getting minutes because he's one of Calipari's boys and Adou has some mysterious injury that is keeping him out of games. I think Edwards is what he is, and I think there is a better chance he turns into Whitney than he does PJ. Would not be surprised if he gets an injury very soon.
These are not critiques of Basketball. Im sure you in shape, strong and are mentally sharp as well. Someone will talk about you like this one day

These are not critiques of Basketball. Im sure you in shape, strong are mentally sharp as well. Someone will talk about you like this one day
If you critique a basketball player by saying he doesn't look to be in great shape, that's 100% a basketball related critique. Nothing personal about that at all.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
These are not critiques of Basketball. Im sure you in shape, strong and are mentally sharp as well. Someone will talk about you like this one day
Wow really?

Does he finish at the rim or in the lane? No....Reason, lack of strength.

Does he seem like he has a lot of energy to you? No..... Reason, not in peak division 1 physical shape.

Does he seem to adapt and improve during a game? Does he make up for mistakes? Has he done anything better since game 1? No....Reason, not as mentally strong or mentally prepared to be a high impact division 1 player.

If you don't think these things are 100% basketball critiques, then I don't know what to tell you.

I’ll agree that he looks little out of game shape. Doesn’t make sense seeing we are halfway through the season. I’m not bashing the kid, I like him and think he still has the ability to be really good if he figures it out. But he needs to change his mindset and learn how to fight. Probably all in his head at this point. Fight hard - rebounding, defense, physicality. Points will come if he can do other things to right the ship. I’m pulling for him big time.

I heard he doesn't hold the door open for old ladies at the store. And also that he might have kicked a puppy once. :)

Wow...2 threads on the board just on Edwards...calling him all kinds of names and picking on the kid.

You picked on Savhir Wheeler, he's gone, now Justin Edwards.

THESE ARE TEENAGERS\YOUNG ADULTS - AND THEY ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN!

STOP BEING BULLIES!!

Here's some quotes from you adults (I use that term lightly) who like to bully kids and hide behind a keyboard. You wouldn't have the balls to say it to his face.

"he was afraid to go inside and play"

"Maybe he’s fighting anxiety or has some other mental issue atm."

"Lousy shooter"

"He's failing just fine on his own."

"he will be a liability in March if he starts"

"He's a stiff. A tomato can."

"He’s just looks lazy to me"

"No motor"

"Makes me wonder if he is in shape"

They get paid now. A lot.

I still firmly believe Edwards will have a strong finish to the season. He's going to figure it out.

On the flip side, I had no such delusions about Brandon Boston by this point in the season. There was no way he was going to change his ways....

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
He is a part of Klutch and Cal is on thin ice with them anyway. He is gonna get a chance every game. Just depends on what he decides to do with it. IMO he just doesn’t look like an NBA player at this point. G league player that Klutch may help to get two way contract.

When you think about it is absolutely amazing that he starts. He is maybe the 9th best player on the team.
If he came in and didn’t start Klutch would never send us another guy. You don’t sit their guys or you don’t get their guys. Simple.

Yeah Adou being out is giving us little choice. It’s both good and bad. Bad because we need him. Good because it gives Edwards a chance to keep trying. But luckily we have other options at offense as well.

Dude has moments. He hit that three early in the first half. Then had a couple of other good plays. Just needs to get some consistency going to help with his confidence. You can see he has the tool set. He’s just got to get better at using them.
He has no twitch. He needs a year of 300 box jumps a day with band resistance.. He also needs hand strength. Whatever Oscar did for his hand strength, he needs to follow that program. . He could be good buts he’s got work to do.

These aren't the game threads...these are two threads about him. I'm just defending him.

I'm sure you all criticizing a 20 year old have ALWAYS been soooo perfect!

Your life has been a bed of roses, your perfect in every possible way.
giphy.gif

Reactions: UK90
Early in the first half during a timeout he looked winded going back to the bench. No one else on the team did. Makes me wonder if he is in shape. Or sometimes when you are too hyped you extend more energy than you need.
You can tell he’s never done the type of weight work he needed too. I guarantee he’s winded and yes he’s not the most athletic player. He can still be a good player but he needs time in college and to get in the gym a lot.

Reactions: UK-chulo
I’ll agree that he looks little out of game shape. Doesn’t make sense seeing we are halfway through the season. I’m not bashing the kid, I like him and think he still has the ability to be really good if he figures it out. But he needs to change his mindset and learn how to fight. Probably all in his head at this point. Fight hard - rebounding, defense, physicality. Points will come if he can do other things to right the ship. I’m pulling for him big time.
I agree, 50% mental and 50% conditioning IMO.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
But anyways the posts about him being Cal’s boy are nonsense. Dude has been playing about 16 MPG during conference. When Adou gets back it will probably be lower unless he has a good game. Exactly the type minutes he should be playing. I for one hope he does the smart thing and returns as a sophomore.

But anyways the posts about him being Cal’s boy are nonsense. Dude has been playing about 16 MPG during conference. When Adou gets back it will probably be lower unless he has a good game. Exactly the type minutes he should be playing. I for one hope he does the smart thing and returns as a sophomore.
What conclusions would you expect people to reach when Edwards continues to start, while being one of the weakest links on the team?

Or, to put it another way: why do you suppose he continues to start both halves?

How and why do you exactly see that? What has the kid shown in 16 games to make you think he would have a really big year if he stayed till he was a senior?

Nobody wants him to fail, but an honest and pretty factual critique of his game would say the following:
1. Not as skilled as expected.
2. Not as strong as expected.
3. Not in shape as expected.
4. Not mentally strong as expected.
5. Not very good hands.
5. Has zero dog in him.
6. Has been blocked by the rim at least 3 times this season.

So the kid was a great high school player, I guess. Doesn't mean he is going to amount to anything at UK. And so far, he's only getting minutes because he's one of Calipari's boys and Adou has some mysterious injury that is keeping him out of games. I think Edwards is what he is, and I think there is a better chance he turns into Whitney than he does PJ. Would not be surprised if he gets an injury very soon.
Because I can see a skill set there. I don't think he can have a PJ sophomore year, per se, but he could be far more effective in a year two. I think he's realizing he's not what he thought he was. If he can put in the work, I think he can be an effective 3 level scorer in year two. Just my two cents.

Because I can see a skill set there. I don't think he can have a PJ sophomore year, per se, but he could be far more effective in a year two. I think he's realizing he's not what he thought he was. If he can put in the work, I think he can be an effective 3 level scorer in year two. Just my two cents.
I agree, you can see why he was rated highly. It just hasn’t translated for whatever reason. One is strength for sure.

Reactions: MbergCat
Well I agree with that, but you know what, I think he saw 3 months ago that he was not what he thought he was.
If he wants it, we will all see improvement, if not, he will stay the same.

The “fans” actively rooting for him to fail are a joke and a bunch of losers.
Who in the hell us rooting for him to fail??? He could be a big cog in a FF/NC team. The team needs for him to bow his back and step up to the plate! Never saw him in hs, but but there must be a lot of talent in there somewhere or he wouldn't have gotten all the accolades he got. Start the season as the #1
Edwards misses a lot of close in shots in close. I don't think he has a quick jump. His lack of game has been the biggest surprise to me this season.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree, 50% mental and 50% conditioning IMO.
I was watching him in one of the recent games. In deadball situations he is really struggling to get his wind. Everyone else looked relaxed taking deep breaths and he has a hard time. And this is in the first half. Feel for the kid. Sometimes you show up and realize you didn’t put in as much work as you wished. We’ve all been there.

I think there's a chance you could see a player like Edwards shut it down for the season. Not likely as of now, but if this continues towards the end of SEC play, and if his minutes get reduced to below 10.. He might figure "screw it, and start training/prepping to salvage any draft stock he has left".

I think this is a bigger possibility than we realize, and it honestly is a win/win for all parties. Jalen Johnson did this with Duke a few years back, more or less.
Don’t know about that but:

Last night during a 2nd half time out, he just stood near the bench with the walk-ons Instead of in the huddle listening to Cal.

Very bad look imo.

The good news is that even WITH Adou being out, Edwards only got 16 minutes last night. He may still be starting (not sure why), but he's sure not getting starter minutes.

He had the least amount of points of anyone who played yesterday.. and he was our HIGHEST rated recruit.. and our highest rated one in some time.

TBH, I'm low key glad he had another poor showing last night. We either need him to come alive, or prove to Cal why others should take his minutes. What we don't need is him scoring 10pts on 8 shots, making staff believe "maybe he's got it" as they continue to play a guy who just doesn't help us at the moment

Makes me think it is a confidence thing if Cal continues to start him. I just don't know how he could have played so well in last year that he garnered the attention of UK.

He must have shown something and maybe Cal thinks he can still find it if he's starting

I was watching him in one of the recent games. In deadball situations he is really struggling to get his wind. Everyone else looked relaxed taking deep breaths and he has a hard time. And this is in the first half. Feel for the kid. Sometimes you show up and realize you didn’t put in as much work as you wished. We’ve all been there.
I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m sure some of these kids coasted in High School. He obviously knew kinda what it takes from AAU but the games are so unorganized that he may have been able to get by with limited effort there too. College is a man’s game. Lots of guys who are in shape and strong. He can still be great but he realistically needs to return, he reminds me a bit of Poythress his freshman year. He could come back and really be a good player. Just not a lottery pick(1st round even) yet like he was rated.

So many UK fans have already written off Justin Edwards as a "bust" recruit, comparable to Skal Labissiere.

Skal was a refugee of the big Haitian earthquake. He came to the US unable to speak English. He played high school basketball at a small private school in Memphis. When he transferred to another small private school before his senior year, he was ruled ineligible. With such a sketchy high school career, the basis for his recruitment was primarily the look test.

Edwards, on the other hand, is the highly visible product of the Philly Public League. His mother is a former Player of the Year in Philadelphia and Justin has been closely scrutinized (and highly regarded) his entire basketball life. Whereas the sample size of Skal's basketball development was tiny, Justin's skills and athleticism were on wide and constant display to scouts, pundits, top college coaching staffs and the sporting media nationwide. Obviously, his adjustment to the college game has been a struggle. I for one, however, am not convinced that everyone who rated him a top 3 recruit completely missed the boat on his potential. UK fans should be encouraging him, not writing him off.

So many UK fans have already written off Justin Edwards as a "bust" recruit, comparable to Skal Labissiere.

Skal was a refugee of the big Haitian earthquake. He came to the US unable to speak English. He played high school basketball at a small private school in Memphis. When he transferred to another small private school before his senior year, he was ruled ineligible. With such a sketchy high school career, the basis for his recruitment was primarily the look test.

Edwards, on the other hand, is the highly visible product of the Philly Public League. His mother is a former Player of the Year in Philadelphia and Justin has been closely scrutinized (and highly regarded) his entire basketball life. Whereas the sample size of Skal's basketball development was tiny, Justin's skills and athleticism were on wide and constant display to scouts, pundits, top college coaching staffs and the sporting media nationwide. Obviously, his adjustment to the college game has been a struggle. I for one, however, am not convinced that everyone who rated him a top 3 recruit completely missed the boat on his potential. UK fans should be encouraging him, not writing him off.
Think there is a distinction to be made between written off and written off for the season. It’s clear he can play ball, but due to whatever factor(s) he’s not adjusted to playing with grown men like some of his peers have. Think most agree that coming back for his sophomore year would benefit him immensely. After this year no doubt strength and conditioning would be top priority during the offseason. But as a 20yo freshman odds are slim that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT