ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley smoke

I'd rather have Oats. Especially if Hurley wins #2 this year. Law of averages says that he will have a hard time winning many more than 2 titles.

I'd rather have Oats. Especially if Hurley wins #2 this year. Law of averages says that he will have a hard time winning many more than 2 titles.

I don't think it really changes the odds or makes Oats any more likely to win titles in the future compared to Hurley.

This. And he might not be as hungry.

When we won in 2012 what happened the next year? NIT. You could say Cal wasn't nearly as hungry after that first one (well that and the fact we lost everyone and had a crappy recruiting class coming in).

Hurley won a title last year. He's back in the title game this year. I don't think hunger is really an issue here. If he didn't lose it after the first one I have a hard time thinking number 2 would magically change things.

His pregame talk sure didn’t sound like one NCAA Championship was enough - “We are not done yet”

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think Lute Olsen announced he wasn't a candidate for the UK job every other year, and got raises every time he did it. Even when the UK job wasn't open. Seems like Rick Barnes did it a couple times too. I don't think either were ever called.

Seriously how does anyone on this message board really know that Hurley won’t come here….. The answer not a one of us don’t….. I guess we will see soon enough how this all shakes out…..

I'd say offer him 15 million a year for either a 3 or 5 year deal and a 5 million bonus for every time he reaches a Final Four.

Probably can't go that high.. but it's the right idea. We have to overspend if we want him and make a portion of that salary tied to reaching every level in the NCAa tournament. 50k for a 1st round win, 100k for a 2nd round, etc etc. Hurley can stand to make another, say, 20% in bonuses if he can win in March.

If it's anything about UConn offering him an extension, forget it. They were going to anyway. Tonight only changes the dollar amount. Hurley stays at UConn.
They have no ad to negotiate a deal for him is my understanding. And no way can uconn pay this man what UK can. As a matter of fact UCOnn may be fine if their coach uses uk as leverage. Fine as in they will let him go. The hurleys know the UK gig is the pinnacle of cbb.

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy
Seriously how does anyone on this message board really know that Hurley won’t come here….. The answer not a one of us don’t….. I guess we will see soon enough how this all shakes out…..
None of us actually know the guy as far as I’m aware, much less his inner thoughts. Message boards are for talking though, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying he’s extremely unlikely to be our next coach. It’s unprecedented for a coach to leave for another college job fresh off a championship, much less back to back if he wins tonight. He also has deep roots in the Northeast. Nothing about it really adds up unless you assume he’s really only concerned with getting as much money as humanly possible. Even then, it’s unclear for now how much we’d outbid UConn by.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This. I don’t know why people still say these absolutes and never learn. Just 2 days ago these same guys thought Calipari wouldn’t leave UK and the pressure didn’t matter. Imagine had you told them he’d take Arkansas! They would have laughed you off the board. Some of them.

Guys, stop assuming you understand these things, we don’t. Just like Calipari wouldn’t be able to stay here under the pressure, many thought he would. He couldn’t. The list goes on and on. These are business decisions in that they’re very fluid, it moves fast and you really can’t know what is going to happen.

Learn this, there are no absolutes in this business. We could end up with Pope, we could end up with Hurley. There’s no way to predict what these guys will do. They do NOT think like you and I. Different breeds. Don’t assume anything.

One other thing to keep in mind. UConn will not be joining the major conferences during the next shifts. That’s a huge financial difference moving forward. These coaches already know how much difference this will make and if Hurley cares about that it’s enough to send him out of there. Nobody knows.
You would have been laughed off the board and leading the way are the radio talking heads!

I think some are underestimating Uconns status as a basketball program, and what they are willing to pay him. I don't see a scenario where UK is actually able and willing to give him .ore than 20% over what uconn is giving him. I believe he's already getting 7.5mil (including winning incentives) at Uconn now and we know they are going to up it. Kentucky is probably going to have to get to 11 or even 12mil to have a shot.. Unless Hurley really wants to come here.

I still think Hurley is a long shot.. and I also think there's still to many people who have this "you need UK we, don't need you" mentality.

When we won in 2012 what happened the next year? NIT. You could say Cal wasn't nearly as hungry after that first one (well that and the fact we lost everyone and had a crappy recruiting class coming in).

Hurley won a title last year. He's back in the title game this year. I don't think hunger is really an issue here. If he didn't lose it after the first one I have a hard time thinking number 2 would magically change things.
I really don’t think that’s a fair comparison because Hurley can actually coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT