ADVERTISEMENT

Hilarious headline- Cousins confused by

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Falcons pick of QB Penix.

L M A O

That's a story on ESPN right now. Confused, shocked, .... what's shocking is that Atlanta signed Cousins to a 4 yr 180M contract. But fcol WHY would ANYONE in the league be shocked, confused, or surprised that a team would make a pick of what they felt was the best available talent, regardless of position?

If my QB is shocked or confused by draft picks, maybe I'd be regretting the 4 yr 180M. What's going to happen when the D fakes a blitz? Is he gonna have his agent call the league president before the snap?

All true…but rhe falcons defense could have used some front seven help snd now they have no cap room to sign a free agent nor draft talent to fill the void

So cousins better put up 30 pts a week

Atlanta is silly

They could have chosen better, but I don't see why Cousins' agent is making comments like this. All kinds of silliness to go round down there

The drafting of Penix and Nix were among the most foolish decisions I've ever seen

It's almost as if these teams didn't evaluate very deep into the talent pool. Got caught looking into the backfield instead of staying on their assignment.

Reactions: CastleRubric
The Broncos, once again, reached badly for a QB in Nix. Many insiders thought he was a 2nd rounder. I know the team has Jarrett Stidham and, now, Zach Wilson at QB who probably aren't going to win you many games, but they are so focused on getting The Next Franchise QB that they do stupid things. With a roster literally full of holes at edge, TE, OL, RB, etc, they overdraft a QB. Nix could prove to be a solid pick. But no one expects him to be elite. And, they have no 2nd round pick and very limited cap room. Looks like it's gonna be a long season, again, in Broncos country.

L M A O

That's a story on ESPN right now. Confused, shocked, .... what's shocking is that Atlanta signed Cousins to a 4 yr 180M contract. But fcol WHY would ANYONE in the league be shocked, confused, or surprised that a team would make a pick of what they felt was the best available talent, regardless of position?

If my QB is shocked or confused by draft picks, maybe I'd be regretting the 4 yr 180M. What's going to happen when the D fakes a blitz? Is he gonna have his agent call the league president before the snap?
People may be shocked, but they aren't thinking big picture as a GM must. I would argue drafting a QB here not a huge surprise, but maybe which QB is. Cousins' contract only guarantees the first two years and he's old. They draft a talented project QB, stick him as an understudy under Cousins and hope he takes the reigns in year 3 when they can cut Cousins for a minimal cost or ask him to take a pay cut to back up the young guy.

People may be shocked, but they aren't thinking big picture as a GM must. I would argue drafting a QB here not a huge surprise, but maybe which QB is. Cousins' contract only guarantees the first two years and he's old. They draft a talented project QB, stick him as an understudy under Cousins and hope he takes the reigns in year 3 when they can cut Cousins for a minimal cost or ask him to take a pay cut to back up the young guy.
Or you draft a top 10 talent who isn't a QB, put him on the field day 1 to instantly help you win

Reactions: Ky grandpa

L M A O

Remember the first Falcon draft, their first pick was a winner, Tommy Nobis, 10 years later they made another good 1st pick, Steve Barkowski. The other near 60 1st picks have been much like this one. I expected a dumb pick but this one even caught me off guard. I guess Blank will threaten to move them if he doesn't get a new stadium in a couple years. My thought is Delta has dailey flights out of town.

How did the move to the new stadium work out for atlanta?

I know its been a while but they still played downtown when i left there in 2011

They're in Gwinnett Co now?
Wonder how they sit financially with that decision?

Sometimes NFL teams are prioritizing entertainment vs building a team to win the division-conference-league

• Love
Reactions: Girthang
Remember the first Falcon draft, their first pick was a winner, Tommy Nobis, 10 years later they made another good 1st pick, Steve Barkowski. The other near 60 1st picks have been much like this one. I expected a dumb pick but this one even caught me off guard. I guess Blank will threaten to move them if he doesn't get a new stadium in a couple years. My thought is Delta has dailey flights out of town.

They drafted good talent around Bart too
The two Jenkins receivers
William Andrews / Bean at RB
Jeff VanNote on the Online and a strong set of pass rushers

That was Coach VanBrocklin right?

I lived there during the Mike Vick / Matty Ice (<<----can't remember his actual name) chapters

Brian Finnerian and his 54 knee injuries

Reactions: Girthang
They drafted good talent around Bart too
The two Jenkins receivers
William Andrews / Bean at RB
Jeff VanNote on the Online and a strong set of pass rushers

That was Coach VanBrocklin right?

I lived there during the Mike Vick / Matty Ice (<<----can't remember his actual name) chapters

Brian Finnerian and his 54 knee injuries

I thought cannot was a trade but sure about that. They also trade for Whiteshoes Johnson. But those picks weren't 1st rounders. Andrew's was a 3rd rounder, the first rounder, Gerald Riggs, was Andrew's backup until Andrew's hurt his knee. They had an OT from ND who played forever who was pretty good.

Van Brocklin was gone when Bark arrived. It's just been a cluster their entire existence on poor drafting, poor trades and bad contracts.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
How did the move to the new stadium work out for atlanta?

I know its been a while but they still played downtown when i left there in 2011

They're in Gwinnett Co now?
Wonder how they sit financially with that decision?

Sometimes NFL teams are prioritizing entertainment vs building a team to win the division-conference-league

No, it's in the parking lot of the old Georgia dome, which was torn down to make a parking lot for the Benz. Turner field was left empty when the Braves moved 20 miles north to Marietta. Atlanta is one of the poorest managed cities in the country. Multiple elected and appointed officials serving time, sheriff candidates shooting at each other. Crazy place.

No, it's in the parking lot of the old Georgia dome, which was torn down to make a parking lot for the Benz. Turner field was left empty when the Braves moved 20 miles north to Marietta. Atlanta is one of the poorest managed cities in the country. Multiple elected and appointed officials serving time, sheriff candidates shooting at each other. Crazy place.
I think Turner Field was converted to be the home of Georgia State Football

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Agreed, but it’s still $45 million a year for at least two years.
That is less than half the avg guarantee for a starting NFL QB, which is over $200mm, which highlights a few of my earlier posts and why so many QBs are drafted in the first round.

Or you draft a top 10 talent who isn't a QB, put him on the field day 1 to instantly help you win
If that is what the analytics said then that's what everyone would be doing. That is the old way of thinking and some teams are forced into the tract, but the numbers are clear. Elite QB or very low chance of going anywhere laudable.

I think Turner Field was converted to be the home of Georgia State Football

It was, not sure about the business end, but Atlanta was trying to get a bigger percentage of gross proceeds, Braves were balking and a Cobb county/Marietta group offered an acceptable contract and flipped to Cobb. City of Atlanta caught by complete surprise and were ready to negotiate, but was a done deal.

Fulton Co outline on a map looks gerrymandered

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT