ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football provides more opportunities than basketball to get to the college level. Plus when Mumme was here, he chastised the state for having no spring ball, which resulted in spring practices now. All of that takes kids away from bball. Unfortunately, it has hurt KY hs bball and I can't see that it's done much to improve the football talent level.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Kids shouldn't be playing contact football until, at the earliest, 5th grade. And I agree somewhat with the thought that the fundamentals can be learned at any time, but it's a very complex game that kids sometimes have difficulty grasping schematically. Likewise, I say let them play flag football as early as possible just to sort of begin the process of understanding what a coach is trying to tell you about assignments, alignments, etc.

I also think you're really underestimating the element of contact. A 14 year old kid going out for football his freshman year without ever having been hit, or delivered a hit, is going to be behind. He may even be a pussy, but nobody would know until he plays the game with pads. Then you'll learn pretty quickly if he's a football player or not. Usually takes a week of full contact. Seen it a hundred times.
Down here in Texas they are saying 7th grade but it doesn't seem to stop them. There are flag leagues and 7v7 leagues galore if you want to follow that route though.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
I should let my child run ultra marathons instead and put crazy amounts of stress on his body.

A weird side effect of the proliferation of the 7-vs-7, spread, passing mentality that has taken over high school football is that teams have no idea how to deal with power running teams like my old high school, which has run the wishbone/flex for longer than any of us has been alive. They line up and play smashmouth football, and you can actually see their opponents wilt from shock and lack of familiarity.

Reactions: Mashburned
I was one of the idiot parents who had his 6 year old play tackle football (with some of the older kids in the league turning 8).

I (and unfortunately my son) learned the hard way that he wasn't one of those kind of kids. Blessing in disguise, as he has not wanted any part of football for the last 3 years.

Helluva baseball player, though. And he loves basketball, too. I can most definitely live with that.

Jermaine Brown was the starting power forward for Fairdale on their back to back state champ teams in 90 & 91. Kid was 6'3 and a total freak athlete & a really good football player. Had a scholarship offer from UT to play football or basketball.

He had a much higher ceiling in football playing defensive end vs sticking with basketball as a 6'3" undersized power forward. Ended up signing with UT to play basketball. Something happened with his eligibility and he ended up playing bball at Georgetown College.

Guess 25 years later that kid plays football.

My good friends were the starting QB and WR on the football team. I'd run routes with them in the summer just for my own basketball conditioning. I had decent hands and I was tall/could jump. Both BEGGED me to play. Nope. I wasn't about to get broken in half on a slant and miss the basketball season.

I did not like contact and I was a p----. So what?

Something to think about, too.....football is easily the least lucrative major professional sport. And I'm even throwing all of em out there. Basketball, baseball, golf, NASCAR, soccer, whatever. It's amazing how few NFL players make *huge* money, particularly over a long period of time.

Jermaine Brown was the best player I played football against in HS. Total freak. Could've made the NFL. But like you said, he chased his basketball dreams even though he was an undersized 3.

-Well of the 11 there is a some obscurity so we'll need to firm that up I'm sure before making a bet that could cost you $12500. Obviously the richie one is not measurable. Also, Bob, if the other things happen you're getting a lap band. But if we can get that narrowed down I'm in for sure.

-G won't be playing football. Being committed to any sport takes dedication. The same could be said for a number of difficult sports. Football certainly doesn't own the rights to difficult activities. Lol, at football dad. Predictable response. Sorry guys, this is science you're arguing. Actual documented proof. It's not safe but go ahead and keep trying to convince us the offsetting character it builds is worth it.

-Only have 1 BGE, big guy. Got my buddy Charles A. hooked up with the one I never used. New hand carved handle and custom granite tables. Nice little upgrade for the 8 year old egg. He has a renewed since of pride.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
Jermaine Brown had the nastiest dunk I had ever seen in person when I was at Lindsey. Dude was left handed and I think lefties dunk the ball "prettier" (see, Kendal Gill). Anyhow, he catches a miss off the back of the rim, splits our 2 6'8 guys in the air, catches it with his left hand, and crams it back down on both of them. The sound was more of an implosion than an explosion. He was so strong. . . and probably 22 at the time ('95).

Our entire gym, filled with homeboys that couldn't get eligible, hooted and hollered like it was an And-1 mix tape and just ran out of the gym and didn't come back.

4007f320a88634c14dd8640dfaa51551.jpg
kendall-gill-of-the-charlotte-hornets-dunks-against-kevin-gamble-and-picture-id494158343
GillKendall-lg.jpg
69e259c821bc6b1c19c73c2954d4a539.jpg
88982416-kendall-gill-of-the-new-jersey-nets-dunks-gettyimages.jpg
c9d6b315b92bd807ac5515cb51c4ee13.jpg

I think he's talking about Kendall Gill.

My 7 year old starts playing contact football today. He said he wanted to play and frankly needs the discipline. We will see.

Not a lot of white kids playing football, at least public league football. I'm sure that's different at the Catholic level, but even most of the big schools locally have had to merge their programs due to dropoffs in participation. Of the 4 public football teams I saw last weekend, I would say the demographics were 60% Black 30% White 10% Other. It was pretty eye opening tbh.

Those demographic numbers have been the norm in Lex for decades, from youth to public HS (except for Lex Cath, who has seen their % of black players rise in recent years thanks to recruiting)

Congrats on allowing your son to play. Parents who intentionally are not letting their kids play football for fear of stubbing a toe are ridic.

Some might say there's more to being a good father/family man than letting your kids play certain sports.

My fake sons wouldn't be permitted to participate in any extracurricular activities because their fake father really likes his weekends.

GYERO's without kids telling a parent what to do/what sports a child should play always makes me smile.

We did it one year. Brady was the honk tailback that carried the load in tight spaces. He was a little Mike Alstott.

Two things.

1) Their first long TD is a feeling you can't describe.

2) The fear you have when five kids are piled on his back is the exact opposite.

Our coaches screamed at six year olds for two hours, man handle them when they don't do what they ask. In general, just guys that shouldn't be coaching kids. Between that and #2 it just isn't worth #1. Let alone with the concussion issue as they get older and all the BS practices/travel etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukalum01

given his silence since the announcement, I'm assuming the TV show news was not well received by all his employers

I tried to tell Bob this was going to happen we he moved way out there. One of the least convenient areas in the city. No matter how much you sell it no one is happily rolling out to Hamburg. That hot tub could be stocked with playmates and crys and you wouldn't get a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT