ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins should start Friday....

Cal has his reasons for being loyal to Briscoe. The love affair some of you have with Briscoe is just crazy and weird. Cal doesn't completely disagree with me though, he's been known to sit Briscoe for long stretches.

It's not the love affair affair with Briscoe, it is your hater mentality towards the kid.

Briscoe is the much better rebounder per 40 minutes at 7.1 per game Hawkins grabs 3.6 rebounds per 40.

Briscoe is a solid defender, Dom is our best on ball defender.

Briscoe is 16 for 57 from 3 and Dom is 17 for 57.

Briscoe is 47% from the floor while Dom is only 38%.

Briscoe is definitley the better penetrator and our option vs a zone defense in the middle.

Dom is the better free throw shooter.

Before the SEC tourney Dom had one game in 4 years that his offense helped win the game and that was vs UL when he hit a couple of 3's.

We are all very happy he has come this far but it is strange to want to to change the starting lineup.

Take our spark off the bench and start him for only the 2nd-3rd time in 4 years in the Sweet 16?

It just doesn't make basketball sense.

Briscoe causes us all anxiety at times, but he also gets huge rebounds, drives the ball hard, is a good interior passer in the paint and draws fouls ...when he isn't stepping out of bounds or getting his shot blocked.

IMO, it is probably an emotional opinion because you still cant get over Briscoe's shooting last year or that he hasnt lived up to his high school hype.

I honestly believe if Dom was the current starter, you would be chirping for Briscoe because less is expected of bench players and the hype is huge when they play well.

There isn't any circumstance I'd be wanting Briscoe on the floor. I don't believe he's good for this team, but the icing on the cake for me is his attitude. He sometimes plays cheap and talks a lot without backing it up. Liggins was an effective trash talker because it got in the opposing players head. Briscoe tends to get in his own head. Then he does ridiculous things like body slamming a player. If Briscoe weren't a wildcat, we'd hate him for being a cheap shot player.

That block by Bam to end the game confirms to me, this is a team that wants "to be like Hawk & Willis". That block by Monk on the 3 was the clue.

What they used to do: (Hawk in the pic from the UF gm)
GettyImages-645342440_inmbxc.jpg

Last edited:
As frustrated as I've been with Briscoe sometimes, and have gone back and forth on this, I think Hawkins is best off the bench.

But Hawkins has become one of my favorite Cats ever. Love his effort and hope he can get a championship to cap off his career.

I'd like to say we are better with Hawkins over Briscoe, but when Briscoe is putting up stats like the first 2 SEC tourney games we are a really good team.
Briscoe cannot be trusted against elite competition. Throughout his career, and in the SEC Tourney you are alluding to, he has primarily excelled against weaker competition while struggling against legit teams.

The more minutes Briscoe plays against teams like UCLA, UNC, and KU, the more likely we are to lose.

So I'm with OP. Let's start Hawk in Briscoe's place and see what happens.

Last edited:
There isn't any circumstance I'd be wanting Briscoe on the floor. I don't believe he's good for this team, but the icing on the cake for me is his attitude. He sometimes plays cheap and talks a lot without backing it up. Liggins was an effective trash talker because it got in the opposing players head. Briscoe tends to get in his own head. Then he does ridiculous things like body slamming a player. If Briscoe weren't a wildcat, we'd hate him for being a cheap shot player.

I am not going to disagree with the attitude part. He definitley crosses the line between being tough and being an ass.

I simply cannot agree with you or @CincyUKFan that now is the time to change the lineup and rotation in the Sweet 16. Makes no sense to me at all. Dom brings a lot off the bench, we need that. Wish Wenyen would get the same memo...

Reactions: AGEE11
They may be better with Hawkins but the Briscoe is a lazy defender narrative is a pretty tough sell. He's a very dependable defender and always gives great effort.

If anything we're better with Hawkins because he knows who, and what, he is at this point and stays in his lane. Briscoe hasn't quite figured out he's a role player who isn't a featured offensive weapon yet. He will.
This.

Hawk knows his role and plays accordingly.

Briscoe has no idea that he is the 5th option when he's on the court with the starters.

This.

Hawk knows his role and plays accordingly.

Briscoe has no idea that he is the 5th option when he's on the court with the starters.

He does end up with the ball as the shot clock is running out way too often...

Briscoe should be able to be effective against UCLA, must make better decisions than last time though. He might draw Alford. UNC is not a good matchup for him with all their length and Jackson.

just thought I'd remind people that ucla will zone us..... and they have tall big men... you know, the bane of fox and briscoe trying to score down low?

Better pray to god that fox and briscoe can hit some jumpers because they'll have to take several

just thought I'd remind people that ucla will zone us..... and they have tall big men... you know, the bane of fox and briscoe trying to score down low?

Better pray to god that fox and briscoe can hit some jumpers because they'll have to take several

[pfftt]

You better not get on a pro UNC kick like you have UCLA for the past week after we beat the Bruins' asses.

No starting Briscoe you WILL NOT get the same intensity on defense...which could lead to a early lead for them.
Well let me ask you this hypothetical, say we start Hawkins and they still jump out to an early lead. Who do we look to bring in off the bench to try and provide a spark? Some guys like Hawkins are more beneficial coming off the bench

[pfftt]

You better not get on a pro UNC kick like you have UCLA for the past week after we beat the Bruins' asses.

If you rebound with UNCheat you can beat them......

and I hope you are right ..... I really don't want to go into next year worrying about losing a 4th straight to those Californian a holes

Well let me ask you this hypothetical, say we start Hawkins and they still jump out to an early lead. Who do we look to bring in off the bench to try and provide a spark? Some guys like Hawkins are more beneficial coming off the bench

That makes sense...but this is college basketball not the NBA...I have seen Hawkins put into the game 2 min into the start. Trust me if we get down early it wont be because of the lack of defensive effort by Hawkins. But in that case he would bring in Briscoe. Its obvious that right now we are better team when Hawkins is disrupting..we need Both players tho in the long run. I just like what Hawk brings.

That makes sense...but this is college basketball not the NBA...I have seen Hawkins put into the game 2 min into the start. Trust me if we get down early it wont be because of the lack of defensive effort by Hawkins. But in that case he would bring in Briscoe. Its obvious that right now we are better team when Hawkins is disrupting..we need Both players tho in the long run. I just like what Hawk brings.
See I don't like these conversations because I LOVE Hawkins and what he's been doing. We're a much better team with him on the floor. I just don't jive with the idea that a guy needs to start. Hawkins is thriving in the role he's in right now, why change it?

See I don't like these conversations because I LOVE Hawkins and what he's been doing. We're a much better team with him on the floor. I just don't jive with the idea that a guy needs to start. Hawkins is thriving in the role he's in right now, why change it?

I can agree with that one. Why change things up when we are winning...I just hope everyone comes out and plays fast and finishes the 1st half and comes out strong to start the 2nd half...two things that cost us last game vs UCLA.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT