ADVERTISEMENT

Help me understand why Louisville has a better football program than UK

Uavel plays such weak schedules you can’t compare

UVA, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, NC State Duke, North Carolina, Wake and Syracuse all have their ups and downs, and are neither a murderer’s row, nor comparable to the “bottom half” of the SEC. Still, they will present a stiffer challenge for a rebuilding U of L than was faced either by Johnelle Smith in the 90’s or Charlie Strong after Kraigthorpe. Add in Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami and FSU, who have more to sustain or rebuild with, and one sees Louisville fans should be very patient with their new staff.

UVA, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, NC State Duke, North Carolina, Wake and Syracuse all have their ups and downs, and are neither a murderer’s row, nor comparable to the “bottom half” of the SEC. Still, they will present a stiffer challenge for a rebuilding U of L than was faced either by Johnelle Smith in the 90’s or Charlie Strong after Kraigthorpe. Add in Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami and FSU, who have more to sustain or rebuild with, and one sees Louisville fans should be very patient with their new staff.
Little Brother has built their past records on the Big Least The AAC Conference USA among other weak sisters

Several of those posters no longer post here, wonder why but some still post and are still bitching about Stoops/Mitch and being 9-3. Got to love the internet where anyone with a computer is a talking genius. GBB!!!

When Redman leaves they're screwed.
When Ragone leaves they'll suck.
Without Lefors they're gonna suck
Brohm is the only reason that they are good.
Wait until Bridgewater goes, they will suck.
They're only good because of Jackson.

I see a strong pattern here.
We might have been a bit off when saying that they would suck without Ragone, Lefors, Brohm, and Bridgewater. But, man, as it turned out, they sure did suck without Jackson. I mean, really, really sucked.

Reactions: MojoYamamoto
We might have been a bit off when saying that they would suck without Ragone, Lefors, Brohm, and Bridgewater. But, man, as it turned out, they sure did suck without Jackson. I mean, really, really sucked.

I think the clear difference, and the cause of the depth of the collapse, was Petrino’s long-term negative effect on recruiting and player development, especially on defense.

Petrino took players recruited by others, and looked like a genius. But it fell to pieces when Kragthorpe had to play Petrino’s recruits, or had to ask them to leave campus. Arkansas was put in a deep hole as well.

I wonder if this impression of Jurich and a winning culture remains with our regular Card poster.

I revisit old impressions of Jurich, because Bob Valvano admitted this week that the media was afraid under Jurich and Petrino to criticize for fear of certain retribution. I remember UK fans posting that TJ had the media afraid, but most UL fans defended him.

That seems to have changed with regard to BP and TJ.

In short, when it comes to Card radio, you cannot believe the spin.
Just saw your new addition to a 2 year old thread. Yes, I still believe Jurich did a great job for UofL athletics. That doesn't mean he was perfect. Yes, he made some mistakes (hiring coach Kragthorpe, giving Willie Williams his 4th or 5th chance and agreeing to CBP 2.0's ridiculous buyout package come immediately to mind).

Other than claims by UK fans on this board I was not aware of any "media intimidation"; most media types are eager to take on those arguments. If Bob couldn't handle it he probably doesn't understand the media guys carry most of the weigh in these situations. SO I'll say again, Jurich wasn't perfect did a great job for UofL athletics.

WildCard references the stadium expansion, that then fell short of exceeding Commonwealth’s capacity, as fans and donors had been promised.
Well, the north end expansion, as actually done, was certainly well short of the initial talk of 10,000 or so seats. In the end, all it did was replace the seats that had to be cut from the original expansion due to construction inflation. Construction inflation due to to the Kentucky legislature's deferred approval of the start of the project - a project in which they did not have a nickel committed - for a year. So seating is about what it was originally planned to be and is probably +/- 100 seats of the new CWS. I still have not seen "exact" numbers on either facility but I'm OK with that because I get/can get tickets at either venue. [winking]

Peace

Just saw your new addition to a 2 year old thread. Yes, I still believe Jurich did a great job for UofL athletics. That doesn't mean he was perfect. Yes, he made some mistakes (hiring coach Kragthorpe, giving Willie Williams his 4th or 5th chance and agreeing to CBP 2.0's ridiculous buyout package come immediately to mind).

Other than claims by UK fans on this board I was not aware of any "media intimidation"; most media types are eager to take on those arguments. If Bob couldn't handle it he probably doesn't understand the media guys carry most of the weigh in these situations. SO I'll say again, Jurich wasn't perfect did a great job for UofL athletics.

Well, the north end expansion, as actually done, was certainly well short of the initial talk of 10,000 or so seats. In the end, all it did was replace the seats that had to be cut from the original expansion due to construction inflation. Construction inflation due to to the Kentucky legislature's deferred approval of the start of the project - a project in which they did not have a nickel committed - for a year. So seating is about what it was originally planned to be and is probably +/- 100 seats of the new CWS. I still have not seen "exact" numbers on either facility but I'm OK with that because I get/can get tickets at either venue. [winking]

Peace

Bob spoke of the media at large and said that it was common knowledge that if you did not tow the line, you were ousted, media credentials revoked, etc. He said that high school coaches also refrained from publicly speaking out for fear of retribution. You are living in a dream world if you are still defending Jurich. And, add the Pitino contract as one that was severely botched.

SO I'll say again, Jurich wasn't perfect did a great job for UofL athletics.

Hmmmm.

I guess that Ramsey dude did as well. He gave Jurich free rein, so . . . .

As to Jurich and his “great” job, unless I’m sorely mistaken, the only significant championship he achieved lies a moldering in the basement.

WC, I was a fan of UK athletics in the 80’s, but I grew to understand that the means to success employed by the likes of Cliff Hagen and others was not worth the price we ultimately paid. By all appearances, the collapse of the powers at U of L has been a multitude of embarrassments compared to UK’s shenanigans of those days.

Sometimes it just takes time for moral clarity to emerge.

Hmmmm.

I guess that Ramsey dude did as well. He gave Jurich free rein, so . . . .

As to Jurich and his “great” job, unless I’m sorely mistaken, the only significant championship he achieved lies a moldering in the basement.

WC, I was a fan of UK athletics in the 80’s, but I grew to understand that the means to success employed by the likes of Cliff Hagen and others was not worth the price we ultimately paid. By all appearances, the collapse of the powers at U of L has been a multitude of embarrassments compared to UK’s shenanigans of those days.

Sometimes it just takes time for moral clarity to emerge.
Jurich steered UofL through 4 conference affiliations and raised hundreds of millions of dollars for athletic infrastructure with any help whatsoever from state government. Ultimately got UofL in what we now call a P5 conference. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with that resume. Other than raise some facility money in recent years UK has not faced those problems. FWIW, the first expansion of CWS was done by some kind of "off the books" loan from the state which was paid off a few years ago.

But, yes, things are pretty ugly right now as far as the 2 major revenue sports are concerned. UK is in the same basketball payout scandal as UofL and others but is not presently in a probationary status as are the Cards. Football is back to the same "start over" situation it was left in, first by Cooper then by Kragthorpe. We'll see how it goes.

Peace

Jurich steered UofL through 4 conference affiliations and raised hundreds of millions of dollars for athletic infrastructure with any help whatsoever from state government. Ultimately got UofL in what we now call a P5 conference. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with that resume. Other than raise some facility money in recent years UK has not faced those problems. FWIW, the first expansion of CWS was done by some kind of "off the books" loan from the state which was paid off a few years ago.

But, yes, things are pretty ugly right now as far as the 2 major revenue sports are concerned. UK is in the same basketball payout scandal as UofL and others but is not presently in a probationary status as are the Cards. Football is back to the same "start over" situation it was left in, first by Cooper then by Kragthorpe. We'll see how it goes.

Peace
I think that UL was actually getting 8-10 million from the state in subsidies , at least they were a few years back when UK was getting ZERO

Peace
What?

Reactions: fabcat

Peace

Talk to Tyra about the money and the Foundation and how Jurich grossly overpaid his son, etc. All the crap has not surfaced.

Wildcard talking about the 12 apostles: “I know things got ugly with Judas and I was not happy with the stealing and betrayal, but the guy did walk with Jesus for three years and probably did some good stuff. And, let me remind you that Jesus once called your boy Peter satan!”

If your neighbor is a crook, but spends his money buying you nice things and good meals, do you think highly of him after you discover he stole that money from others?

:)

Piece

Peace
Uavel is a den of thieves Hiring Hookers Strippers Paying Turtleneck son $800,000 for a job he never did Giveme an F break Holier than thou bull shit

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Seems Wildcard would defend everything that U6 does, even if it destroys the entire city tax payer's.

GBB

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT