ADVERTISEMENT

Is the name on the front of the Jersey not helping Cal

No, it's not. It's pretty much all on Calipari now. I'd say his previous relationship with UK is helping him more on the recruiting trail than Arkansas is. I'm sure our resident Hogs fan would disagree, because he's told me so multiple times how lovely Fayetteville is, and maybe it is a nice place to live for a suburban family looking for peace and quiet. But we're talking about basketball players here, 18-22 year olds, and the appeal of Fayetteville is a negative to that demographic. Calipari may find that his greatest strength (recruiting) may become a struggle for the first time since his early days at UMass. Memphis was easier to recruit than Arkansas will be. That's not a slam. It's just a fact. Calipari needs a major personal resurgence and injection of passion and energy if he's gonna be a success at Arkansas. This class he recruited at UK will likely be his best ever at Arkansas. We'll see how it goes.

No, it's not. It's pretty much all on Calipari now. I'd say his previous relationship with UK is helping him more on the recruiting trail than Arkansas is. I'm sure our resident Hogs fan would disagree, because he's told me so multiple times how lovely Fayetteville is, and maybe it is a nice place to live for a suburban family looking for peace and quiet. But we're talking about basketball players here, 18-22 year olds, and the appeal of Fayetteville is a negative to that demographic. Calipari may find that his greatest strength (recruiting) may become a struggle for the first time since his early days at UMass. Memphis was easier to recruit than Arkansas will be. That's not a slam. It's just a fact. Calipari needs a major personal resurgence and injection of passion and energy if he's gonna be a success at Arkansas. This class he recruited at UK will likely be his best ever at Arkansas. We'll see how it goes.
We will find out, I’m gonna say Cal will still get his guys but I am surprised more haven’t committed yet.

Great thoughts.....major difference between someone like Pope and Calipari, Pope is younger and this is his big opportunity and he is going to give it 120%, Calipari is older and not as driven, he is rich doesn't have to have it, and like most would have loved to have coasted out on top, probably not willing to give the extra effort he will have to in Fayetteville.

Keen observation.

We will find out, I’m gonna say Cal will still get his guys but I am surprised more haven’t committed yet.
Cal's recruiting at UK absolutely suffered when Antigua left. Cal now has Arkansas and Antigua-less-ness as added challenges.

I think Cal's best classes are way behind him, personally, unless he can bring in a rockstar Antigua replacement.

Cal is gone, so is Hall, Pitino, Sutton etc. I don't care what ANY of them or doing, or if they're dead or alive. Neither should you
That's just weird dude. You can be a UK fan and still like keeping up with sports in general. UK is my team but I'm also a fan of college basketball. I keep an eye on what lots of teams are doing, especially those that we are going to play. And I'm always going to be interested in what former UK coaches are doing, because I know who they are and it's part of the hobby. How about you let people enjoy sports how they want and stop trying to be a sports nazi?

If you are looking for Diamonds or are a pig farmer, then Arkansas would be a place to consider, but to play college basketball, there is not much to do out there. Muss did pretty good the last five seasons going 111-59, not bad at Arkansas, and he left pretty quickly with the same boosters Cal has now. During that same time Cal went 105-52 with much better players, so did Arkansas really upgrade? During that period Arkansas went to two elite eights and one sweet sixteen and didn't make the tournament this year. Cal lost two games in the first round, one in the second and didn't even make the tournament one year with all the highly rated recruiting classes. Getting beat with the best recruits won't go over there either, I don't see him staying at Arkansas very long.

Cal is gone, so is Hall, Pitino, Sutton etc. I don't care what ANY of them or doing, or if they're dead or alive. Neither should you
Be a fan in your own way – that's totally cool. Some folks still like talking about those old coaches, and especially so when, like Pitino and Cal, they're still successfully coaching. Heck, Kentucky basically had a collective week of mourning when Hall, Keightly, and Crum each died.

We bring back historic teams and players for a reason. You lose out on so much as a Kentucky fan when you ignore the program's history. Yes, there are some posters who obsess over Cal, but they'll get over it in their own time. Until then, you can always ignore them and enjoy the board as usual.

Great thoughts.....major difference between someone like Pope and Calipari, Pope is younger and this is his big opportunity and he is going to give it 120%, Calipari is older and not as driven, he is rich doesn't have to have it, and like most would have loved to have coasted out on top, probably not willing to give the extra effort he will have to in Fayetteville.
If this coming year is rough for cal and the recruits aren’t coming his way for the following season I can see cal being a very apropo one and done at Arkansas. Be a fitting end to his career.

That's just weird dude. You can be a UK fan and still like keeping up with sports in general. UK is my team but I'm also a fan of college basketball. I keep an eye on what lots of teams are doing, especially those that we are going to play. And I'm always going to be interested in what former UK coaches are doing, because I know who they are and it's part of the hobby. How about you let people enjoy sports how they want and stop trying to be a sports nazi?
No, What's weird is we have a coach that MOST people wanted gone, is finally gone, yet people keep cluttering up the board with post about him.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Cal shut down any "name on the front of jersey" talk during his introductory presser when he said he is and always will be a Players first coach.

I would say he is a certain players first coach, all players didn't figure in to that philosophy, some got unlimited chances to produce, while others got few. There have been quite a few transfers that have had very good careers elsewhere who might disagree with his assessment of his style.

Reactions: Jkwo
He doesn't seem to be that far behind Pope. He's got 4 guys now, and they are highly ranked enough that Cal probably isn't going to get a lot of transfers. Which isn't new to him. It's also HIS first few weeks at Arkansas.. just like Pope, it was going to take him some time as well.

Cal seems to still be getting his guys. I'd say the whole "Name on the FRONT of the jersey" is kind of over valued at this point. Kids largely don't care where they are playing, just who they are playing for.

The good news is that he still hasnt proven he can coach, so it's not really going to matter. But yeah, that was quite silly for some people here to think it was KENTUCKY doing the recruiting here, and not Cal.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP THESE NEW THREADS ABOUT CCC!!!!!! HE'S GONE!!!!! I DON'T CARE ANYMORE WHAT HE'S DOING OR NOT DOING AT ARKANSAS!!!
You know what I do when there's a topic I don't care about? I don't click on it. It isn't like the board is full of Cal topics. There's like 2 or 3 threads that have Cal in the title on the front page. Plus with recruiting battles for the same players, you're going to occasionally see Cal's name in those as well.

As long as he is coaching and recruiting against us, there will be topics about him on here. You can either ignore them or complain about them, but they're not going to go away. We talked about Tubby and Gillispie for years after they left and we never had to face them or recruit against them.

Unbelievable
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

If cal only had the class he had at ark no JQ UK fans would not be happy jmo
I think it's still more about NIL and getting to the league, but the Kentucky brand is still the biggest stage in the sport. It doesn't mean what us diehards want it to, but it still has sway.

@IL Wildcat is right, this will be Cal's best class at Arkansas

Cal's recruiting at UK absolutely suffered when Antigua left. Cal now has Arkansas and Antigua-less-ness as added challenges.

I think Cal's best classes are way behind him, personally, unless he can bring in a rockstar Antigua replacement.
He did bring in a secret weapon. Brad Calipari. I’ve heard he’s a tireless worker on the trail and an offensive genius. #earnednotgiven

• Haha
Reactions: JPFisher
Probably trying to help his buddy Cal who's not getting anyone but the recruits he brought with him (well some of them).
Feels like it, be coached everyday! The $ is minuscule to what you will make as a pro. That feels like a Cal speech. The only thing is Arkansas has plenty of $ so why this? Maybe they aren’t biting as fast as they thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT