ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something doesn't add up on the ole common sense meter.

- we land the highest-ranked freshman class in school history during the NIL era
AND
- we can't convince any current players to stay here or transfers to come here during the NIL era

So, are we good at the NIL or not? I think it's BS to say we are not doing enough to put $$$ in players pockets to load up the roster. I do think it's legit to say we haven't figured out how to best make it work on our behalf OVERALL. Maybe pay out less per player and spread the love around more? I dunno.
Here is what I am guessing. Cal apparently wants transfers to “earn” their NIL. He is also well-known for favoring freshmen with NBA potential over everyone else on his roster. So if you are a transfer and you see a hyped-up bunch of freshmen competing for your playing time (and possibly money), that’s not terribly appealing.

Also - 9/11.

So which coach is out there smashing it in the NIL? Just openly telling recruits he's got a pile of money waiting for them?

I’m convinced it’s style of play. We play a style that is completely foreign to other big time programs and a complete 180 of all nba teams.

If I were coaching at say, Arkansas… I would show film of how the nba plays, of how Arkansas plays, and then how Kentucky plays.

We bitch about it all year…don’t think other coaches aren’t using it against us.

Freshmen who will likely to sign multi-million dollar NBA contracts in a years time are less likely to require more guarantees than a 24 year old who's other options are China and Russia. They can also get deals through national companies like Wagner's with Nike.

Isn't the whole GD point of NIL BUYING players?

How can they earn it if they aren't here in the first place?
Is there not ONE single person in the athletic department that can explain all of this to these two goobers?

"Come to Kentucky, work hard, nose to the grindstone, and someday this shiny Kennedy half dollar is all yours. How about a Fresca, hmmmm? hmmmm?"

Something doesn't add up on the ole common sense meter.

- we land the highest-ranked freshman class in school history during the NIL era
AND
- we can't convince any current players to stay here or transfers to come here during the NIL era

So, are we good at the NIL or not? I think it's BS to say we are not doing enough to put $$$ in players pockets to load up the roster. I do think it's legit to say we haven't figured out how to best make it work on our behalf OVERALL. Maybe pay out less per player and spread the love around more? I dunno.
Potential transfers know they'll be cannon fodder for Cal's freshman class. Nobody wants to come here to sit in the back of the bus and carry water while the 5 star recruits figure shit out to prepare for next year's draft.

I'm not letting Cal off the hook here, because, like everyone else in the world I hate him, but this was just a really strange offseason.....

- loaded freshman class that presumably took up all of next year's minutes
- 3 potentially returning studs who waited forever to officially announce they were leaving (Oscar/Livingston/Reeves)

Put those two together, and there's no way any top transfer targets would decide to come to UK. So the NIL isn't the problem, it's that Cal didn't have the balls to put his foot down (in particular) with the 3 NBA Draft, uhhh....."prospects."

With Oscar and Livingston in particular, he should have cut bait immediately and went out and crushed it in the portal. Horrible decision on his part.

Especially since this has been described as a down year for recruits and he’s going all in on them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What is his true asking price if you don’t mind sharing?
At UK, they don’t call up and say they need X to get a player. They are trying to find legit NIL deals so when they meet with the player they can present the options.

It is a waste of time when the opposition is offering straight cash from a booster/collective.

At UK, they don’t call up and say they need X to get a player. They are trying to find legit NIL deals so when they meet with the player they can present the options.

It is a waste of time when the opposition is offering straight cash from a booster/collective.
Do you know what ballpark he himself is looking for?

With the Yanks postponed because of the toxic cloud from the Canadian book burning, you all made me download MLB app to catch some Reds action.

Not disappointed.

Reactions: jayroon
Def one of the funniest Stern shows ever. Iron Sheik was one of a kind and def not suited for today’s PC cancel culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT