ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann or Oats

Which one?

• Chris Holtmann

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Nate Oats

Votes: 57 85.1%

• Total voters
Chris Holtmann is worse than Calipari now and he can't sniff his past success. He's never earned a damn job. He's never won a Conference or Conference Tournament. He's about stall ball so those who hate how Cal plays offensively would be surprised to see how Holtmann's philosophy would make him look like Paul Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams.

If that's the hire, I'll wait for the failure from afar and come back around after the time it takes for administration to figure out that fans want to be entertained as well as win/contend for championships.
Oates or Holtzmann will not coach here nor should they. I like Lloyd at Arizona and musselman, they both offer the recruiting and modern offensive approaches that could be successful at Kentucky

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I'm not saying he will be on UK's radar yet, but man, I really like Tommy Lloyd. I would not complain in the least if we pried him away from Zona if Calipari decided to move on elsewhere.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I’d personally love Vogel with some ex KY players coaches as the assistants. Vogel with Mash and Anderson on the bench doesn’t sound all that bad!!!
Three guys with no college coaching experience and neither assistants with any sort of coaching experience? Huge pass.

Steer clear of legacy hiring UNLESS it's Billy Donovan...which won't happen.

Three guys with no college coaching experience and neither assistants with any sort of coaching experience? Huge pass.

Steer clear of legacy hiring UNLESS it's Billy Donovan...which won't happen.
IMO you only "keep in within the family" when the job is such that a successful coach with no prior ties to the school will move on to greener pastures. That's not the case at UK, UK is the greener pasture.

SemperFi, That is my exact list order. Lloyd would be first as his style of offense would be exciting to watch and he would be able to get even better talent here.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Mark Few. He has maxed out IMO at Gonzaga. Who knows what he could accomplish with the resources and recruiting advantages at UK?
This is an interesting theory....(not being sarcastic).

But he won't ever leave. Few loves the little school that could (and somehow now does, it seems, contrary to even my past criticisms), so he'll definitely retire at Gonzaga.

This is an interesting theory....(not being sarcastic).

But he won't ever leave. Few loves the little school that could (and somehow now does, it seems, contrary to even my past criticisms), so he'll definitely retire at Gonzaga.
I tend to agree, but might be worth a fruit basket. Ya never know, he might want a big job. or maybe a change of scenery. Who knows? Might at least be worth some feelers.

Reactions: TheDude73
Kentucky native. There are some that think it has to be “in the family”.

Hell no on that.
Amen big blue brotha! I do NOT want Holtmann. Has done nothing at all at OSU to have us think he would do well here. I like the idea of Lloyd if he would leave Zona.

Reactions: bbncal02
Cal leaves and we hire Mark Few or Nate Oats away from Alabama. Bring both coaches into the gym. It's a 20 free throw shootout between the 2 of them, whom ever wins gets to takeover as KENTUCKY MENS BB COACH.

He’s really solid so far
I legit never watch Pac12 so idk what theyre like to watch but they earned a 1 last year and have some signature wins already this year for a team who lost 3 starters. If he can prove himself a little more before Cal leaves you gotta imagine hed make the short list.

Holtmann is from KY and his immediate family are diehard UK fans. We need someone who values the tradition and legacy. I'm not saying he should be the hire but those credentials shouldn't go unnoticed.
I say hire from Pitino's coaching tree. I know what most are gonna say but Vogel would be a candidate. Regardless, we need a brand of basketball the fans can get behind again.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I think its time for outdated Mitch to go as well.
^^^^This. Nothing will get fixed properly until the toolbag that gave Cal the lifetime contract (and was also responsible for the Joker Phillips and Billy G hires) is gone.

^^^^This. Nothing will get fixed properly until the toolbag that gave Cal the lifetime contract (and was also responsible for the Joker Phillips and Billy G hires) is gone.
There’s not an AD thats been anywhere for 20 yrs that hasn’t made what some fans would call a ‘bad ’ hire , because you can’t look into a crystal ball and know how something is going to work out ..most have also made some ‘good ‘ one’s.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Cat 1 is Billy D (even though I hate to try for a third time), Jay Wright, and Brad Stevens. Make those 3 turn down $8-$10 million a year before anyone else

Then you look at Few, Vogel, and maybe Drew

Then its Muss or Oats. I would add Lloyd here or a notch above, but I don't think he leaves the West Coast area.

Then if they all have said no, you consider Holtman?

Musselmen would be my first call. After that throw a few Hail Marys at the big names we all know. If still a no, you can start looking into guys like Oats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT