ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camped at NKU, Transy, Georgetown and UK.

Not surprisingly, one was different than the others. UK is just a much higher class event.

<----- Way out in front on going to Don Lane's camps. I was at least 10-15 years ahead of you boys.

don%20lane%20camp%20shirt.jpg

2 day leftover basketball camp pizza = [sick]

Had a run of food poisoning at UK camp. Kids from this one section of the dorms were puking everywhere from eating old pizza. And then other kids would puke after they saw the initial puke. Puke all over Seaton Center floors. Puke everywhere.

:eek:

In between scrimmages at Macy's camp they would set up a tv and VCR showing those NBA highlight films on loop. Jordan's " Come Fly With Me", Bird's tape with Mellencamp's "Small Town" backdrop and Barkley dunking on everyone to Pat Benatar's " Hit With Your Best Shot" jamming along. Would get you all hype before playing your next game.

Locations of Camp Roommates??? Culture shock for us Louisville folk.

UK Basketball Camp Year 1 - Whitesburg, KY
UK Basketball Camp Year 2 - Middletown, OH
UK Football Camp - Ironton, OH
EKU Football Camp - Barbourville, KY
Naval Academy Camp - Philadelphia, PA

Had no idea what a Whitesburg, KY even was. Crazy ass school tshirts like MC Napier, Buckhorn...where are these places???

o_O

Thought Jordan was Take My Breath Away?

The Dominique/Yanni song was dope, too. Went really well with the AM commute to the Omni in his little car lol ha and those slow-mo high flying acrobatics. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

edit add: Screw it - will just leave it here for all to enjoy.

Reactions: 80 Proof
I camped at Berea with world renowned bball guru Roland Wierwille. What a time! He was very positive and instructional. My favorite part was the cafeteria and the giant wall of cereal they had. It was unreal. Stacked 3 tall with about 10 cereals per row. Never forget that. Still haven't seen a cereal collection that comes close.

In between scrimmages at Macy's camp they would set up a tv and VCR showing those NBA highlight films on loop. Jordan's " Come Fly With Me", Bird's tape with Mellencamp's "Small Town" backdrop and Barkley dunking on everyone to Pat Benatar's " Hit With Your Best Shot" jamming along. Would get you all hype before playing your next game.

Was so dope. Also appreciated that the 5 on 5 teams were named after pro teams. Nice touch.

Also, they would rent a Uhaul truck to transport campers back and forth between Georgetown College and some middle school gym across town. Just nuts to butts 9-11 year olds piled into the back sitting indian style with the gate wide open. Can't imagine that would fly today.

Nathan Pop would attend and this was back when he was considered a prodigy. Kid was actually just an asshole imo.

Reactions: IsRichieGonnaStart
Ha, Nique was definitely overrated but I have a feeling Carmelo will top that list before it's all said and done.

I've got old boy Scout camp stories for days. Yall lemme know when you're ready for a topic change.

Hash tag not athletic.

*1st year Mike Jarvis was my coach then they changed the rule.

*Conservation Camp(is that 4H?) was a blast. Loved that shit.

*Bob, you were not a poor black kid growing up. Save it.

*Jack Fry's tonight. WOOOT!!

I have attended two weddings in the past four years. Don Lane has been at both weddings. I think that dude is a straight-up wedding crasher.

There's no way any player will ever touch Luke Hancock in my eyes as my most despised player ever on the college level. Not possible. Made my skin crawl.

Got so bent out shape when he karate chopped Ron Baker in the Final Four then hit a 3 and did his 3 shots to the dome bullshit. Lost my mind for a few minutes at my buddy's place.

That's all Don Lane does now- crash Lexington area weddings. But he's real nice about it and everyone is cool with including him on their special day.

Luke Hancock is definitely at the top. Agree 100%. Loathed and feared no other player like him, b/c you knew it was associated with a lot of BS.

Barkley's was "I am the Warrior" by Patty Smyth.

Barkley's was my favorite. Him taking those free throws with one eye swollen shut. Then later he lets the ball bounce in front of him until his defender swipes at it, he grabs it, and beats all five defenders on his way to the basket... Half of that video was him barking at refs. Chuck was awesome.

Those are tight. Glad they got ride of the green/red Christmas bullshit.

Had no idea what a Whitesburg, KY even was. Crazy ass school tshirts like MC Napier, Buckhorn...where are these places???

o_O

MC Napier Navajos..school on the other side of Hazard. Napier consolidated with Dilce Combs HS in Pippa Passes, and became Perry Central.

Buckhorn Wildcats--Little town just outside of Hazard, also where Buckhorn Lake State park is. They won the 14th back to back..90/91, iirc?

Whitesburg--Letcher Co, next county over from Perry (Hazard). Letcher Central now I believe.

<--Kyle Macy camp attendee back when it was at Tates Creek HS. Kyle was there, but Nolan Barger was the man running the show though.

Watching Poythress completely shut him down coming down the stretch in that Sweet 16 game may have been my most non championship game gratifying feeling as a UK fan. LUUUUUUUKE trying his usual bullshit and Poythress not giving him an inch. Hancock falls down, the ball bounces off his knees... Cats' ball. Touch you.

Best kick I ever owned:

Air%20Jordan%205%20Black%20Varsity%20Red%20Metallic%20Silver.jpg

Wanted these but never got them. Pretty tight:

Nike-89-0.jpg

- Dave Odom then Skip Prosser (RIP) basketball camps for me. I got invited to the "elite" camp my sophomore year of high school because one of my teammates/friends was being recruited by Wake. I was pumped, who would I be playing against? LeBron was in my class, would he be there? Oak Hill's Steve Smith was one of the counselors, surely Melo and Dasagana Diop would come with him!

Nope. Biggest name there was Major Wingate.

This was when I told Steve Smith I was a UK fan and asked about Carruth and Smith, his own coach, told me he was "crazy in the head."

- Remember that Adam Williams kid who committed here from Huntington, WV? What was the story with him...didn't he go to one of Tubby's regular camps and get an offer? Pretty unreal. I know there was some rumor that he mistook a Tubby compliment as an offer, never bought that though.

- Pippen is known as "No Tippin Pippen" in Chicago. Notorious for NEVER tipping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT