ADVERTISEMENT

How long will the UK brass be patient with John Calipari?

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
Kyle Tucker gave this opinion:

Not just since the national title. It’s been three straight years without even an SEC championship. Kentucky has only won one regular-season and one conference tournament title in the last six seasons. Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee all have multiple SEC titles in that time. Arkansas has won eight NCAA Tournament games since 2020. Kentucky has won one. So the Wildcats have fallen behind not just in national relevance, but in the pecking order of a league it has won a record 51 times. That, to me, makes this a critical season for Calipari. Failure to make the second weekend of the dance for a fourth straight year would surely make the school and its boosters begin to wonder if ponying up that giant buyout might be worth it.

https://theathletic.com/4796440/202...ball-basketball-mailbag-devin-leary-calipari/

I'm sure they've ALREADY lost patience with Cal. But losing patience and actually doing something about it are two completely different things.

I lost patience with him years ago, but last I checked, I have no say in the matter. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we have different results soon. But isn't that the definition of insanity?

About time someone in the media and close to the program spoke openly and honestly about the recent performance of Cal. There is no more smoke and mirrors or Calspeak to hide behind.

We are what our record says we are over the past six season. We have a solid accidental roster that came together in the late going. Can Cal win with this roster? will the players who are here play? These are questions that should never be asked at UK, yet they have been asked repeatedly over the past 2 or 3 years.

The last three years have been lacking in many ways. Cal will need this team to come out firing from the very start. If the ooc is anything like last season, the grumbling will just continue to grow louder.

Win the big ooc games, avoid bad losses, and then lets see what this team can do going into SEC play.

I think the pieces are there for a good team, but there are a lot of variables and unknowns right now.

So the Wildcats have fallen behind not just in national relevance, but in the pecking order of a league it has won a record 51 times.

That's the saddest part. UK isn't really even king of the conference anymore.
But I like this team if Bradshaw and Ugo get healthy. That said, this is a year where Cal has to produce.

you would think some are smart enough to wait until this season plays out
but i guess they have to get their digs in now because they may not be able to later
We have all watched the past few seasons play out, maybe this one will be different but that doesn't change what Cal has done/not done recently. He has let the program down.

Positive for the year, he exactly the type of team that he’s been most successful with… all the pieces are there for a deep run.

Negatives-same sentence. I suggest anything less than an E8 run and the fanbase will be more rabid than ever.
E8 with a SEC Title would be ok, enough to save his behind but it really should be FF.

Miss winning the SEC though, and it's FF or bust. If Cal can't get to the E8 with this group he should hang it up.

imo Cal gets 2 more years before any buyout.Next year roster build is going to be interesting Cal wil need to crush the portal. The way he waits on players to do their thing could be his downfall.

No doubt Cal’s teams have egregiously underperformed in recent years, but this moment, with this roster, seems like a strange time to be planting this flag.
No, it doesn't, if you have been paying attention. When is the last time Cal said "I failed the program. We had the talent. The players didn't have their coach. That changes going forward"??? That's right, it's never Cal's fault. It's always freak injuries, bad luck, weird recruiting years, bad referees, bad draws in tournament. This year is the PERFECT year to bring this to light. Put up or shut up. We're watching. The fans are watching. The university is watching.

I believe we've been patient enough. I hope Calipari does well this year and every year, but I just don't know that he has the drive anymore. I think he wants that money but not so much the grind that goes with it. I don't know how much money a man needs, but he sure acts miserable from where I sit. He don't like being questioned on things and he has a very think skin and the things he said he wanted when he first arrived in Lexington don't line up with the things he says or does now.

I know Cal lovers will bash Cal haters and the Haters will bash the lovers so I just try to stay out of all that shit. If he can win and win big I want him. If he can't, I just want him to go on. I don't have much faith or confidence in the man anymore. I don't think he gives a damn. I also don't like people that have attitudes like Calipari who talks all that shit and then if he can't back it up he wants you to feel sorry for him, but as soon as he wins a couple of games he is back up barking. Fans want to win. So when he signed up to coach here he already knew what went with it. He could've stayed at Memphis if he just wanted to put kids in the League. Nobody would be mad there if they don't win or go to Final Fours. If UK was your dream job you can't get mad and be thin skinned when ppl get on you when you not producing.

We have all watched the past few seasons play out, maybe this one will be different but that doesn't change what Cal has done/not done recently. He has let the program down.
no doubt since the IQ, Maxey, Richards team we have not had the product we all desire
for the most part Cal gave the fans what they wanted in older experienced players
that has not worked out very well

this years team has a couple of experienced players and a whole lot of high end young talent
basically the type of team where Cal is at his best

If you thought the media firestorm when we forced Tubby out was bad, can you imagine if we forced a hall of fame, championship coach with multiple final fours and a coach who has taken three teams to the final 4 out the door?! Don't get me wrong, I've been a Cal fan but the last few years have been unacceptable but to think that UK is going to fire the guy is just words. It will not happen.

Reactions: Mulder14
no doubt since the IQ, Maxey, Richards team we have not had the product we all desire
for the most part Cal gave the fans what they wanted in older experienced players
that has not worked out very well

this years team has a couple of experienced players and a whole lot of high end young talent
basically the type of team where Cal is at his best
Fair points, I think Cal tried to go to the cutting edge of the transfer portal the same way he did with OAD(just to prove he could) NIL has cost Cal in ways he couldn't foresee(nor could anyone else) His desire to be the "great innovator" caught up with him. I disagree that Cal has any interest in "giving the fans what they want" I think this team has a chance to be one of Cal's best if they stay healthy and individual agendas don't get in the way

If you thought the media firestorm when we forced Tubby out was bad, can you imagine if we forced a hall of fame, championship coach with multiple final fours and a coach who has taken three teams to the final 4 out the door?! Don't get me wrong, I've been a Cal fan but the last few years have been unacceptable but to think that UK is going to fire the guy is just words. It will not happen.
Cal would never be outright fired, barring something crazy. But stuff can always be negotiated behind the scenes.

Football coaches with titles have been let go a couple season removed from their title. So it’s not something crazy in the sports world.

Lets just hope this season UK can get back to winning basketball and these convos can be put on the back burner.

So the Wildcats have fallen behind not just in national relevance, but in the pecking order of a league it has won a record 51 times.

That's the saddest part. UK isn't really even king of the conference anymore.
But I like this team if Bradshaw and Ugo get healthy. That said, this is a year where Cal has to produce.

Those days are over regardless of coach IMO.

SEC is way deeper and stronger than the past.

All that said, need to win the SEC this season.

No doubt Cal’s teams have egregiously underperformed in recent years, but this moment, with this roster, seems like a strange time to be planting this flag.
I think it’s fine. Going off your point, if he has another disappointing season by UK standards, with this roster, it’s time to move on for sure.

He has absolutely sucked in recent years. Hopefully Wagner and Edwards are those type of guys that can carry Cal.

Those days are over regardless of coach IMO.

SEC is way deeper and stronger than the past.

All that said, need to win the SEC this season.
Should be nobody in the East that can touch us, with maybe the exception of the ever present thorn of UT.

Now, the West that's a different story. Ole Miss should be good. Arky will be a pain as always. Auburn with Pearl is never a given. LSU with Murray's coach will continue to get better. SEC West is pretty dang good.

Kyle Tucker gave this opinion:

Not just since the national title. It’s been three straight years without even an SEC championship. Kentucky has only won one regular-season and one conference tournament title in the last six seasons. Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee all have multiple SEC titles in that time. Arkansas has won eight NCAA Tournament games since 2020. Kentucky has won one. So the Wildcats have fallen behind not just in national relevance, but in the pecking order of a league it has won a record 51 times. That, to me, makes this a critical season for Calipari. Failure to make the second weekend of the dance for a fourth straight year would surely make the school and its boosters begin to wonder if ponying up that giant buyout might be worth it.

https://theathletic.com/4796440/202...ball-basketball-mailbag-devin-leary-calipari/

Kyle just needs a hush about it.

This thread isn't about firing Cal. Did you even read it? Do you DISagree that this season is very important for Cal?

Reactions: jrpross
He needs to make the Elite Eight this year or I believe it will get very unpleasant for him and they would potentially look at negotiating a buyout. The buyout after this year is $33.67 over 5 years, or $6.7 million/year. Here are 3 names that have been mentioned on here as Cal's replacement and what their salary is in 2023:

Eric Musselman - $4.1 million
Nate Oats - $3.4 million
Danny Hurley - $2.9 million

The going rate for a big time coach at a big time program seems to be around $5 - $6 million a year. There are only 5 coaches in college basketball higher than that (Cal, Self, Izzo, Barnes and Pearl) and the other 4 are all below $6 million. I think they could offer a coach $6 million and their annual coaching expense, with the Cal buyout, is at $12.7 million. Crazy numbers, but only about $3 million more annually than what you're spending now.

The question UK would need to ask themselves if they feel the program doesn't get back on track this season....is $3 million annually worth it to move on from Cal?

imo Cal gets 2 more years before any buyout.Next year roster build is going to be interesting Cal wil need to crush the portal. The way he waits on players to do their thing could be his downfall.
and don't foregt the lifetime contract, lots of$$$$ involved to move him out.

Reactions: NociHTTP
If UK doesn't at least make it to the Final 4 with this class (based on what I've read on here), then Calipari should have a flamethrower blasting his ass at the end of the season.

So, is this BB Class as good as advertised? If so, a decent coach should get them to the F4. Let's wait and see how it plays out. Hopefully we are celebrating in early April!

you would think some are smart enough to wait until this season plays out
but i guess they have to get their digs in now because they may not be able to later
Strike one was 9-16.
Strike two was St. Peter's.

Last year was a foul tip.

Cal's in the batting box sitting on an 0-2 count, so it's only natural that the media is talking about the "next pitch", which happens to be the biggest coaching story of the season. Cal's literally on the hot seat, and you want the media to play nice and wait until they see "this season play out?"

That's not how it works, nor should it for a position that's worth $10 million/year at the most prestigious program in the nation.

Last edited:
It's simply put up or shut up time.
Produce or gtho.
Yet almost predictable as the sun rises this time next year, we will be seeing posts about how all our players just sucked and next year will be different. Every year now I'm just hoping for so much overwhelming talent in a class that it can compensate for Cal's inability to coach anymore. He at least used to be a good motivator. He doesn't seem to be that anymore. He used to be able to get a team to buy in and play lock down defense. He can't seem to do that anymore. He used to make good half time adjustments. He doesn't anymore. He at least used to figure out what the best combinations to play were. Now it's like a monkey trying to solve a Rubics cube and injuries end up making better decisions for him. He at least used to care like hanging a NC banner was our primary goal. Now I think when he stated that draft night was the most important thing, he meant it. I think he has gotten too wealthy fat, lazy and comfortable here. I blame Barnhart for a lot of this, but that is a different story. I'm just tired of the excuses for the downward trajectory we have been on for a few years now.

Far too long already in my opinion. Should have let him go to UCLA. We'd be much better off.

It’s hindsight though. I think he was supposedly offered by UCLA after 2019. Things didn’t look so bad then. And Barnhardt would have been crucified had he let that happen at the time. Shouldn’t have had to give him what he did to keep him though.

I’m more pissed at Cal for leveraging the ucla job to squeeze barnhardt. To me that was a dirty move that proved beyond a doubt at the end of the day Cal doesn’t and never will have any loyalty to Kentucky basketball. His only loyalty is to $$$

I'm sure they've ALREADY lost patience with Cal. But losing patience and actually doing something about it are two completely different things.

I lost patience with him years ago, but last I checked, I have no say in the matter. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we have different results soon. But isn't that the definition of insanity?
Yeah, don't expect much regardless of the talent level. Cal has shown the ability to squander unbelievable talent...not to mention the fact that he is guaranteed mega $$$$$ for years even for pathetic performance.

It’s hindsight though. I think he was supposedly offered by UCLA after 2019. Things didn’t look so bad then. And Barnhardt would have been crucified had he let that happen at the time. Shouldn’t have had to give him what he did to keep him though.

I’m more pissed at Cal for leveraging the ucla job to squeeze barnhardt. To me that was a dirty move that proved beyond a doubt at the end of the day Cal doesn’t and never will have any loyalty to Kentucky basketball. His only loyalty is to $$$
Good post. I think you nailed the reality of what we're dealing with.

Cal flirted with UCLA to squeeze our program. I get that every coach has to put themselves first, but I could never see Dean Smith or Coach K or Jim Boeheim flirting with UCLA the way Calipari did. Those guys all immersed themselves into the program so that the program became synonymous with their own lives.

Cal has never done that anywhere he's been. It's always been about his legacy with NBA guys. Kentucky is just a prop for him to promote himself in the eyes of the NBA elite.

Agree 1,000 percent, but blame Barney he threw the $$$ at Cal.

Reactions: Montana81
Positive for the year, he has exactly the type of team that he’s been most successful with… all the pieces are there for a deep run.

Negatives-same sentence. I suggest anything less than an E8 run and the fanbase will be more rabid than ever.
He needs at least a Final Four to win back the fan base. Elite Eights were the stuff of peak Tubby Smith/post Pitino's players Era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT