Bluegrass State
1A

Paintsville (11-3) vs. Pikeville (13-0)

2A

Mayfield (13-1) vs. Somerset (13-1)

3A

Belfry (10-3) vs. Bell County (14-0)

4A

Johnson Central (14-0) vs. Boyle County (14-0)

5A

Frederick Douglass (14-0) vs. Covington Catholic (14-0)

6A

Trinity (12-2) vs. Male (14-0)

Where are these games being played? WKU or Lexington? Can’t remember.
6A should be played here in Louisville so more people would attend.

Just curious for those that follow high school football closely, are there any future player names on these playoff teams that we might want to listen for?

Just curious for those that follow high school football closely, are there any future player names on these playoff teams that we might want to listen for?
Izayah Cummings is a BIG receiver at Male and the Jackson Hensley kid (also WR) at Pikeville is possibly a PWO who seems to be a decent little ball player.

Everyone of those games is going to be a great game. I can’t wait.

UK doesn't recruit them anyway so it doesn't matter much. Boyle County has one player going to West Virginia and another committed to Notre Dame.

That’s insane. I understand there are small schools and big schools. So you need divisions. 6 though? 9?????!! Good grief.

Tennessee separates it public and privates too, so three of those 9 are private divisions. A quick search shows they would have probably about the same amount of public football playing schools as Kentucky in those six classes. I agree too many divisions in both states..

Tennessee separates it public and privates too, so three of those 9 are private divisions. A quick search shows they would have probably about the same amount of public football playing schools as Kentucky in those six classes. I agree too many divisions in both states..
That's what Kentucky needs to do, when private schools win 3 or 4 of the 6 state championships it's time to make a change.

The new playoff format has gave some great state finals matchups. Hopefully they all end up as good as they should be on paper. Most years state semis has been better than finals, so let’s hope that changes

That's what Kentucky needs to do, when private schools win 3 or 4 of the 6 state championships it's time to make a change.

I’ve always wondered if they might do that, and what happened last night in the Trinity/North Hardin game is evidence as to why it probably should happen. North Hardin was 13-0 and got blasted 54-7. If the discrepancy is that great between a private school and an undefeated public school, it’s probably time to make a change.

Go Johnson Central!!! :cool2: [banana]
I recall when Johnson Central began their football program in the late '60's. They were really bad but started to turn things around under Ed "Teenie" Vanhoose in the mid-'70's. Definitely a powerhouse now.

Reactions: lazycat75
I’ve always wondered if they might do that, and what happened last night in the Trinity/North Hardin game is evidence as to why it probably should happen. North Hardin was 13-0 and got blasted 54-7. If the discrepancy is that great between a private school and an undefeated public school, it’s probably time to make a change.

Private schools recruit. Couple that with the fact that private schools in Louisville recruit Jefferson County, as well as from surrounding counties. And this is why you have this type of discrepancy. Not to mention, a school like North Hardin, a public school, is coed like any normal public school. Then you’ve got a private school like Trinity that has the same number of students or more, who all happen to be male.

I think that is part of the reason they moved it to six classes. Privates was winning 75% of the football titles. When they went to six classes half of the classifications didn't have any prominent private schools in them so it assured that public's would win some of the titles.

Private schools recruit. Couple that with the fact that private schools in Louisville recruit Jefferson County, as well as from surrounding counties. And this is why you have this type of discrepancy. Not to mention, a school like North Hardin, a public school, is coed like any normal public school. Then you’ve got a private school like Trinity that has the same number of students or more, who all happen to be male.

Yeah I know Trinity, St. X, etc can all recruit which gives them an automatic advantage, but you’d think an undefeated large public school could still be more competitive than a 54-7 beatdown in the state semifinals.

Reactions: ram1955 and Mike-D
Izayah Cummings is a BIG receiver at Male and the Jackson Hensley kid (also WR) at Pikeville is possibly a PWO who seems to be a decent little ball player.
I was at the first Trinity-Male game and the one and only reason Male won was because of Cummings. They just kept throwing the ball up so he could go grab it.

It's an unfair advantage. Privates can offer scholarships and you can't blame the parents for taking them. Private schools can pick and choose who they let in and the public schools have to educate everyone. The learning environment has to be better when the only people sitting in the class are those with parents that are paying for them to be there or athletes. If the athlete or anyone else causes trouble they can just get rid of them. It's unfair that a school can offer that plus a scholarship .

Yeah I know Trinity, St. X, etc can all recruit which gives them an automatic advantage, but you’d think an undefeated large public school could still be more competitive than a 54-7 beatdown in the state semifinals.

That's just football. Only a handful of good teams (if that) in each class. The coaches can pretty much tell you before the season starts how far in the playoff they will go and it's usually a beat down when they get eliminated. I talked to a coach a couple of years ago that scripted out the season just perfect. They blew out every team they played and was 6-0 going into week 7 against the top team in the district. They lost by 50 in that one. He said that would happen and what round of the playoff they would be eliminated in.

Bama and Clemson pretty much have the same type of paths most years. Have to play one or two real games and the rest are laughers. That's the reason they changed the high school playoff format to seeding. Most classes only have one or two teams with a real chance of winning it, so instead of having that game in the semis they might now meet in the finals.

Last edited:
Let's go Bell County Bob kittens!
2009 undefeated State Champs :)
(we did it in 4a against Boyle, central ect though.
10 years later Undefeated State Champs? .

I'll wear my ring on Friday for good luck.

A lot of the Catholic schools come up with good teams every year with tranfers SOMEHOW, along with FT. Campbell. In FT. Campbell's case it depends on who the Commander is, if he is a soccer guy they will be good in soccer. If he is a football guy they will be good in football. I don't know if it's still this way but Fort Campbell and Fort Knox used to be the only military bases with high school football in the country so it's easy to see how that works. When Caldwell County played Newport Catholic a few years ago for the 2A championship a man in the press box told me half of the kids from Newport Catholic come from Ohio. I don't know if it's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me. I remember seeing Hancock County play Beechwood for the 1A state championship when Hancock had Travis Atwell, no way it was a fair game. Beechwood had 75 players to Hancock's 30. Beechwood destroyed them. The 2 teams could have played 10 times and it would have been the same way, money can buy the best teams, it is and has been a big problem for years. The powers that be don't want to change it for some reason, so the small county schools will still struggle competing with the inner city rich private schools.

UK doesn't recruit them anyway so it doesn't matter much. Boyle County has one player going to West Virginia and another committed to Notre Dame.

You do have to remember that this program for a lot of these kids was a dumpster fire before Stoops and even 3 years into his time here. Kids, even in Kentucky don't want to play for a loser, not every Kentucky kid has a home heart like Kash Daniels and other Kentucky kids who have come here. I do think the mindset is changing and that we will become the place that they check out first before deciding on a program to attend.

ADVERTISEMENT