ADVERTISEMENT

How does Bama loss affect SEC bowl pecking order?

Won't mean anything if Georgia beats LSU in SEC championshp. If not, then yes, it will knock UK down a notch.

Disagree

There will be a combination of 4 SEC teams in the playoff and NY6. That's what it would have been if Alabama won or lost.

Reactions: stamperdes0202
Possibly not. The Orange bowl takes the next ACC team after Clemson, then the highest ranked of SEC, Big10 or Notre Dame.
So that's in play.

Disagree

There will be a combination of 4 SEC teams in the playoff and NY6. That's what it would have been if Alabama won or lost.

Yes, you may very well be right about that. I'm just not certain they get 3 teams in the NY6, if they don't have 2 in the playoff. But they easily could.

There will be at least 1 SEC team in the 4 team finals.
1 goes to the Sugar.
1 CAN go to the Orange as SEC#2 IF they are higher rated than a Big 10 or Notre Dame. As it stands now, The OSU would go to playoffs, team #2 would go to the Rose, and both Georgia and Alabama are rated ahead of the 3rd best Big10 team or Notre Dame.
The Cotton Bowl is now OPEN and takes this year the top group of 5 team and the highest ranking other school that is not already contracted out.
The Citrus and group of 6 come next.....

As of today, LSU, Georgia, likely Alabama and Florida could still be in that group of playoff/NY6 bowls.
That leaves 5 teams to fill the Citrus and the group of 6 bowls.....Auburn, Tennessee, aTm,Kentucky and Mississippi State.

Won't mean anything if Georgia beats LSU in SEC championshp. If not, then yes, it will knock UK down a notch.

I don't see how it does anything to UK's bowl projection. I am hopeful but realistically we aren't going to beat LSU, we are just not playing very well on offense the last half of the season. Add that to Swift left the game with an injury today, our leading receiver is out, our 2nd leading receiver was ejected in the 2nd half today, so an uphill battle. But likely the SEC has one in the playoff, 3 2 loss teams, and a 3 loss team, if Bama had won AU was still a 4 loss team and Bama isn't getting their Mulligan this year.

I would think UK is number 6,7 or 8 depending on how the 3 7-5 teams are ranked.

I don't see how it does anything to UK's bowl projection. I am hopeful but realistically we aren't going to beat LSU, we are just not playing very well on offense the last half of the season. Add that to Swift left the game with an injury today, our leading receiver is out, our 2nd leading receiver was ejected in the 2nd half today, so an uphill battle. But likely the SEC has one in the playoff, 3 2 loss teams, and a 3 loss team, if Bama had won AU was still a 4 loss team and Bama isn't getting their Mulligan this year.

I would think UK is number 6,7 or 8 depending on how the 3 7-5 teams are ranked.
We will be ranked lowest, bet on that. We will get respect when we earn it and idk if anyone aside from UK fans sees that this season if that’s the criteria.

Then the question becomes how are the Group of 6 bowls filled/ranked?

Gator pays the least, but most folks would prefer Florida to Charlotte.

I would assume Florida, Georgia, Bama and LSU Playoffs/NYD6, then Auburn Citrus.

Then you have 7-5 UT, UK and A & M.

A & M was Gator last year, so I would guess they go either Texas (big payout) or Outback. If they go Texas Bowl, that leaves us and UT for Outback. They beat us, so I say UT gets the Outback.

So if the if the Gator (low payout), Belk (higher payout) are left, which gets preference?

I have no fricken idea!

Reactions: catben

I would assume Florida, Georgia, Bama and LSU Playoffs/NYD6, then Auburn Citrus.

A & M was Gator last year, so I would guess they go either Texas (big payout) or Outback. If they go Texas Bowl, that leaves us and UT for Outback. They beat us, so I say UT gets the Outback.

So if the if the Gator (low payout), Belk (higher payout) are left, which gets preference?

I have no fricken idea!

Everything is about money in SEC football. So I'm going with biggest payouts until they show us differently. I still think the Outback is very possible just because we have been to the MCB in 5 of the last 9 bowls we've been selected for. At some point fans are going to be burnt out with Nashville. Compare that to UT who's only been there twice ever. The only negative for us is the last bowl UT went to was the MCB, but it was in 2016. We last went in 2017 though.

Reactions: The-Hack

I have no fricken idea!
LOL....what a change less than five years makes. Five years ago we werent going anywhere.
I truly think the league office steps up, kind of thinks about what the attendance and possible TV pull will be and throws em in there.
Since EVERY team gets an equal cut (participant gets what??? 2/14ths of a share instead of 1/14th???) where the teams go money wise really doesnt make a whole lotta difference....its kinda up to where you wanna go as players, who you wanna go against....and I will go out on skinny limb and say tonight that a&m ends up in the Texas Bowl and IF THEY CAN DO IT it will be against Texas. Those folks used to have some flat out wars.

Soooooooo.....I think Mississippi State pulls a bigger crowd if they go to Memphis....so Liberty bowl for them....I think they already have hit the Belk circuit.

Tennessee will likely be over-slotted into the Outback.....because I believe they think they're better than they are and dont want to stay in state and will BEG to go. Plus...they beat the Cats at the Cats home....and those orange devils travel well.

I thought Auburn was Citrus bound long ago and see no reason why they arent still.

Cats get the MCB/ Belk toss up since they played the Gator three years ago.

Alabama (just a wild guess} goes to the Cotton, Florida to the Orange Bowl, Georgia to the Sugar and LSU to the final four.

Even if Bama WERE to drop out of the NY6 run, I still see UK in that MCB/ Belk game. I REALLY thing the MCB folks are leery of UK having so many trips there and will juggle all they can to get Tennessee or aTm there.....but I doubt it happens.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
LOL....what a change less than five years makes. Five years ago we werent going anywhere.
I truly think the league office steps up, kind of thinks about what the attendance and possible TV pull will be and throws em in there.
Since EVERY team gets an equal cut (participant gets what??? 2/14ths of a share instead of 1/14th???) where the teams go money wise really doesnt make a whole lotta difference....its kinda up to where you wanna go as players, who you wanna go against....and I will go out on skinny limb and say tonight that a&m ends up in the Texas Bowl and IF THEY CAN DO IT it will be against Texas. Those folks used to have some flat out wars.

Soooooooo.....I think Mississippi State pulls a bigger crowd if they go to Memphis....so Liberty bowl for them....I think they already have hit the Belk circuit.

Tennessee will likely be over-slotted into the Outback.....because I believe they think they're better than they are and dont want to stay in state and will BEG to go. Plus...they beat the Cats at the Cats home....and those orange devils travel well.

I thought Auburn was Citrus bound long ago and see no reason why they arent still.

Cats get the MCB/ Belk toss up since they played the Gator three years ago.

Alabama (just a wild guess} goes to the Cotton, Florida to the Orange Bowl, Georgia to the Sugar and LSU to the final four.

Even if Bama WERE to drop out of the NY6 run, I still see UK in that MCB/ Belk game. I REALLY thing the MCB folks are leery of UK having so many trips there and will juggle all they can to get Tennessee or aTm there.....but I doubt it happens.

The payout isn't about the shares with what we are talking about. There are 2 group of 6 bowls not going to be filled. A $6 million bowl split between the conference is much better than a $3 million bowl split. That's $428k per share (at the 1/14th you mentioned) compared to $214k per. So Gator and either Liberty or Belk will likely be out if they are worried about finances.

Liberty and Belk are close in money and Memphis is very close to Starkville. That's why I think they end up adding Liberty to the MCB, Texas, and Outback. I could be totally wrong since they don't really have a defined selection process.

I think the auburn win may actually help UK. it's now possible for LSU, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Auburn to ALL be in the playoff or NY6. Auburn was 15 going in, played one of the hardest schedules in the country, i can easily see them going to top 12. if that happens, then you could have a 7-5 UT or A&M in the citrus bowl.

I have no fricken idea!
UT beat us, but they also lost to Georgia State. I know that was early and they finished strong but I hope that comes into play. I really want the Outback bad. I have free room and board in Clearwater.

I think the auburn win may actually help UK. it's now possible for LSU, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Auburn to ALL be in the playoff or NY6. Auburn was 15 going in, played one of the hardest schedules in the country, i can easily see them going to top 12. if that happens, then you could have a 7-5 UT or A&M in the citrus bowl.

There are only 3 slots in NY6 bowls available for SEC teams I believe. If so, the only way those 5 make it is with 2 in the playoffs and Auburn rising up into the top 12. Georgia would have to beat LSU for that to happen and it isn't very likely. I think Auburn is maxed out at Citrus. Unless FSU makes a big comeback and Auburn takes Florida's spot.

There are only 3 slots in NY6 bowls available for SEC teams I believe. If so, the only way those 5 make it is with 2 in the playoffs and Auburn rising up into the top 12. Georgia would have to beat LSU for that to happen and it isn't very likely. I think Auburn is maxed out at Citrus. Unless FSU makes a big comeback and Auburn takes Florida's spot.

That's not true. There are no limits on conference affiliation. There are no guarantees that a team will get into the NY6 if it's in the top 12, but there are also no limits to how many teams a conference can place in the games.

Somebody shot down the notion of Auburn making a 5th NYD6 team last week. Said that there were guarantees to at least one NYD6 bowl to take a B10 team, and with OSU being playoff, a lower ranked B10 team would likely eat the slot we hoped Auburn would fill, buuuut, if Georgia beat LSU, and both made the playoffs, we might get a fifth slot, as three NYD6 bowls have a place for an SEC team.

Frankly, at this time of year, it takes an accounting degree, a Ouija Board, and a shaman who likes football to figure it out. All I got is the shaman!

That's not true. There are no limits on conference affiliation. There are no guarantees that a team will get into the NY6 if it's in the top 12, but there are also no limits to how many teams a conference can place in the games.

Peach - Playoffs
Fiesta - Playoffs
Sugar - SEC vs Big 12
Orange - ACC vs SEC/Big 10/Notre Dame
Cotton - Group of 5/At Large
Rose - Pac 12 vs Big 10

I don't see anyway the SEC can get more than 4 without 2 in the playoffs.

Edit

As of right now without counting any games today, this appears to be the teams selected.

Peach - OhioSt vs Georgia
Fiesta - LSU vs Clemson
Sugar - Alabama vs Oklahoma
Orange - Virginia Tech(?) vs Penn St
Rose - Minnesota vs Utah
Cotton - Memphis vs Baylor

This is using the current bowl rankings and who would fit in those slots with the tie-ins. No matter who loses between LSU and Georgia I still see no way 5 teams get in from the SEC. I could be wrong though. Georgia likely drops to Sugar and Bama to Cotton.

I had to change some stuff because I was looking at the wrong ranking. Had Florida in the Orange but as of right now they are behind Penn St. We will see after the new rankings come out. So unfortunately, Florida drops down to Citrus and Auburn moves down into the group of 6 bowls. That means a bowl that wasn't going to be filled will be and we likely get knocked down a notch. Hopefully Florida passes Penn St or the Belk is likely in play for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: billoliver40
Peach - Playoffs
Fiesta - Playoffs
Sugar - SEC vs Big 12
Rose - Pac 12 vs Big 10

That's what I had seen as well. Playoffs, Sugar, a shot at Orange and Cotton ( things would have to play just right)

I think it's fun to read all the guessing as to what bowl we're going to. I have no idea, and don't care. I'm just happy to be going to a bowl. Before Coach Stoops got here, I asked, "What is a bowl." I though they were talking about what you put gravy in for breakfast. Now I find out the gravy is the money they pay the teams. Sort of like "Who's on First,"

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I think it's fun to read all the guessing as to what bowl we're going to. I have no idea, and don't care. I'm just happy to be going to a bowl. Before Coach Stoops got here, I asked, "What is a bowl." I though they were talking about what you put gravy in for breakfast. Now I find out the gravy is the money they pay the teams. Sort of like "Who's on First,"

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Absolutely. I can throw out guesses all day long and it means nothing.

When you look and see what this coaching staff had to overcome, 7 wins is mighty good. No matter I and a few hundred others were calling for changes and different play calls.

Actually probably a better coaching job than last year.

Peach - Playoffs
Fiesta - Playoffs
Sugar - SEC vs Big 12
Rose - Pac 12 vs Big 10

Edit

As of right now without counting any games today, this appears to be the teams selected.

Peach - LSU vs Georgia
Fiesta - Ohio St vs Clemson
Orange - Virginia Tech(?) vs Florida
Rose - Minnesota vs Oregon
Cotton - Utah vs Michigan

This is using the current bowl rankings and who would fit in those slots with the tie-ins. No matter who loses between LSU and Georgia I still see no way 5 teams get in from the SEC. I could be wrong though. Georgia likely drops to Sugar, Bama to Cotton, and Florida to the Orange. Might be able to reverse Florida and Bama since I don't know who picks first between the two bowls.
If UGa beats LSU and the SEC gets two in the play-offs I see no reason why the conference could also get three NY6 slots. You would need all of them ranked 10th or better I think. Very unlikely in my opinion. I believe the Orange picks an at large team before the Cotton. However not sure they can chose which SEC team to take if two are ranked above any Big-10 team remaining after the Rose picks a Big-10 team. They may have to take the highest ranked team.

Last edited:
Peach - Playoffs
Fiesta - Playoffs
Sugar - SEC vs Big 12
Rose - Pac 12 vs Big 10

Edit

Fiesta - LSU vs Clemson
Rose - Minnesota vs Oregon
Cotton - Utah vs Baylor

This is using the current bowl rankings and who would fit in those slots with the tie-ins. No matter who loses between LSU and Georgia I still see no way 5 teams get in from the SEC. I could be wrong though. Georgia likely drops to Sugar and Bama to Cotton.

I had to change some stuff because I was looking at the wrong ranking. Had Florida in the Orange but as of right now they are behind Penn St. We will see after the new rankings come out. So unfortunately, Florida drops down to Citrus and Auburn moves down into the group of 6 bowls. That means a bowl that wasn't going to be filled will be and we likely get knocked down a notch. Hopefully Florida passes Penn St or the Belk is likely in play for us.

Had to make changes again up above. Had the wrong ranking used for this.

Of course, by hoping that half the conference is NYD6, we are asking to punch up from our presumed weight class, and play a 9 or 10 win team in the Gator or Outback.

Give me two inches of rain, Lynn Bowden and a healthy O-line, and Dabo-By-Damn-Swinney can pick our bowl and meet us there!

C Bowl ges Group of 5, Boise or Memphis. UVA will go O Bowl, UGA or Bama 2 S Bowl, LSU 2 Final Four. Auburn 2 Cirus Bowl.
A&M vs Longhorns Lone Sar Bowl game, Vols 2 Ouback, UK 2 Gaor or Belk, MSU 2 Lib. Bowl

I think it’s actually top 10 because Virginia is going to get into the Orange Bowl, bumping one top 12 team out and a non-Power 5 team will get in from outside the top 12 too.

Do you (or anyone) know if they have to take the 10 highest ranked teams to fill the other New Years 6 slots?

Peach - Playoffs
Fiesta - Playoffs
Sugar - SEC vs Big 12
Rose - Pac 12 vs Big 10

Edit

Fiesta - LSU vs Clemson
Rose - Minnesota vs Utah
Cotton - Memphis vs Baylor

I think you're right in saying that the SEC would have to get two in the playoffs to get all five of the top teams into the playoffs / NY6. There are several "open" slots in the NY6 that are not tied to a conference: Orange (opposite the ACC), Cotton (opposite group of 5?). Then, the SEC also gets the Sugar bowl slot

C Bowl ges Group of 5, Boise or Memphis. UVA will go O Bowl, UGA or Bama 2 S Bowl, LSU 2 Final Four. Auburn 2 Cirus Bowl.
A&M vs Longhorns Lone Sar Bowl game, Vols 2 Ouback, UK 2 Gaor or Belk, MSU 2 Lib. Bowl
Id rather UK play in Gator than Belk.

I think it’s actually top 10 because Virginia is going to get into the Orange Bowl, bumping one top 12 team out and a non-Power 5 team will get in from outside the top 12 too.

Do you (or anyone) know if they have to take the 10 highest ranked teams to fill the other New Years 6 slots?
I suspect it's likely to be even lower than top 10. If Oregon beats Utah they will possibly not make the top ten but would still get the PAC-12's Rose Bowl slot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT