ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible tragedy in Texas - at least 14 kids dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question- has there ever been one of these shootings at a private school?

Are students at private schools in the United States less likely to experience violence on campus than those at public schools? Out of the 134 school shootings occurring between 2000 and 2018, 122 took place at public schools, while only 8 happened at private schools.

• Fund mental health services in this country.
  • Create CDC guidelines for how the media should cover mass shootings to prevent copycats. They have guidance for covering high profile suicides to prevent a contagion affect. No reason we can't do something similar for mass shootings and get CNN/Fox/MSNBC, etc. to agree to the guidelines.
  • Allow government funding for gun violence research and reverse the NRA lobbied Dickey Amendment that all but prevents the research. Let's take a look at the last three decades of mass shootings and figure out how the shooters got the guns. Did they break a current gun control law to get the gun? Would any currently proposed gun control law have actually stopped the person from getting the gun?
  • Stronger laws that hold people accountable for their guns. If a parent is irresponsible with their gun and a kid gets ahold of it and shoots someone, charge the parent with something.
  • Fund law enforcement so the currently written gun laws can actually be enforced.
  • Universal background checks, which is supported by almost 9 in 10 Americans.
Really like this post.

Mass shootings in relation to schools:

Results: There were 417 mass shootings in 2019 and 610 in 2020. The average distance from a mass shooting to the nearest public/private school was 0.52 miles in 2019 and 0.57 miles in 2020. Most mass shootings occurred within 0.30 miles of a school in 2019 and 0.40 miles in 2020. There was no significant association between average distance of a mass shooting to a public/private school and the population density in 2019 (P = .313) or 2020 (P = .351).

Steve Kerr speaks the truth.

Steve Kerr is a moron. Nothing he suggests would have saved a single life in that school if the shooter was highly motivated.

He’s another political hack that’s using tragedy to push an agenda. There are some ways to curve this problem. Attacking gun rights activists is not one of them.

You guys can keep pounding this drum all day long. Scream it LOUD. It’s not changing anything. Society has worsened in large part due to his own bloc’s doing and he wouldn’t spend a single day thinking about that. This person was obviously mentally deranged and Kerr and his cohorts encouraged it.

So save it.

Steve Kerr is a moron. Nothing he suggests would have saved a single life in that school if the shooter was highly motivated.

He’s another political hack that’s using tragedy to push an agenda. There are some ways to curve this problem. Attacking gun rights activists is not one of them.

You guys can keep pounding this drum all day long. Scream it LOUD. It’s not changing anything. Society has worsened in large part due to his own bloc’s doing and he wouldn’t spend a single day thinking about that. This person was obviously mentally deranged and Kerr and his cohorts encouraged it.

So save it.
You're a clown

The biggest issue is gun culture in America. The 2nd Amendment may have been perfectly reasonable at the time of its inception but the same way that slavery was abolished, there needs to be changes to the way the constitution is interpreted.

What was the biggest reason for the 2nd amendment at the time? For citizens to be able to protect themselves agaisnt the government if the situation ever presented itself. Well, today if the government wanted any one of us dead, owning an entire military arsenal or weapons wouldn’t do shit. It is time for change because this BS happens far too often and exponentially more in our country than any other.
I disagree with your conclusion. Having a very large armed population is a deterrent to the government using its army against the people. Furthermore, those weapons can’t be just pistols and shotguns To be effective. Some of them have to be more advanced to be a deterrent. Sure the military has more advanced weapons but their are a lot more of us and that creates a deterrent without needing the same level of weaponry. Doing away with that safeguard would be foolish in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RogCat1119
Ridiculously bad take and just more the reason why so many are washed over by nonsense. This shooting happened in Texas. Texas borders Mexico. Get your head off of political party nonsense. If you knew anything about Mexico you’d know making guns harder to get for legal citizens in the US only means Mexico would flood the streets with illegal firearms.

Two can play this game. When Democrats begin to take the border seriously, then maybe gun control would partially make sense?

Party politics is absolutely destroying some of your ability to rationally think.
Mexico has had 8 school shootings in 2022 compared to 288 here in the USA. jfc

I disagree with your conclusion. Having a very large armed population is a deterrent to the government using its army against the people. Furthermore, those weapons can’t be just pistols and shotguns To be effective. Some of them have to be more advanced to be a deterrent. Sure the military has more advanced weapons but their are a lot more of us And creates a deterrent without needing the same level of weaponry. Doing away with that safeguard would be foolish in my opinion.

Not to mention, civilians can own military grade weapons. And I’m not talking about the misused “assault weapons” aka AR-15 semi automatic platform.

We can own the weapons they own including tanks. Not to mention, half the military or more would side with civilians. The government is fully aware of this even if the brainwashed minions are not.

• Haha
Reactions: RogCat1119
Here are the several things I'd do that would significantly reduce the murder rate and mass shooter rate:
  1. Amend the constitution so that 21 is a full adult, not 18. We live much longer than 230 years ago and science has proven that your brain isn't fully developed until even after 21. Several of the recent mass shooters were just 18 or so.
  2. Make it very, very, very difficult to acquire a handgun. Yeah, these were done with assault rifles, but the majority of murders are caused by handguns because they can be concealed. In my opinion, the second amendment is about having guns that can help in a war against government tyranny, not handguns.
  3. Crack the f down on mental illness. I'm tired of these people terrorizing normal society. We know that mentally ill men cause a huge portion of the problems in cities; stop pussyfooting around with these people and put them in mental hospitals.
  4. Take threats seriously. Do some "idle" threat about shooting up a school. -> jail time plus you're not touching a gun for a long time. And let the parents and grandparents know that they will be held responsible if their threatening kid gets a hold of it.
  5. Lastly - and this is going to be the most controversial - ban 1st person shooting games. They are so realistic right now that I think it desensitizes a small set of people to being able to commit and execute a mass shooting. What I mean is, they know how their victims are going to react when they start shooting and are trained to handle it. Who needs this crap anyway?

Oooo, idk how I feel about the last one. I don't think FPS games are having any greater affect than watching some of the explicit shows that Netflix and such put out.

I think FPS have the same percentages as guns and cars... 99.999% of people can handle them.

Mexico has had 8 school shootings in 2022 compared to 288 here in the USA. jfc
I looked into that number, and it's wrong. We have a problem, but let's not, whether negligently or purposefully, misstate the number of school shootings.

Look at source. 288 is taken from a CNN article from 2018??? that is stating that number as the total school shootings in the prior decade. The number they should have stated is 77 from their other source. However, even that number is inflated because it includes, for example, a shooting. Behind a school. Of a 27 year old. In his car. On a Sunday. That's considered a "school shooting."

Again, we have a serious problem, but let's also be accurate and truthful about the scope.

Not shocked at all he got up on the podium and threw some water in his eyes. Dude could watch inner-city Chicago shootings for an entire year and not even blink. But a "mass shooting" happens and he gets out his soap box.
Dude doesn’t like guns because his dad was killed overseas by Jihadists. Makes sense.

Dude doesn’t like guns because his dad was killed overseas by Jihadists. Makes sense.

He probably forgave the Jihadists the next day knowing him.

Imagine a drunk driver kills your kid and you take your anger out on IPAs...

I saw an update on the 2 of the victims. Two 10-year-old boys – Uziyah Garcia and Xavier Lopez – were also named as victims

RIP Uziyah and Javier

Last edited:
Reactions: Gromcat
Steve Kerr’s dad was murdered in the Middle East in the 80s. Cut the guy some slack. This is deeply personal to him.

Another problem that might have some merit. These covid lockdowns did a lot of damage to people, I’ve seen it with my own clients. Anxiety, depression, etc all resulting from is isolation resulting from lockdowns. People have demanded lockdowns even when unnecessary, and there is no literature currently being done that I’m aware to link the rise in mass violence to the deterioration of mental health as a result of lockdown fear and isolation.

Some people are on the brink of losing it mentally and then we sent them into a house and told them to stare at the wall. There are all kinds of avenues to look into, but all anyone wants to do is talk about guns. People are killing kids every day and no one wants to confront it unless it’s a news special with politicians screaming about taking rights from the opposition.

It’s really time America quit playing political games and began to look at real life consequences of all actions.

Steve Kerr’s dad was murdered in the Middle East in the 80s. Cut the guy some slack. This is deeply personal to him.

Steve Kerr is an opportunist. He coaches in cities where kids are murdered constantly and he doesn’t bat an eye unless he can form a political point for his base. The guy is ate up, and I’m sorry about his dad, but that’s not what this is about. He goes into politics every single time, and it’s always geared toward one way. It tells me all I need to know.

Because it's ignorant.

No, you just don’t know what you’re talking about. You will never stop guns from being pushed to criminals in a country this wealthy, this large, and with a bordering country like Mexico where the government and cartels are connected.

Being ignorant is not a virtue. Sit this one out.

And the fact that you say “assault weapon” tells me you don’t have the first clue about guns at all. So I won’t be taking any advice from people that are fully ignorant to the situation. No offense at all, I’m just not entertaining knee jerk reactions that would not have stopped this kid from killing those school children if that is what he wanted to do in the end.
Sorry, to play the more specific game, a weapon such as an AR-15, that yes, was modeled directly after the M-16 (a military weapon) but alas, in your eyes, is only semi-automatic so it's the exact same as say the semi-automatic Browning BAR Mark II. Well that's bull-shit and you know it. These guns are marketed as military weapons that civilians can buy.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Here are the several things I'd do that would significantly reduce the murder rate and mass shooter rate:
  1. Amend the constitution so that 21 is a full adult, not 18. We live much longer than 230 years ago and science has proven that your brain isn't fully developed until even after 21. Several of the recent mass shooters were just 18 or so.
  2. Make it very, very, very difficult to acquire a handgun. Yeah, these were done with assault rifles, but the majority of murders are caused by handguns because they can be concealed. In my opinion, the second amendment is about having guns that can help in a war against government tyranny, not handguns.
  3. Crack the f down on mental illness. I'm tired of these people terrorizing normal society. We know that mentally ill men cause a huge portion of the problems in cities; stop pussyfooting around with these people and put them in mental hospitals.
  4. Take threats seriously. Do some "idle" threat about shooting up a school. -> jail time plus you're not touching a gun for a long time. And let the parents and grandparents know that they will be held responsible if their threatening kid gets a hold of it.
  5. Lastly - and this is going to be the most controversial - ban 1st person shooting games. They are so realistic right now that I think it desensitizes a small set of people to being able to commit and execute a mass shooting. What I mean is, they know how their victims are going to react when they start shooting and are trained to handle it. Who needs this crap anyway?

clown spotted

Sorry, to play the more specific game, a weapon such as an AR-15, that yes, was modeled directly after the M-16 (a military weapon) but alas, in your eyes, is only semi-automatic so it's the exact same as say the semi-automatic Browning BAR Mark II. Well that's bull-shit and you know it. These guns are marketed as military weapons that civilians can buy.

Wayne you’re continuing to tell me you aren’t familiar with firearms.

They are not select fire and they are not assault weapons. I can cause much more damage with two glocks in my hands at the range a school shooter is operating in. And that’s guaranteed. You’re buying into nonsense because you simply do not understand firearms. Reading an article and understanding weapons is not the same thing.

Most murders in the US are not committed with Arm platforms. We single them out because of the furniture which is pure bullshit, and you’re peddling in it.

The platforms furniture isn’t killing people. Your assertion that “but it looks like a military gun” isn’t going to work with people who know these weapons. If you want to debate it we can, but you might want to at least check the issue out further because I personally don’t argue people coming from a position of ignorance on firearms. It’s just not worth it. Remove the bayonet lug, flash hider, fix the stock in place, do whatever you want to do to limit the “scary” look, it’s all the same.

We continue to believe the fairy tale that these measures will curve a mass shooter. It won’t. If a guy is dead set on killing massive amounts of people, nothing you are suggesting will work. And saying nuh uh when corrected on misusing gun terms won’t work either.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
There IS a way to limit or perhaps even stop school shootings, but we won't do it.

They've been coming after video games since they found Adam Lanza's old 360 games that he never played. He played dance dance revolutions for 14 hours and the rest he'd spend on forums. Who could forget notorious meme Glenn Beck and modern warfare 2.

YzRkOTk5MDdlNw

Reactions: Gromcat
There is a very specific reason that schools are the target of choice, more often than not.

Think about it, and I feel certain you can piece it together.

Additionally, we already have gun control laws on the books, to help prevent this sort of thing. It would appear though, that law enforcment, mental health professionals, and so on, decided not to USE those laws, or were just too complacent or busy to get involved.

This uptick in mass shootings is a lot of things, but it is NOT a result of lax gun laws.

They've been coming after video games since they found Adam Lanza's old 360 games that he never played. He played dance dance revolutions for 14 hours and the rest he'd spend on forums. Who could forget notorious meme Glenn Beck and modern warfare 2.

Honestly, and I’ll get ripped for this (probably because it’s true and people sort of know it deep down), but there’s really only one way to curve these mass killings. Give people hope.

There’s only one way to do that. You have to believe a higher power is in control. Some will reject it sure, but some will be changed. Gun control measures will not deter a man dead set on killing if he wants to be a mass murderer. He’ll find a way.

The problem is many in this country want to be Godless and they also want people to feel a sense of morality. Well that’s not going to happen. Many non believers can live openly and peacefully, but many younger non believers with real mental issues cannot. They need a natural deterrent that only a higher power can bring. A sense that there’s something out there that feels their pain and is watching over them.

So people can bash away, but the further we remove God from our communities, the worse this will get. And banning my right to own my weapons isn’t going to stop people from dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT