ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Reeves, Livingston and Oscar are holding us hostage.
Yep. As much as people want to blame Cal for the lack of NIL guarantees, I feel like this is our biggest issue. What legit transfer is going to want to come here when you have guys at the same position still deciding on a return?

This culture of being held hostage by draft decisions for guys who are NOWHERE on the NBA draft radar has existed here for a while and it is ponderous.

All while Cal acts like it's by design and not an issue. Not only by design, but is the virtuous manner in which to handle running a program because it's "all about these kids".

-When I was in Amsterdam we had a hooker tell us she was gonna kick a camera up our buddies ass and had to piss in a literal hole in the floor at a fairly nice bar. So let's just pump the brakes on these folks leading us to Utopia.

-Weird that roster management and ability to land players is undoing Cal when he seemingly couldn't miss for his first 7 or 8 years. Oh, well. I'm not getting all bent at every decision during the spring and summer and resigned to us struggling Nov/Dec. This is just what we do now. Maybe we can make it the 2nd weekend one of these years, who knows?

-Don't forget, we're starting a grueling week in the Giro. Should be intense.

-Lot to cover in the Succession finale. Caint wait.

Lebron disappeared.
He just can’t go four full quarters anymore with 20 years of season play plus another couple seasons of playoff games. Dude has basically played 22+ years. As they say Father Time is undefeated. Not fun watching a great fade athletically, especially when he’s still leading his squad to WCFs still. He needs help and AD can’t do it all.

Reactions: jayroon
I’d go to the Ky all stars roster and pull as many as I could convince to play for their home state.

Side note about this years coaches, LMAO at Jeff Morrow coaching Iroquois. It’s been awhile since I’ve followed HS Hoops around Louisville but that’s a far cry from his days at Ballard or even J-Town. Been there 10 years and has them winning in a way I don’t ever remember Iroquois winning.

Reactions: jcrow10
Who is Cal going to reach out to today?

Maybe convince some Division II honk who averaged 10 a game for Northwest Dickhead State and shot 38% from 3 to join the team? That would make it 8 scholarship players and at least they could scrimmage 4 on 4.

Why would any good player want to come play for this lunatic who has shown a propensity to stall not only games but players and their games. How many players have left here and blown up in the NBA? Booker, SGA, Herro, etc. the list is endless. Too many other options for the transfers and probably don’t want to listen to Cal yell incessantly every game.

Cal on Dan Patrick

Not sure if you guys saw Cal's interview on Dan Patrick from a couple of weeks ago, but it was astoundingly tone deaf when it comes to NIL and roster management in general.

First, Cal says that he's had "about 10 guys" transfer out of UK over his time here. I haven't gone thru the years, but there is no way we've had less than 1 per year. Does he actually believe that shit or is hoping everyone is too stupid to recognize how big of a liar her is?

Secondly, his response to why you shouldn't guarantee NIL money at UK is to reference how many of his players have gotten max contracts in the NBA. Do you actually think guys like Dickinson and Johnson were considering a transfer to UK at this point in their careers and have designs on one day getting a max contract in the NBA? Also, have ANY of the max contract guys under Cal played more than 1 season of college basketball? I can't think of a single goddamned one of them.

The more Cal talks, the more he reminds me of a geriatric whining about how they know more than their GPS.

RIght now- even if he can pull the kid from Northwest Dick- we still need two more to actually be able to scrimmage.

I assume he could just drop the guys off at the Johnson Center and they can call next.

Reactions: roguemocha
How many players have left here and blown up in the NBA? Booker, SGA, Herro, etc. the list is endless.
I'm as pissed as anyone at Cal at this point, but this is stupid.

They were 18 & 19 years old when they were here. Literally every player in the NBA has "blown up" compared to what they were as freshmen in college.

I assume we still have Horn, Darbyshire & Watkins as practice bodies. (along with Canada)

Or have they all entered the portal as well?

Chill, everyone. Lunardi just posted his up to date bracketology and we are a 5-seed!

If we don't have 10 legit scholarship players on the roster when we start playing for real, I swear I'm gonna update the Bitch Bus. Don't make me do it, Cal.

-if only folks had seen this coming 5 or so years ago, that would've been great.

-I'll be ecstatic if I this uberclass of children somehow leads Cal to glory...and will eat *all* the crow. *But* nothing is gonna be any different until the dude leaves.

^in the meantime I'll root for the BB cats, but my time/energy/cash is gonna go to the breadwinner. Stoops and Co are putting in work...and they *deserve* BBN. The other guy doesn't.

-go cats.

Pretty simple. D1 college ball is on par with International and G-League ball. If you look at those leagues players hop around all the time looking for the next best deal. Yeah, it makes for a crap product, but if you take 2/3 of our coach's salary and give it to the talent we'll have a significant advantage over other teams.

I'm as pissed as anyone at Cal at this point, but this is stupid.

They were 18 & 19 years old when they were here. Literally every player in the NBA has "blown up" compared to what they were as freshmen in college.

Dang, didn’t mean to offend you Willy. Everything is fine and Kentucky’s status in CBB is just as it’s always been. The Gold Standard.

The point was that Cal and his maniacal demeanor doesn’t help. CJ comes in after lighting it up at Iowa and couldn’t buy a basket here. Juzang was berated and didn’t produce. Transfers to UCLA and was the star of the tournament a few years ago. Guess it’s just coincidence.

Last edited:
Just to intervene from your incessant late May ramblings about your HOF coach...

Best movie beards...
~Stallone in Nighthawks
~Pacino in Serpico
~Redford in Jeremiah Johnson
~Eastwood in The G/B/U
~Heston in The Ten C's

~Harden, Tatum, Lebron...a lot of 4th qtr FAIL spread around this highly paid crew.

~A tad over 2 months until the big 6-0....look great, feel great, and people will know it.

~If Ethan Suplee can lose weight, then anyone can....great story.

https://people.com/health/ethan-suplee-reflects-on-weight-loss-journey/

Now...back to your ice cream venting....

That version of Cal is not coming back.

And that's the problem UK is in. They don't want to fire him because of how he resurrected the program. But we're paying him for past production and getting apathetic, mid-major results.

That stat someone posted last week about SEC winning percentages in conference is humiliating. And yet, with no leverage on the athletics departments side, they have no recourse.

He's in the fat Elvis stage of is career and it appears it's going to end the same as it did for the King.

That version of Cal is not coming back.

And that's the problem UK is in. They don't want to fire him because of how he resurrected the program. But we're paying him for past production and getting apathetic, mid-major results.

That stat someone posted last week about SEC winning percentages in conference is humiliating. And yet, with no leverage on the athletics departments side, they have no recourse.

He's in the fat Elvis stage of is career and it appears it's going to end the same as it did for the King.
I want to disagree and say that you're wrong, but that could very well be the case. I'm still optimistic but not without reservations.

Reactions: IB4UK
With NIL and the portal completely upending college sports to the point it's just an annual choose-em'-up, you have to think the market will eventually correct...

...why give a coach a 5+ year contract, let alone lifetime deal when you don't know who is going to be on the team year to year or if your coach can retain elite talent? As the employer why lock yourself into a long-term deal if your coach struggles to manage the new landscape?

Sure agents will push back but offer a two year deal with higher yearly compensation to allow yourself flexibility. Players and coaches have yearly options, it's time schools figure out how to regain some of their own.

Oh, shit…Willy said calm down, everyone. As long as we have ten players on scholarship (he didn’t clarify talent level of the scholarship fillers) we should all just sit back and let the cake bake.

It’s Hot damn Kentucky Basketball and we’re going to take solace when we have 10 scholarship players.

Well.. Touch that noise.
Read it again, Richie. I was being sarcastic. I said Chill, Lunardi has us as a 5-seed in his latest bracketology. I think we all expect and demand better than that. I then listed guys that couldn't make Strokin's team that currently fill out our roster.

Sorry if I wasn't clear that I am not happy with that as our roster and that I am infuriated every year that we only have 10 or 11 legit scholarship players. Especially after injuries have killed us the last few seasons.

I think we are on the same page.

Dang, didn’t mean to offend you Willy. Everything is fine and Kentucky’s status in CBB is just as it’s always been. The Gold Standard.

The point was that Cal and his maniacal demeanor doesn’t help. CJ comes in after lighting it up at Iowa and couldn’t buy a basket here. Juzang was berated and didn’t produce. Transfers to UCLA and was the star of the tournament a few years ago. Guess it’s just coincidence.
Huh?

Players generally get better as they get older. That's all I said. Sorry you don't understand that. Are there any players in the NBA that aren't better now than they were as college freshman?

Nothing else you are rambling about was mentioned by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT