ADVERTISEMENT

HS State Finals

Thanks NoDef, I'll remember him. Are you a Bobcat fan?

Not from Bell. Saw him last year playing basketball. Tremendous athlete. I watched a little of the game on Facebook last night and he had some impressive runs.

powers that be don't want to change it for some reason, so the small county schools will still struggle competing with the inner city rich private schools.

There was talk many years ago about putting them in a separate class when the privates started to win some round ball titles. Apparently a decision like this has to go through some board of controls in the KHSAA. To assure this never happened the state legislature made some moves that forced the KHSAA to put private school members on the board making it impossible for the separate classes to ever happen. The privates run the show in Frankfort.

Reactions: Poetax and katwest
There’s too many counties in ky and that creates the need for so many divisions. On the good side it allows champions that would never have a chance otherwise. Some dominate lower division schools wouldn’t have a single title if everybody played for one title. I just wished the games were televised on local delay or something, I would watch that.

Reactions: JASUN74
Just curious for those that follow high school football closely, are there any future player names on these playoff teams that we might want to listen for?

Mike Mayer from Cov. Cath headed to Notre Dame (his brother AJ is a QB at Miami OH and plays with a few other CCH kids there)
Lucas Jones (son of former Cat Olineman Barry Jones) headed to Cornell.
Had an opportunity to coach both these fine young men as Freshmen- wonderful kids and family.

Watched Bowling Green/ Cov Cath last night. As big a stud as Mayer is at TE, I think he makes an even larger impact on defense and a big reason teams can’t run on CCH. I think the only hope is getting the edge. He’s too disruptive from his MLB spot. Personally I could see him putting on 30-40 lbs and being a monster DE some day.

Jones just has great footwork- runs like a deer for a guy at Left Tackle.

Should be a good game with Frederick Douglas who boasts a slew of D1 kids themselves.

Go Johnson Central!!! :cool2: [banana]

They beat the brakes off my Madisonville Maroons. Not that it matter, but making MNHHS travel 300 miles a day after Thanksgiving was a bit much. Of the 4 playoff games, and they had to travel in 3 of them. How did Jeriah Hightower look against JC ? Last week against Franklin Simpson, he had 37 carries 324 yards and 6 TD's.

Paintsville Tigers and Johnson Central Golden Eagles, both from Johnson County. Good job players, coaches, and and the support both teams get in Paintsville and Johnson County.

Mike Mayer from Cov. Cath headed to Notre Dame (his brother AJ is a QB at Miami OH and plays with a few other CCH kids there)
Lucas Jones (son of former Cat Olineman Barry Jones) headed to Cornell.
Had an opportunity to coach both these fine young men as Freshmen- wonderful kids and family.

Watched Bowling Green/ Cov Cath last night. As big a stud as Mayer is at TE, I think he makes an even larger impact on defense and a big reason teams can’t run on CCH. I think the only hope is getting the edge. He’s too disruptive from his MLB spot. Personally I could see him putting on 30-40 lbs and being a monster DE some day.

Jones just has great footwork- runs like a deer for a guy at Left Tackle.

Should be a good game with Frederick Douglas who boasts a slew of D1 kids themselves.

Thanks Bluedad.

I recall when Johnson Central began their football program in the late '60's. They were really bad but started to turn things around under Ed "Teenie" Vanhoose in the mid-'70's. Definitely a powerhouse now.

School opened in 1968, started football in the fall of 1970. JC had a few good seasons, but nothing consistent until Matney got there, 2004 I believe. Paintsville, a 1A school, regularly kicked our tails in the Apple Bowl, until Matney arrived. After a few beat downs, PHS decided it was no longer in their best interest to play JC any longer.

Matney made a believer out of me that coaching could make a bigger difference than I ever thought it could. My grandson played U10 baseball for him this past summer, great guy too. Expects your best though.

Reactions: Big_Blue_Blaster
They beat the brakes off my Madisonville Maroons. Not that it matter, but making MNHHS travel 300 miles a day after Thanksgiving was a bit much. Of the 4 playoff games, and they had to travel in 3 of them. How did Jeriah Hightower look against JC ? Last week against Franklin Simpson, he had 37 carries 324 yards and 6 TD's.

Hightower had a good game, stats I saw he had 153 yards on 32 carries. JC had around 5 take aways. A long bus ride would definitely be tough on a team.

School opened in 1968, started football in the fall of 1970. JC had a few good seasons, but nothing consistent until Matney got there, 2004 I believe. Paintsville, a 1A school, regularly kicked our tails in the Apple Bowl, until Matney arrived. After a few beat downs, PHS decided it was no longer in their best interest to play JC any longer.

Matney made a believer out of me that coaching could make a bigger difference than I ever thought it could. My grandson played U10 baseball for him this past summer, great guy too. Expects your best though.
I thought they actually started football in '68 or so. However, I do recall my father telling me that as bad as they were initially, they would someday be the best around. I know all about Paintsville and Walter Brugh, as I went to HS at Prestonsburg. I know quite a few people that went to JC, including Howard and Mike Wallen.

I wish we offered a walk on spot to Ryan Miller from Trinity. All he does is catch the ball, in tough spots. He has led the team in receiving for the past three years, one which had poor QB production.

Coaching is a huge difference maker at the high school level. These guys that do really good year after year just out coach 3/4 of the teams in their schedule. In the years they have the talent they make it to the championship. I've seen high school coaches at small schools graduate 3/4 of a good years top players and turn around and win 9-10 games the next year. They can't win the state with a down group but the coaching on the other side is so bad they will out scheme 9-10 of the other coaches. There is a whole lot of bad coaches at Kentucky High Schools .

I thought they actually started football in '68 or so. However, I do recall my father telling me that as bad as they were initially, they would someday be the best around. I know all about Paintsville and Walter Brugh, as I went to HS at Prestonsburg. I know quite a few people that went to JC, including Howard and Mike Wallen.
I think the first Apple Bowl was in the 60’s. Tiny Vanhoose was JCs first good coach. He used to coach Boyd County. I think the first Apple Bowl was in 1969. Makes no sense that Paintsville would play JC. I think their less than 100 boys in the whole school. Haha

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
I'd like to see the 3 D1 recruits on Frederick Douglas flip to UK, sad we can't get any of them. Gotta keep these boys in state. No excuse for it.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
1A

Paintsville (11-3) vs. Pikeville (13-0)

2A

Mayfield (13-1) vs. Somerset (13-1)

3A

Belfry (10-3) vs. Bell County (14-0)

4A

Johnson Central (14-0) vs. Boyle County (14-0)

5A

Frederick Douglass (14-0) vs. Covington Catholic (14-0)

6A

Trinity (12-2) vs. Male (14-0)
Go Shamrocks!!!

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
As a Trinity grad the recruiting BS never gets old. Lets decide which school has a bigger recruiting advantage?

A Free tuition Pub. or $14K per Year Trinity?

It is such a stupid argument. Everyone at Male next week is on a taxpayer paid scholarship.

Reactions: lsvljoe
As a Trinity grad the recruiting BS never gets old. Lets decide which school has a bigger recruiting advantage?

It is such a stupid argument. Everyone at Male next week is on a taxpayer paid scholarship.

So every athlete in the school is paying $14,000 a year for an education? If so, they must be a lot of rich athletes in Louisville. Trinity is offering a scholarship + the choice to kick out any disruptive kid in the classroom. Public schools can't pick and choose who they allow in. Who can offer a better learning environment? That's an unfair advantage in itself.

So every athlete in the school is paying $14,000 a year for an education? Trinity is offering a scholarship + the choice to kick out any disruptive kid in the classroom. Public schools can't pick and choose who they allow in. Who can offer a better learning environment? That's an unfair advantage in itself.

So a public schools crappy learning environment is the problem? Maybe improve your learning environment (job 1) and more kids will accept the taxpayer scholarship. Dont blame us for your mess.

Cry me a river rich boy.

So a public schools crappy learning environment is the problem? Maybe improve your learning environment (job 1) and more kids will accept the taxpayer scholarship. Dont blame us for your mess.

When you have to accept everyone that comes with the territory. You wouldn't know that coming from a rich private school. Probably the most disruptive kids at Trinity is the best athletes since they are the only kids from the other side of the tracks.

Go Male Bulldogs! As far as the Trinity grad advising that it is easier for public schools then the private schools that is a laugher. You know as well as I do that if the school wants a player there will be some sort of "scholarship" just happen to show up for said player. The kids who go to the private schools have alot of options that the public school kids do not. Their parents have extra money for trainers etc while many of the public school kids parents are having a hard enough time making the bills let alone extras for sports for their kids. To say that Trinity is a worse situation to have to recruit in then Male is just ridiculous. Smh....

We dont do the crying. Just the winning. Its not our fault we have dedication and of course 1250+ boys to choose from. THAT is the biggest advantage.

So you just admitted that Trinity does have an advantage when your whole argument earlier claimed that they didn't. And you were whining by basically saying that all those stupid poor kids get to go to school for free while your parents had to pay for your education. Get over yourself man.

Reactions: twindaddy2003+1
Go Male Bulldogs! As far as the Trinity grad advising that it is easier for public schools then the private schools that is a laugher. You know as well as I do that if the school wants a player there will be some sort of "scholarship" just happen to show up for said player. The kids who go to the private schools have alot of options that the public school kids do not. Their parents have extra money for trainers etc while many of the public school kids parents are having a hard enough time making the bills let alone extras for sports for their kids. To say that Trinity is a worse situation to have to recruit in then Male is just ridiculous. Smh....

Thank you! I teach at a school with low income kids and for some asshole to suggest that the kind of kids I teach have a bigger advantage in life than the rich kids that attend a private school is utterly ridiculous.

Private schools recruit. Couple that with the fact that private schools in Louisville recruit Jefferson County, as well as from surrounding counties. And this is why you have this type of discrepancy. Not to mention, a school like North Hardin, a public school, is coed like any normal public school. Then you’ve got a private school like Trinity that has the same number of students or more, who all happen to be male.
Private school apologists say they do not recruit when, in fact, by virtue of being a private school, they must recruit/advertise, etc... They certainly have a much larger attendance district than a public school

Jim Matney is a quality man. If I had a son playing hs football, I'd want him to be coached by Matney.

So you just admitted that Trinity does have an advantage when your whole argument earlier claimed that they didn't. And you were whining by basically saying that all those stupid poor kids get to go to school for free while your parents had to pay for your education. Get over yourself man.

I said some recruiting boogey man is BS. Its numbers certainly. More boys. Plus it frankly tries harder and outworks everyone else. Beatty runs a college style program.

PLUS we have a CSAA feeder system where kids play from 1st grade on. Those are advantages but not "recruiting."

Private school apologists say they do not recruit when, in fact, by virtue of being a private school, they must recruit/advertise, etc... They certainly have a much larger attendance district than a public school

UHA won a state basketball championship with an enrollment of less than 50 one year. They somehow had three or four D-1 players among that 50, but no there isn't an advantage. If offering a free private education isn't an advantage then why are the "rich folks" paying $14,000 a year to stay away from the "common folk"?

They recruit students. Everyone of its student population had a chance to accept a taxpayer scholarship to the nearby pub. Parents however decided it was better for their sons to become Rocks. A wise choice indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT