ADVERTISEMENT

Help me understand why Louisville has a better football program than UK

Do we want to face re4ality or blow blue smoke. If anyone does a bit of looking at the 2 regimes you will find some very serious similarities. The major difference is the outcome.

Jurich 1997: reading the wiki page for each
Hired a coach John L. Smith with 7 years of head coaching experience at small colleges
He left for Michigan State and Louisville hired an offensive coordinator Petrino.
He left for the Atlanta Falcons and they hired a coach with 3 years head coaching experience Steve Kragethorpe. He was fired.
Then Strong, another coordinator was hired. He left for Texas.
Petrino was rehired.
So that is 2 coaches with previous head coaching experience. 1 moved up and one was fired.
And it is 2 coaches without previous experience, 1 offensive coordinator and 1 defensive coordinator, and both moved on to better places.

Barnhart 2002:.
Coming off of Mumme's firing, Guy Morriss was first the interim head caoch, then hired as the permanent head coach. Morriss left basically over money. Baylor was willing to pay it, we weren't. But Morriss succeed taking us to 7-5,but missing the bowl games because of Mumme. Only 1 year of head coaching experience and that was here as the interim.
We then had a long replacement list but could not find the right coach so we hired Brooks who gave us the most sustained success in our history 4 straight bowls. He had 17 years as a head college coach and several stints as an assistant in the NFL.
Joker was the coach in waiting. No head coaching experience. A lot of assistant experience mostly here, but also at ND, South Carolina,
That brings us up to our current state with Stoops. He had no head coaching experience, but was an assistant with high accolades from everyone.

Louisville seems to do well with former coordinators. Kentucky seems to have better success with former head coaches.

So our next coach should be from the current or former coach line. Forget coordinators.

Lets take a closer look:

Morris was basically shown the door after going from 2-10 to 7-5 in one year. Money issue was for assistants, who MB refused to raise and were last in the SEC, Guy loved Lexington - Baylor was 12-54 the 6 years prior. Guy wanted to stay, you see where he is today? In KY. Note: I still live in the same neighborhood where Guy and Pease both lived. 7-5 and had LSU beat - MB and Sandy pushed them right on out.

Rich Brooks had been out of football for 3 years and hadnt coached a college team in 10 years.
After Morris' 7-5 year, we won 9 games the next 3 years - before CRB got it back together.

Joker was the OC at UK for 3 years with Andre Woodson.

Stoops as DC at Arizona didnt have a winning record 4 out of 5 years then as DC at FSU had 2 very good years.

Tom Jurich's first action upon being hired - fire Ron Cooper immediately, it was his 3rd season not 4th or 5th.

John L was a HC at D1 Utah State and 2 time Big Sky champ at Idaho as HC.

Petrino as a coordinator led offenses to #2 in the nation for passing and total offense at NEVADA. His first year as OC at UL he led the Cards to #1 in scoring AND total offense.

Steve Kragthorp HC at Tulsa 4 years - 3 bowl games.
At UL he went 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 and FIRED. NO YEAR 4 OR 5. Mitch would have extended him 20 years.

Charlie Strong was a HC Candidate for YEARS, exceptional national recruiter and had successful defenses at 2 separate SEC schools.

Who did the better job?

(Oh yeah... Billy Clyde vs Pitino)

Last edited:
Looonnng time reader. The OP finally caused me to sign up and actually post. To be upfront: I was raised in a home that loved UK and hated UofL. I don't know why they were hated, this was during the Clayborn (sp?) years. There was no comparison between the universities or athletics department. Without boring anyone with details about why or how, I started to follow UofL as an underdog program; I began to like them; I began to respect what they were trying to do (become better against every possible odds); and finally I became a huge fan. None of that really matters at all except I think it gives me a prospective to this Q that maybe will help. I believe 100% what am going to share.

Everything above is correct. ADs, coaches, especially. But I also see above (just a bit) and in practically every thread on this board that involves UofL the bigger reason: UK has for generations prefered to mock and belittle UofL rather than face the reality/truth of what was being built down I-64.

I started following UofL when they played in a run down AAA baseball stadium. UK had just moved into new opportunity at CWS. over the next 30 years (or more I don't even know any longer) UK did literally nothing to try and advance itself in any way. As long as basketball was good there was NO effort to be better at anything, and certainly not football.

UofL on the otherhand 1st considered dropping FB, and then, deciding to keep it, also decided to build something it could not afford, had no experience in, and had no foundation for. They invested into an impossible dream, for the long haul.

To go back to the mid 80s when Bill Olsen set his sights on Howard is not just to look at someone with vision or passion, it's to face what appeared to be the impossible and pursue the impossible.

I was a student at Miami when UofL set its sights on Howard. He was larger then life in South Florida, and here I am watching tv from my dorm as Howard gets off the plane in Louisville as it become apparent he's going to take the UofL job. I was flabbergasted. That wasn't just a great hire, that was vision that exceed ability, but it was only that type of vision that would pull UofL out of the trash heap of history.

The same is true when they went after TJ. He was known at the time to be the brightest young AD in the country at CSU. No way he takes the job. He said "no" and UofL would not accept that "no". Leaders from the city and university sold a man who believes in impossible visions their own impossible vision for UofL. He finally said "yes".

The list goes on. No way they could get a new stadium. But the fans raised the money. No way they could turn gravel parking lots into among the very finest athletic facilities in the entire country. But they kept finding a way. No way they could replace Howard. TJ removed coaches that couldn't believe in the impossible. He hired John L. He hired Rick. He believed UofL could be the greatest athletic department in the country, just like Howard was sure UofL would win a NC.

But this isn't the real answer to the OP's question. It's not nearly so much what UofL did (frankly, as incredible as it is) it's what UK, empowered by its fans, did in response - nothing. No,actually worse than nothing. For 30 years UKs response has been to mock "little brother", to promise that as soon as "________" graduates everything will return to normal, that the pizza pit is a joke, that Rick will leave next year, that TJ would leave next year, the excuses continue all the way to today - "thugs" (everybody); "we're better than them"; "we do things the right way"; "id rather lose then be like the line beards". Etc etc etc. You can mock them if you want, but their trajectory is full steam ahead....

UK fans don't get it - UofL fans laugh at the "little brother" rhetoric. They see that while UK fans and administration was busy laughing, they were building something that was impossible. Having built it literally from the ground up has instilled a pride and belief that UK don't have access to understand. It's the type of belief that will carry UofL even further into the future.

Now, all these years later, Little Brother has a $100M budget, soon the largest stadium in KY, is a member of the ACC, is #3 in the country. All while UK laughed and mocked and did nothing.

The best thing that could happen to UK is for UofL to not just beat UK on the field, but blast onto the national scene. Maybe now UK will stop mocking and start building. But one word of advice - a lot of people on here act like all it will take is one great hire. Nope, in strange way, UK is where UofL was 30 years ago. One great hire will bring an impossible vision that might take 30 years to achieve. It's hard work. But it's absolutely worth it.

"Louisville is two losses away from falling back into the woodwork..."

No, they're not. They might not be in the playoff picture with two losses, but 2 loses will not return UK to some dreamed of "natural order" of superiority. This type of thinking is exactly what I was referring to in my first post.

I don't want to get into debates or argument. I'm sure I'll get hammered. That's fine. So I'm making this my last post. Maybe my prospective will help; it's meant with good intentions. Peace.

One elite/great player. Lamar Jackson makes that team special too. Without him they are 8-4 or 9-3. (which is still nothing to sneeze at)

No offense, but we sometimes fall into the "BB perspective" trap where one player (signing, leaving, injured, rehabbed) can make a big difference between winning and losing on a roster of about one dozen.

Not so in FB. FB (not counting game planning/game adjustment) is a test of player evaluation, retention, development (including targeted redshirts), and preparation......ultimately leading to quality depth on a roster exceeding 80 players. Good HCs who have developed some minimum quality depth can shift to a serviceable and sometimes seasoned back up and still perform.

New HCs (before building depth) or poor HCs (in building depth) collapse with the loss of a player here and there. With depth also comes team confidence in the "next man up"....."be ready to go" environment.

Here's why..................
ncb_a_gillispie-barnhart01_300.jpg

If UK wants to get serious about football, they need to hire this generation's Howard Schnellenberger, then give him everything he needs to get the program going in the right direction. Plan on it being a ten year process. Schnellenberger went 2-9, 3-8, 3-7-1, 8-3, 6-5, 10-1-1, 2-9, 5-6, 9-3 and 6-5 at Louisville - not even a winning overall record, but it did not matter because Schnellenberger had won a national championship at Miami and before that had won two Super Bowls with the Miami Dolphins - so UofL knew that the foundation was being laid the right way. A huge part of the foundation is that the coach have a great reputation in a part of the country that has great high school football. You cannot win without great players.

Once the foundation is laid, you then ALWAYS hire coaches who follow the same philosophy and whose strengths are in recruiting the same areas of the country. UofL failed to do this twice, once in 1995 when we hired Ron Cooper, and once again in 2007 when we hired Steve Kragthorpe. The results were disastrous, and the AD's we had at the time corrected that mistake after three years each time by firing Cooper and Kragthorpe and hiring coaches with recruiting ties to Florida (although John L. Smith was primarily a product of western football, he was a disciple of Dennis Erickson, who also won two national championships at Miami).
sadly, there is no 'this generation' Schnelly. he played at UK for Bear. He coached for Bear. He won titles. There will likely never be another person in football that accomplishes so much and has a UK connection. Some speak of the curse of Bryant, but as bad as UK turned their back on this legend....one of their own.....well, there's your curse.

Last edited:
There really is no explanation except our fans and administration do not have high goals when it come to football. Our losing is now a culture and once it gets roots it is harder to get rid of than kudzu. It is like bamboo growing in your backyard. We do tolerate losing and like many said before, UL doesn't.

Had we hired Petrino, and gave him the new facilities, the stadium renovations, he would have stayed until he retired. You give him all of that, he wins, season tickets stay sold out. This place is a mad house every year, spring game sold out every year, and he would have gotten a statue.

That was our chance to become relevant in football. We were too good for that, and we gambled on a coordinator. The rest is history. Welcome to Kentucky Football. Mitch Barnhart signs 7 year extension.

More free dollars and not averse to conference hopping. AD is not against a bit of rule bending.....Potion, petition, Hurtt...and whoever else as long as he has some layers of deniability in case something goes south. Awful strange to see a school president resign during scandals but the AD stay around.

Sharp operator

Three letters
S-E-C
I think this is the root of the problem. The SEC "crutch" has created an acceptance of losing. "Well, we can't win in the SEC". Horse ****. That mentality should have been squashed by UK leadership decades ago, but it hasn't been and now its acceptable to have a losing mentality. Have to quit with the SEC garbage and start demanding W's

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
All comes down to coaching at the collegiate level. Schnellenberger got it started and handed it over to John L. Smith. All this was happening while UL was in a relatively weak conference. However, winning 7-8 games a season regardless of what conference and playing in a bowl is more attractive than going 4-8 and staying home during the postseason. Would UL have had the same success playing in the SEC as opposed to Conference USA? Doubtful, but they did things the right way by winning games and getting exposure on ESPN. Mark Story wrote a column a few years ago about Kentucky Football and how they need to get out of the SEC and play in a lesser conference, much like UL did. Will never happen but it's a debatable point. The bottom line is the UL hired a proven coach with a vision, steadily increased their winning percentage before jumping to a power conference and gained a lot of national exposure. On top of that, they're now dominating us and it doesn't seem that UK will be able to compete any time soon.

More free dollars and not averse to conference hopping. AD is not against a bit of rule bending.....Potion, petition, Hurtt...and whoever else as long as he has some layers of deniability in case something goes south. Awful strange to see a school president resign during scandals but the AD stay around.

Sharp operator
I am pretty sure Govenor Blevins helped Ramsey retire.

Dear UK fans who still make excuses for that idiot Barnhart:

PLEASE read this whole topic

Mods, PLEASE pin this as well.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
UofL hunts for talented kids who get booted from other schools.

DeVonte Fields is an All-American...UGA's secondary... A guy from UF... The best possible coach. Sometimes it bites them in the ass to get a Willie Williams on campus...BUT THEY DONT GIVE TWO SHITS.

^^^^ that's the difference.

I always get into these discussions with... "How bad do you want to win?"

Jurich built that program. Mitch built ours. See the difference?

I wish we had a wartime consigliere... Instead UK has Tom Hayden.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Looonnng time reader. The OP finally caused me to sign up and actually post. To be upfront: I was raised in a home that loved UK and hated UofL. I don't know why they were hated, this was during the Clayborn (sp?) years. There was no comparison between the universities or athletics department. Without boring anyone with details about why or how, I started to follow UofL as an underdog program; I began to like them; I began to respect what they were trying to do (become better against every possible odds); and finally I became a huge fan. None of that really matters at all except I think it gives me a prospective to this Q that maybe will help. I believe 100% what am going to share.

Everything above is correct. ADs, coaches, especially. But I also see above (just a bit) and in practically every thread on this board that involves UofL the bigger reason: UK has for generations prefered to mock and belittle UofL rather than face the reality/truth of what was being built down I-64.

I started following UofL when they played in a run down AAA baseball stadium. UK had just moved into new opportunity at CWS. over the next 30 years (or more I don't even know any longer) UK did literally nothing to try and advance itself in any way. As long as basketball was good there was NO effort to be better at anything, and certainly not football.

UofL on the otherhand 1st considered dropping FB, and then, deciding to keep it, also decided to build something it could not afford, had no experience in, and had no foundation for. They invested into an impossible dream, for the long haul.

To go back to the mid 80s when Bill Olsen set his sights on Howard is not just to look at someone with vision or passion, it's to face what appeared to be the impossible and pursue the impossible.

I was a student at Miami when UofL set its sights on Howard. He was larger then life in South Florida, and here I am watching tv from my dorm as Howard gets off the plane in Louisville as it become apparent he's going to take the UofL job. I was flabbergasted. That wasn't just a great hire, that was vision that exceed ability, but it was only that type of vision that would pull UofL out of the trash heap of history.

The same is true when they went after TJ. He was known at the time to be the brightest young AD in the country at CSU. No way he takes the job. He said "no" and UofL would not accept that "no". Leaders from the city and university sold a man who believes in impossible visions their own impossible vision for UofL. He finally said "yes".

The list goes on. No way they could get a new stadium. But the fans raised the money. No way they could turn gravel parking lots into among the very finest athletic facilities in the entire country. But they kept finding a way. No way they could replace Howard. TJ removed coaches that couldn't believe in the impossible. He hired John L. He hired Rick. He believed UofL could be the greatest athletic department in the country, just like Howard was sure UofL would win a NC.

But this isn't the real answer to the OP's question. It's not nearly so much what UofL did (frankly, as incredible as it is) it's what UK, empowered by its fans, did in response - nothing. No,actually worse than nothing. For 30 years UKs response has been to mock "little brother", to promise that as soon as "________" graduates everything will return to normal, that the pizza pit is a joke, that Rick will leave next year, that TJ would leave next year, the excuses continue all the way to today - "thugs" (everybody); "we're better than them"; "we do things the right way"; "id rather lose then be like the line beards". Etc etc etc. You can mock them if you want, but their trajectory is full steam ahead....

UK fans don't get it - UofL fans laugh at the "little brother" rhetoric. They see that while UK fans and administration was busy laughing, they were building something that was impossible. Having built it literally from the ground up has instilled a pride and belief that UK don't have access to understand. It's the type of belief that will carry UofL even further into the future.

Now, all these years later, Little Brother has a $100M budget, soon the largest stadium in KY, is a member of the ACC, is #3 in the country. All while UK laughed and mocked and did nothing.

The best thing that could happen to UK is for UofL to not just beat UK on the field, but blast onto the national scene. Maybe now UK will stop mocking and start building. But one word of advice - a lot of people on here act like all it will take is one great hire. Nope, in strange way, UK is where UofL was 30 years ago. One great hire will bring an impossible vision that might take 30 years to achieve. It's hard work. But it's absolutely worth it.
Only problem I have with any of this is , the little brother thing was about basketball and was stated by Eddie Sutton , a basketball coach. And he was 100% right . UL is and always has been like a little brother to UK basketball. Everything else is spot on .

DeVonte Fields is an All-American...UGA's secondary... A guy from UF... The best possible coach. Sometimes it bites them in the ass to get a Willie Williams on campus...BUT THEY DONT GIVE TWO SHITS.

You are correct we have been burn a couple times in those transfers as you Mentioned Willie Williams is one and we have has some that just didn't workout like Micheal Dyer. However then you have Fields and Harvey-Clemmons who will both be playing on Sunday's.

Pettino also seems to have a knack for getting players to switch positions where they will be better off and 2 QB's come to mind Micheal Bush and Reggie Bonnahon.

Reactions: beasleythecard
You can back in my thread and see my posts, but let's not forget: Pitino was cheating on basketball for YEARS AND should have the 2012 final four and 2013 title vacated

And

We know Charlie Strong was cheating as well (we know all about Clint Hurtt...Petrino we have no idea)

But that's not an excuse for Barnhart being an inept dope as a college AD and we know college athletics have ZERO values any more (let's face it, UNC and UofL should both be stripped of their titles), so basically **** it. Who the hell cares anymore. People basically have zero morals today anyway so screw it. Get the sleazebagiest coach out there. Hell, we've elected scumier presidents in the US.

Reactions: jauk11
Honestly just 2 reasons:
1. When you play football in the SEC, there is not a lot of room for error. The conference schedule is brutal.
2. Our Athletic Director is piss poor.

Winning cures everything. Mitch Barnhart is an idiot, but hey!!!!!! He upgraded irrelevant sports, and signed his extension. How many other AD's in this conference with his lifetime football record survive this long, and sign another extension in 2016? I'd really love to know the answer to that question.

WOW....just wow. Close the thread down and pin this because it could not be more spot on. Glad you signed up bud

Reactions: cewsmith and Mike-D

I don't read long posts on my phone. I'm home now, on my computer. Great post. Post more often. It's the difference between the programs. Sad. Very sad. But absolutely true. Mitch will continue trying to build this program the right way. It's almost like GLOBO GYM. "We're better than you, and we know it." We're better than winning.

As a long time UK fan, I am puzzled at how the University of Louisville has established a better football program than the University of Kentucky. After all, UK is the state's "Flagship University" It is Kentucky's largest university. UK is a more prestigious academic university than UL. UK has much more fan support within the state of Kentucky than UL. UK has much better football facilities than UL. During the 3 out of the last 4 years, UK has signed better football recruits than UL based upon Rival's recruiting rankings as set out below:

2013 National Recruiting Rankings

UK 29 UL 41

2014 National Recruiting Rankings

UK 18 UL 36

2015 National Recruiting Rankings

UK 34 UL 32

2016 National Recruiting Rankings

UK 29 UL 36

Louisville is now ranked number 3 in the nation after just throttling the nation's second ranked team while we have been getting beat by the likes of Southern Mississippi, annihilated/embarrassed on national television by Florida and finally escaping with a win over lowly New Mexico State. UL is the number 1 ranked scoring team in the country averaging 65 points per game while we wallow at the bottom in almost every team defense category. Of course, UL has beaten Kentucky 5 straight games.

While I understand that Joker may have left UK "relatively" low on talent (we have always been "low" on talent) when he departed, UL has never had a recruiting class ranked higher than 30th in the nation and that was in 2011.

As a long time UK fan, I keep asking myself, with all of the qualities that UK has going for it compared to UL, "How in the hell did the UL football program evolve into being so superior to UK?

Reactions: sluggercatfan
As a long time UK fan, I am puzzled at how the University of Louisville has established a better football program than the University of Kentucky. After all, UK is the state's "Flagship University" It is Kentucky's largest university. UK is a more prestigious academic university than UL. UK has much more fan support within the state of Kentucky than UL. UK has much better football facilities than UL. During the 3 out of the last 4 years, UK has signed better football recruits than UL based upon Rival's recruiting rankings as set out below:

UK 29 UL 41

UK 18 UL 36

UK 34 UL 32

UK 29 UL 36

Louisville is now ranked number 3 in the nation after just throttling the nation's second ranked team while we have been getting beat by the likes of Southern Mississippi, annihilated/embarrassed on national television by Florida and finally escaping with a win over lowly New Mexico State. UL is the number 1 ranked scoring team in the country averaging 65 points per game while we wallow at the bottom in almost every team defense category. Of course, UL has beaten Kentucky 5 straight games.

While I understand that Joker may have left UK "relatively" low on talent (we have always been "low" on talent) when he departed, UL has never had a recruiting class ranked higher than 30th in the nation and that was in 2011.

As a long time UK fan, I keep asking myself, with all of the qualities that UK has going for it compared to UL, "How in the hell did the UL football program evolve into being so superior to UK?

Much better facilities? I don't know if I would go that far.

Reactions: Umlusa

UK 29 UL 41

UK 18 UL 36

UK 34 UL 32

UK 29 UL 36

Two words: Athletics director

-The athletics director has the vision
-the athletics director hires the coaches
-the athletics director holds those coaches accountable

Look at where Louisville athletics was at before Jurich compared to where they are now as arguably the best comprehensive athletics department in the nation. There's no arguing it, no denying it. It's all on him. He's taken their football program from a C-USA team to an ACC member that's basically a perennial top-25 team. He hired one of the best basketball coaches in the history of the sport. He has one of the best baseball programs in the nation. He has one of the best women's basketball programs in the nation. The list goes on and on.

The guy is a slime ball but he's damn good at his job. At schools like Louisville and Kentucky if you want to win in football you need an aggressive AD that can think outside the box and is willing to take some risks. Louisville has that and we don't. Simple as that. Our two AD's are polar opposites.
TJ has done great things for Foosball at Otis, but Bill Olsen and Howard SCHNELLENBERGER are the reasons they are where are today, especially HS as he set the standard of striving for greatness and not just "settling" for being average...but not for two stupid , bb only ads at UK HS could have blazed this path for KENTUCKY

Louisville is two losses away from falling back into the woodwork. A program has to have continued years of beating tough teams to be considered a first rate program. We all know who those legacy programs are. Now Louisville is trying hard to become a legacy program as are many other programs. Now UK has to decide if they want to become a legacy program. To become such a program there has to be commitment from the BOD, President, AD, fan base, students, and media support along with commercial sponsors. THEN you go out and get the best HC available and work, work, and work some more. Never take your eye and mind off the target. As Howard said, " We are on a collision course with destiny".
No but the HS kids who they will be recruiting see the now, not the past. If you were a QB who would you want to play for?

I doubt very many HS kids remember Fran Curci, Brooks, or Kentucky being a power school under the Bear.

sadly, there is no 'this generation' Schnelly. he played at UK for Bear. He coached for Bear. He won titles. There will likely never be another person in football that accomplishes so much and has a UK connection. Some speak of the curse of Bryant, but as bad as UK turned their back on this legend....one of their own.....well, there's your curse.
Amen..thank you!

Two words: Athletics director

-The athletics director has the vision
-the athletics director hires the coaches
-the athletics director holds those coaches accountable

Look at where Louisville athletics was at before Jurich compared to where they are now as arguably the best comprehensive athletics department in the nation. There's no arguing it, no denying it. It's all on him. He's taken their football program from a C-USA team to an ACC member that's basically a perennial top-25 team. He hired one of the best basketball coaches in the history of the sport. He has one of the best baseball programs in the nation. He has one of the best women's basketball programs in the nation. The list goes on and on.

The guy is a slime ball but he's damn good at his job. At schools like Louisville and Kentucky if you want to win in football you need an aggressive AD that can think outside the box and is willing to take some risks. Louisville has that and we don't. Simple as that. Our two AD's are polar opposites.
I agree with this... But lets not forget the circumstances that have blessed us with Director Do-Right....
Basketball and Football probations.... I believe Mitch had a mandate and that was to make certain UK didn't fall under the scrutiny of the NCAA in either program.... He's done that exceedingly well. That's all the guy needs to do.........
And he's ours till 2022 making big ass money..... So expect to see bad football, a dancing guy-coach at BBM, and an AD talk out the side of his mouth for years to come.... Our only hope is that we crash and burn/hit rock bottom (not there yet) and we have a paradigm shift in the Athletic program...... Always wanted to use paradigm shift in a post............ The good new is ...... I've been wrong before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT