ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins should start Friday....

uk#1alltime

Junior
Apr 24, 2010
I would have him face guarding Alford..make sure he gets zero open looks. They feed off his 3 point makes. Just my thought...if not start Hawkins Briscoe will have a quick hook if he isnt putting pressure on Alford.

I'd like to say we are better with Hawkins over Briscoe, but when Briscoe is putting up stats like the first 2 SEC tourney games we are a really good team.

I doubt Cal will change the starting 5 at this point but I would say Hawkins will be in quickly if Alford hits a couple right away with bad defense.

Reactions: uk#1alltime
Nope. Dance with the girl that brought you. No reason to tinker with lineups unnecessarily and I like Hawkins being a spark plug off the bench.

I agree but hopefully we dont need that spark so soon off the bench...Hawkins has been outstanding besides the airball lol

Reactions: EliteBlue
Hawkins brings energy off the bench. And starting is a moot point, all about the minutes played

Reactions: GFANBB
Hawkins brings energy off the bench. And starting is a moot point, all about the minutes played

Starting is not a moot point...thats cliche. It depends on the situation...getting down early because of lack of focus on defense can lead to a loss...and so sometimes it does matter who starts.

Starting is not a moot point...thats cliche. It depends on the situation...getting down early because of lack of focus on defense can lead to a loss...and so sometimes it does matter who starts.
So starting Briscoe ensues a lack of focus on defense? Not buying that one

Reactions: JC43 and brianpoe
This team is SIGNIFICANTLY better with Hawkins in the floor. Briscoe does little to help. Offensively he's useless and tends to be a lazy defender. No excuse to not play Dom significantly more.

This team is SIGNIFICANTLY better with Hawkins in the floor. Briscoe does little to help. Offensively he's useless and tends to be a lazy defender. No excuse to not play Dom significantly more.
They may be better with Hawkins but the Briscoe is a lazy defender narrative is a pretty tough sell. He's a very dependable defender and always gives great effort.

If anything we're better with Hawkins because he knows who, and what, he is at this point and stays in his lane. Briscoe hasn't quite figured out he's a role player who isn't a featured offensive weapon yet. He will.

I had the same thought, OP . . . except I was thinking about Dom guarding Ball. Your thought about Dom guarding Alford is better, though.

As for Briscoe, I think I agree that the better course is to continue to start Briscoe. But I agree with the underlying premise that Dom is a much more effective defender against guards than Briscoe. I also think that Dom's recent surge in confidence has made him a much better offensive player than Briscoe. And finally . . . Briscoe puts up good stat lines against teams that are comparable to our first two opponents in the SEC tournament. I haven't gone back to check, but if somebody else has the time I'd be interested to see all of Briscoe's stat lines against "good teams."

But, whatever . . . GO 'CATS ! ! !

Everyone has an opinions, even bad ones.

Briscoe is the best defender of the 3 starting guards by a far margin.

Also, Briscoe can eat in the middle of their zone - Dom can't.

I am as thrilled as everyone else that in Dom's last month of his career that he is contributing more than just defense and hustle. His shot looks really good now.

But no need in bashing Briscoe, he has played well too and is a tough defender.

A years worth of defeat and still trying , it's not even a worthy enough of a cause to be this determined . Let go , it's time to come together .

Unfortunately for my nerves, this teams seems like one that almost needs to trail at some point and keep an overall closer score to keep them motivated. Whenever we get even decent size leads we tend to lose focus and intensity until it gets close again. That can be a product of having a young teak sometimes. However, on the bright side, we have really shown a great skill at closing out games the last couple months.

Reactions: uk#1alltime
I would have him face guarding Alford..make sure he gets zero open looks. They feed off his 3 point makes. Just my thought...if not start Hawkins Briscoe will have a quick hook if he isnt putting pressure on Alford.
Were you the one who Tweeted the call in show about this?

Reactions: awf

I am as thrilled as everyone else that in Dom's last month of his career that he is contributing more than just defense and hustle. His shot looks really good now.

I'm glad you prefaced that with saying it's a bad opinion. I agree, your opinion is really bad.

Dead on the money. To an extent, we are SO fortunate to have a guard (Hawk) that can backup any of the three starters. Why anyone would screw that up by futzing with the line up so late in the season is utter nonsense. This is not to mention that the starting lineup is starting to play well in ALL facets of the game.

Reactions: brianpoe
I love Briscoe but he is kind of boom or bust in big games. If he starts out the game trying too hard on Friday, Cal needs to bring in Hawk and sit him to calm him down, just like he did last Sunday.

Reactions: JC43
Briscoe was fine Sunday. He didn't force shots or play hero ball. We need more from him offensively the next however many games if we have any shot of reaching the promise land.

I'm glad you prefaced that with saying it's a bad opinion. I agree, your opinion is really bad.

I guess, it will be me, Cal, and the majority in this thread with the bad opinion then.

Can't believe you are not coaching some P5 or NBA team with such commanding insight.

I think DIallo should start. Just kidding. We don't need to change anything we are on a nice streak.

I'm sorry you're unable to see the truth. Briscoe hurts this team far more than he helps. One day you'll be smart enough to see the truth. Maybe...

You've advised Cal of this colossal mistake? Who is the smarter? Some ill informed anonymous hater posting on a fan board or a guy with championships under his belt that is paid millions to do his job? There is no maybe to it. You will not be smart enough to do Cal's job. Cal starts Briscoe.

Rightly so. And I am certain he is thankful to have Hawkins in relief.

Anyone who would want to mess with a rotation right now, in the middle of a win streak, is not thinking right or just dumb. Specially if their reasoning is because Briscoe is a hinderence on offense. I agree that his shot isn't pure or consistent but he shoots .100 better than Hawk and made 1 less 3 pointer in the same amount of shots. Also is the 2nd best in assists and rebounds per game on the team. So to say he is bogging the offense down is assinine. He does so many things only real basketball savvy fans understand the importance of, which most UK fans are. That's why anyone who says otherwise looks so moronic.

Cal has his reasons for being loyal to Briscoe. The love affair some of you have with Briscoe is just crazy and weird. Cal doesn't completely disagree with me though, he's been known to sit Briscoe for long stretches.

ADVERTISEMENT