ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the friends/kids I know who've been got pictures, autographs, etc with Cal & every player...basically seemed like the most surreal/coolest thing ever for a little UK fan, with an obvious high price tag.

Stick w/ Rick Carlisle.
I just saw a post on Raftards that says pretty much the exact opposite of him. To be fair, my cousin and his wife are very uppity, and expect to be dazzled and catered to(they have a nanny). Probably didn't get enough one on one time.

Mashburn - When he drove the lane particularly. Smoothest shit I had ever seen.

Delk - From Treyville, USA. Omega FTW.

Shep - Early teen years, but I liked that weird way he kept his head and shoulders steady when he dribbled and attacked the basket.

Got my shot blocked all the time trying to shoot like Bird. It helps that he's 6'9". 8" shorter vs. 6'6" jump out the gym...you do what you got to do.

Yep, I fully expect Golden State to forfeit the next few games.

rolleyes.jpg

Which is exactly what I said in 10 words which you chose to cut out of your quote.

Glad you agree with me though.

Reggie Hanson was my coach at PitinoCamp in 92. He had just spent his first year out of college playing in Japan or something. Was in complete awe as a youngster.

My buddy and I got to play Pitino and Billy Donovan in 2 on 2. The rule was you made one shot and you win. They had to hit 2 shots to win. We got ball first. I made a cut on Pitino to the basket and my buddy made a crisp bounce pass to me. I blew the lay up.

Pitino rips the ball down lecturing me on how I didn't use the glass in a taunting manner and passes to Billy the Kid who pump faked my buddy. One bounce. Jump shot at the elbow. Net. Make it take it. Next possession they do a give and go and Pitino banks a jumper from the wing. Game.

Pitino was such a competitive bastard that he was out there trying to rip kids' hearts outs. Don't think any campers beat he and Donovan. Donovan was good. Really good.

Reactions: catfanbrad
Donovan was by the nicest dude I met at the camps and he didn't have to be. The other assistants were fine but he would just hang out with the kids. Just a great dude which I still hear from people I know that are friends with him. Cam Mills was an asshole to the kids. Glad he's fat.

- 1. Davender 2. Chapman

Also a little Stacey Augmon in there when the rims were lowered.

- My cousin and his boy LOVED the Father/Son Camp last year.

- Gary Parrish drives me nuts on his podcast by insisting on calling all the coaches by their first name.

It's very difficult for me to take anything Parrish says seriously. He's not awful, generally, but Christ...look at him.

Gary-Parrish-3.jpg

Reactions: Mashburned
Pitino brought out Mash one day for some drill work. He wanted to show everyone the 360 spin dribble that Mash was so good at. Only way I could've been more star struck was if Michael Jordan came up and autographed my Jordan kicks.

Gary Parrish is the classic outside of the crew lurker that wants to be in the crew sooooo bad. He wants to be boys with the coaches so bad it hurts him. Just wants to be a cool guy. In real life he looks awful. We sat next to him and Goodman at an STL bar for at least 3-4 hours. He was wearing a red beanie and hipster clothing. He's an epic douche. They love Chris Mack because I guess he entertains them but goodness it's nauseating. Be a professional not a Penny Lane.

Pitino brought out Mash one day for some drill work. He wanted to show everyone the 360 spin dribble that Mash was so good at. Only way I could've been more star struck was if Michael Jordan came up and autographed my Jordan kicks.
We may have been at the same camp. 3 years and it was always rumored that he was coming and he did once. OMG, I was beside myself. Seriously Mash would be the only person I'd still be star struck by. He was supposed to go on that Cote d'Azur cruise we went on(didn't end up going) and I was already planning one how to become besties.

Think Parrish has gotten back in Cal's good graces. He somehow got access to Cal this past season for some one on one interviews that usually are limited to Katz, Bilas, etc.

Love it when Goodman requests a media credential for Rupp and they send him way up in the rafters.

Gary Parrish is the classic outside of the crew lurker that wants to be in the crew sooooo bad. He wants to be boys with the coaches so bad it hurts him. Just wants to be a cool guy. In real life he looks awful. We sat next to him and Goodman at an STL bar for at least 3-4 hours. He was wearing a red beanie and hipster clothing. He's an epic douche. They love Chris Mack because I guess he entertains them but goodness it's nauseating. Be a professional not a Penny Lane.

Pretty much what I figured with him. Few things I find more nauseating than "journalists" on the jocks and wanting to be peers of who they're covering.

Seems like that's just the way things go with black sports writers, though- Wilbon, Steven A. Smith, etc. How many times do those hacks name drop?

The ONLY thing that sucked about the Rick Pitino camp is the silly NCAA rule back then which wouldn't allow current players to be counselors.

Eddie Sutton camp back in the day...wearing a sweatsuit and drinking a beer during pictures. Good times.

Jimmy Dykes LOVED making kids do wall chairs as punishment. :uzi:

We went to Kyle Macy's camp in Georgetown every year because Dad said we wouldn't learn anything at Pitino's camp and Macy's actually taught the game/fundamentals.

Talked him into Pitino's camp one year and realized he was 100% right. Was obviously dope but Macy's camp was much better for actual basketball.

If I had to rank my favorite camps...

1. Kentucky Football Camp - 1990 (one of the only full contact camps around)
2. Kentucky Basketball Camp - 1988
3 (tie). Naval Academy Football Camp - 1990
3 (tie). EKU Football Camp - 1990

Went to Don Lane's camp at Transy, UK camp was too expensive according to my parents. You fortunate sons.

SAE is right. Macy's Camp was all about fundamentals centered around drills. Pitino's Camp was mostly about playing 2 on 2, 3 on 3, and of course 5 on 5. Plus, Pitino being the prima donna he was at his own camp only like 2/5 days.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
Chad Doggy... Was too young to pay attention to the lassies. Pre puberty.

Got more excitement from Mash and being able to order pizza at night once we were done with games/drills.

I'll bet the electricity at the Macy camp was off the charts.

It was a very good camp, actually. Nice mix of fundamentals and scrimmage, IMO. He wasn't jaded like he is nowadays and was pretty personable.

Now Don Meyer's camps were nuts. Loved/hated those GD sweltering camps at Lipscomb. Extremely structured and the counselors were very disciplinary but man, they knew what they were doing. Old man Meyer was an intimidating dude. The shot mechanic teachings were just crazy good and you could really see yourself improving. But crappy facilities with no AC sweating your ass off trying to keep up with your 'notebook'? Shew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT